ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 5
1 2345 >
Media Center>Must see Documentaries
Baby Lee 12:17 PM 07-09-2022
Seemed like a decent time, with everything else in the doldrums including new media. Plus this doc just came out and I couldn't find the right place to put it. Closest was 'must watch series' but this has different metrics.

Plus it's good to have a repository of people hyping good docs so people have inspiration to check them out.

It's 'the rest of the story' behind the abduction that led to the mini-series 'I Know my Name is Steve' and it has some twists and turns and some powerful emotion behind it.

This one, I suggest people go in as cold as they can, because it gets wild but in ways you wouldn't expect. But the trailer itself spoils some of it something fierce if you aren't aware of the existing narrative.

EDIT - by which I mean I suggest you skip the trailer below, but include it if you wish to watch it pre-spoiled, or need it to know if you are interested.

[Reply]
Danguardace 12:47 PM 07-09-2022

[Reply]
Danguardace 12:48 PM 07-09-2022

[Reply]
Rausch 01:58 PM 07-09-2022
I haven't heard of it and don't remember anything about it. I'll have to watch that this weekend.

Dear Zachary: A Letter To A Son About His Father isn't a fun ride but it's a very wild true story. It's one of those stories that will piss you off.

Killer Legends is a really enjoyable 3 part doc that covers the genesis of some common urban legends. How much is true and how much is exaggerated? That's the point of the doc and really surprising in some cases.

Tickled is one of the top 10 most fucked up Docs I've ever watched. It's really surprising and goes off in directions no one will expect. If you liked Hulu's Bigfoot doc series you'll probably like this. Be warned though - it might go further than you're willing to go...
[Reply]
TwistedChief 07:08 PM 07-09-2022
Three Identical Strangers is really good.

Dear Zachary is...powerful.

I'll throw Searching for Sugarman in there as a terrific watch.

So many amazing ones.
[Reply]
PunkinDrublic 07:27 PM 07-09-2022
“Class Action Park” About this unsafe amusement/water park in New Jersey that was unsafe as hell and had tons of injuries and deaths. Opened sometime in the late 70’s and somehow managed to not get shutdown until 96. Definitely a top 10 documentary for me. Entertaining and funny as hell.
[Reply]
Danguardace 08:17 PM 07-09-2022
Originally Posted by TwistedChief:
Three Identical Strangers is really good.

Dear Zachary is...powerful.

I'll throw Searching for Sugarman in there as a terrific watch.

So many amazing ones.
Yep Searching for sugarman is damn good
[Reply]
notorious 08:18 PM 07-09-2022
"Touching the Void"

2003 doc about 2 guys trying to survive after shit hits the fan on a mountain climb in the Andes.

Very well done story telling.
[Reply]
EPodolak 10:03 PM 07-09-2022
First to come to mind is a doc about the Formula One driver Ayrton Senna ("Senna") Unfolds like some very compelling Hollywood fiction.
[Reply]
Demonpenz 09:42 PM 07-10-2022
what the fuck is that donkey kong one called? King of kong?
[Reply]
Bump 01:00 AM 07-11-2022
Originally Posted by Demonpenz:
what the **** is that donkey kong one called? King of kong?
that was going to be what I was going to post. Classic, that fucking guy with the long hair thought he was some type of big deal, it was hilarious.
[Reply]
Fishpicker 01:57 AM 07-11-2022
Originally Posted by Bump:
that was going to be what I was going to post. Classic, that ****ing guy with the long hair thought he was some type of big deal, it was hilarious.
Billy Mitchell is a big deal. Someone bought the Twin Galaxies high scores database and then purged all his scores and banned Billy. it was determined that the video taped hi score of Donkey Kong was done using MAME.

Stil,l Billy did score the first perfect game of Pac Man and he did well in the live Kong Off competitions. all those scores are gone too.
[Reply]
Fishpicker 02:17 AM 07-11-2022

I really liked this one and the movie, Dog Town and Z-boys. It is about the first pro skateboard team

Penelope Spheeris directed this and directed the first Wayne's World movie.
[Reply]
KCUnited 07:46 AM 07-11-2022
Girl in the Picture on Netflix is pretty fucked up.

Child abduction with some crazy twists similar to the OP doc.
[Reply]
SuperChief 09:56 AM 07-11-2022
Love documentaries, and I'm pumped to check out some recommendations from this thread. Good idea!

Some of my favorites, in no particular order:

Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room
The Vow (series)
13th
Metallica: Some Kind of Monster
Making a Murderer (series)
Jiro Dreams of Sushi
[Reply]
Page 1 of 5
1 2345 >
Up