ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 4
< 123 4 >
Media Center>ELVIS (2022)
O.city 12:27 PM 02-17-2022

[Reply]
InChiefsHeaven 03:37 PM 02-20-2022
He died when I was 6. I was aware of him, but throughout my life, my folks were more fans of his than I. He was the same age as my dad. I never really got into his music. I'm a musician, and I respect him for what he did, but I just never really got into his stuff.

Last summer the wife and I went to Memphis. Visited Graceland (shockingly small) and the tourist trap museum across the street. But the big thing was Sun Studios. Holy shit, that was surreal. They have a "x" on the floor marking where he stood to record, and at the end of the tour they brought out the actual mic he sang into...which you are allowed to handle. It was kinda amazing, and I have found myself after that trip wanting to know more about the legend and the man. Graceland was eerie and surreal, and it made him that much more real to me. Of course, the museum talks about all the good Elvis stuff, not the cheating, the drugs, and the insanity that consumed him in his later years. I'm officially fascinated though.

If you are a musician, you need to go to Memphis and check out Sun Studios. I will watch this movie. I hope it doesn't suck.
Attached: Elvis.jpg (47.8 KB) 
[Reply]
PurpleJesus28 05:59 PM 02-20-2022
Originally Posted by InChiefsHeaven:
He died when I was 6. I was aware of him, but throughout my life, my folks were more fans of his than I. He was the same age as my dad. I never really got into his music. I'm a musician, and I respect him for what he did, but I just never really got into his stuff.

Last summer the wife and I went to Memphis. Visited Graceland (shockingly small) and the tourist trap museum across the street. But the big thing was Sun Studios. Holy shit, that was surreal. They have a "x" on the floor marking where he stood to record, and at the end of the tour they brought out the actual mic he sang into...which you are allowed to handle. It was kinda amazing, and I have found myself after that trip wanting to know more about the legend and the man. Graceland was eerie and surreal, and it made him that much more real to me. Of course, the museum talks about all the good Elvis stuff, not the cheating, the drugs, and the insanity that consumed him in his later years. I'm officially fascinated though.

If you are a musician, you need to go to Memphis and check out Sun Studios. I will watch this movie. I hope it doesn't suck.
Thats a great story.I'll admit i'm not the biggest fan of Elvis,but of course he's a legend.One of my favorite bands U2(particularly 80s and 90s)visited Graceland/Sun Studios in the late 80s,thats about the only footage i've seen of it,but it does look like a cool place to visit.I think even the band were in awe of it,and it was pretty cool they recorded some good songs at Sun Studio.
[Reply]
InChiefsHeaven 09:02 PM 02-20-2022
Originally Posted by PurpleJesus28:
Thats a great story.I'll admit i'm not the biggest fan of Elvis,but of course he's a legend.One of my favorite bands U2(particularly 80s and 90s)visited Graceland/Sun Studios in the late 80s,thats about the only footage i've seen of it,but it does look like a cool place to visit.I think even the band were in awe of it,and it was pretty cool they recorded some good songs at Sun Studio.
They mentioned that, some songs from Rattle and Hum. There is also a picture on the wall of the Million Dollar Quartet - Elvis, Johnny Cash, Jerry Lee Lewis and Carl Perkins. Apparently, Elvis just walked into the studio (he was signed by then and kinda famous) and started jamming with the fellas, and somebody said they should call Johnny Cash...who showed up. They play some of the jam session on the tour...it's awesome.

[Reply]
PurpleJesus28 10:31 PM 02-20-2022
Originally Posted by InChiefsHeaven:
They mentioned that, some songs from Rattle and Hum. There is also a picture on the wall of the Million Dollar Quartet - Elvis, Johnny Cash, Jerry Lee Lewis and Carl Perkins. Apparently, Elvis just walked into the studio (he was signed by then and kinda famous) and started jamming with the fellas, and somebody said they should call Johnny Cash...who showed up. They play some of the jam session on the tour...it's awesome.

Thats really cool,yeah Rattle and Hum was a time capsule of a movie,it was supposed to be a much smaller project than it was.Bono years later even wrote a silly song about Elvis,that included the lyrics he '' would've been a sissy without Johnny Cash''. I'm not exactly sure thats true,but JC was more of a bad ass,i've heard,i liked that movie they made about him.
[Reply]
MarkDavis'Haircut 11:48 PM 02-24-2022
Originally Posted by PackerinMo:
The Colonel was an asshole who over worked Elvis, the King needed rest, but the Colonel would never let him.
He also rarely left Elvis tour and pushed him to be in those awful teenager movies.
[Reply]
kevrunner 08:25 PM 08-30-2022
Coming to HBO Max on Sept. 2nd
[Reply]
BigRedChief 10:09 PM 08-30-2022
Originally Posted by Chief Pagan:
I remember trying to figure out why I should be all worked up when Elvis died.

Same could be said when Lennon died.
dude, one OD’d on a toilet. One was murdered to impress a celebrity. A little different way to go out.
[Reply]
listopencil 08:27 AM 09-01-2022
Originally Posted by Frazod:
I regard Elvis and the Beatles pretty much the same - I recognize that they were part of the building blocks of the stuff that came later that I like, but I just never cared much for their music. Although I certainly like Elvis more than the Beatles. Out of the 1,000+ songs I have in my iTunes library, I have exactly zero Beatles songs and one Elvis Presley song.

I am a child of the 70s, and when it comes to music, the late 70s. Not much interest in stuff that came before, with a handful of exceptions.
I enjoy Beatles music much, much more than Elvis music. I actually love a handful of their songs. The lyrics, the melody, sometimes just the way all of it fits together. I allowed my kids to have radios in their bedrooms but not TV's and the radios had to be tuned to channels that I approved. So my younger daughter (kid#3) listened to a classic Rock channel and every Sunday morning they would do 'Breakfast With The Beatles.' The DJ would focus on one song and tell the story of how it came to be. Complete with archival interviews of the relevant artists. Then he'd play that song at the end of the segment and do multiple segments. Eventually my daughter approached me about it and told me that she had discovered a new band, that they were great, and that she'd like me to try to find a CD of their music if I could. When she told me that this new band was named The Beatles I told her that I was pretty sure I could find something. I got her The Beatles 1 on CD and spilled the beans when I gave it to her. That shit doesn't happen with Elvis music.
[Reply]
BWillie 11:10 AM 09-05-2022
Originally Posted by PurpleJesus28:
Thats really cool,yeah Rattle and Hum was a time capsule of a movie,it was supposed to be a much smaller project than it was.Bono years later even wrote a silly song about Elvis,that included the lyrics he '' would've been a sissy without Johnny Cash''. I'm not exactly sure thats true,but JC was more of a bad ass,i've heard,i liked that movie they made about him.
I don't really like either but I don't understand Johnny Cash. Did not appear he had alot of talent, subpar voice, he just loved music. However, Elvis had alot of talent.
[Reply]
BWillie 11:12 AM 09-05-2022
I went back and watched Elvis footage on YouTube because I thought maybe all of the girls losing their shit had to be exaggerated but nope. If people were appalled by a man in a suit simply moving his legs my god they would start a war if they saw a Cardi B or Megan Thee Stallion music video. Their heads would explode.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 11:35 AM 09-05-2022
The Colonel was an asshole who over worked Elvis, the King needed rest, but the Colonel would never let him.
Yeah the film is blaming him for Elvis’s early demise. Since this the first family approved biopic you can expect them to blame Parker and Elvis had no blame for him dying on the toilet. They have a right to their view.

Just a brief mention of all the women he cheated with while married. Didn’t even bother to hide it. He did all those drugs. He agreed to work all the time. He was Elvis. He could have got his way on anything.

I just think the movie was a whitewash of his druggie reputation for the last 15 years of his life. So many drugs it caused a heart attack at 42.
[Reply]
Pepe Silvia 10:04 PM 09-05-2022
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
Yeah the film is blaming him for Elvis’s early demise. Since this the first family approved biopic you can expect them to blame Parker and Elvis had no blame for him dying on the toilet. They have a right to their view.

Just a brief mention of all the women he cheated with while married. Didn’t even bother to hide it. He did all those drugs. He agreed to work all the time. He was Elvis. He could have got his way on anything.

I just think the movie was a whitewash of his druggie reputation for the last 15 years of his life. So many drugs it caused a heart attack at 42.
It was well known that he had a pill habit and over ate as well. He had Cheeseburgers and fries every single night for a SNACK.

Not saying it was all Colonels fault but he did over work him. I don’t think they are allowed to stop working without consequences. Many stars fear they will lose their place at the table if they take a break.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 10:16 PM 09-05-2022
It was well known that he had a pill habit and over ate as well. He had Cheeseburgers and fries every single night for a SNACK.

Not saying it was all Colonels fault but he did over work him. I don’t think they are allowed to stop working without consequences. Many stars fear they will lose their place at the table if they take a break.
sitting aside the general consensus that Col. Parker ripped off Elvis. Made too many decisions based on what’s right for him not Elvis. How many celebrities have bad agents? That’s an excuse.

He was Elvis. He was a very world wide popular entertainer. Elvis was a grown man perfectly capable of getting his way. We shouldn’t whitewash history because he was beloved.

Elvis came to Springfield Mo. in 1976. My mom went to that concert. She was one of those original high school girls in love with him.

Seeing her smile when she got home, how she talked about that night decades later, for me selfishly, I’m glad Elvis came to town.
[Reply]
Zebedee DuBois 11:26 AM 09-07-2022
I went thru Graceland about 5 years ago. Not that I was a fan, more like it was a bit of Americana to take in. I gotta say, the Elvis business is still employing a LOT of people, generating a lot of money. The house itself is Sooo 1970s and much smaller than you might think. The tour did not include the throne room where he died.
The film showed him deeply devoted to his mama, and his pops to be weak willed, in other words, ripe for an opportunist like the Colonel to control. It didn't show Elvis strong enough to cast Parker aside. Who knows what's true. Tom Hanks, under a ton of latex, gave a very creepy portrayal.
[Reply]
ModSocks 02:29 PM 09-07-2022
Apparently my son looks like a young Elvis. My mother in law said that. I didn't believe her. Then i saw the pictures. I get it now.
[Reply]
Page 3 of 4
< 123 4 >
Up