ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 9 of 469
« First < 56789 101112131959109 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***Official 2022 Royals Season Repository Thread***
ChiefsCountry 11:07 AM 01-01-2022
For all things Royals in 2022. #3 minor league system according to Baseball America. The Bobby Witt era should begin this year. Will Salvy still be the homerun king? How does the glut of infield players work out? Will the young pitchers take the next step?

Free Agents/Trades Acquisitions
Zack Greinke, P
Amir Garrett, P
Taylor Clarke, P

Top 10 Prospects from Baseball America
1. Bobby Witt, SS
2. Asa Lacy, P
3. MJ Melendez, C
4. Nick Pratto, 1B
5. Jackson Kowar, P
6. Kyle Isabel, OF
7. Frank Mozzicato, P
8. Ben Kudrna, P
9. Jonathan Bowlan, P
10. Vinnie Pasquantino, 1B

Duncan's Top Royals Prospects
Spoiler!

[Reply]
KChiefs1 01:09 PM 02-19-2022
Only good thing about the MLB lockout is that it won’t effect BWJ’s development.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Reply]
WhawhaWhat 04:01 PM 02-20-2022
This is interesting....

Broadcasters explain that all nine Vanderbilt players are wearing electronic wristbands showing what pitch the coach is calling from the dugout

It’s the first year this is legal in college baseball pic.twitter.com/AohbaLEGfs

— Jomboy Media (@JomboyMedia) February 20, 2022

[Reply]
PurpleJesus28 07:00 PM 02-20-2022
Originally Posted by WhawhaWhat:
This is interesting....

Shit,thats crazy.How do you shake off the sign now haha.
[Reply]
KChiefs1 04:02 PM 02-25-2022
https://theathletic.com/3134538/2022...rade-and-more/

Originally Posted by :
Over the last three years, Keith Law focused plenty on the Royals’ crop of pitching prospects from the 2018 MLB Draft. Now that most of them have debuted, something else in the Royals’ system has Law’s attention: The revamped hitting development department, and what it means for the club’s top prospects.

“It’s remarkable, unprecedented in my memory at least,” Law said. “They flipped the whole system on its head.”

Law recently ranked four Royals in his top 100: Bobby Witt Jr. (No. 2), MJ Melendez (No. 27), Nick Pratto (No. 54) and Asa Lacy (No. 90). The system as a whole moved from No. 15 in 2021 to No. 7 in 2022.

His top-20 Royals prospects ranking featured a bevy of known talents such as Nick Loftin, Frank Mozzicato and Vinnie Pasquantino. It also mentioned sleepers such as Venezuelan outfielder Junior Marin, a 17-year-old who hit .380/.469/.696 in the Dominican Summer League.

Given that overview, we thought it’d be valuable to ask Law five questions about the Royals’ farm system and the potential that lies ahead.

A bunch of the 2018 MLB Draft class of pitchers has graduated from the list. As you look at what Daniel Lynch, Brady Singer, Jackson Kowar and Kris Bubic have done, what have you thought? And what do you expect, especially from Lynch and Kowar, who will enter their first seasons next year?

I don’t think the process is over for any of those guys. And the lost year for several in 2020, plus the challenge of pitchers getting to Triple A/the big leagues and adjusting to a different baseball, should temper our expectations for prospects as well. That said, Singer and Bubic have been about what I expected; Lynch a bit less; Kowar a lot less. Singer has never had a good pitch for left-handed batters, and that’s still true, so it’s not a surprise that he’s struggled with them.

Carlos Hernández is a guy who seemed to really impress in 2021 (a 3.68 ERA and 4.08 FIP in 85 2/3 innings with 74 strikeouts and 41 walks). What did you think of what he was able to do, given how you’d evaluated him in past years?

It was pretty fluky — pitchers generally aren’t much more effective from the stretch than they are with nobody on, but he was. He has a very effective four-seamer, and the slider has a chance to be a weapon for him, but I think he’s more likely a two-pitch reliever than a starter, especially with no real pitch to get lefties out. He should junk that curveball, too.

You mentioned, in regard to versatile prospect Nick Loftin, that it might make sense to move him. Given the Royals’ catcher situation with reigning All-Star and Silver Slugger Salvador Perez, what do you think when folks ask the question: Would it make sense to move MJ Melendez?

No.

Oh, perhaps you want more of an explanation? Perez is 31 and coming off a huge outlier year when he still barely managed a .300-plus on-base percentage. Catchers do not age well, given the extreme wear and tear of the position. Since 2000, only six catchers have managed 10+WAR from age 32 onward, and only one produced more than 15 WAR. All had better on-base skills than Perez does.

I know the Royals gave Perez a huge contract, but it’s a bet against the history of the position. Moving Melendez would destroy much of his value. It would also double down on a bet that Perez will age better than 90 percent of catchers in MLB history. I know sometimes you put a giant stack of chips on eight the hard way and then roll two fours, but that’s not the best way to bet.

Many have asked you, in relation to Melendez and Pratto, about the Royals’ hitting development processes. How do you view what the club has done holistically?

This was an organization that did not preach working the count and getting on base; if anything there were at least a few individual cases where the team tried to get the players to swing earlier in counts, especially players who could run, to put the ball in play (even by bunting) and let their speed play. But this was an org-wide philosophical shift, and one that I think reflects their understanding of how the next great Royals team will be built — they’re not building another high BABIP, strong defense club like the 2015 World Series winner. This team is going to get on base and put some balls in the seats.

I can’t say enough good things about it — their entire staff deserves so much credit, as do the players who implemented these changes.

You’ve covered the farm systems built by this specific front office for a long time; broadly, how would you assess its body of work?

I think my last answer gets at a lot of this. I wouldn’t want to give one grade or one report to their 15-plus years, because the way they’ve gone about acquiring and developing players has changed so much in that time. They have altered their philosophies as needed. When years of taking high school pitchers didn’t work, they shifted and went heavily for college arms, and now there are the makings of a very good rotation.

(Then they went back to high school arms in 2021, so we’ll have to see how this next group works out.)

I think this time around they’re going to get more production from players they signed as international free agents as well. Most of all, I’m always impressed when a front office realizes something isn’t working and is willing to say, “The way we were doing it was wrong, and we need to try a different approach.” It’s hard to admit you’re wrong, and harder when you’ve invested money and time into something that isn’t panning out.

Good for the Royals for doing it, and I hope the results they saw in the minors in 2021 result in gains in the majors in 2022 and beyond.

[Reply]
BWillie 04:19 PM 02-25-2022
Originally Posted by WhawhaWhat:
This is interesting....

This is great. Less reliance on catchers. Will be a ton of analytics into pitch calling now.
[Reply]
dlphg9 04:21 PM 02-25-2022
Originally Posted by PurpleJesus28:
Shit,thats crazy.How do you shake off the sign now haha.
Run over to dug out and say hey pick another one. Lol
[Reply]
dallaschiefsfan 02-25-2022, 05:00 PM
This message has been deleted by dallaschiefsfan.
KChiefs1 04:55 PM 02-26-2022
https://theathletic.com/3123837/2022...ises-and-more/

Originally Posted by :
KANSAS CITY, Mo. — To your questions (which have been edited for clarity), and thank you for sending them over …

What are the chances that MJ Melendez, Nick Pratto and Bobby Witt Jr. all break camp with the team? — Anonymous

If this question is about the chance of all three breaking camp together in 2022, the short answer is this: not likely. But it’s worth delving deeper into each individual case.

We’ll start with Bobby Witt Jr., whom The Athletic’s Keith Law recently ranked as the No. 2 prospect in Major League Baseball behind Baltimore Orioles catcher Adley Rutschman.

“This was as close a call between the top two prospects that I can recall having,” Law wrote, “probably since my No. 1 and 2 were named Mike and Bryce before the 2011 season — and having Witt second here is no slight to him.”

By now, you’re assuredly aware of Witt’s ability. In 2021, playing in the upper levels of the minor leagues at age 20, Witt posted a .936 OPS with 35 doubles, 33 home runs, 97 RBIs and 29 stolen bases. If that doesn’t convincingly answer Royals president of baseball operations Dayton Moore’s first rule of promoting prospects — the player has to have premium talent — it’d be hard to know what would.

He weighs about 205 pounds now as opposed to about 198 pounds last year and has enhanced his mobility, according to those whom he works out with at Athlete Performance Enhancement Center (APEC) in Fort Worth, Texas, so he should satisfy Moore’s second rule: The player has to be performing.

There’s little question about Moore’s rule No. 3: There has to be an opportunity. While the Royals boast three premium infielders in Adalberto Mondesi, Nicky Lopez and Whit Merrifield, those within the organization have acknowledged that Witt’s defensive talent, range and availability could be a boon at third base or second base.

So, it’s hard to imagine his not breaking camp with the club, service time be damned.

As for Melendez, his talent is obvious, too. Law ranked the 23-year-old as his No. 27 prospect in baseball. He wrote: “Couple the mechanical adjustments with a whole new plan at the plate and you get a premium offensive catcher with that cannon arm.” Melendez’s talent is obvious. His performance in camp will matter. More than anything, the question mark is about the opportunity. Salvador Perez, 31, is the Royals’ catcher. He hit 48 home runs last season. Expecting him to relinquish his starts behind the plate feels like folly. However, depending on roster health, the performance of Hunter Dozier and the presence (or lack thereof) of Carlos Santana, the Royals could need a designated hitter. In theory, Melendez could fill that spot while also playing spot time at catcher to allow for a more refreshed Perez. If that’s the route the Royals choose, Melendez could break camp with the club.

Then there’s Pratto, whom Law ranked as his No. 54 prospect. Law wrote of the 23-year-old: “He’s an above-average defender at first who should post high walk rates, helping him even if his batting averages aren’t great, and getting him to 25-30 homers a year.” Pratto’s defensive ability will provide immense value for the entire infield, even if he struggles early with the bat. As with Melendez, his training camp production will matter. Also as with Melendez, the obstacle most in his way is opportunity. Though Santana posted a .661 OPS in 2021, the Royals have him under contract for 2022 at $10.5 million. Because of that, the Royals will likely play him. Unless they choose to trade him once MLB’s lockout of the players wraps up. If a trade were to happen, and the Royals were to decide that they did not want Dozier to play first base, Pratto’s time could come.

In conclusion, numerous dominoes would have to fall for all three to break camp with the club together. Regardless, the time for each should come quickly.

Who will have the highest WAR at the end of the season: Nicky Lopez, Bobby Witt Jr., Whit Merrifield or Adalberto Mondesi? — Yort C.

Before I answer this one, think for a second about the potential Royals infield.

Whether the Royals start Lopez, Witt or Mondesi at shortstop, ponder the potential of all three standing on the dirt at the same time. Given the nature of shifts in this era of the game, has any organization ever boasted three plus-shortstops at each infield spot? It feels unlikely.

And say, God forbid, one of the three suffers an injury. The Royals could plug in Merrifield, who many thought could win the American League Gold Glove award at second base in 2022. The point: What Royals fans might soon see could be special.

As you can see, Yort, projections would answer your question with Witt. And for as much as that makes sense given his talent — “Witt’s tools package is among the best in the game: He’s at least a 70 runner, has an 80 arm, has plus power, and his hands and feet make him a plus glove at shortstop,” Law wrote — the big-league jump appears daunting. For that reason, I’ll stick with the safe route, expecting their order in WAR to fall like this: Merrifield, Lopez, Witt, then Mondesi for lack-of-availability reasons.

The 2022 Kansas City Royals are going to be known for their _______. — Drew C.

Defense.

Potentially three plus shortstops playing the three infield spots with a special defensive first baseman in Pratto and Perez behind the plate?

Uh, yeah.

Is Salvador Perez overrated? — Brandon W.

Maybe you read this question, stood up, grabbed your nearest lint cloth, cleaned your glasses, reread the question and closed your eyes. If so, we can relate. This is not the first time Brandon W. has posed this thought.

Hmm …

Baseball-Reference goes back to 1871. That’s 151 years ago. Since then, only 224 players have ever played 500 games at catcher (90 percent of their games played at the position). Of those 224, Perez ranks No. 13 in total WAR (29.6). Here are the only catchers in this era of the game who top him: Ivan Rodriguez (68.7), Yadier Molina (42.1), Jason Kendall (41.7), Russell Martin (38.8) and Brian McCann (32).

Other than Perez, who is only 31, Molina remains active. But that’s it. There’s no telling how many more years Perez will play, but his commitment to his body — check his daily Instagram stories during this lockout — should lend itself to longevity. He could pass all but Rodriguez and Molina.

Overrated?

(Shakes head.)

You could also mention the seven All-Star appearances, the five Gold Glove awards, the four Silver Slugger awards, the World Series MVP and the World Series ring.

But that’s all.

If the concessions at Kauffman Stadium could have one of these items, which would you pick: Slap’s ribs, Q39 burnt ends, Joe’s Z-man? — Mark S.

Nobody actually cares what barbecue item a local writer prefers, but I will take this opportunity to express my love for the Z-man. Maybe this is a cheap answer. Maybe it’s obvious. If that’s how you feel, I will be OK. As one highly regarded Royals prospect recently said, “Cliches are cliches for a reason.” The Z-man is to die for. You have arguably the best sauce in Kansas City. (Gates, I see you.) Beneath it, you have a hot crispy onion ring. Beneath that, you have smoked provolone cheese. Then the savory brisket. Add in the fries with the seasoning that may or may not have been handed down from the heavens, and yes, you now know what you should be having for dinner tonight.

Do the Royals believe Kyle Isbel is a long-term option as an outfield starter or is he the guy who happens to be atop the right-field depth chart while they try to go get someone else? — Brad S.

During a lockout, you may find yourself scrolling through Baseball Savant on a random Tuesday night. And if you do, you may stumble upon charts such as these:

Isbel’s entire 2021 season was fascinating. Essentially, he raked during spring training to the point that the Royals promoted him to their Opening Day roster. He started the season in right field, contributed in numerous games, then began to struggle against a quality of pitching he had never faced before.

Shane Bieber and Lance Lynn? Quite the step up from High-A Wilmington, where Isbel played in 2019.

Turns out, after he was demoted to Triple-A Omaha, the Royals hitting development department, led by senior director of player development and hitting performance Alec Zumwalt, uncovered what Isbel termed a “hip slide.” To fix things, he turned his back foot inward, eliminating pressure on the inside part of his foot. He then began to rake again.

That, of course, propelled another promotion. Hitting a baseball is a task that requires correct mechanics, a clear mind and a mobile body. Working in sync, those characteristics can help against the best pitchers in the world. Isbel is proof. His swing-and-miss dipped, but his numbers rose. In 36 plate appearances in April, he posted a .630 OPS. In 44 plate appearances in September, he posted a .930 OPS. Interestingly, he did also have reverse splits (an .885 OPS against lefties and a .751 OPS against righties).

What does that mean long term? The sample remains too small to say. But Isbel will earn opportunities. The Royals believe strongly in his work ethic. How that translates in-game consistently against the top pitchers will likely tell the tale.

Are you more concerned about right field or center field? Are the answers for both positions on the team now? — Robert A.

This question requires clarification: Are you talking about 2022 or beyond? Let’s look at both.

In 2022, the Royals center fielder will almost certainly be Michael A. Taylor, whom the Royals signed to a two-year extension worth $9 million last season. What Taylor brings becomes clear by looking at this chart:

As a hitter, he tends to whiff at pitches. He strikes out often. He rarely walks. As a defender, he’s arguably (and, boy, it would be hard to argue against) the best in the game. Here’s how longtime outfield coaching expert Rusty Kuntz described Taylor’s defensive prowess: “I’m seeing the reads of Ken Griffey Jr., the running motion of Devon White, and it’s hard to compare his arm. His arm stroke is beautiful. It’s just beautiful.”

Now, is that type of defensive ability sustainable every day in a lineup? This is the question the Royals will have to answer. The Royals play 81 games a year at Kauffman Stadium, which has the largest amount of fair territory in the American League. Still, his overall value in FanGraphs’ WAR-to-dollar valuation ($14.9 million in 2021) ranked 11th out of 13 qualified center fielders. Duplicating that type of production essentially would solidify the Royals’ extension, but will it be enough for the Royals to compete the way they want to? Time will tell. Center field remains a spot that feels fit for a trade as the Royals’ young starters enter arbitration.

As for right field, when Witt arrives, and if Mondesi is healthy, it’s possible Merrifield could move out there. In 2019 and ’20, he posted positive outs-above-average marks in right field. His speed is obvious, even if he is 33 years old. The Royals’ other present option seems as if it could be Dozier, but he has never posted a positive outs-above-average mark out there. In 128 defensive attempts in 2021 alone, he posted -6 outs above average.

Isbel could be a future option, depending on how he progresses. If he can’t stick, and if the Royals don’t extend Merrifield, the Royals may have to lean on another prospect, such as Melendez or Nick Loftin, or trade some of their young arms for a capable option.

Of the young starters currently on the MLB roster (Jackson Kowar, Daniel Lynch, Kris Bubic, Brady Singer, Jonathan Heasley, Carlos Hernández, Angel Zerpa, etc.) who is going to take the biggest step forward this season? Who is going to be a surprise to the fans as a breakout pitcher, whether a starter or a reliever? — Jason P.

The easy answer here might actually be Kowar, given the gap between how he performed and the level at which he may be capable of performing. But Lynch feels as if he’s the best choice.

Part of that is how prospect evaluators discussed him before his debut in 2021. Law ranked him as his No. 17 prospect in 2021 and wrote: “His fastball doesn’t play up to its velocity, so he’ll need to pitch more with his secondary stuff, but his slider was already plus and his changeup looks like one now, too. He’ll have to keep working on repeating his delivery to boost his command and control, but this is elite stuff from the left side, and his arsenal has only improved since we last saw him.”

This held true. Here’s how Eno Sarris’ advanced metrics graded Lynch’s individual pitches:

Lynch’s sinker was more effective than his four-seam, so maybe upping the usage on that pitch would help him. Regardless, more sliders and curveballs for strikes and for chase seem like they could help. That adjusted usage, combined with more consistent control and potentially more velocity in a new, full season, is why it feels as if Lynch does have another gear.

Dylan Coleman might not totally be a surprise for folks as a reliever, given he made his debut in 2021. But he would be my pick. He has not only two plus pitches (a four-seam fastball and slider), per Stuff+, but also a closer-type disposition that should work at the big-league level.

Who is a surprise player who will make it out of spring training not among the big three prospects (Witt, Pratto, Melendez) and why? — Rick W.

We started with the three prospects, so we might as well end around them. Here’s a name for you: Nathan Webb. You will read much more about him soon. For now, know this: He is a Kansas City native who throws 100 mph and has a plus changeup. He also already has a World Series ring. Again, check back soon for so much more.

[Reply]
Jenson71 05:09 PM 02-26-2022
If Salvy can pass Kendall on the WAR chart, why couldn't he pass Molina?

Salvy is a HOF.
[Reply]
BWillie 03:31 AM 02-27-2022
Originally Posted by Jenson71:
If Salvy can pass Kendall on the WAR chart, why couldn't he pass Molina?

Salvy is a HOF.
Almost a surefire hall of famer at this point unless he suffers some super bad injuries.
[Reply]
KChiefs1 01:59 AM 02-28-2022
https://theathletic.com/3144740/2022...chicago-bears/

Royals prospect Vinnie Pasquantino talks Licey experience, player rankings and the Chicago Bears

Originally Posted by :
SURPRISE, Ariz. — Vinnie Pasquantino plops down on a metal bench inside the Royals’ hitting hub. It’s a chilly evening at the Royals’ spring training facility. A reporter asks: How are things? Pasquantino stares straight ahead.

“I’m feeling great,” he says.

Then he deadpans.

“I’m not going to tell you I’m in the best shape of my life.”

Pasquantino, 24, is here for minor-league spring training. A wave of players arrived last Wednesday. Their days begin in the morning. They stretch. They bang baseballs into nets inside the hitting hub. They walk across the emerald green grounds toward the baseball fields, where they take batting practice against coaches, then live at-bats against Royals pitchers.

The day ends, and they’re free to roam around, which is how Pasquantino — a left-handed-hitting first baseman whom The Athletic’s Keith Law ranked as the Royals’ No. 7 prospect — finds himself in this conversation about his formative Dominican Winter League experience, his prospect status and his role as the general manager of the other team that has the attention of Royals camp: the Chicago Bears franchise on the Madden NFL video game. (More on that later.)

First, back to the state of the way he feels.

This is where his avid sports fandom and awareness begin to show. Why not say he’s in the best shape of his life?

“I could,” he said. “But we joke about it. What does that mean? I guess, you always want to have that in your back pocket to be able to say.”

Granted, Pasquantino’s offseason was not that long. Fresh off of a .310/.405/.560 line at Double-A Northwest Arkansas, the 11th-round pick from Old Dominion flew to the Dominican Republic to play for Licey. During one of his first days with the club in Santo Domingo, a teammate walked up to him and introduced himself. It was three-time All-Star Hanley Ramirez.

“I was like, ‘You don’t need to introduce yourself. I know exactly who you are,’” Pasquantino said, laughing.

Another teammate was longtime utility big-leaguer Emilio Bonifacio. This time, Pasquantino introduced himself and told him how, growing up, he’d worn tape underneath his sweatbands the way Bonifacio always had because he thought it was cool.

“It was crazy being around guys I’d watched growing up,” Pasquantino said. “But then it was, ‘OK, Hanley is my teammate.’ We talked hitting. If you’d told 10-year-old me I’d be talking hitting as a peer with Hanley, I don’t know what I would have thought.”

He does know what he thinks about the way he performed. In 31 plate appearances, he posted a .133 batting average, which he brought up. Rather than sticking with the “I-don’t-look-at-my-numbers cliche,” he admitted that he knew it exactly.

“Why fake it?” he said. “I sucked.”

Most jarring was his strikeout-to-walk ratio. During the 2021 regular season, he walked 64 times and struck out 64 times. During his few weeks in the Dominican Republic, he walked once and struck out eight times. He said he’s traditionally a slow starter, but it did not help that pitchers operated differently than what he had faced in the minor leagues.

Take, for example, one night against a lefty starter who was attacking him with sliders down and away. Pasquantino, whose pitch-recognition skills are considered a strength, watched three of them sail past for balls. He was ahead in the count. Typically, a fastball would come next. But not against these pitchers, who were steadfastly committed to their game plan. The pitcher threw a slider; Pasquantino missed it. The pitcher threw another; Pasquantino missed another.

At that point, he explained now, he was overthinking things.

“It started spinning a little bit,” he said. “And that’s where I was able to learn. Getting my ass kicked helped me a lot.”

It helped him think about attacking pitchers without the bevy of gameplan material the Royals’ hitting development department provides. It also showed him how fans would react when he struggles; Licey has a fierce fan base and some folks on social media sent him death threats.

“That was the biggest moment of, ‘I can handle this. I’m playing a game. A game that I love with everything I’ve got and affects my emotions, but I know whom I have in my corner and I know the faith and confidence I have in myself,’” Pasquantino said. “That’s why in my head, I’m like, ‘I wish I had two weeks down there. Give me 20 more at-bats.’”

One night, playing first base on defense against Águilas, a hitter popped the ball up toward the first-base dugout. Pasquantino’s right knee buckled as he was running in pursuit. The injury was not serious, but he left soon after. He returned to the United States — to Nashville, where he lives with his girlfriend and their German shepherd, Bear.

A month of rehab on his knee allowed him to begin his offseason workout regimen. He would wake up in the morning, take Bear to doggy daycare (where Pasquantino worked a few shifts himself on afternoons after workouts) and head to his facility, where he’d hit, lift, field and throw. As the offseason played out, outlets across the country raised his name among prospect lists.

What did Pasquantino think of that?

“I think I’m a good hitter,” he said. “I think I’m a good baseball player. I think I’m a good defender. So what is somebody writing about me going to do? Should that affect my confidence? I should hope not. It’s cool. Like, I’m not going to say it’s not. Because when I was drafted, I was nowhere near those lists. In my mind, I’ve had two pretty good years. I’ve earned it.

“But the way I describe those things is, those things are an indicator of what I’ve done. Not what I will do. Just because I’m ranked as some prospect doesn’t mean I will be a future 20-year big leaguer. That’s dependent on what I do. And if you’re not on those lists, it doesn’t mean you’re not going to be a 20-year big-leaguer. That’s what’s incredible about baseball. Just because you go in the first round doesn’t mean you’re going to make it in this game. And just because you don’t get drafted doesn’t mean you’re not going to make it. What I worry about when I wake up in the morning and come here is, I want those guys to respect me in the locker room.”

Of course, his goal is to make the big leagues and win championships. For now, though, he sees the big picture. He’s here in Arizona playing the game he loves for a living, utilizing these workdays as a measuring stick for what’s to come.

Once the work ends and he’s finished speaking with a reporter, he heads back to The Fountains housing facility, sits down with the guys from the locker room who just so happen to be his roommates: Michael Massey, Jake Means and Nate Eaton. They discuss their current project beyond the diamond: They are rebuilding the Chicago Bears on the Madden NFL video game.

Pasquantino is the GM. Massey (who is from Chicago) is the head coach. Means is the scouting director. Eaton is the director of player personnel. They play on All-Madden. Each of the roommates plays an offense and defense series. Then they pass the sticks. In their first season, they started 0-7 and finished 5-12.

Needing assistance, they fielded thoughts and ideas from Royals staffers.

“We also went out and dipped our foot in free agency a little bit,” Pasquantino said.

They’re currently 12-4-1 in their second season. They’re excited about their No. 1 seed in the NFC and progress in general, but, as another sports cliche goes, taking the process day by day.

“That’s what we do,” he said.

[Reply]
dallaschiefsfan 08:23 AM 02-28-2022
Per Alec Lewis at The Athletic, it sounds like the Rusty Kuntz-ification of Nick Loftin as a center fielder has begun. I'm glad they are getting ahead on this. If he can continue to advance at AA this year, he should be on target to have a shot of winning CF in 2024...maybe even challenge MAT for some playing time in 2023.
[Reply]
KChiefs1 11:40 AM 02-28-2022
https://theathletic.com/3153457/2022...atto-and-more/

Royals prospect news and notes from Arizona: Nick Loftin, Nick Pratto and more

Originally Posted by :
SURPRISE, ARIZ. — When the clock hits 9 a.m. each morning, minor-league players walk outside the main building of Royals’ spring training facility and toward the green grass. They tote their blue Royals bat bags filled with equipment: bats wrapped with lime green grip; gloves inked with their names on the sides; multi-colored sunglasses so wide you’d think they double as ski goggles.

Then the day begins.

Minor-league camp is typically confined to the back fields, away from the eyes of spectators, big-league coaches and all of the executives. But that’s not the case right now, not during the owner-imposed lockout. These minor leaguers, from 18-year-old mega-prospects to 27-year-old men clinging to their dreams, are the focus.

A week into camp, there’s a typical sense of serenity all the way out here north of Phoenix, beneath the White Tank Mountains. Bobby Witt Jr. jokes with Clay Dungan. Jake Means chats with Nathan Eaton. They prepare for a day of work, which moves from high-intensity swings in the cages to fielding practice to live at-bats. Then, after noon, they grab food and many make their walk to The Fountains, a new residence for Royals players and staff, where they shoot pool, play Madden, sleep and prepare to do it all over again.

These are what the days look like within the Royals’ walls. This resembles the rigorously structured big-league spring training but carries a different vibe. No fans are lining the walkways. Many of the players are less imposing. It’s akin to a warmup act playing longer than expected. They know the main act is forthcoming, but they do not know when.

Outside of the Royals’ walls, in some cases just a few minutes away, players who are part of the main act — those on the 40-man roster — find cages to hit in at private facilities, where teammates feed them pitches through machines. They converge on warehouse-looking, cemented facilities outside of the team’s jurisdiction and meet up with other big-league players. They offer thoughts on players they have faced. Some even trash talk. This is baseball’s current reality. These scenes also provide interesting windows into player development and progression.

With that, here are some observations from a week spent with Royals players and staffers throughout the Valley:

Rusty Kuntz raves about prospect Nick Loftin
One commonality between normal big-league spring training and this minor-league camp scene occurs each morning. Rusty Kuntz, donning a Royals uniform, emerges on his bike. He blows its horn. He yells at players who are watching him. Occasionally, he’ll stop to talk to a reporter, yelling his patented line:

“Hey, Player!’’

Kuntz, who was the Royals’ first-base coach in 2021, has shifted into a new role as the special assistant to the president and GM/quality control. Right now, his task is to help young outfielders develop. This gets to a question The Athletic asked him last week: “Who is the one player we should be talking about?”

Kuntz stared down at the ground. The sun reflected off of his shades. He lifted his head.

“Nick Loftin.”

Loftin is a 23-year-old from Baylor University whom the Royals selected with the No. 32 pick in the 2020 MLB Draft.

What stands out about him?

Kuntz smiled.

“His bat? Check. His arm? Check. His feet? Check. His instincts? Check.”

Loftin posted an .836 OPS in 2021 at High-A Quad Cities. The Athletic’s Keith Law ranked him as the Royals’ No. 5 prospect and wrote: “His OBP of .374 was fueled by a balance of hitting and patience, enough to think it’s sustainable as an above-average skill for him.”

Law also mentioned Loftin’s speed and internal clock, both of which he believed make Loftin a candidate to play center field.

Kuntz agreed. Any time the longtime outfield-teaching savant gets his hands on a shortstop, he is stoked. Loftin, who played shortstop, second and third base in 2021, is the latest example.

“He can handle it,” Kuntz said.

Center field has long stood out as a hole in the Royals’ farm system. The club’s lack of depth there was, in part, why Michael A. Taylor’s two-year extension made sense. Presuming Loftin begins the 2022 season at Double A, it’s fair to wonder how much the Royals thought about Loftin’s impending debut (potentially in 2023) in context with the timeframe of Taylor’s extension.

Nick Pratto, Kyle Isbel and Sebastian Rivero are spending their days together
One Royals staffer explained the lockout this way: It is similar to watching your kids leave for school, except you will not see them again for months and you cannot check on them in the meantime; you simply have to hope that you taught them well.

Fortunately, in places such as Arizona that are highly populated with professional baseball players, many are motivated (and helped) by others. Royals first base prospect Nick Pratto, outfield prospect Kyle Isbel and catching prospect Sebastian Rivero — all of whom are on the 40-man roster — are perfect examples.

One day last week, the three Royals prospects arrived at a local workout facility in Surprise. As Drake blasted on the speakers, the three gathered around a cage. Rivero danced. Pratto laughed. Isbel chatted with A’s right-hander Frankie Montas, who was present. Then they entered the swinging space and fed pitches to each other. One suggested they hit against sliders, so they did. Afterward, they all lifted weights, keeping their bodies in shape. Later in the week, they all met up for live at-bats against current big-league starters with years of experience; Rivero has even spent time catching a few of those high-level talents.

Loneliness is an element for players on the 40-man
Rivero, a native of Venezuela, has his wife, Loana, and his young son, Sebastian Enrique, with him in Arizona this year. But his Royals family remains scattered. Rivero can no longer spend time with the coaches and teammates who have invested in him for years.

Typically, he works out during offseasons at the Royals’ spring training facility. He enters early in the morning. He steps inside the office of long-term player development staffer Chino Cadahia. They talk about fatherhood, baseball, etc. These days, not only can he not work out at the facility, but he also cannot communicate with mentors and father figures such as Cadahia.

“Honestly,” Rivero said recently, “it’s been the loneliest offseason of my life.”

Fortunately, Rivero said, Pratto and Isbel are working out with him. Without that, though, he explained how difficult the circumstances have been. He can’t work on his catching ability alongside catching coordinator J.C. Boscan. He can’t spend time at the facility with close friend Freddy Fermin.

Rivero’s issue illustrates a broader challenge regarding mental health during the lockout. Several sources noted last week that players on the 40-man roster no longer have access to the psychologists on the Royals’ staff, at least not until there’s a new labor agreement. So players who may have been working through issues with a familiar face last season have to see psychologists from outside the organization with whom they might not have the same relationships.

Royals minor leaguers applaud The Fountains housing facility
In January, Royals director of Arizona operations/scouting assistant Nick Leto said of the Royals’ new housing facility called The Fountains: “The things that can be done here are unquantifiable.”

Case in point: A group of roommates — Vinnie Pasquantino, Michael Massey, Jake Means and Nathan Eaton — have started a tradition in which they drink coffee in the morning and play Madden franchise games. It’s a fun idea. Other prospects such as Jimmy Govern, John Rave and others have joined them.

And so have youngsters such as Ben Kudrna and Frank Mozzicato. Think about that. A group of college-aged hitting prospects are hanging out with high-school-aged pitching talent. They’re not glancing at each other across a clubhouse for the first time. No, they’re joking around and spending time together in a different setting.

How much will this benefit the club on the field? Only time will tell. But many have been open about how much they’ve enjoyed the living situation.

“It’s incredible,” Pasquantino said.

Another room, for example, houses a pair of college-aged pitching prospects: Alec Marsh and Anthony Veneziano. The two have not only gone mano a mano on the pool table downstairs, but they’ve also talked pitching, building bonds similar to those that current Royals pitchers Brady Singer, Jackson Kowar, Daniel Lynch, Kris Bubic, Jonathan Heasley, Jonathan Bowlan and Austin Cox have.

Underrated lefty prospect Anthony Veneziano explains his focus
One afternoon last week, a 6-foot-5 lefty stepped on a rubber inside the Royals’ bullpen and fired premium velocity fastballs. It was Anthony Veneziano, one of the more underrated pitchers in the Royals’ system.

Veneziano was a 10th-round pick in 2019 from Coastal Carolina. Last year, he posted a 3.75 ERA in 93 2/3 innings with 127 strikeouts and 37 walks in High A. Royals staffers as well as opposing scouts have praised his fastball and slider, which were on display.

“The last two years, I’ve worked on each,” he said. “And my velocity has shot up.”

Veneziano attributed the progression to some mechanical adjustments he made alongside the Royals’ pitching development staff. They suggested Veneziano put more emphasis on his back leg. He improved his direction as well as the way he managed his front side through his delivery. His velocity jumped up to 94 mph from the high-80s. It has continued to creep up.

“They really helped me stay efficient and hold my velocity,” Veneziano said.

Now, he’s focused on continuing to eliminate pitching across his body through his delivery. Maintaining his direction helps improve his fastball’s carry, which will lead to more swings-and-misses in the zone.

Carter Jensen and Brennon McNair integrate themselves into pro ball
The Royals selected Jensen, a Kansas City, Mo., native, with the No. 78 pick in the 2021 MLB Draft.

How’d his first fall go?

“He launched home runs,” Alec Zumwalt, the Royals’ senior director of player development and hitting performance, said. “He did not hit home runs. He launched home runs. It is some big power.”

Zumwalt was referencing batting practice sessions — games were a different story. In 57 in-game at-bats in the Arizona Complex League, Jensen hit one home run. He also posted a .792 OPS in 19 games.

The questions surrounding his potential often lie behind the plate. He’s a catcher who has been spending ample time with catching coordinator J.C. Boscan.

“I told Carter prior to him getting here, ‘J.C. is going to be on you every single day, embrace it,’” Zumwalt said. “And he did to the point of wanting to learn Spanish. He was unbelievable from day No. 1. He’s been great.”

Jensen, who was born in 2003, has been rooming with McNair, an 11th-round pick in 2021, at The Fountains. At 19 years old, McNair, a shortstop from Magee, Miss., posted a .980 OPS in 31 at-bats in the ACL.

“Brennon is outstanding,” Zumwalt said. “Except he needs to learn his music. The other day, he didn’t know who LL Cool J was. Like, what?”

Nic Jackson begins work as assistant hitting coordinator with Royals
Last November, the Royals elevated former assistant hitting coordinator Keoni DeRenne to big-league assistant hitting coach. That left a hole in the Royals’ revamped hitting development department, which the club filled with Nic Jackson, a 42-year-old who played more than a decade in the minor leagues and independent ball.

Jackson, who had previously been a pro scout with the Chicago Cubs and a minor-league hitting coach with the New York Mets, did not waste any time contributing to a staff — led by Zumwalt, hitting coordinator Drew Saylor and special assignment hitting coach Mike Tosar — that has been lauded throughout baseball. In the fall, Jackson, Zumwalt and Tosar flew to the Dominican Republic to work with numerous young hitting prospects, including outfielder Erick Peña.

Recently, second base prospect Michael Massey explained his attempt at maximizing rotation in his lower half during his swing. Massey said Jackson offered a quick way for him to feel the correct movements throughout a swing. Massey appreciated the insight. Others such as Pasquantino said they were excited about having another staffer with insight into the scouting process, the movement element (Jackson had been a sports performance coach) and the road minor-league players have to navigate.

[Reply]
KChiefs1 11:28 PM 02-28-2022
Keith Law ranks the Royals prospects.

Originally Posted by :
The Royals’ system-wide change in hitting instruction, working with hitters to develop plans for every at-bat, created a massive shift in their results, including boosting the aggregate walk rate of all of their minor-league hitters by nearly a third from 2019 to 2021. They turned around the fortunes of several of their highest-profile prospects, and now have several potential stars among their position players as well as renewed depth in bats and potential big-league relievers.

To qualify for these rankings, players must still be eligible for the Rookie of the Year Award in 2022, which means they may not have more than 130 at-bats, 50 innings pitched or 45 days on an active roster heading into this season.

1. Bobby Witt, Jr., SS (Top 100 ranking: No. 2)

Bats: Right | Throws: Right
Drafted: No. 2 in 2019

This was as close a call between the top two prospects that I can recall having, probably since my No. 1 and 2 were named Mike and Bryce before the 2011 season — and having Witt second here is no slight to him. Witt destroyed Double-A and Triple-A pitching last year as a 21-year-old with just 37 games of experience outside of high school, all of that coming in the Arizona Rookie League in 2019. He did go to the Royals’ alternate site in 2020, gaining significant experience against older pitching — many of them players who would appear in the majors for Kansas City in 2021 — which may have helped him progress despite the lack of actual games. He also came into power sooner than I expected, with 33 homers on the season, half coming in Double A with the minor-league ball, so this wasn’t some Triple-A mirage.

Witt’s tools package is among the best in the game: He’s at least a 70 runner, has an 80 arm, has plus power, and his hands and feet make him a plus glove at shortstop. There’s some thought he might outgrow the position in time, though that’s hardly a lock. Witt’s father, the former Rangers starter and No. 3 pick in 1985, has a similar frame and did not become overly broad or heavy, even in retirement. It’s possible the Royals would move Witt Jr. to accommodate another shortstop, but I see his future on defense as similar to the career so far of Carlos Correa. The majority of scouts thought Correa would outgrow the position, but he has stayed lean and been an above-average defender throughout his major-league tenure. The one knock here, and it is a small one, is that Witt has some swing-and-miss in his game, with a tendency to get too long and overrotate just a little — something he may very well improve once he has a few hundred at bats in the majors under his belt. Right now, it’s the only separator between him and Rutschman. They both belong in the majors now and both have MVP-level upside.

2. MJ Melendez, C (Top 100 ranking: No. 27)

Bats: Left | Throws: Right
Drafted: No. 52 in 2017

The Royals saw their plate discipline numbers do a 180 across the system last year, and Melendez was one of the main beneficiaries of their new emphasis on hitting plans for their hitters. Melendez has always had plus-plus power and a ridiculous arm, but was a hacker through the 2019 season when he hit .163/.260/.311 with a 39 percent strikeout rate in High A. It was a disastrous season that in hindsight only underscores how incredible his transformation has been. In 2021, he hit .288/.386/.625 between Double A and Triple A, and cut his strikeout rate to 22 percent. He struck out 50 fewer times in 112 more plate appearances. It’s a funny thing, but when you always hit the ball hard, and then you start making a lot more contact, you get really good results, like hitting 41 homers to lead all of minor-league baseball. The Royals did help Melendez with his mechanics as well; he’s always been a busy hitter, with a high leg kick and huge hip rotation, but he’s calmed the latter part down enough so he’s no longer overrotating and his timing on his leg kick is better. Coming into some of his strength has helped him develop a stronger base and stay more upright through contact as well. Couple the mechanical adjustments with a whole new plan at the plate and you get a premium offensive catcher with that cannon arm. He can still be too energetic behind the plate but has improved his receiving in the last two years; now it’s going to be his bat that carries him.

3. Nick Pratto, 1B (Top 100 ranking: No. 54)

Bats: Left | Throws: Left
Drafted: No. 14 in 2017

Pratto came off a 2019 season in which he hit .191/.278/.310 with nine homers and a 35 percent strikeout rate as a first baseman in High A, and the only thing keeping him from ex-prospect status was his youth. Two years and a swing overhaul later, Pratto is now very much a current prospect, hitting 36 homers in 2021 with a .383 OBP and an acceptable 29 percent strikeout rate, more than enough to have him profile as a potential everyday player right now. The Royals helped Pratto revamp his swing, eliminating some of the loop length that slowed his time to the ball and allowed him to drive the ball to the whole field instead of just his pull side. He has also vastly improved his awareness of the strike zone, part of the Royals’ system-wide overhaul of how they teach hitters to approach at-bats, although he can be too selective with pitches in the zone, and he’s always going to have some swing-and-miss in his game. He’s an above-average defender at first who should post high walk rates, helping him even if his batting averages aren’t great, and getting him to 25-30 homers a year.

4. Asa Lacy, LHP (Top 100 ranking: No. 90)

Drafted: No. 4 in 2020

Lacy’s pro debut was a disaster: He walked 41 men in 52 innings, 17.3 percent of batters faced, before the Royals shut him down in late July to deal with a muscle injury in his shoulder; it didn’t require surgery but may explain the sudden loss of the strike zone. His stuff looked as good as ever, as he was up to 99, sitting mid to upper 90s, with a 55 to 60 slider and changeup that would show plus, with that last pitch good enough to give him a reverse platoon split. He looked better in the Arizona Fall League, with similar stuff and just one outing in four where he had control issues, but there’s still reasonable doubt whether he’ll return to the kind of control he showed as an amateur, when the Royals made him the No. 3 overall pick in 2020 (and he was good enough to merit discussion at No. 1). If he does, he’ll be a top-50 prospect again, maybe even top 20, with ace stuff from the left side and a big, durable build.

5. Nick Loftin, IF

Drafted: No. 32 in 2020

Loftin has turned out to be a better hitter than anticipated but might not be the defender at short that the Royals hoped for, especially with his arm a little short for the left side of the infield. With what he’s shown at the plate, though, it probably won’t matter, as he should be a regular at second or in center field. He’s still a very high-contact hitter, striking out 14.6 percent of the time in High A last year, and got to a little more power, enough to project him to hit 12-18 homers a year in the majors. His OBP of .374 was fueled by a balance of hitting and patience, enough to think it’s sustainable as an above-average skill for him. He played short, second and third last year, but he has the speed and internal clock to move to center as well. With the Royals already facing a surfeit of shortstops in the majors, it might make sense just to move Loftin now and clear his path to Kansas City.

6. Frank Mozzicato, LHP

Drafted: No. 7 in 2021

Mozzicato was a surprise pick at No. 7 overall in 2021, as the Royals had a plan to sign two other high school pitchers to over-slot deals after him, thus going under with the Connecticut left-hander who threw four straight no-hitters for his high school this past spring. Mozzicato was anywhere from 86-94 in the spring, working more 90-92 in instructs, with a plus curveball right now. He has a great delivery and a very projectable body, so I’d expect to see his velocity consistently in the 92-94 range within two years. He’s working on a changeup, never really needing one against Connecticut high school hitters, and although his control is solid he will have to develop his command. He’s a throwback pick, the sort of high school pitcher who doesn’t go in the first round very often now because he doesn’t throw hard, but before everybody and their brother threw 95, this is what top high school pitching prospects looked like.

7. Vinnie Pasquantino, 1B

Drafted: No. 319 in 2019

Pasquantino’s breakout was one of the most surprising in the minors last year; the Royals’ 11th-rounder in 2009 had hit at Old Dominion, but he ripped apart High A and kept right on ripping in Double A, with a .310/.405/.560 line at the higher level. It’s patience without passivity and pole-to-pole power, enough to project him as a possible regular at first, and he hasn’t shown a platoon split even though he’s a left-handed batter. He’s an adequate defender there at best, but if he can post a .400 OBP with 20-odd homers, who cares? Forza Azzurri!

8. Kyle Isbel, OF

Drafted: No. 94 in 2018

Isbel could be a fourth or platoon outfielder in the majors right now, with a good patience/power combination against right-handed pitchers, plus speed and enough defensive skill to play center at least on a part-time basis, with 55 to 60 defense in a corner. He doesn’t hit lefties well enough now to be an everyday guy, even now that he’s fully recovered from the broken hamate that wrecked his 2019 season; he could improve with more reps against them in Triple A, although he’ll be 25 this year and otherwise needs to face big-league pitching.

9. Jon Heasley, RHP

Drafted: No. 392 in 2018

Heasley’s stuff keeps ticking up the further he gets away from Oklahoma State; he was 97-99 in short bursts in spring training last year with a plus changeup, jumped two levels to Double A, and earned a call-up to the majors, where he averaged 93.6 mph as a starter. He has four pitches but didn’t use his slider toward the end of 2021 so he could work on keeping his curveball, a distinct pitch he can throw for strikes. He has solid-average control, but the fastball command lags behind, which might be why he became homer-prone in Double A. With the slider back in his arsenal, he could be a fourth starter and probably help their rotation this year, even ahead of some of their more highly touted prospects.

10. Ben Kudrna, RHP

Drafted: No. 43 in 2021

Kudrna was the Royals’ second pick in 2021, the first beneficiary of the money they saved with Mozzicato, taking home $3 million — a mid-first round bonus. Kudrna is the other end of the spectrum from Mozzicato: His stuff is now 94-97 with a fearsome slider that’s already plus, with some feel for a changeup. He’s already big and has less projection than Mozzicato, but doesn’t need it as much given what he already throws. His delivery is fine, albeit not as easy as Mozzicato’s, and he should get to average command in time. He has the look of at least a mid-rotation starter, maybe more if he has another half-grade left in stuff.

11. Peyton Wilson, 2B

Bats: Switch | Throws: Right
Drafted: No. 66 in 2021

Wilson was the Royals’ second second-rounder last year after a disappointing spring at the University of Alabama, where he just didn’t hit like he was supposed to, and as a mediocre defender at second, that was a serious problem. Wilson has good bat speed and some pull power, but he’s too aggressive at the plate and the pull orientation gets him into trouble, especially batting right-handed. Players often get better on defense with pro instruction, and in Wilson’s case, there’s no physical reason he can’t figure out second base. He’ll have to do that and improve his eye at the plate to be a regular.

12. Angel Zerpa, LHP

Zerpa is a low-slot lefty with three pitches and a crossfire delivery that gives him a lot of deception but makes it less likely he’ll have the command or durability to start. Zerpa can sit 93-95 and show a plus slider and plus changeup, all of which would be hard to hit even if he had a more traditional delivery and three-quarters slot. The lower angle makes him deadly to left-handed batters — he struck out 31 percent of them, walked just 3 percent and held them to a .280 OBP last year — and the changeup helps him with right-handers. It’s just a tough delivery for a starter with the cross-body action, even when he manages to keep himself on line to the plate. I think you have to let him start for now, but with a careful eye on his stuff and health to see if he needs to work in shorter outings.

13. Alec Marsh, RHP

Drafted: No. 70 in 2019

Marsh was limited to 25 1/3 innings over six starts (plus one AFL appearance) due to what Royals assistant general manager J.J. Picollo called “like shin splints” in his forearm’s humerus bone, which kept flaring back up. Marsh should be able to start, although in shorter outings he’s been 95-99 with a plus curveball and potentially plus slider, which is going to be tempting for the Royals if they end up contending for the wild card this year. We’ll see if his arm allows him to return to a starting role, but don’t be surprised if he moves to the bullpen this summer.

14. Jonathan Bowlan, RHP

Drafted: No. 58 in 2018

Bowlan was on the fast track to the major-league rotation behind the other members of their 2018 draft class (Singer, Kowar, Lynch) when his elbow blew out, requiring Tommy John surgery that will take him out until probably June. He’s been up to 99 and gets good downhill plane from his 6-6, 240-pound frame, throwing strikes with a solid-average slider and changeup. My guess is that he’ll come back with his usual stuff but less command this year, and we won’t see the full version of Bowlan until 2023.

15. Carter Jensen, C

Drafted: No. 78 in 2021

Jensen is a bat-first catcher who loves to hit and shows the potential for patience and power, enough so that it might make sense to take the 2021 third-rounder and move him to first base if he hits as expected this year. Jensen is a big kid and not terribly athletic, so there’s a ton of work to do to keep him a catcher, although the automated strike zone would help him. He has a good eye at the plate and a swing that should produce hard contact and 20-plus homer power. He might be in that Wil Myers/Paul Konerko camp of guys whose bats were two years ahead of their gloves, and who benefited from a move to another position so they’d see the majors faster and avoid injuries behind the dish.

16. Shane Panzini, RHP

Drafted: No. 108 in 2021

Panzini signed in the fourth round to an over-slot deal, completing the Royals’ trifecta of high school pitchers; he’s well behind the other two, though, more 93-94 with two breaking balls, with power to everything. It’s a reliever approach, all hard stuff all the time, and he’ll have to learn to back off that and really pitch to be a starter. The delivery isn’t bad, though, and he has some deception that could help him go through a lineup multiple times.

17. Darryl Collins, OF

Collins hails from Spijkenisse, in the Netherlands, and has an unusual ability to get the bat to the ball despite growing up in Europe, where the quality of pitching isn’t comparable to what kids in the U.S. or Canada might see. He’s a big guy but hasn’t come into his strength, so right now he can put the ball in play without hitting it hard enough yet. He’s limited to left field by a well below-average arm, but the OBP skills will play if he gets to some more power. His other brother, Darnell, is also in the Royals system.

18. Noah Murdock, RHP

Drafted: No. 199 in 2019

Murdock looked incredible in instructs after the shortened 2020 season, but a series of injuries to his back and shoulder limited him to just 22 2/3 innings in 2021. He’s 6-8 and had been 98-100 with high spin rates on both his fastball and curveball, but wasn’t very effective on the rare times he got on the mound last year.

[19. Luca Tresh, C

Drafted: No. 499 in 2021

The Royals took a flier on Tresh in the 17th round, and he decided to sign rather than try to go back to NC State as a senior to get into the top three rounds. Tresh is a solid-average or better defensive catcher, and likely to improve as the Royals get him away from working on one knee, with good arm strength. He’s power over hit and did not perform at all for the Wolfpack last spring, hitting just .231/.310/.476, so he’ll have to cut down on the swing-and-miss to even be a backup. He has the power to be a regular, though, if he ever hits enough to get to it.

20. Maikel Garcia, SS

Garcia is a plus defensive shortstop who controls the strike zone, with nearly as many walks as strikeouts across both levels of A-ball last year. He has a utility infielder floor but this profile — good defensive shortstops with contact skills — has some history of turning into a regular when the hitter in question comes into his strength in his mid-20s.

Others of Note

Venezuelan outfielder Junior Marin has ridiculous power and his hard-hit rates were very high in the DSL last year, with exceptional strength for a 17-year-old; he hit a hilarious .380/.469/.696 there, leading the league in slugging, and could end up sneaking into full-season ball by the end of 2022. … Second baseman Michael Massey has worked on his defense enough to give him a chance to stay there, with 55 power, enough to be the strong side of a platoon there in the majors. … Lefty Austin Cox has worked as a starter but has never developed enough of a changeup or other pitch to get right-handed batters out; all 11 homers he gave up last year were to righties. He has two different breaking balls to get lefties and has plenty of velocity, so he could be pretty effective in the pen. … Outfielder Tyler Gentry had a 30 percent strikeout rate in High A, but also drew 29 walks in the 44 games he played before a knee injury ended his season on July 1. He has plus power and speed, although he didn’t get to show much of either last year because the injury prevented him from pushing off his back leg. … Outfielder Erick Peña, who received $3.8 million in 2019, made his pro debut in the ACL and hit .168/.256/.314, striking out more than a third of the time. He’s physical and strong with power, but couldn’t catch up to the pitching he saw and raised concerns among scouts that he didn’t have the bat speed to do so. … Omar Hernandez is a great catch-and-throw guy who didn’t hit at all in Low A last year, although the Cuban catcher was just 19 and could easily repeat the level. … Right-hander Will Klein misses a ton of bats with a mid-90s fastball and hammer curveball. He’s 6-5 and built like a starter but doesn’t have the command for it, with a high-tempo delivery that has him falling off hard to the first-base side. He struck out 41 percent of batters he faced in High A last year and could see the majors this year in relief. … Right-hander Ben Hernandez missed much of the year with forearm inflammation but did show a plus changeup when he pitched for the Royals in fall camp. He’s been working on developing his breaking ball but throwing it too much last year helped contribute to his walk rate, even though he has much better control when it comes to his fastball and change. … Right-hander Nathan Webb worked on the Royals’ grounds crew in 2015, but now he’s 96-98 and can touch 100 with an above-average changeup. He’s a straight reliever but the velocity is easy and he throws strikes; he’s also a local kid, so put him on your Guys to Root For list, and look for him to start in Double A this year.

2022 impact

Witt should play 150 games in the majors this year, somewhere. I don’t think Melendez and Pratto are far behind him, although Melendez is blocked for the short term.

The Fallen

Outfielder Seuly Matias has 80 raw power but even with some tweaks to calm down his approach, he still swings and misses way too often to see a major-league role for him, with a 36 percent strikeout rate across all levels.

Sleeper

I don’t like to overreact to DSL stats, but if Marin keeps hitting the ball this hard in the ACL and maybe a little in Low A, he would probably slip on to the top 100.

[Reply]
KChiefs1 03:39 PM 03-01-2022
Looks like a few trips to Omaha to see the “real” Royals.

[Reply]
Titty Meat 06:31 PM 03-01-2022
Will fans get refunded for missed games? I saw someone on Facebook saying you wouldn't get Royals credits for canceled games. Talk about ass fucking the fans
[Reply]
Page 9 of 469
« First < 56789 101112131959109 > Last »
Up