ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 26 of 57
« First < 162223242526 2728293036 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Let’s talk about the Broncos
RunKC 05:54 PM 11-28-2021
Coming in with a full head of steam. First place on the line.

Only to be raped by us. Let’s make it 12 straight!
[Reply]
KCrockaholic 01:21 AM 12-02-2021
Episode 91. But we're getting better, and we have fun with it. Chiefs talk starts at 3:35

[Reply]
RaidersOftheCellar 04:30 AM 12-02-2021
Originally Posted by Chief Pagan:
I think Marty frequently got his players/team to overachieve during the regular season and beat more talented teams just by playing harder, especially at home.

It is hard to beat more talented teams during the playoffs just by wanting it more and by playing harder.

And it's really hard to win it all with an average QB (at best) against an elite QB, even back in the day. Even if you can match touchdown for touchdown: when your touchdowns take 7+ minutes and your opponents touchdowns can be done in less than 2 minutes [cough, Elway, cough], when needed. The odds are stacked against you.

So was it that Marty was a coach that came up short in the playoffs or was it that he didn't get enough credit for what he managed to do with the level of talent he had during the regular season?

Probably some of both.
I think Marty was similar to Bill Self in that he could win a lot of games with an average/mediocre roster. But eventually the top talent wins out. Both coaches are/were, to an extent, victims of their own success. Because Marty consistently won in the regular season, he was expected to win big in the postseason, despite mediocre QB play. And because Bill Self wins 30 games every year and the Big 12 title, his expectation is almost always the final four. Despite often having less talent than plenty of other teams.
[Reply]
wachashi 07:55 AM 12-02-2021
Drops have killed us this year. Denver doesn’t stand a chance if we win the turnover battle and make routine catches.

Per Sportradar, Travis Kelce has dropped six passes in the last four weeks (including one dropped pass that became an INT), passing teammate Tyreek Hill for the pass-catcher who has cost his team the most expected points from drops.

Drops: Sportradar
EPA/YAC models: nflfastR pic.twitter.com/08mhngfwjH

— Anthony Reinhard (@reinhurdler) December 1, 2021

[Reply]
Hammock Parties 07:58 AM 12-02-2021
This team has unfinished business.

We are not letting the DIRTY FUCKING DONKOS stand in OUR FUCKING WAY!!!!
[Reply]
Straight, No Chaser 08:04 AM 12-02-2021

Holy Cannoli, can I have that 5 minutes of my life back? Hard to listen to; even harder to watch these guys.

Do they still live in Mom's basement?
[Reply]
PAChiefsGuy 08:41 AM 12-02-2021
Originally Posted by RaidersOftheCellar:
I think Marty was similar to Bill Self in that he could win a lot of games with an average/mediocre roster. But eventually the top talent wins out. Both coaches are/were, to an extent, victims of their own success. Because Marty consistently won in the regular season, he was expected to win big in the postseason, despite mediocre QB play. And because Bill Self wins 30 games every year and the Big 12 title, his expectation is almost always the final four. Despite often having less talent than plenty of other teams.
Agreed.

I also think Marty's philosophy wasn't the best for the playoffs. He believed in tough defense, not turning the ball over, and smash mouth football. The smashmouth football on offense side of ball is tough to win with when going against teams that can score points in bunches and who are also disciplined w turnovers.

And let's keep it real much like Reid during his time in Philly he just had some bad luck. Those Browns playoff losses were brutal as were some here when players simply ****ed up.

Good HC but his coaching style wasn't built for playoff success it was more about regular season success like many mentioned. He's not Reid or BB but he certainly wasn't Haley or Romeo Crennel either.
[Reply]
chiefforlife 09:03 AM 12-02-2021
Marty has to be the only Head Coach to go 14-2 and get fired!

Last year with the Chargers I believe. Bounced from the playoffs first game and then bounced from the job.

That HAS to be the worst luck ever.
[Reply]
Oxford 09:09 AM 12-02-2021
Originally Posted by PAChiefsGuy:
Agreed.

I also think Marty's philosophy wasn't the best for the playoffs. He believed in tough defense, not turning the ball over, and smash mouth football. The smashmouth football on offense side of ball is tough to win with when going against teams that can score points in bunches and who are also disciplined w turnovers.

And let's keep it real much like Reid during his time in Philly he just had some bad luck. Those Browns playoff losses were brutal as were some here when players simply ****ed up.

Good HC but his coaching style wasn't built for playoff success it was more about regular season success like many mentioned. He's not Reid or BB but he certainly wasn't Haley or Romeo Crennel either.
There's a gleam gentlemen.

Marty was an AFL linebacker with the Bill's I think. Coached football like he played in cold weather conditions, tough, blood in the mud, run you over football.

Look at some of Marty's game day Raiders speeches, classic Lombardi/Halas era stuff
[Reply]
PAChiefsGuy 09:22 AM 12-02-2021
Originally Posted by Oxford:
There's a gleam gentlemen.

Marty was an AFL linebacker with the Bill's I think. Coached football like he played in cold weather conditions, tough, blood in the mud, run you over football.

Look at some of Marty's game day Raiders speeches, classic Lombardi/Halas era stuff
Absolutely. I also don't think there is a HC as passionate about football as Marty was. He truly loved the game
[Reply]
RedinTexas 09:28 AM 12-02-2021
I loved Marty. The Chiefs were a moribund franchise for close to 20 years when Marty took over and immediately transformed them into winners. How could any Chiefs fan not like that? We were suddenly relevant again and we all loved it. We don't play the game just to be relevant though. We kept Marty for many years and when we finally parted ways, it was time to make the change. We all wish that it had worked out better, but it didn't.
[Reply]
jjchieffan 10:01 AM 12-02-2021
I'm glad that the Donks have won 6 games. I hope that they win 9 or 10 and miss the playoffs. That's purgatory. No postseason, and not picking early enough in the draft to get a top QB prospect.
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:13 AM 12-02-2021
Originally Posted by PAChiefsGuy:
Absolutely. I also don't think there is a HC as passionate about football as Marty was. He truly loved the game
They all love the game. They wouldn't give up their entire lives to do football 24x7 if they didn't.
[Reply]
TEX 11:45 AM 12-02-2021
Originally Posted by chiefforlife:
Marty has to be the only Head Coach to go 14-2 and get fired!

Last year with the Chargers I believe. Bounced from the playoffs first game and then bounced from the job.

That HAS to be the worst luck ever.
He made his own bad luck in that game. He did a terrible job of coaching. Went conservative. Chose to kick instead of going for it on 4th and short with L.T. in the backfield. L T. was so pissed off afterwards he would not speak to reporters. And when he did, he let loose. I remember watching it unfold and shaking my head cuz I knew what Marty was going to do. He lost that game because he deserved to lose it. He did not play to win. Instead he played not -to- lose, and he lost.
[Reply]
FloridaMan88 03:04 PM 12-02-2021
Get ready for MOAR Mike Hughes returning punts, from Toub today:

Link: https://sports.yahoo.com/mike-hughes...204543174.html

Originally Posted by :
Ahead of the bye week, Toub did make one change and it looks like that change will stick. For the first time since being drafted in 2019, Mecole Hardman didn’t play any snaps on special teams. Instead, the Chiefs opted to give Mike Hughes all the punt returns during the game. According to Toub, this was an effort to jumpstart a punt return game that has been rather dormant this season.

“We’re trying to get a spark,” Toub said. “We’re not giving up on Mecole (Hardman) by any means. He is, obviously, probably the most dynamic guy we have. But just a little bit (of time) to maybe sit back and watch a little bit, watch from the sideline, maybe that will help your confidence.

“We’re happy with (Mike Hughes). Mike does a great job, he’s a good catcher, he makes good decisions. We just want to get part of that game going. You try different things like that.”

Hughes has only returned three punts on the season averaging 18.3 yards per return. Hardman has returned eight punts this season averaging 10.3 yards per return. While the Chiefs still have Hardman available to return punts, it’s Hughes’ job to lose at this point. According to Toub, Hughes will be ‘the guy’ at the punt returner position moving forward.

“Right now, yeah,” Toub said. “That’s what we’re going to go with. We always know we’ve got Mecole (Hardman). We know we’ve got Tyreek (Hill). There’s a lot worse situations in the NFL than we have right now. We have guys we can use.”

[Reply]
ThaVirus 03:09 PM 12-02-2021
Oof. If he's not playing any snaps on special teams and only getting like 25% of the snaps on offense lately, his days here may be numbered..
[Reply]
Page 26 of 57
« First < 162223242526 2728293036 > Last »
Up