ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Media Center>Password Managers
tredadda 12:40 PM 04-06-2021
As the title suggests, does anyone actually use them and if so is there any that you recommend? I am just researching them and wondering what the opinions of others are in regards to them.
[Reply]
Fish 01:58 PM 04-06-2021
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
All the ones that I’ve seen want to automatically sign you in and shit. I just password protected an excel sheet that lists them all.
Technically, that's not really that secure at all.

https://www.passfab.com/products/exc...-recovery.html

https://www.mypdfsolutions.com/how-t...rom-excel.html
[Reply]
morphius 01:58 PM 04-06-2021
Originally Posted by tredadda:
Both of those seemed to be reviewed highly. So they in your opinion are not very user friendly?
Download keepass and give it a try for yourself. It is free and pretty straight forward. I think lastpass started doing something iffy, so they are more questionable.
[Reply]
unlurking 02:03 PM 04-06-2021
I still use UPM. Completely offline, no-frills, and not updated in 5 years. Keep a copy of my db synced on my NAS and phone. One of these days I'll upgrade, but I refuse to use a cloud variant or a browser plugin.
[Reply]
htismaqe 02:05 PM 04-06-2021
Originally Posted by morphius:
Download keepass and give it a try for yourself. It is free and pretty straight forward. I think lastpass started doing something iffy, so they are more questionable.
AFAIK, LastPass is a sub service now. Maybe that's Password1.

I pay for a KeePass client on iOS but that's because I store my database in a way that requires a premium feature not available on the free clients for iOS. Plus I want Face ID support.

All of my other clients are free. I share the same databases amongst all of them.
[Reply]
htismaqe 02:07 PM 04-06-2021
Originally Posted by unlurking:
I still use UPM. Completely offline, no-frills, and not updated in 5 years. Keep a copy of my db synced on my NAS and phone. One of these days I'll upgrade, but I refuse to use a cloud variant or a browser plugin.
KeePass.

You can store the database on your NAS or in the cloud or really anywhere you feel is best and access it from any device that has access to your storage area.

There are clients for every major operating system and even some niche operating systems, most are free, and all of them can use the same database file.
[Reply]
Third Eye 02:11 PM 04-06-2021
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
Cracking an Excel spreadsheet might take a few minutes. :-)
Originally Posted by Fish:
Technically, that's not really that secure at all.

https://www.passfab.com/products/exc...-recovery.html

https://www.mypdfsolutions.com/how-t...rom-excel.html
When it’s on a non-networked PC, I feel reasonably safe.
[Reply]
unlurking 02:12 PM 04-06-2021
KeePass.

You can store the database on your NAS or in the cloud or really anywhere you feel is best and access it from any device that has access to your storage area.

There are clients for every major operating system and even some niche operating systems, most are free, and all of them can use the same database file.
Thanks, I'll check it out. Looks much more advanced than what is essentially an encrypted flat file. lol
[Reply]
htismaqe 02:13 PM 04-06-2021
Originally Posted by Third Eye:
When it’s on a non-networked PC, I feel reasonably safe.
I have a hard time envisioning how you would use a password manager on a non-networked machine. Kind of defeats the purpose of having a PORTABLE password manager. :-)
[Reply]
htismaqe 02:15 PM 04-06-2021
Originally Posted by unlurking:
Thanks, I'll check it out. Looks much more advanced than what is essentially an encrypted flat file. lol
It all depends on the front end app. Some of them, like KeePass for Windows have a few hundred settings. KeePassXC for Linux has a dozen or so.

The big thing is that you have so many options for securing your database, from the encryption algorithm you use to 2-factor authentication.
[Reply]
Third Eye 02:18 PM 04-06-2021
I have a hard time envisioning how you would use a password manager on a non-networked machine. Kind of defeats the purpose of having a PORTABLE password manager. :-)
I didn’t realize we were talking about portability. In my home office, I have 3 computers: my personal networked pc, my personal nonnetworked pc, and my work laptop. I can only think of a handful of times over the years where I’ve needed something from my nonnetworked machine when I was out and about. I can see how that wouldn’t work for everyone though.
[Reply]
htismaqe 02:21 PM 04-06-2021
Originally Posted by Third Eye:
I didn’t realize we were talking about portability. In my home office, I have 3 computers: my personal networked pc, my personal nonnetworked pc, and my work laptop. I can only think of a handful of times over the years where I’ve needed something from my nonnetworked machine when I was out and about. I can see how that wouldn’t work for everyone though.
I started with a password manager to make sure I never forgot one of the 2 or 3 dozen passwords I had almost 20 years ago now. Before that, I was using the same kind of method you are now.

I some time since realized that I could reliably increase my overall personal security on the internet by randomly generating a distinct 24-character password for each and every login I have.

I have over 1000 passwords in my KeePass database and the only one I have to remember is my KeePass password. I don't even have to remember that with my phone because I can unlock it with my face and a PIN number.
[Reply]
vailpass 02:22 PM 04-06-2021
Originally Posted by tredadda:
Both of those seemed to be reviewed highly. So they in your opinion are not very user friendly?
They were both recommended to my by a cyber engineer friend as being effective. Using them was not intuitive to me but that could very well be due to a fault on my part. LastPass has a free trial and Keeper had a really low price around Black Friday. I'd say anyone who wanted to know how it works could try the LastPass free trial to see how they like it. My $.02 worth.
[Reply]
Third Eye 02:40 PM 04-06-2021
I started with a password manager to make sure I never forgot one of the 2 or 3 dozen passwords I had almost 20 years ago now. Before that, I was using the same kind of method you are now.

I some time since realized that I could reliably increase my overall personal security on the internet by randomly generating a distinct 24-character password for each and every login I have.

I have over 1000 passwords in my KeePass database and the only one I have to remember is my KeePass password. I don't even have to remember that with my phone because I can unlock it with my face and a PIN number.
Yeah, I can certainly see the upside. Unfortunately there’s a proverb about old dogs and new tricks that seems to apply here, though you seem to found a workaround.
[Reply]
The Rick 08:37 PM 04-07-2021
1Password is the best hands down. It's a subscription, but well worth the money.

https://1password.com
[Reply]
vailpass 10:39 PM 04-08-2021
Here is a decent run down of some popular pword managers.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/08/cnn-u...ers/index.html
[Reply]
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Up