ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Media Center>The Simpsons Renewed for Season 33 & 34
Mennonite 10:42 AM 03-19-2021
Who the hell is still watching this show?

https://deadline.com/2021/03/the-sim...ox-1234705714/

I still see tons of Simpsons memes from the golden era, but I don't think I've heard anyone talk about watching new episodes in 15 years. I think the episode where I realized that the show had turned to shit and gave up on it was "Kill the Alligator and Run." That one aired 20 years ago. And, truthfully, the show had been pretty crappy for a couple of years at that point.

It's just mind blowing to me that there are still enough viewers to keep the show on the air. Anybody here still watch the new episodes every week?
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 12:50 PM 03-27-2021
Originally Posted by Mennonite:
Cool. I'll check it out.

Out of curiosity, I decided to download some Simpsons episodes to see if I missed anything. I used a few online "best of" lists, IMDB, and the No Homers Simpsons forum to compile a list of the most highly regarded episodes after season 9. I watched about 20 episodes. I don't think they sucked, but I didn't find any of them particularly good either. I think they are (comparatively) popular because they A) shake up the usual formula or B) have sentimental storylines

The golden era was golden because it had episodes that had heart while also being extremely funny. The episodes that I watched just weren't funny. Some of them had creative plots, some had heartfelt moments, and some even had a couple of funny lines but none of them managed to combine all three. Or even two of the three. The biggest problem? There are just too many bad jokes. On the rare occasion when there's a funny joke it gets drowned out by 20 bad ones.

I also downloaded several episodes that weren't on any "best of" lists. They all sucked horribly. Quality ranged from "forgettable" to "complete shit."

In conclusion: stick with seasons 1-8. There are about a half dozen episodes that I like in season 9, 4 in season 11, and 1 in season 14. I don't understand how the show could have gotten bad so fast, why Fox still puts it on the air, or why in the hell anybody would stick with the show for last 20+ years.
That would make sense, but I recall reading an article saying thar the show was actually expensive to produce due to the actor's salaries. Maybe their salaries have been cut or maybe new technologies have made the show cheaper to produce.

Did you watch any of Halloween episodes after season 9? Those used to be really good, but the last couple I didn’t think were very funny.
[Reply]
Mennonite 03-27-2021, 01:09 PM
This message has been deleted by Mennonite.
Mennonite 02:56 PM 04-10-2021
Originally Posted by Deberg_1990:
Did you watch any of Halloween episodes after season 9? Those used to be really good, but the last couple I didn’t think were very funny.
Ok, I've watched all of the Halloween episodes now. The show is horrible, but there are a few ok segments between seasons 8 and 32.

Top Two:

Season 09 - "Fly vs. Fly"
Season 12 - "Night of the Dolphin" (Good enough to fit in the classic era)

The next three are just ok. Some good jokes. Some duds.

Season 13 - "Hex and the City"
Season 13 - "House of Whacks"
Season 16 - "The Ned Zone"

The season 25 Halloween episode was surprisingly...not terrible. It has a cool intro designed by Guillermo del Toro.

Season 25 - "Oh the Places You'll D'oh" (A clever Seuss parody)
Season 25 - "Dead and Shoulders" (weakest segment)
Season 25 - "Freaks no Geeks" (a parody of Tod Browning's Freaks)

Three that I'm not crazy about but seem to be popular with Simpsons fans:

Season 14 - "Send in the Clones"
Season 20 - "It's the Grand Pumpkin, Milhouse"
Season 26 - "The Others"

There is a Halloween episode that isn't in the Treehouse of Terror trilogy format. It's season 27's "Halloween of Horror." Fans seem to love it, but I think it's fairly mediocre. The first act is good at least.
[Reply]
Mennonite 11:14 AM 04-27-2021
Alright, I was bored and had nothing better to do so I watched every episode that I hadn't seen before. It was a huge waste of time because the show has been dogshit for 20 ****ing years. Not only does it suck, it actually sucks so bad that it kind of makes me think less of the earlier seasons too. That's how bad it is.

Anyways, here are the episodes that I consider ok that came out after the golden era of seasons 1-8:

Season 9:

The City of New York vs. Homer Simpson
Lisa's Sax
Miracle on Evergreen Terrace
Dumbbell Indemnity
Simpson Tide
King of the Hill
Lost Our Lisa

Season 10:

The Wizard of Evergreen Terrace

Season 11:

Brother's Little Helper
E-I-E-I-(Annoyed Grunt)
Last Tap Dance in Springfield
Behind the Laughter (should have ended the series right here)

Season 14:

The Dad Who Knew Too Little (The last truly good episode, imo.)

Season 17:

The Seemingly Never-Ending Story

Season 18:

The Haw-Hawed Couple

Season 25:

Treehouse of Horror XXIV
Four Regrettings and a Funeral

Season 26:

Simpsorama (both shows deserved a better sendoff, but it's still worth a watch)

Fair warning: I have shitty taste. Here's a list of later day episodes that are popular with Simpsons fans that I don't particularly care for. Most of them have ok plots, but I just don't find them very funny.

Halloween of Horror
Eternal Moonshine Of The Simpson Mind
Holidays of Future Passed
Barthood
Brick Like Me
24 Minutes
The Book Job
Steal This Episode
The DeBarted
22 for 30
Flanders' Ladder
Moe Baby Blues
A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again
The Way of the Dog
Trilogy of Error
Eeny Teeny Maya Moe
To Cur with Love
HOMЯ
There Will Be Buds
The Wife Aquatic
[Reply]
sedated 03:33 PM 04-28-2021
I have and love the DVDs of the first 8 seasons, but noticed its a show that is getting pretty outdated because of the cultural references. Not as bad as something like the Critic, but definitely noticeable. I guess its a compliment that it avoided that for 20-30 years.

I still bust out the Treehouse of Horrors episodes every Halloween.
[Reply]
ThaVirus 03:54 PM 04-28-2021
Alright, I was bored and had nothing better to do so I watched every episode that I hadn't seen before. It was a huge waste of time because the show has been dogshit for 20 ****ing years. Not only does it suck, it actually sucks so bad that it kind of makes me think less of the earlier seasons too. That's how bad it is.

Anyways, here are the episodes that I consider ok that came out after the golden era of seasons 1-8:

Season 9:

The City of New York vs. Homer Simpson
Lisa's Sax
Miracle on Evergreen Terrace
Dumbbell Indemnity
Simpson Tide
King of the Hill
Lost Our Lisa

Season 10:

The Wizard of Evergreen Terrace

Season 11:

Brother's Little Helper
E-I-E-I-(Annoyed Grunt)
Last Tap Dance in Springfield
Behind the Laughter (should have ended the series right here)

Season 14:

The Dad Who Knew Too Little (The last truly good episode, imo.)

Season 17:

The Seemingly Never-Ending Story

Season 18:

The Haw-Hawed Couple

Season 25:

Treehouse of Horror XXIV
Four Regrettings and a Funeral

Season 26:

Simpsorama (both shows deserved a better sendoff, but it's still worth a watch)

Fair warning: I have shitty taste. Here's a list of later day episodes that are popular with Simpsons fans that I don't particularly care for. Most of them have ok plots, but I just don't find them very funny.

Halloween of Horror
Eternal Moonshine Of The Simpson Mind
Holidays of Future Passed
Barthood
Brick Like Me
24 Minutes
The Book Job
Steal This Episode
The DeBarted
22 for 30
Flanders' Ladder
Moe Baby Blues
A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again
The Way of the Dog
Trilogy of Error
Eeny Teeny Maya Moe
To Cur with Love
HOMЯ
There Will Be Buds
The Wife Aquatic
I'm assuming you don't have these episodes memorized..? I fucking love Game of Thrones, it doesn't have half as many episodes as Simpsons and I'd be hard pressed to name more than like four of them off-hand.
[Reply]
Mennonite 04:14 PM 04-28-2021
Originally Posted by sedated:
I have and love the DVDs of the first 8 seasons, but noticed its a show that is getting pretty outdated because of the cultural references.

One thing I noticed about modern Simpsons fans is that they aren't as old as I thought they would be. I assumed that today's audience consisted mostly of people who watched the show in the 90s. It turns out that most of them seem to have started watching the show after the year 2000. Oddly enough, all of them still seem to prefer the older episodes though I can't imagine that they understand some of the jokes, some of which were dated even when they were new.

Originally Posted by ThaVirus:
I'm assuming you don't have these episodes memorized..? I ****ing love Game of Thrones, it doesn't have half as many episodes as Simpsons and I'd be hard pressed to name more than like four of them off-hand.
I'm pretty good at remembering episode titles for most of the shows that I like, but I'm also big making lists to keep track of shows and movies that I've watched.
[Reply]
Otter 08:01 AM 04-29-2021
The Simpsons vs The Walking Dead

Please, just drink the Kool-Aid already.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up