ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Media Center>The Simpsons Renewed for Season 33 & 34
Mennonite 10:42 AM 03-19-2021
Who the hell is still watching this show?

https://deadline.com/2021/03/the-sim...ox-1234705714/

I still see tons of Simpsons memes from the golden era, but I don't think I've heard anyone talk about watching new episodes in 15 years. I think the episode where I realized that the show had turned to shit and gave up on it was "Kill the Alligator and Run." That one aired 20 years ago. And, truthfully, the show had been pretty crappy for a couple of years at that point.

It's just mind blowing to me that there are still enough viewers to keep the show on the air. Anybody here still watch the new episodes every week?
[Reply]
ThaVirus 12:20 PM 03-19-2021
When I first got Disney+ I started watching it from the beginning. I flamed out a couple seasons in but I enjoyed it enough that I keep telling myself to pick it back up. I hope to make it all the way through the series.

Also, the Simpsons Movie was pretty funny.
[Reply]
GayFrogs 01:53 PM 03-20-2021
Yeah kill the alligator and run was pretty terrible. I think there were still good episodes up til season 14 or so, then it felt like they pulled back and became a cheap imitation of much earlier seasons and lame. Then it just got grotesquely bad, like where you couldn't tell if the writers were intending to make it funny. I get a little disturbed when I'm reminded that new episodes are being made.
[Reply]
Sorry 12:25 PM 03-21-2021
nothing touches the golden era tho, just sublime writing and jokes and social commentary.
[Reply]
EPodolak 12:39 PM 03-21-2021
I remember around 1992 or so reading a list of the "best motion pictures" of the year...included in one of the spots was that years Simpsons season, which I agreed with. Have no idea how it's still going all these years later.

One of my favorites - Homer gets a subliminal vocabulary tape instead of the weight loss tape he ordered: "Disingenuous mountebanks with their subliminal chicanery! A pox on them!"
[Reply]
rydogg58 12:58 PM 03-21-2021
I usually turn it on Hulu at night before I go to sleep. I'm usually out before the opening credits are over. I'll wake up the next morning and it'll be 2 seasons later. My daughter jokes that I've played every episode of every season at least 3 times and have never seen a single one.
[Reply]
Frazod 02:12 PM 03-21-2021
I can't remember the last time I sat down and watched an entire episode. It's likely been 20 years.

Hard to believe how long it's been on, though. I was still in the Navy when the show started and I've been out for nearly 31 years.
[Reply]
Mennonite 10:46 AM 03-22-2021
Originally Posted by Sorry:
nothing touches the golden era tho, just sublime writing and jokes and social commentary.

I don't know of many shows that can match the first 9 years of the Simpsons. I can't tell you how often I run across something in everyday life that reminds me of a 25 year old Simpsons quote.

Originally Posted by rydogg58:
I usually turn it on Hulu at night before I go to sleep. I'm usually out before the opening credits are over. I'll wake up the next morning and it'll be 2 seasons later. My daughter jokes that I've played every episode of every season at least 3 times and have never seen a single one.
Can you recommend any episodes post season 11 that are good? I mean, hell, there have to be at least a few good episodes out of the last 20 seasons.
[Reply]
GayFrogs 02:06 AM 03-24-2021
I can't remember the episode but my favorite moment in the crappy years is when homer writes a song about how much he hates flanders.
[Reply]
GayFrogs 02:09 AM 03-24-2021
Here it is
[Reply]
ModSocks 03:16 PM 03-24-2021
I've put it on here and there, but never actually sat through an episode in probably....yeah...like everyone else said, in 20 years or so.
[Reply]
rydogg58 07:20 PM 03-24-2021
Originally Posted by Mennonite:
I don't know of many shows that can match the first 9 years of the Simpsons. I can't tell you how often I run across something in everyday life that reminds me of a 25 year old Simpsons quote.

Can you recommend any episodes post season 11 that are good? I mean, hell, there have to be at least a few good episodes out of the last 20 seasons.
I don't have a clue. Watch Brickleberry instead. There were some episodes I actually laughed at, and unlike The Simpsons, I've actually WATCHED the episodes and not fallen asleep.
[Reply]
Mennonite 12:14 PM 03-27-2021
Originally Posted by rydogg58:
I don't have a clue. Watch Brickleberry instead.
Cool. I'll check it out.

Out of curiosity, I decided to download some Simpsons episodes to see if I missed anything. I used a few online "best of" lists, IMDB, and the No Homers Simpsons forum to compile a list of the most highly regarded episodes after season 9. I watched about 20 episodes. I don't think they sucked, but I didn't find any of them particularly good either. I think they are (comparatively) popular because they A) shake up the usual formula or B) have sentimental storylines

The golden era was golden because it had episodes that had heart while also being extremely funny. The episodes that I watched just weren't funny. Some of them had creative plots, some had heartfelt moments, and some even had a couple of funny lines but none of them managed to combine all three. Or even two of the three. The biggest problem? There are just too many bad jokes. On the rare occasion when there's a funny joke it gets drowned out by 20 bad ones.

I also downloaded several episodes that weren't on any "best of" lists. They all sucked horribly. Quality ranged from "forgettable" to "complete shit."

In conclusion: stick with seasons 1-8. There are about a half dozen episodes that I like in season 9, 4 in season 11, and 1 in season 14. I don't understand how the show could have gotten bad so fast, why Fox still puts it on the air, or why in the hell anybody would stick with the show for last 20+ years.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 12:30 PM 03-27-2021
Originally Posted by Mennonite:
Cool. I'll check it out.

Out of curiosity, I decided to download some Simpsons episodes to see if I missed anything. I used a few online "best of" lists, IMDB, and the No Homers Simpsons forum to compile a list of the most highly regarded episodes after season 9. I watched about 20 episodes. I don't think they sucked, but I didn't find any of them particularly good either. I think they are (comparatively) popular because they A) shake up the usual formula or B) have sentimental storylines

The golden era was golden because it had episodes that had heart while also being extremely funny. The episodes that I watched just weren't funny. Some of them had creative plots, some had heartfelt moments, and some even had a couple of funny lines but none of them managed to combine all three. Or even two of the three. The biggest problem? There are just too many bad jokes. On the rare occasion when there's a funny joke it gets drowned out by 20 bad ones.

I also downloaded several episodes that weren't on any "best of" lists. They all sucked horribly. Quality ranged from "forgettable" to "complete shit."

In conclusion: stick with seasons 1-8. There are about a half dozen episodes that I like in season 9, 4 in season 11, and 1 in season 14. I don't understand how the show could have gotten bad so fast, why Fox still puts it on the air, or why in the hell anybody would stick with the show for last 20+ years.
It must be cheap to produce relative to its ratings.
[Reply]
Mennonite 12:45 PM 03-27-2021
Originally Posted by Deberg_1990:
It must be cheap to produce relative to its ratings.

That would make sense, but I recall reading an article saying that the show was actually expensive to produce due to the actor's salaries. Maybe their salaries have been cut or maybe new technologies have made the show cheaper to produce.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up