ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 9 of 13
« First < 56789 10111213 >
Media Center>Gaming Computer Build
Rukdafaidas 09:35 AM 01-28-2021
As mentioned in the video card thread, my son is getting ready to build his first computer. He has an online buddy that he games with that builds his own PC's and he has given him a list of components that he recommended he use. He's spending his own money on this and I wanted to make sure he gets good components and that they're compatible.

Component List:
Ryzen 5 5600
MSI Geforce 3060 TI TRIO 8GB
MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus ATX AM4 motherboard
G SKill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2x8GB) DDR 3600 CL18 memory
Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200 RPM Internal HD
Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB M.2-2280 EVME SSD
Fractal Design Ion+ 560W 80+ ATX Power Supply

Does this look like a good setup? Any concerns or ideas? He mostly plays CS:GO and I realize this gaming card is probably overkill for that game, but he also plays wants to play games that require a better GPU. He basically wants to build a system that will play any game that's currently out there. He also wants something that can be easily upgraded in the future, when needed.

We haven't begun to look at cases or monitors. I think the case will depend on which graphics card we end up finding. I know the MSI Trio that was suggested is huge, but we can get a smaller case if we get a 2 fan version. Any suggestions on monitors as far as hertz and resolution? He doesn't need anything very big, he's going to be sitting right in front of it.
[Reply]
Pants 12:19 PM 03-24-2021
Originally Posted by Fish:
Bummer.

First thing to do would be to eliminate everything except only what you need to boot and install windows. Remove all drives except the one you want Windows installed on. Remove all other PCIe cards except your video card. Remove RAM sticks to include only what you need to boot. Clear your CMOS, then try to boot again.

Just noticed this advice/limitation for your mobo as well:
Yeah, that's what I was alluding to in my previous post about lane sharing.

I wouldn't think that would be the cause for the issues Dane is having but you never know. I am actually not sure what could be causing what he's describing.

If Google can't give you a good answer, Dane, you might want to go try looking on the mobo forum for clues and, worst case, create a thread. A lot of times, the nerdy folks on those forums are very helpful.

I have taken that path multiple times over the years of fucking around with my builds.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 02:42 PM 03-24-2021
Originally Posted by Pants:
Yeah, that's what I was alluding to in my previous post about lane sharing.

I wouldn't think that would be the cause for the issues Dane is having but you never know. I am actually not sure what could be causing what he's describing.

If Google can't give you a good answer, Dane, you might want to go try looking on the mobo forum for clues and, worst case, create a thread. A lot of times, the nerdy folks on those forums are very helpful.

I have taken that path multiple times over the years of fucking around with my builds.
Bummer.

First thing to do would be to eliminate everything except only what you need to boot and install windows. Remove all drives except the one you want Windows installed on. Remove all other PCIe cards except your video card. Remove RAM sticks to include only what you need to boot. Clear your CMOS, then try to boot again.

Just noticed this advice/limitation for your mobo as well:
Thanks, Guys!

I sat on hold for about an hour with Gigabyte, then finally put in my number for a callback in 3-4 hours. I just removed all of the Ram and both NVMe drives but as soon as I plug in a power cord to the computer, it automatically boots, doesn't respond to the case buttons and has a blank, black screen.

I'm kinda bummed about losing the SATA 1 spot to the NVMe because I have a total of six drives in total to add to this computer once it's up and running, but I can always add more via TB.

Gigabyte is supposed to call me back by 4pm PST. I've had issues like these when building in the past and it's always been due to a faulty motherboard. Hopefully, I'll find out before the end of the day.
[Reply]
TambaBerry 03:52 PM 03-24-2021
I'm very curious what this could be, it's really weird, you're saying it starts up as soon as you plug it in? Then nothing happens?
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 03:56 PM 03-24-2021
Originally Posted by TambaBerry:
I'm very curious what this could be, it's really weird, you're saying it starts up as soon as you plug it in? Then nothing happens?
Yes. I asked this on a pro audio forum and was instructed to update the BIOS to F5, then upgrade to 10. I've removed everything but the CPU, updated to the latest version and I still get nothing.

I removed the battery and reset it but was told that dead batteries account for half of all dead motherboards but I don't have a 2032 available to test against.

One thing did change, however: The power button is working but this is so totally weird. I've built dozens of computers since 1997 but this one is a real stumper.
[Reply]
TambaBerry 05:28 PM 03-24-2021
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
Yes. I asked this on a pro audio forum and was instructed to update the BIOS to F5, then upgrade to 10. I've removed everything but the CPU, updated to the latest version and I still get nothing.

I removed the battery and reset it but was told that dead batteries account for half of all dead motherboards but I don't have a 2032 available to test against.

One thing did change, however: The power button is working but this is so totally weird. I've built dozens of computers since 1997 but this one is a real stumper.
Wtf that is really weird. You've checked all wiring? I know how dumb that sounds but have to suggest it
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 06:04 PM 03-24-2021
So, I just got off an 80 minute call with Gigabyte and the problem lies with the power supply. Only 1 of the tiny 4 LED's on the motherboard light up and the CPU is not receiving any power, so I'm returning the Thermaltake 850 watt and just ordered a Corsair 750 watt unit from Amazon that will arrive tomorrow night.

I'll report back in a few days. Thanks again!
[Reply]
vailpass 06:34 PM 03-24-2021
So, I just got off an 80 minute call with Gigabyte and the problem lies with the power supply. Only 1 of the tiny 4 LED's on the motherboard light up and the CPU is not receiving any power, so I'm returning the Thermaltake 850 watt and just ordered a Corsair 750 watt unit from Amazon that will arrive tomorrow night.

I'll report back in a few days. Thanks again!
Pain in the ass. If you get time definitely let us know if this ends up being the fix.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 06:40 PM 03-24-2021
Originally Posted by vailpass:
Pain in the ass. If you get time definitely let us know if this ends up being the fix.
Absolutely!

But yeah man, this is the absolute worst part about assembling a computer by yourself: Troubleshooting.

I've received faulty parts for every computer I've built since 2001 but this is the first time since 2008 that's it's been the power supply. It was pretty clear that it was the issue because it was the only LED out of four that was lit up on the board and right next to it, in like a .005 font, said "CPU".

But it's all good because if I had purchased this from a PC Audio computer builder, it would have been at least $4k and there's always a chance of parts failure with those builds as well.

And crazily enough, the motherboard I purchased jumped $50 dollars in price on Amazon and it's more than $500 on NewEgg! And, they're backordered to boot, so hopefully, the tech is correct and it's just the power supply only.

Thanks again to everyone for their suggestions. It is greatly appreciated!
[Reply]
Dayze 10:17 AM 03-25-2021
Absolutely!

But yeah man, this is the absolute worst part about assembling a computer by yourself: Troubleshooting.

I've received faulty parts for every computer I've built since 2001 but this is the first time since 2008 that's it's been the power supply. It was pretty clear that it was the issue because it was the only LED out of four that was lit up on the board and right next to it, in like a .005 font, said "CPU".

But it's all good because if I had purchased this from a PC Audio computer builder, it would have been at least $4k and there's always a chance of parts failure with those builds as well.

And crazily enough, the motherboard I purchased jumped $50 dollars in price on Amazon and it's more than $500 on NewEgg! And, they're backordered to boot, so hopefully, the tech is correct and it's just the power supply only.

Thanks again to everyone for their suggestions. It is greatly appreciated!
:-)
I think I have several items that also have this size font.

"Should we use a font the customer can read"?

"Nah..."

"Why not"?

"...because SCREW em...that's why"
[Reply]
Fish 10:53 AM 03-26-2021
Fucking Micro Center is just trolling at this point.

This morning, I notice a bunch of 30X0 cards listed on Micro Center OP's website. Several different 3080s, 3070, and a 3060Ti. They were absolutely not listed yesterday. So, I assume/hope that means they got a few cards in stock overnight. I went out earlier this time. Ended up the 5th person in line waiting for the store to open. Feeling good. Got inside, and nope they had nothing available.

Don't believe the website....
[Reply]
Pants 02:04 PM 03-26-2021

This morning, I notice a bunch of 30X0 cards listed on Micro Center OP's website. Several different 3080s, 3070, and a 3060Ti. They were absolutely not listed yesterday. So, I assume/hope that means they got a few cards in stock overnight. I went out earlier this time. Ended up the 5th person in line waiting for the store to open. Feeling good. Got inside, and nope they had nothing available.

Damn, dude. What a let down. :-)
[Reply]
srvy 03:39 PM 03-26-2021
Doesn't Microcenter let you reserve for pickup? I know they did the last time I ordered anything there.
[Reply]
vailpass 03:40 PM 03-26-2021
****ing Micro Center is just trolling at this point.

One of these days.
[Reply]
TambaBerry 03:51 PM 03-26-2021

I think it's Wednesday morning and Saturday mornings they get their stock. My buddy has gotten three of them, two 3090 and one 3080. For three different people not to scalp
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 04:11 PM 03-26-2021
Well, new power supply, same exact results: The Red LED light labeled CPU on the motherboard is lit again. All of the fans power up but it still doesn't get to the BIOS, just a blank screen.

I just tried calling Gigabyte support but they're not open today. Amazon won't have any replacement motherboards until April 14th, so I think I'm hosed until then because unless I improperly seated the i9, which I've checked twice so far, the motherboard is bunk.

Thoughts? Thanks again in advance!
[Reply]
Page 9 of 13
« First < 56789 10111213 >
Up