ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3615 of 3903
« First < 2615311535153565360536113612361336143615 3616361736183619362536653715 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
dirk digler 06:44 AM 08-06-2021
Originally Posted by wazu:
From my conversations with health professionals, I thought all hospitals had already mandated. Like, mandated last December. Surprised to hear this is a new thing anywhere.
Only 1 hospital in KC has mandated it so far. I am sure more will when it gets fully approved.

Originally Posted by jdubya:
Just curious....what is her plan B? I live here in Ca and have buddy who is dating a "traveling" nurse from Michigan. She is out here in Ca 6-8 months a year making insane money. I wonder if that is what your ex is thinking?
I have no idea and can't see her doing that. She will probably move from job to job until she can't. I find this amusing and pathetic. Just get the fucking shot jfc.
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 07:00 AM 08-06-2021
Originally Posted by Bearcat:
I hadn't really thought about the vaccine requirements in terms of people who have recovered from Covid, and my 30 second search uncovered this one article about it.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/s...cientists-urge

...that's one of the more interesting debates about all of this, IMO, because just like with the vaccine, it's not about whether you can get Covid again, but about your chances of being hospitalized for Covid the 2nd/3rd/nth time.

Granted, I think you'd still need a good reason not to get vaccinated beyond recovering from Covid, especially if the reality becomes proof of vaccine to do stuff.
Honestly it is asinine and unscientific to insist that those who have had COVID get vaxxed. Everything I've read on it says natural infection provides equal protection as vaccination. Your article isn't particularly science based.

If a person decides to get vaxxed after having COVID, good for them. I have a couple family members who did so and some friends. It isn't like we have a shortage of doses for literally everyone in the USA.

It probably isn't necessary and likely doesn't add any real protection beyond peace of mind. People who survived COVID shouldn't be shamed or forced to get the shots.

https://wjla.com/news/nation-world/n...li-study-shows
[Reply]
TLO 08-06-2021, 08:12 AM
This message has been deleted by TLO.
suzzer99 08:42 AM 08-06-2021
Originally Posted by lawrenceRaider:
Honestly it is asinine and unscientific to insist that those who have had COVID get vaxxed. Everything I've read on it says natural infection provides equal protection as vaccination. Your article isn't particularly science based.

If a person decides to get vaxxed after having COVID, good for them. I have a couple family members who did so and some friends. It isn't like we have a shortage of doses for literally everyone in the USA.

It probably isn't necessary and likely doesn't add any real protection beyond peace of mind. People who survived COVID shouldn't be shamed or forced to get the shots.

https://wjla.com/news/nation-world/n...li-study-shows
The problem is how do you know you were sick enough to have protection? This guy thought he was protected, but apparently not.

“After surviving a mild covid-19 case last year, Campbell said he thought he had the antibodies to ward off future infection. Now, he worries the decision to delay the shot will cost him his life, as he fights pneumonia and a partially collapsed lung.”https://t.co/3S1XE50gWw

— Patrick Thornton (@pwthornton) August 6, 2021

[Reply]
DaFace 08-06-2021, 08:48 AM
This message has been deleted by DaFace. Reason: meh
wazu 08:49 AM 08-06-2021
Originally Posted by suzzer99:
The problem is how do you know you were sick enough to have protection? This guy thought he was protected, but apparently not.

Would be curious if he actually tested positive for COVID during his "mild" infection. Or if he's one of the million people who had some kind of sickness in 2020 that they "think" was COVID.
[Reply]
wazu 08:51 AM 08-06-2021
By the way, Travis Campbell has somehow worked his way into being a celebrity COVID victim. If he survives he should write a book and go on tour.
[Reply]
suzzer99 09:39 AM 08-06-2021
Originally Posted by wazu:
Would be curious if he actually tested positive for COVID during his "mild" infection. Or if he's one of the million people who had some kind of sickness in 2020 that they "think" was COVID.
I feel like WaPo would have vetted that. But who knows.

Originally Posted by :
Their family doesn’t watch the news much, she added, and they weren’t tracking the resurgence of coronavirus cases across the country.

“It wasn’t that we didn’t want to get vaccinated or were scared of it,” James Campbell said. “I had no idea covid had gotten bad [again] until Travis got sick.”
That is a serious lack of news bubble. I wonder what % of the country lives like that.
[Reply]
O.city 10:30 AM 08-06-2021

Interesting preprint showing that

(a) mRNA vaccines produce a pretty good neutralizing titer even 5 mo after last dose, even against Delta

(b) titer produced by vaccines is HIGHER and more durable than that from NATURAL infection

(c) Moderna > Pfizer

https://t.co/J9v7rIgZVE pic.twitter.com/AnaETukV3k

— Yuri Deigin (@ydeigin) August 6, 2021

[Reply]
Monticore 10:35 AM 08-06-2021
Originally Posted by O.city:
have they done studies on patients who had COVID plus only 1 shot of the vaccine .
[Reply]
MahomesMagic 10:44 AM 08-06-2021
Too bad it doesn't work that way in the real world.

But I'm glad that they made a study.
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 10:51 AM 08-06-2021
Text summary on the link says that people recovered from COVID have more effective B Cells, and then says they may have even better with a vaccionation booster. If I read it right, it said not much boost for just those who have not had COVID but been vaccinated by an additional booster.

Originally Posted by :
We conclude that memory antibodies selected over time by natural infection have greater potency and breadth than antibodies elicited by vaccination. These results suggest that boosting vaccinated individuals with currently available mRNA vaccines would produce a quantitative increase in plasma neutralizing activity but not the qualitative advantage against variants obtained by vaccinating convalescent individuals.

[Reply]
O.city 10:53 AM 08-06-2021
Originally Posted by MahomesMagic:
Too bad it doesn't work that way in the real world.

But I'm glad that they made a study.
It was a study done on a real world cohort. So I’m not sure your implication here.
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 10:55 AM 08-06-2021
Originally Posted by suzzer99:

https://medicine.wustl.edu/news/good...dy-protection/

Originally Posted by :
“People with mild cases of COVID-19 clear the virus from their bodies two to three weeks after infection, so there would be no virus driving an active immune response seven or 11 months after infection,” Ellebedy said. “These cells are not dividing. They are quiescent, just sitting in the bone marrow and secreting antibodies. They have been doing that ever since the infection resolved, and they will continue doing that indefinitely.”
People need to have proof that they actually had COVID, not that they "think" they had it because of some mild cold.
[Reply]
O.city 10:57 AM 08-06-2021
Originally Posted by lawrenceRaider:
Text summary on the link says that people recovered from COVID have more effective B Cells, and then says they may have even better with a vaccionation booster. If I read it right, it said not much boost for just those who have not had COVID but been vaccinated by an additional booster.
I believe it would be likely that a single dose vaccination would produce a more polyclonal antibody which would widen the response range. But that's just my read on it.
[Reply]
MahomesMagic 11:01 AM 08-06-2021
We conclude that memory antibodies selected over time by natural infection have greater potency and breadth than antibodies elicited by vaccination. These results suggest that boosting vaccinated individuals with currently available mRNA vaccines would produce a quantitative increase in plasma neutralizing activity but not the qualitative advantage against variants obtained by vaccinating convalescent individuals.

Well, that is what we have seen so far.
[Reply]
O.city 11:05 AM 08-06-2021
Yeah, looks like at this point, there wouldn't be any reason to vaccinate someone who has had previous infection.

Maybe a single dose that would be specifically geared to Delta, but I don't think it's drifted enough genetically to be necessary.
[Reply]
Page 3615 of 3903
« First < 2615311535153565360536113612361336143615 3616361736183619362536653715 > Last »
Up