7 Kyle Isbel, OF
8 Khali Lee, OF
9 Jonathan Bowlan, RHP
10 Carlos Hernedez, RHP
[Reply]
Prison Bitch 12:04 PM 09-30-2021
Originally Posted by siberian khatru:
Speaking of bringing the glove:

Some folks here want to move him off SS. :-)
[Reply]
TomBarndtsTwin 01:02 PM 09-30-2021
Originally Posted by Prison Bitch:
Well, you wanna have all your best defensive players on the field as much as possible and all of your best offensive players in the lineup.

Next year, you will have Whit, Lopez, Mondesi, Witt Jr. (likely out of the gate) and maybe Pratto at some point later in year. That's not even mentioning Melendez, who will likely platoon some with Salvy if he gets called up, but will also need to find time at some other positions if you want his bat in the lineup consistently.

Witt Jr. can be a gold glover at either SS or 3B. With his power and defense, he'd be great at either position. The Royals need to utilize him wherever they can maximize the assets of all the players on their team, while getting the best lineup possible everyday.

The Royals have a gold glove caliber SS right now who is also turning himself into a pretty decent hitter. They have nothing at 3B (unless you consider Mondesi's few spots starts there as a permanent solution, although I think we've learned we can't depend on him going forward). IF the Royals were looking to get Witt Jr.'s bat and glove onto the team ASAP, it would seem 3B would be the most obvious solution.

That doesn't mean he has to stay there permanently or that you're moving him off SS forever. Just means your organization recognizes you have a potential elite offensive and defensive player and you need to find a way to get him into the lineup and on the field everyday, while also maximizing the skill sets of the other players you have around him.
[Reply]
TomBarndtsTwin 01:14 PM 09-30-2021
You basically have 2 choices next year out of the gate:

C - Salvy (later in year, possibly some Melendez)
1B - Santana (later in year, Pratto, likely)
2B - Whit
SS - Nicky
3B - Witt Jr.
RF - Dozier/Mondesi?
CF - Taylor
LF - Benni

OR

C - Salvy
1B - Santana (Pratto later)
2B - Nicky
SS - Witt Jr.
3B - Dozier/Mondesi
RF - Whit
CF - Taylor
LF - Benni

So it's really just a matter of which way the Royals want to go with it. I'd be okay with Mondi getting spot duty at 3B (when he's healthy, of course), but I don't want Dozier anywhere near it. And you know he (Dozier) is gonna play, due to his contract. They will force the issue with him. Putting Witt Jr. at 3B would keep Dozier away from the hot corner. Mondi would likely fill in if Witt Jr. ever needed a day off. And it keeps Dozier locked into RF/DH role only (maybe ocassionally 1B), which minimizes his impact defensively (a good thing) on the team.

Just my .02
[Reply]
Why Not? 01:27 PM 09-30-2021
Salvy in at DH. Either not a really severe sprain or definitely some really severe pain killers. Either way glad he’s in there since I assume it’s been deemed safe by the medical staff.
[Reply]
ROYC75 01:52 PM 09-30-2021
It's going to come down to who is better defensively at SS. as long as Witt Jr and Mondesi can play 3 rd base. Now if the. Royals decide it's time to move Whitt Merrifield to RF and use Dozier at DH, then you could see all 3 of them ( Lopez, Whitt & Mondi ) on the infield.

But then you are keeping Kyle Isbel from contributing on a Dailey basis.
Everybody wants to see Witt Junior here on a daily basis, as do I,the kid has awesome potential but I'm not sold he is better than Lopez defensively at shortstop.

As Dayton said, it's a nice problem to have!
[Reply]
dlphg9 01:55 PM 09-30-2021
That Dozier contract looks worse and worse by the day. He's gonna keep some young guys from getting their chance. Like Jeff Francouer.
[Reply]
Bronco_buster2 02:00 PM 09-30-2021
This is what I put down last night.
2B-Whit
SS-Lopez
C-Salvy
LF-Benny
3B-Witt Jr
1B-MJ Melendez
DH-2019 Dozier
RF-Mondy or Isbel
CF-MA Taylor

It’s more what I wish, than what I think will happen. Regardless, where ever Mondy is used, there has to be realistic replacement either as a platoon like they are doing now, or for when he is hurt. DM has already said he can’t be counted for a full season. That, to me, is why Whit, Witt, and Nicky make up the infield. Plug em and leave em.

Oh and I’m sure Witt can bat anywhere in this lineup. The point I was making when I first shared it to come guys, was Taylor’s bat is not a liability in a line up like this.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 02:47 PM 09-30-2021
re: lineup on opening day, my guess is we're all disappointed and none of Witt, Melendez, or Pratto break the Opening Day lineup.

Merrifield 2B
Lopez SS
Perez C/DH
Benintendi LF
Santana 1B
Mondesi 3B/DH
Dozier RF
Taylor CF
Isbel OF/DH

Originally Posted by dlphg9:
That Dozier contract looks worse and worse by the day. He's gonna keep some young guys from getting their chance. Like Jeff Francouer.
If he's the player he has been in the second half (.260/.332/.447), the contract works. He's just been so wildly inconsistent as a player, it's hard to know what you're getting with him.
[Reply]
TomBarndtsTwin 03:02 PM 09-30-2021
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
re: lineup on opening day, my guess is we're all disappointed and none of Witt, Melendez, or Pratto break the Opening Day lineup.

Merrifield 2B
Lopez SS
Perez C/DH
Benintendi LF
Santana 1B
Mondesi 3B/DH
Dozier RF
Taylor CF
Isbel OF/DH

If he's the player he has been in the second half (.260/.332/.447), the contract works. He's just been so wildly inconsistent as a player, it's hard to know what you're getting with him.
You think they keep him down for service time reasons or they genuinely don't think he's ready for MLB everyday, even if he rakes in ST.

Or is it just that they wanna give Dozier every opportunity to play as much as possible, before they move him up (Witt Jr.) and start playing him everyday?

If it's reason #3, that's bullshit.

I get it. But it's still bullshit.
[Reply]
Prison Bitch 03:05 PM 09-30-2021
Duncan, wanna put $100 on Witt not being on opening day roster?
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 03:44 PM 09-30-2021
Originally Posted by TomBarndtsTwin:
You think they keep him down for service time reasons or they genuinely don't think he's ready for MLB everyday, even if he rakes in ST.

Or is it just that they wanna give Dozier every opportunity to play as much as possible, before they move him up (Witt Jr.) and start playing him everyday?

If it's reason #3, that's bullshit.

I get it. But it's still bullshit.
I think it's reason #1. We'll see how the CBA changes this winter, though.

Duncan, wanna put $100 on Witt not being on opening day roster?
I'm not a betting man.

CBA changes this winter COULD change things. If there's no longer a reason to keep them down for a month and gain an extra year of control, he'll break the spring with the big-league club.
[Reply]
ChiefsCountry 04:03 PM 09-30-2021
David Lesky was just on Springfield sports talk this afternoon says the Royals should look to make a trade with the A's for either Frankie Montas or Chris Bassitt this offseason.
[Reply]
Bronco_buster2 04:35 PM 09-30-2021
Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry:
David Lesky was just on Springfield sports talk this afternoon says the Royals should look to make a trade with the A's for either Frankie Montas or Chris Bassitt this offseason.
Both are nice options. It’s hard to see them making a move with Minor on contract for another year, plus Hernandez, Keller, Singer, Bubic, Lynch, and Kowar all could be used. Adding another veteran pushes 3 of those into the minors.
[Reply]
poolboy 05:08 PM 09-30-2021
Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry:
I would be done with Chris Bassitt...move Keller to the pen
[Reply]
dlphg9 06:09 PM 09-30-2021
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
I'd be willing to guess that he's somewhere around a .675-.725 OPS player and with how shit his D is, then that's a really shitty contract. He never should have gotten it.
[Reply]
Page 417 of 440
« First < 317367407413414415416417 418419420421427 > Last »
Up