ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 18 of 70
« First < 81415161718 192021222868 > Last »
Media Center>Star Trek Picard
Frazod 11:27 AM 06-20-2018
http://www.denofgeek.com/us/tv/star-...in-development

Star Trek: The Next Generation Reboot With Patrick Stewart Reportedly in Development

Rumors of the Picard-centric reboot come amid Alex Kurtzman extending his CBS contract for a planned expansion of the Star Trek TV universe.

According to a THR article, there are unconfirmed rumors that CBS TV Studios is developing a Star Trek reboot starring Patrick Stewart in which he would reprise his The Next Generation role as Captain Jean-Luc Picard. According to THR's sources, Alex Kurtzman and Akiva Goldsman are attached to the potential reboot. Not only is this an unconfirmed project, but THR's sources also say that the deal is far from complete and might not happen. Still, this would be huge news for Star Trek fandom—however you might feel about a Picard-centric reboot.

The rumors of the Picard reboot come amidst Kurtzman renewing his overall deal with CBS Television Studios, extending his contract by five years. This will keep him in partnership with the studio through 2023, for a reported $5 million per year.

Kurtzman was recently made sole showrunner of Star Trek: Discovery following the dismissal of previous co-showrunners Aaron Harberts and Gretchen Berg who left amidst reports of bullying behavior in the writers room. Goldsman, who served as an executive producer on Season 1 of Discovery, also left the show, reportedly due to a clash with the writing staff in terms of management style and personality, so it's interesting that he is still attached to the potential Picard-centric reboot.

In addition to his work on Star Trek: Discovery, Kurtzman's extended deal with CBS Television Studios will include an expansion of the Star Trek franchise on the small screen, including the development of new series, miniseries, and other content, including animation.

While this generally seems like good news for the Star Trek universe, it may also be disappointing, depending on what kind of Star Trek fan you are. While the move represents a reinvestment in the Star Trek TV universe, Kurtzman is not known for critical success. Previously, he has co-written the scripts for Transformers, Star Trek, Star Trek Into Darkness, and The Amazing Spider-Man 2. More recently, he directed and co-wrote The Mummy. Not exactly the kind of nuanced science fiction writing Star Trek has, at its best, historically represented.

More news on the expanded Star Trek TV universe as we hear it.
[Reply]
keg in kc 04:22 PM 02-22-2020
Originally Posted by listopencil:
Yeah, LOL, you're nuts. I watched AC. I enjoyed the series well enough to be interested in season two. But it's second rate compared to what we've seen of Picard already. In fact the weaker episodes of AC are crap by comparison.
Come on, now. Don't have to be nuts to have a different opinion. No need to be a dick.
Originally Posted by Bowser:
If you haven't read Altered Carbon yet, you sincerely should. The show is good to very good in spots, but the book is fantastic.
Yeah. The books are amazing. But it's not mainstream stuff, by any means. And neither is the TV series, although they do a bunch of things that effectively dumb it down for a larger audience. Even so, it's definitely harder than Star Trek, speaking scientifically, culturally, and so on (by 'harder' I mean hard science fiction rather than space opera). So it won't be for everyone. But it's definitely for me, and I can't wait for season two next week.

To me, Picard has nostalgia going for it. And that's about it. Taken on its own, without the easter eggs and connection to decades of previous story, it would not be very compelling television. The new characters are all cutout stereotypes and what plot there is has gone essentially nowhere over the course of five hours. The only reason to watch so far is to see Patrick Stewart one last time and to watch for callbacks to stuff I sort of remember from twenty years ago. And that's enough, so far, to keep me watching it. But I'm not going to try to convince myself or anyone else that it's got any more substance to it than that.
[Reply]
Mennonite 08:17 PM 02-22-2020
Spoil me: people on a Trek forum are speculating that Seven is a lesbian. Any suggestion of that in the latest episode?
[Reply]
Bowser 08:26 PM 02-22-2020
Originally Posted by Mennonite:
Spoil me: people on a Trek forum are speculating that Seven is a lesbian. Any suggestion of that in the latest episode?
Yes.

And I'd say she's bi because didn't she bang both Chakotay and Harry Kim? Maybe?
[Reply]
keg in kc 08:29 PM 02-22-2020
Yeah, I interpreted the previous interaction as intimate. So she's bi or pan.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 11:04 AM 02-25-2020

[Reply]
crayzkirk 12:06 PM 02-25-2020
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
Now that's funny...

TNG, VOY, ENT, DS9... At some point, I lost interest because it was no longer Star Trek. In fact, I never could stand DS9. VOY became how tight can we make 6of9's outfit. They seem to have lost what makes Star Trek different.
[Reply]
Mephistopheles Janx 12:17 PM 02-25-2020
Originally Posted by crayzkirk:
Now that's funny...

TNG, VOY, ENT, DS9... At some point, I lost interest because it was no longer Star Trek. In fact, I never could stand DS9. VOY became how tight can we make 6of9's outfit. They seem to have lost what makes Star Trek different.
The Dominion War in DS9 is literally the best Trek ever written and produced.
[Reply]
Frazod 12:39 PM 02-25-2020
Star Trek got exponentially better after Roddenberry died and he was no longer able to foist his fucktarded communist utopia on the showrunners and writers.

It always cracked me up how on one hand they talked about not having/needing/carrying money, but then they always talked about buying things. With what?
[Reply]
007 04:58 PM 02-25-2020
Originally Posted by Frazod:
Star Trek got exponentially better after Roddenberry died and he was no longer able to foist his fucktarded communist utopia on the showrunners and writers.

It always cracked me up how on one hand they talked about not having/needing/carrying money, but then they always talked about buying things. With what?
We've moved beyond needs and wants. We've become a society with a need to better ourselves.
[Reply]
Frazod 08:09 PM 02-25-2020
Originally Posted by 007:
We've moved beyond needs and wants. We've become a society with a need to better ourselves.
Unless Scotty wants to buy a boat. Or McCoy needs to hire a ship to take him to the Mutara sector. Or anybody wants to gamble at Quark's.
[Reply]
Mennonite 09:37 AM 02-26-2020
NOG: It's my money, Jake. If you want to bid at the auction, use your own money.
JAKE: I'm human, I don't have any money.
NOG: It's not my fault that your species decided to abandon currency-based economics in favour of some philosophy of self-enhancement.
JAKE: Hey, watch it. There's nothing wrong with our philosophy. We work to better ourselves and the rest of humanity.
NOG: What does that mean exactly?
JAKE: It means. It means we don't need money.
NOG: Well if you don't need money, then you certainly don't need mine.
[Reply]
Barret 10:04 AM 02-26-2020
I think the issue with the folks saying that "This is dark" is well...it is darker. In The Original and TNG it was space hippies and was trying to show how Humanity was changed from what it was in the 70's - the 90's. It gave hope that there was a better future and humanity would mature and grow out of it's way of thinking. I think this was Gene Roddenberry that drove this concept.

When he passed you had others take up the helm and they weren't part of the 60's revolution and they know that viewers want to see something else.

Now could there be a great story using Gene's vision of hope? Sure and Original series and TNG had some really good ones. But they also had some REALLY bad ones.

Same can be said about the newer series of DS9, Voyager, Enterprise and Discovery.

I think you just have your old timers remembering the glory days of hope and can't wrap their heads around the dark and the Federation really being bad just like all other governments.
[Reply]
unlurking 11:10 AM 02-26-2020
IMO, they are all dark. TOS was just as bad. The only difference was it happened away from home. Basically TOS was just the "it's better to fight over there" mantra. The violence is fun and enjoyable because it's with people outside of our community (earth/federation).
[Reply]
Mennonite 12:19 PM 02-26-2020
Is the morality of In the Pale Moonlight any more ambiguous than TOS's A Private Little War or City on the Edge of Forever?

I do think you can make the Federation so unsympathetic that you find the protagonists hard too root for. Nothing wrong with having "good guys" long as they're three dimensional.
[Reply]
listopencil 02:12 AM 02-27-2020
Originally Posted by keg in kc:
Come on, now. Don't have to be nuts to have a different opinion. No need to be a dick.

To be clear; 'you're nuts' is about the mildest rebuke in my vocabulary. Take that as you will.
[Reply]
Page 18 of 70
« First < 81415161718 192021222868 > Last »
Up