ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 6 of 39
« First < 23456 7891016 > Last »
Media Center>Lord of the Rings - Rings of Power
htismaqe 09:17 AM 02-25-2022
Originally Posted by Otter:
Don't recall any references to sexual preference, being transgender, or any LGBTQ themes either.

Don't care about color of their skin. It's woke agenda pushing. Don't piggy back off the title if you're going to bastardize the lore.
Like you said though there's no references to gender or sexual identity. If Tolkien didn't explicitly define those things, including race, then there's nothing "anti-canon" about it.

Don't get me wrong - I would prefer not to see agendas blatantly pushed by Hollywood. I don't want it rammed down my throat.

But in this instance, it seems to be much to do about nothing. Tolkien didn't say all humans were white or that elves couldn't be gay. He simply didn't mention it, so the argument that it "destroys immersion" just doesn't fly.
[Reply]
MarkDavis'Haircut 11:47 PM 02-24-2022
Originally Posted by Otter:
They're doing a remake and many of us read the books and watched the original movies. Show some respect to the original if you're going to use the title.

I read both Wiseguy and watched Goodfellas. One of my favorite stories of all time.

How about if someone remade the story with Robert De Niro's character as a cross dresser, Joe Pesci's character as a flaming gay (ala Richard Simmons), Henry Hill as a transvestite, and Big Paulie as a crippled bi-sexual.

Respect the lore if you're going to use the title or don't piggyback off it.
Imagine the outrage if they casted a white actor as Black Panther.
[Reply]
ThaVirus 07:48 AM 02-25-2022
Originally Posted by Carr4MVP:
Imagine the outrage if they casted a white actor as Black Panther.
Is it really this hard for you to understand the difference?

Black Panther is the king of an interior African nation. The title has been passed down from son-to-son for the last thousand years. Being black is central to Black Panther's character.
[Reply]
MarkDavis'Haircut 09:02 AM 02-25-2022
Originally Posted by ThaVirus:
Is it really this hard for you to understand the difference?

Black Panther is the king of an interior African nation. The title has been passed down from son-to-son for the last thousand years. Being black is central to Black Panther's character.
And being white is essential to many characters that have been changed over the years.

I saw a Frozen show at WDW. Kristoff was black. A black guy in 1700s Norway. Doesn't make any sense unless you plagued by white guilt :-)
[Reply]
AdolfOliverBush 10:14 AM 02-23-2022
If the "diversity" of the cast bothers you, take comfort in knowing that the humans in LOTR are almost exclusively white. That means pretty much all minorities were exterminated before "Fellowship of the Ring". Get out your Jergens and enjoy!
[Reply]
staylor26 02:29 PM 02-23-2022
My problem with this isn’t that they have black elves or dwarves, it’s that it feels forced and inorganic.

For instance, The Batman has a black Catwoman and Commissioner Gordon, but watching the trailer and knowing Matt Reeves and those 2 actors, he didn’t cast them because they were black. They’re logical castings.

I feel the same way about Idris Elba being 007. That’s a great casting if it happens.

But when I heard the rumors that DC/WB wanted to make a “black Superman movie” with Michael B. Jordan, it sounded terrible before it even started.

If you’re going into it thinking “I want to have black dwarves and elves”, it’s likely more about your politics than coming from a place of trying to make something good. Race shouldn’t matter.

I get the sense that whoever is running this show did it purposely, which is always a red flag.

There’s natural diversity, and then there’s diversity for the sake of diversity.

It doesn’t bother me to the point that I can’t still enjoy the show, but it gives me concerns that the show won’t be good.

I’d love for them to prove me wrong.
[Reply]
ModSocks 04:21 PM 02-23-2022
Originally Posted by staylor26:

If you’re going into it thinking “I want to have black dwarves and elves”, it’s likely more about your politics than coming from a place of trying to make something good. Race shouldn’t matter.

I get the sense that whoever is running this show did it purposely, which is always a red flag.

There’s natural diversity, and then there’s diversity for the sake of diversity.

it gives me concerns that the show won’t be good.
I hear that.
[Reply]
mr. tegu 04:31 PM 02-23-2022
Honestly I would rather see an entire group of elves or dwarves or whatever made up of a different race as opposed to token ones here and there. That feels more natural just given how small geographically isolated populations work. I liked how Wakanda and Black Panther was in that regard.
[Reply]
ThaVirus 10:05 AM 02-25-2022
8 years ago pasty white Brit Christian Bale played Moses, an Egyptian Jew, in a $100m+ budget worldwide film release.

Carr4MVP: *crickets*

A black kid plays Kristoff in a play at Disney World in Orlando.

Carr4MVP: wOkE pAnDeRiNg, this is literally the worst thing ever!
[Reply]
MTG#10 10:11 AM 02-25-2022
8 years ago pasty white Brit Christian Bale played Moses, an Egyptian Jew, in a $100m+ budget worldwide film release.

Yeah, I agree with him on all the woke shit being out of control, but that is one strange example of trying to make a point about it.
[Reply]
MarkDavis'Haircut 02:08 PM 02-25-2022

I wasn't on the board eight years ago, dipstick. So you would have no idea what I did or didn't say.

I didn't even know that movie existed until now.

That being said, idiotic casting.

My apologies for wanting to keep characters consistent. Kristoff is white. I don't want to see a white Tiana either. But I would bet $100 dollars if Disney had a white Tiana, the SJWs would burn down the park. Double standards.
[Reply]
teedubya 10:22 AM 02-25-2022
How "woke" is this thing going to be?
[Reply]
Bowser 10:25 AM 02-25-2022
Welp, the very thought of Hollywood going full Hollywood and potentially injecting an overload of SJW bullshit into this story is going to ensure not only the fans tune in, but random internet warriors on both sides of the subject ready to flame away at the unwashed heathens on the other side. I'd say they're getting exactly what they wanted here.
[Reply]
The Franchise 10:43 AM 02-25-2022
Or…and hear me out….they picked the actors that they thought best fit the parts.

Shocking….I know.
[Reply]
Bowser 11:39 AM 02-25-2022
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
Or…and hear me out….they picked the actors that they thought best fit the parts.

Shocking….I know.
WHO KNEW TRANS ELVES WERE A THING IN MIDDLE EARTH

Just getting ahead of the curve, here.
[Reply]
Page 6 of 39
« First < 23456 7891016 > Last »
Up