ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 31 of 73
« First < 212728293031 3233343541 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Jon Gruden made an oopsie [and has resigned]
Sassy Squatch 03:30 PM 10-08-2021

NFL statement: “The email from Jon Gruden denigrating DeMaurice Smith is appalling, abhorrent and wholly contrary to the NFL’s values. We condemn the statement and regret any harm that its publication may inflict on Mr. Smith or anyone else.” https://t.co/b9IUku9saH

— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) October 8, 2021

[Reply]
Pogue 11:33 PM 10-11-2021
Originally Posted by Titty Meat:
I think alot of people want to make this about SJW cancel culture but the NFL has lost its ass with the CTE stuff, Collusion regarding Kapernick, etc. Gruden covers literally all of that in the emails that we know about and remember it sounds like theres alot more that hasnt came out. Plus you have an opening gay player on your team with a coach who made homophobic slurs. I'd imagine any future lawsuits would use these emails and it would sink the NFL. This isnt even mentioning what possible sponsors would do in the future if nothing happened to Gruden.

At the end of the day this is about $$$$$. The Raiders likely get to walk away from an expensive contract with a coach who was underperforming and the NFL makes itself look like the good guy while saving themselves hundreds of millions in lawsuits.
The nfl put themselves in a lose-lose situation. They didn’t save anything here. If Roger thinks he did Smith a solid, he is mistaken.
[Reply]
Titty Meat 11:40 PM 10-11-2021
Originally Posted by Pogue:
The nfl put themselves in a lose-lose situation. They didn’t save anything here. If Roger thinks he did Smith a solid, he is mistaken.
How can this effectively be used against the NFL when as soon as they were made aware of it Gruden departed? This appears much different than the CTE or Kapernick stuff where the NFL covered up stuff. Maybe more will come out that disproves my statement but with what we know...
[Reply]
listopencil 11:41 PM 10-11-2021
Originally Posted by Hog's Gone Fishin:
Yet you like the Broncos.
Baby, I was born this way.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 11:42 PM 10-11-2021
Originally Posted by Pogue:
Sure they did.

Well more accurately, a bunch of lawyers did.

The league can only get sued into the hinterlands so many times before they want no part of this shit and will GLADLY let Gruden hang for it. And after settling with Kaepernick to avoid public disclosure of exactly this sort of stuff, they had to take a front-line stance on the social justice stuff.

Well they can't very well do that and then have a head coach lobbing skunks into the elevator, now can they?

The best alternative they had was to scapegoat Gruden. Doesn't cost the shield shit and we know that's all they truly care about. There's no loyalty among that pack of jackals.

If they could barbecue Chuckie to save themselves some headache, they'll do it every time. The only question is really exactly what headache they've truly saved themselves? That's what I can't quite figure out. How does a public execution for something that had been swept under the rug to that point help them out?

That's why I'm thinking someone went off the reservation in leaking the emails. Once that happened, their response was all too predictable.
[Reply]
Titty Meat 11:43 PM 10-11-2021
Originally Posted by jdubya:
It still comes down to the "Thought Police". (cancel culture)

I don't think Gruden is a very good coach and should have been fired for his coaching/GM decisions. But emails expressing a bad opinion of Goodell and some not so PC comments is what is destroying us nowadays. I am nearly 60 and 95% of the time when I am texting or emailing somebody I believe is a close friend, I may have some rough and gallows humor not appropriate for everybody. I think with many of your own posts in here you can relate. :-) Gruden is a 500 coach but in my heart I believe he is a blue collar football junkie more than any of us who eats, breathes, sleeps football 24/7 and this just destroyed a man because he is being judged by 2021 standards for something done a dozen years ago very likely after midnight after a few beers because he is reputed to barely sleep. Our culture is getting ****ed because of this mentality.
This whole thing came about with workplace violations I'm no lawyer DJ would be better off chiming in here but you have a Bruce Allen making cheerleaders pose topeless and then sending the pics to Gruden. That alone is a huge violation. Then you have a trail of Gruden for years not just saying things like I disagree with gay marriage but using slurs. Would seem like an open and shut case once those emails were presented.
[Reply]
rabblerouser 11:43 PM 10-11-2021
Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla:
You seriously think THAT was why the emails were found/released?
Nah, it was pure coincidence that the news about Gruden hit the day before the vote.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 11:45 PM 10-11-2021
How can this effectively be used against the NFL when as soon as they were made aware of it Gruden departed? This appears much different than the CTE or Kapernick stuff where the NFL covered up stuff. Maybe more will come out that disproves my statement but with what we know...
Legally it can't (at least not in a vacuum; as you said, there may be more we don't know).

But from a PR perspective they just had one of their flagship young QBs put up a 400 yard passing game and finish off a hell of a comeback to win in OT. And Gruden's still the top story.

It ain't a good look.

But maybe it's just ripping the band-aid off. The public has a shockingly short attention span and in 2 weeks Gruden will be forgotten. Meanwhile, a drawn-out public dragging would last far longer.

But as I've said - absolutely NOTHING seems to be gained by leaking the initial emails. Best I can figure that was a rogue operator.
[Reply]
Eureka 11:50 PM 10-11-2021
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Honestly it's probably less about the record than it is the player personnel side. And a pretty established track record of Gruden having about a 3-4 year shelf life before he starts dividing his team into 'his guys' and his enemies.

Dude had final say on personnel matters and his tenure in that area has gone pretty damn poorly.

If the guy hadn't gacked roster management up as badly as he has over the last several years, the Raiders might have gone to bat for him (he's actually done a really nice job developing Carr and modernizing certain parts of that offense). But in the end he was entitled to final say on personnel matters and that was only going to become a bigger and bigger problem as he became more entrenched.
Mike Mayock looked unhappy when they drafted Leatherwood. It was said he had a trade with the Vikings in place but Gruden didn't want to lose the chance of getting Leatherwood. I think Mayock never really got to draft his guys. Maybe, in later rounds but not with the top picks they had over the past few years.

Gruden does not have a good drafting tracking record during his tenure as a coach of any team.
[Reply]
tk13 11:55 PM 10-11-2021

But as I've said - absolutely NOTHING seems to be gained by leaking the initial emails. Best I can figure that was a rogue operator.
I don't think it's that hard to figure. Go send some nasty emails about the person running your organization and watch what happens when they find out. Schefter pretty much said they were going to keep leaking emails until they drove him out.
[Reply]
Titty Meat 11:59 PM 10-11-2021
Legally it can't (at least not in a vacuum; as you said, there may be more we don't know).

But from a PR perspective they just had one of their flagship young QBs put up a 400 yard passing game and finish off a hell of a comeback to win in OT. And Gruden's still the top story.

It ain't a good look.

But maybe it's just ripping the band-aid off. The public has a shockingly short attention span and in 2 weeks Gruden will be forgotten. Meanwhile, a drawn-out public dragging would last far longer.

We'll see but I think you're right in 2 weeks there will be new stories. No way there isnt more out there about Meyer right? Not sure how big the St.Louis vs The NFL will be but that appears to be all bad for the NFL. You also still have the Watson thing out there. That all seems far from settled. Oh well the NFL has it's own printing press and the Chiefs super bowl hangover is like a page 5 story so.
[Reply]
NEOM 12:26 AM 10-12-2021
Gruden knew he was toast as soon as the first emails leaked. There were more coming and only a matter of time before his resignation. Again, nothing to do with cancel culture or woke police, when you act stupid, when you dont care about what you are saying in our current environment, you have to live with the consequences.
[Reply]
T-post Tom 12:39 AM 10-12-2021
Chuckie and Paula Deen are going to have a new cooking show on the HGTV network this fall: “Wokeness: It’s What’s for Dinner!”
[Reply]
Bump 12:42 AM 10-12-2021
Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501:
It's amazing that got swept under the rug. It was bordering on whoring them out without their permission. I guess the lesson with Watson and Snyder is to do something so embarrassing that the league hushes it to make it go away.

It'd be one thing if Snyder was good at his job. The city hates him and he's still bulletproof.
there's a difference between someone who writes the checks and someone who cashes a check.
[Reply]
BlackOp 12:44 AM 10-12-2021
Originally Posted by listopencil:
Baby, I was born this way.
I've heard in Asian culture...if their babies are born retarded, they drown them.

The internet told me..so it's 100% fact.
[Reply]
NEOM 01:07 AM 10-12-2021
This whole thing came about with workplace violations I'm no lawyer DJ would be better off chiming in here but you have a Bruce Allen making cheerleaders pose topeless and then sending the pics to Gruden. That alone is a huge violation. Then you have a trail of Gruden for years not just saying things like I disagree with gay marriage but using slurs. Would seem like an open and shut case once those emails were presented.
I assume that the NFL representatives and investigators indicated to Raiders/Mark Davis that there are even more critical and problematic emails written by Gruden. Those will highly be leaked as well, as long as Gruden stays. E-Mails that might even have insults towards Mark Davis and other colleagues within the Raiders organisation. My view is that this was the critical point, where Mark Davis realized, Gruden needs to go. He cannot afford being insulted and embarrassed by his HC, behind his back for years, a HC he appointed some years ago.
[Reply]
Page 31 of 73
« First < 212728293031 3233343541 > Last »
Up