ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 64 of 71
« First < 14546061626364 65666768 > Last »
Media Center>MCU Meta Discussion
DaFace 05:54 PM 07-16-2019
The various movies obviously deserve their own threads once things actually start moving on them, but it seems like we should have a place just for general discussion about what they're planning. So here ya go.
[Reply]
Mr. Plow 11:24 AM 12-01-2023
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
Jeeezzz all these DC/political posts in here. WTF?
Which ones are bugging you?
[Reply]
Fish 11:53 AM 12-01-2023
Originally Posted by tredadda:
Never saw Morbius, but didn’t that movie suck and flop as well?
Yeah it was absolutely awful. I was really hoping Morbius would kick off a line of Marvel horror stuff. But it was a turd.
[Reply]
Bowser 12:40 PM 12-01-2023
Originally Posted by Fish:
Yeah it was absolutely awful. I was really hoping Morbius would kick off a line of Marvel horror stuff. But it was a turd.
Glad I never pulled the trigger on it. JMO, but I feel there IS an avenue in the MCU for the horror stuff. Midnight Sons would be a massive hit if they'd just do it correctly (which is apparently asking a ton these days, but still).

Jared Leto should just stay away from comic book movies. His batting average is well below the Mendoza line in such projects.
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 02:13 PM 12-01-2023
Originally Posted by Fish:
Originally Posted by Bowser:
Glad I never pulled the trigger on it. JMO, but I feel there IS an avenue in the MCU for the horror stuff. Midnight Sons would be a massive hit if they'd just do it correctly (which is apparently asking a ton these days, but still).

Jared Leto should just stay away from comic book movies. His batting average is well below the Mendoza line in such projects.
Leto was a big part of the problem with the movie. Of course the entire movie is so awful, picking one part of the turd out from another isn't easy.
[Reply]
Tribal Warfare 08:02 PM 12-04-2023

EXCLUSIVE: The Spider-Man Noir live-action series in the works at Amazon has brought on Steve Lightfoot ("The Punisher") as co-showrunner alongside writer Oren Uziel.

The untitled series follows an older, grizzled superhero in 1930s New York City. https://t.co/U74GmmhECo

— Variety (@Variety) December 4, 2023

[Reply]
BigBeauford 09:43 PM 12-04-2023
Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare:
Just cast Nicholas Cage.
[Reply]
Aries Walker 03:01 PM 12-06-2023
Morbius was indescribably bad. Every decision they made on that film was the wrong one.

I have no confidence in Kraven, either. If nothing else, they tragically miscast him, and stripped away his Russian accent for Taylor-Johnson's high-pitched, boyish squeak. I guess they did that because Quicksilver had an Eastern European accent, but whatever. I'll be happy if I just get a satisfying Rhino.

The jury's out about Madame Web. I'm skeptical about how strong a character she is, but the movie's introducing like a half dozen Spider-Man auxiliaries, so maybe one of them will stick. Why would they hire the Morbius writers a second time?

The Marvels tanked because it's been five years, it required homework, and it was under-marketed in part because of the strike. It screams "Wait for Disney Plus," so I think its numbers will climb then. Flower Moon and Napoleon also tanked hard, making me think that people just don't want to go out for movies as much any more, and/or the "Weekend Box Office Estimate" system isn't as accurate any more.

I haven't watched Season 2 of Loki yet, but I didn't much care for Season 1. I just watched Gen V, which was good but not quite up to The Boys standards. The next thing I'm really looking forward to is Echo next January.
[Reply]
Nirvana58 04:50 PM 12-06-2023
Originally Posted by Aries Walker:
Morbius was indescribably bad. Every decision they made on that film was the wrong one.

I have no confidence in Kraven, either. If nothing else, they tragically miscast him, and stripped away his Russian accent for Taylor-Johnson's high-pitched, boyish squeak. I guess they did that because Quicksilver had an Eastern European accent, but whatever. I'll be happy if I just get a satisfying Rhino.

The jury's out about Madame Web. I'm skeptical about how strong a character she is, but the movie's introducing like a half dozen Spider-Man auxiliaries, so maybe one of them will stick. Why would they hire the Morbius writers a second time?

The Marvels tanked because it's been five years, it required homework, and it was under-marketed in part because of the strike. It screams "Wait for Disney Plus," so I think its numbers will climb then. Flower Moon and Napoleon also tanked hard, making me think that people just don't want to go out for movies as much any more, and/or the "Weekend Box Office Estimate" system isn't as accurate any more.

I haven't watched Season 2 of Loki yet, but I didn't much care for Season 1. I just watched Gen V, which was good but not quite up to The Boys standards. The next thing I'm really looking forward to is Echo next January.
The Marvels tanked because phase 4 has mostly been a flop and the first movie was a shit movie.

The only reason that movie made so much money was because they purposely released it right before End Game.
[Reply]
Aries Walker 12:00 AM 12-07-2023
Originally Posted by Nirvana58:
The Marvels tanked because phase 4 has mostly been a flop and the first movie was a shit movie.

The only reason that movie made so much money was because they purposely released it right before End Game.
You're not the only one who thinks that.

I thought it was all right, middle of the pack as Marvel films go. I found it hard to identify with the a flying space cop from a planet of blue-skinned aliens and who literally couldn't be hurt. Even Thor had his moments of humility, getting KO'ed by a taser or failing to pick up the hammer, but she didn't seem to have that.

Which isn't a huge surprise, since the original comics back in the 60s had the same problem. He was super boring too, and they tried revamping him a few times to get people to buy it, before eventually just cancelling his title.
[Reply]
Jamie 02:44 AM 12-07-2023
Originally Posted by Aries Walker:
You're not the only one who thinks that.
Which isn't a huge surprise, since the original comics back in the 60s had the same problem. He was super boring too, and they tried revamping him a few times to get people to buy it, before eventually just cancelling his title.
Yeah, the most interesting thing the original Captain Marvel ever did was die.

You know, the one consistent thing with Captain Marvel is that it's always been more of a contrived idea than a creative one. The original Captain Marvel was created essentially to steal the copyright on the name, then they stuck it on Carol Danvers because they wanted an answer to Wonder Woman.
[Reply]
Direckshun 09:38 AM 12-07-2023
Originally Posted by WhawhaWhat:
Just saw The Marvels and it wasn't a bad movie, although not great either. It's just there.
Kind of how I felt too.

There are three or four times in the movie that I felt had a lot of promise, or were legitimately very good.

But there are three or four other times in the movie where, my goodness, the director/writer just forgot how people talk to each other or react to things.

Kamala Khan is easily the biggest selling point here, Iman Vellani is really good in the role. Nick Fury as a character has completely changed for the worse, though. He used to be a badass spy king, now he's basically everybody's uncle.

I can't put together why Brie Larson just hasn't delivered as Captain Marvel. She's an outstanding actress, but I think she's just too hip for the room. There are times throughout this movie where she's literally jumping rope and she just looks uncomfortable, like she feels shame she's doing something this silly.

That's where Gal Godot, for instance, really crushed it. Godot just leaned way in on all the shamelessness and cheesy joy of Wonder Woman and completely became that character.

Larson seems to always have a leg out the door. That's the best way I can describe it.
[Reply]
GloucesterChief 10:26 AM 12-07-2023
Originally Posted by Direckshun:
Kind of how I felt too.

There are three or four times in the movie that I felt had a lot of promise, or were legitimately very good.

But there are three or four other times in the movie where, my goodness, the director/writer just forgot how people talk to each other or react to things.

Kamala Khan is easily the biggest selling point here, Iman Vellani is really good in the role. Nick Fury as a character has completely changed for the worse, though. He used to be a badass spy king, now he's basically everybody's uncle.

I can't put together why Brie Larson just hasn't delivered as Captain Marvel. She's an outstanding actress, but I think she's just too hip for the room. There are times throughout this movie where she's literally jumping rope and she just looks uncomfortable, like she feels shame she's doing something this silly.

That's where Gal Godot, for instance, really crushed it. Godot just leaned way in on all the shamelessness and cheesy joy of Wonder Woman and completely became that character.

Larson seems to always have a leg out the door. That's the best way I can describe it.
British actors seem to enjoy doing the hammy stuff more than American actors for some reason. They asked Anthony Hopkins why he decided to do the hammy schlocky roles instead of the serious ones nowadays and he replied he did the serious roles so he could have fun and play the hammy schlocky roles later.
[Reply]
BleedingRed 10:19 PM 12-07-2023
GOTG3 was only good phase 4 so far imho
[Reply]
BigBeauford 07:59 AM 12-08-2023
Originally Posted by BleedingRed:
That and Spiderman. Shang Chi was okay but I remember nothing about it.
[Reply]
Aries Walker 09:28 AM 12-08-2023
Originally Posted by BleedingRed:
GotG 3 is actually in Phase Five, which is where they are now. Granted, without the Avengers tentpoles it sometimes gets hard to tell.

I thought Shang-Chi and Spider-Man No Way Home were amazing, and several of the TV shows were really good. They're laying bombs now, like Thor Love and Thunder and Secret Invasion, which they didn't use to do.

One of their guys recently said they're going to try to slow down and concentrate on making good movies rather than churning out as many as they can. I think that's a good idea.
[Reply]
Page 64 of 71
« First < 14546061626364 65666768 > Last »
Up