ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Media Center>Christopher Nolan's next film
sully1983 04:00 PM 09-10-2021
Christopher Nolan is readying his next film, and Deadline hears that like Dunkirk it will focus on a seminal moment in World War II. This one is J. Robert Oppenheimer’s role in the development of the atom bomb during WWII. Here is a bombshell development: While none of Nolan’s recent movies had gone outside Warner Bros, I’m hearing that several of the major studios across town are reading the screenplay and speaking with Nolan and his reps.

This might be residue from the umbrage Nolan took when WarnerMedia declared its intention to go day-and-date with its entire 2021 movie slate, without forewarning talent, their reps or even the studio’s financing partners in the films. Nolan, among the superstar directors who are the most vociferous supporters of a good old fashioned theatrical release, was outspoken in his ire on WarnerMedia’s move. It wasn’t immediately clear whether Warner Bros is among the studios in the mix on this, but clearly it has lost pole position.

https://deadline.com/2021/09/christo...ii-1234829960/

I honestly wanted Nolan to go back to making smaller more intimate films (like Memento or the very underrated Insomnia for example) but holy crap this sounds fucking incredible! :-)
[Reply]
BigBeauford 05:05 PM 09-10-2021
After his last 2 outputs, I really hope he can regain his footing. I thought Dunkirk was a sterile and loud borefest, while I just hated Tenet.
[Reply]
Buehler445 05:20 PM 09-10-2021
The Oppenheimer story is a good one. Several history podcasts have addressed it and I listened to the General and the Genius which was a damn good book.
[Reply]
Cheater5 05:45 PM 09-10-2021
Donger is weeping tears of joy.
[Reply]
BWillie 07:49 AM 09-12-2021
Originally Posted by sully1983:
Christopher Nolan is readying his next film, and Deadline hears that like Dunkirk it will focus on a seminal moment in World War II. This one is J. Robert Oppenheimer’s role in the development of the atom bomb during WWII. Here is a bombshell development: While none of Nolan’s recent movies had gone outside Warner Bros, I’m hearing that several of the major studios across town are reading the screenplay and speaking with Nolan and his reps.

This might be residue from the umbrage Nolan took when WarnerMedia declared its intention to go day-and-date with its entire 2021 movie slate, without forewarning talent, their reps or even the studio’s financing partners in the films. Nolan, among the superstar directors who are the most vociferous supporters of a good old fashioned theatrical release, was outspoken in his ire on WarnerMedia’s move. It wasn’t immediately clear whether Warner Bros is among the studios in the mix on this, but clearly it has lost pole position.

https://deadline.com/2021/09/christo...ii-1234829960/

I honestly wanted Nolan to go back to making smaller more intimate films (like Memento or the very underrated Insomnia for example) but holy crap this sounds ****ing incredible! :-)
Blah. I want more Nolan sci fi
[Reply]
Frazod 10:22 AM 09-12-2021
Let me guess:

Part 1: Oppenheimer and his team are nearing completion of the bomb.

Part 2: Oppenheimer reflects on the bomb after it is dropped.

Part 3: The bomb is dropped.

Part 4: Oppenheimer assembles his team to build the bomb.

Yeah, that sounds like a Nolan movie.

:-)
[Reply]
Miles 01:04 PM 09-13-2021
Hopefully this one one need the subtitles turned on due to the muddled sound on the dialog.
[Reply]
sully1983 02:12 PM 09-13-2021
Originally Posted by Miles:
Hopefully this one one need the subtitles turned on due to the muddled sound on the dialog.
Ha there is some truth to that. Tenet was hands down the loudest film I've ever seen in theaters.
[Reply]
Ming the Merciless 05:13 PM 09-16-2021
Originally Posted by BigBeauford:
After his last 2 outputs, I really hope he can regain his footing. I thought Dunkirk was a sterile and loud borefest, while I just hated Tenet.
I really liked tenet but I agree with you about Dunkirk being sterile. I mean it was like a 7 from Hollywood but I expect 9 & 10s from Nolan
[Reply]
BWillie 07:00 PM 09-18-2021
Originally Posted by Pawnmower:
I really liked tenet but I agree with you about Dunkirk being sterile. I mean it was like a 7 from Hollywood but I expect 9 & 10s from Nolan
Im a nolan fanboy but tenet was subpar. 6 out of 10. By far his worst movie. Dunkirk was better and that may be his 3rd worst film. He needs to hit on the next one to avoid being an m night shamalamama career let down
[Reply]
sully1983 11:06 PM 09-18-2021
Originally Posted by BWillie:
Im a nolan fanboy but tenet was subpar. 6 out of 10. By far his worst movie. Dunkirk was better and that may be his 3rd worst film. He needs to hit on the next one to avoid being an m night shamalamama career let down
lol I assure you that Nolan will never come close to making something as bad as The Happening or Lady in the Water or The Last Airbender.
[Reply]
Ming the Merciless 09:19 AM 09-20-2021
Originally Posted by BWillie:

tenant was only sub par compared to other Nolan movies.

If you compare tenant with most movies its much better in every way. I would never give tenet a 6.

My favorite Nolan movie by far is memento. Then its maybe between Following and Prestiege. There's no way Dunkirk
was better than Tenet except maybe cinematography. Everything else was better about Tenet - the idea, the story,
the characters, the writing.... etc... The only way anyone can think Dunkirk is better than Tenet is if their favorite
Nolan movie is a Batman movie. Tenet is on par with inception...which I thought was clearly Inferior to the 3 I mentioned but still way better than Dunkirk.
[Reply]
BigBeauford 09:51 AM 09-20-2021
Originally Posted by Pawnmower:
tenant was only sub par compared to other Nolan movies.

If you compare tenant with most movies its much better in every way. I would never give tenet a 6.

My favorite Nolan movie by far is memento. Then its maybe between Following and Prestiege. There's no way Dunkirk
was better than Tenet except maybe cinematography. Everything else was better about Tenet - the idea, the story,
the characters, the writing.... etc... The only way anyone can think Dunkirk is better than Tenet is if their favorite
Nolan movie is a Batman movie. Tenet is on par with inception...which I thought was clearly Inferior to the 3 I mentioned but still way better than Dunkirk.
This is his most timeless movie. Could be in my top 10. My hope for Oppenheimer is we get a more intimate and character driven film from Nolan like Memento. But he will definitely need another Guy Pierce-esque performance (fuck it, you'd get 0 complaints from me if he just went ahead and cast Pierce as Oppenheimer).

I will agree to disagree on Tenet: I thought it was awful and probably the most annoying movie I have seen in theaters since "The Heat". Were it not for the fact that movie going has been so rare for me during the pandemic, I'd have walked out.
[Reply]
Ming the Merciless 10:06 AM 09-20-2021
Were it not for the fact that movie going has been so rare for me during the pandemic, I'd have walked out.

Wow. Maybe I was in a good mood that day. I agree with you about memento. Maybe I should watch Tenet again and try
to find flaws with it. I didn't watch it on the big screen, admittedly. I watched it at home so maybe I was more lenient on it.
I dunno. Its funny how that works. I keep a list of my ratings on IMDB and once in a while I re-watch a movie and have a

completely different take on it than the 1st time.

My flaw with movie critique is that I really like the ideas behind movies , even if they aren't pulled off that well.

Maybe I just liked the idea behind Tenent and I gave it a pass.

A good example of this is Interstellar. I'd give that movie like an 8 because I really like the message and the idea...but there
are parts of the movie that might be flawed enough to only give a 7 but the message and idea bumps it up a notch for me.

Like Equilibrium. I love that movie because of the ideas even though its basically a lowish budget B movie.
[Reply]
Ming the Merciless 10:07 AM 09-20-2021
Could be in my top 10.

Its absolutely in my top 10. I give it a 10/10. Its probably in my top 3 and I walked out of that movie thinking it was the best movie I have ever seen.
Sometimes when I try to make my top 10 list it is still in my #1 slot.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up