ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 4
< 123 4 >
Media Center>Purchased my new rig!
Mephistopheles Janx 06:53 PM 06-12-2021
First pre-built system I've purchased since I saved up my allowance to buy a used "Intel Compatible" 286 WAY back in the day as a kid.

CPU: Intel Corer i5-11600KF
RAM: 16GB DDR4/3200
MOTHERBOARD: MSI Z590 PRO WiFi
GPU: RTX 3070
HD: 1TB GIGABYTE AORUS NVMe M.2 SSD - Seq R/W: Up to 5000/4400 MB/s
CASE: Lian Li PC-008
PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 Series 750W 80 PLUS GOLD
AIO: Cooler Master MasterLiquid Lite 360mm ARGB CPU Liquid Cooler with Dual Chamber Pump & Copper Cold Plate

CyberPower has an additional 5% off with SUMMIT as the coupon code.

Priced individually (including case fans, legit Win 10, and such) The system would have cost me $1700 to purchase the individual parts, plus tax and/or shipping... not including the time to put it all together and load up the OS.

$1650 shipped plus a "free" $50 gift card... but I won't see it until mid August.
[Reply]
Fish 09:31 PM 08-24-2021
Originally Posted by Pants:
Congrats! That's probably the best bang for the buck you can get right now. What a great fucking card. How much did MC want for it if you don't mind me asking?

P.S. I'm finishing my LOOOONG journey through RDR2 right now. IDK why I waited so long to play it. It's such a gorgeous game on PC and is just a masterpiece in every aspect.
$949

I was hoping to keep my purchase around the $750-800 range. But this was the exact model I'd been wanting. I've had several Asus OC video cards, and they've been great for me. This one checked all the boxes for me.

The performance is actually really impressive. Had some time this evening to play some games, and WOW! The lighting and shadows are just spellbinding. Played a bunch of Doom tonight, and couldn't believe the difference it made in my gameplay. The cooling is actually really impressive. Surprised how much it taxes my CPU when playing though. CPU temps are considerably higher than with my previous card.

Red Dead looks so incredible! The swamp at dusk is just such a completely different environment. Lots of wow moments. What a difference..

Took me over an hour to get the damn thing working though. Which had me freaking out. It requires 2 8-pin power connectors. Which my PSU had. But when I installed it and booted it up, all the computer lights came on including the ones on the card, but I got no video output on either monitor even though the machine booted to Windows. Took it apart and reseated multiple times. Finally tore down the case and followed the GPU power cords to the PSU, and found one of the 8-pin connectors was loose at the PSU. Reseated, and it booted right up. Was convinced I had a dud for a bit though....
[Reply]
Pants 09:37 PM 08-24-2021
Originally Posted by Fish:
$949

I was hoping to keep my purchase around the $750-800 range. But this was the exact model I'd been wanting. I've had several Asus OC video cards, and they've been great for me. This one checked all the boxes for me.

The performance is actually really impressive. Had some time this evening to play some games, and WOW! The lighting and shadows are just spellbinding. Played a bunch of Doom tonight, and couldn't believe the difference it made in my gameplay. The cooling is actually really impressive. Surprised how much it taxes my CPU when playing though. CPU temps are considerably higher than with my previous card.

Red Dead looks so incredible! The swamp at dusk is just such a completely different environment. Lots of wow moments. What a difference..

Took me over an hour to get the damn thing working though. Which had me freaking out. It requires 2 8-pin power connectors. Which my PSU had. But when I installed it and booted it up, all the computer lights came on including the ones on the card, but I got no video output on either monitor even though the machine booted to Windows. Took it apart and reseated multiple times. Finally tore down the case and followed the power cords to the PSU, and found one of the 8-pin connectors was loose at the PSU. Reseated, and it booted right up. Was convinced I had a dud for a bit though....
LOL.

That must have been harrowing.

And yeah, Saint Denis at night is also quite the experience with RT enabled. I'm playing with a meager 2080 and that is the one place and time in the game where I have a very noticeable drop in my frame rate.

The amount of detail in that game is astounding. Make sure you look at your horse when you're riding it. You can literally see the muscle striations and veins popping. You can also see steam coming off your horse when you're in the snowy areas.

The lighting in that game with RT is out of fucking control.

The best RT implementation I have seen so far, though, was in Cyberpunk 2077. I had to turn it off to get a stable 70 FPS but would turn it on once in a while just to marvel at the graphics.
[Reply]
Fish 11:45 PM 08-27-2021
Originally Posted by Mephistopheles Janx:
Haven't played that yet. My brother suggested it for me but I got involved with Titanfall 2 instead. Have you played it?
Per your recommendation here, I downloaded Titanfall 2. Pretty fun game. Liked the idea, and the mech stuff was really fun. But I was pretty surprised how short the game was. I blasted through it in like 3 days. The ending was abrupt. Really cool though.
[Reply]
Fish 11:59 PM 08-27-2021
Holy shit, this card eats up CPU power a lot more than I expected though. It's been like 100+ outside, and the computer room isn't very cool in the house. But I topped 90° CPU temp at a couple points while gaming. Even though the GPU temp never got above 75°. Had to back the CPU overclock down to 4.8Ghz so I don't burn anything up. Probably turn it back up to 5Ghz after this swamp ass weather is over. But these 30 series cards can sure require some power. CPU temp drops 25°+ within seconds after gameplay. Crazy.
[Reply]
Demonpenz 12:24 AM 08-28-2021
nice find. Computer hobby KC is a good group on facebook and also i have been pimping this guy out of st joseph that I got 3 computers from.
[Reply]
Frazod 10:50 PM 09-10-2021
Got a new 2TB SSD for my computer; my current 1TB drive is nearly full and that's starting to cause some performance issues.

I'm amazed at how small it is; barely bigger than a stick of gum.

[Reply]
Fish 11:30 PM 09-10-2021
That 980 Pro is one of the fastest devices available over the past year or so. You will definitely notice a difference there....
[Reply]
vailpass 09:09 AM 09-11-2021
Originally Posted by Frazod:
Got a new 2TB SSD for my computer; my current 1TB drive is nearly full and that's starting to cause some performance issues.

I'm amazed at how small it is; barely bigger than a stick of gum.

Excellent piece of hardware. Whatever you do don’t drop the screw. Those little bastards are hard to find!
[Reply]
meleknistra 12:03 PM 09-11-2021
Awesome purchase. Congrats! I finally bought a GPS tracking device for my car and straight had a little trouble with it. Lucky me, spytec com phone number was in my phone book and they solved the issue in a minute or so.
[Reply]
Fish 01:50 AM 09-12-2021
So, I finally upgraded to an actual quality mouse, after years of buying cheaper wired gaming mice. I got the Logitech G502 Wireless. Really considered the G Pro which is quite a bit lighter. But I'm much more used to the shape of the G502, and it's still only 114g with a 25K HERO sensor. Rechargeable battery lasting at least a week with 8hr/day use. Gotta say, I previously though spending over $50 was completely crazy for a mouse. But this thing is absolutely worth it. More than enough available reprogrammable buttons. Under 1ms response time. Actually surprised how much it has improved my FPS gameplay. The Logitech G Pro is much more popular because it's actually 84g compared to this one at 114g. But I really like this size and shape, and it's much better if you like a few more buttons on the mouse. Best mouse I've every had. The infinite scrolling switch is actually a really cool feature that I didn't expect...

https://www.rtings.com/mouse/reviews...502-lightspeed
[Reply]
Frazod 09:36 AM 09-12-2021
Originally Posted by vailpass:
Excellent piece of hardware. Whatever you do don’t drop the screw. Those little bastards are hard to find!
Installed it yesterday, although it ended up being a pain in the ass and I had to call in my IT buddy for help. Initially the computer wouldn't recognize it and I couldn't figure out why. Turned out the bios on my ASUS motherboard needed to be updated. Both updating and tweaking the bios settings are far more difficult than they should be, but through a lot of trial and error my friend finally figured it out.

Everything is working fine now, though.
[Reply]
Otter 10:41 AM 09-12-2021
Originally Posted by Frazod:
Installed it yesterday, although it ended up being a pain in the ass and I had to call in my IT buddy for help. Initially the computer wouldn't recognize it and I couldn't figure out why. Turned out the bios on my ASUS motherboard needed to be updated. Both updating and tweaking the bios settings are far more difficult than they should be, but through a lot of trial and error my friend finally figured it out.

Everything is working fine now, though.

What's the speed upgrade?
[Reply]
crayzkirk 10:51 AM 09-12-2021
I've always built my own computers however the price of video cards being what it is, I'm contemplating buying a pre-built one from MicroCenter for $1500. The only issue is that I don't need Win10 and I have a couple of Polaris based video cards (480 4gb, 580 8gb) that I would like to re-use. Or can I just dump the 480 and get a 5600G system to replace it and build my own 5600X system with the 580 with plans to upgrade the video card once prices become reasonable?
[Reply]
Fish 10:52 AM 09-12-2021
Originally Posted by Otter:
What's the speed upgrade?
Fucking nuts...

[Reply]
Otter 10:53 AM 09-12-2021
Originally Posted by Fish:
Fucking nuts...

You guys are making me spend more money on toys.

I'm in.
[Reply]
Page 3 of 4
< 123 4 >
Up