ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2101 of 2687
« First < 1101160120012051209120972098209921002101 21022103210421052111215122012601 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>*****The Patrick Mahomes Thread*****
Dante84 07:19 PM 04-27-2017
IT ****ING HAPPENED

OP UPDATE:

Because of all the interest in this thread, I've place all of the video content of Patrick Mahomes II's college career, and draft day goodness into a single post that can be found here. Enjoy!
[Reply]
Halfcan 01:11 PM 10-10-2021
Originally Posted by suzzer99:
:-) Yep, who would want an MVP and SB MVP? JJ should retire for good. His football takes are shit.
[Reply]
Rain Man 01:21 PM 10-10-2021
Originally Posted by KChiefs1:
The Athletic:

13. Mahomes didn’t say much in Kansas City’s quarterback meetings as a rookie. He was Alex Smith’s understudy and he knew it, so he generally spoke when spoken to.

Coaches put plays up on the screen, hit pause and asked the quarterbacks what decision they’d make in that situation: “Who would you go to here? Would you hit the over or the under here?”

The “over” might be an 18-yard throw, the “under” around 4 yards. Mahomes wasn’t looking at either.

“Shit,” he’d say, “I’d throw the post.”

“I’d look at him like, ‘****ing what?'” assistant head coach Brad Childress said, laughing. Childress would study the screen again: Sure enough, there was a quarter safety standing flat-footed with a receiver about to blow past him — if the QB had enough arm to chuck it 65 yards and enough guts to try it, that is.

Eventually, Childress would change his response. “Yeah,” he’d say. “Good idea.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That is my favorite story of all time. It should be tattooed on the arms of every child born in America from now on, so they can be constantly inspired to greatness.
[Reply]
Hayneplane 01:51 PM 10-10-2021
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
That is my favorite story of all time. It should be tattooed on the arms of every child born in America from now on, so they can be constantly inspired to greatness.
Dare to dream, dare to believe but best of all have the skills to carry it off.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 07:11 AM 10-11-2021
Mahomes is back to old bad habits.

He abandoned the pocket way too quickly again last night.

Aside that, his accuracy was absolutely terrible.

This was one of the worst Mahomes games I can remember in some time.

Patrick needs to go back to the tape from the 2nd half of 2019. That was when he was at his best. He stayed in the pocket consistently at the end of that year due to his knee, and he absolutely shredded teams up in the short and intermediate.

Patrick got his wings clipped last night. Back to the drawing board. He is behind Allen and Hebert in the AFC for now.
[Reply]
louie aguiar 07:18 AM 10-11-2021
He didn’t play with the same confidence that we’re accustomed to. He looked rattled.
[Reply]
MGRS13 07:21 AM 10-11-2021
Originally Posted by louie aguiar:
He didn’t play with the same confidence that we’re accustomed to. He looked rattled.
Well he didn’t play great. But he also has to be concerned that he’s surrounded by guys that can’t catch, tip a ball to the secondary, or if they do manage to catch it drop it on the ground afterwards.
[Reply]
comochiefsfan 07:24 AM 10-11-2021
He looked like a completely different player.

That was the first time I can remember watching him and having absolutely zero confidence in him being able to drive us down the field and score.

Allen outplayed him severely.

It's bad. The line is better for the most part, but he still has trust issues it seems and is unwilling to stay in the pocket. Aside from that. No one is open downfield hardly at all. The Bills blanketed our receivers last night. Which led to a plethora of checkdowns.

Last night Patrick Mahomes played for the Buffalo Bills. And Alex Smith came out of retirement for one last ride with the Chiefs.

Andy better figure something out and figure it out in a hurry.
[Reply]
DRM08 07:31 AM 10-11-2021
Originally Posted by comochiefsfan:
He looked like a completely different player.

That was the first time I can remember watching him and having absolutely zero confidence in him being able to drive us down the field and score.

Allen outplayed him severely.

It's bad. The line is better for the most part, but he still has trust issues it seems and is unwilling to stay in the pocket. Aside from that. No one is open downfield hardly at all. The Bills blanketed our receivers last night. Which led to a plethora of checkdowns.

Last night Patrick Mahomes played for the Buffalo Bills. And Alex Smith came out of retirement for one last ride with the Chiefs.

Andy better figure something out and figure it out in a hurry.
I don’t see them figuring it out this season. The roster is extremely flawed. Need to have way more success in the Draft and other off-season decisions moving forward. It’s not something that can be fixed in a single off-season either.
[Reply]
comochiefsfan 07:32 AM 10-11-2021
Originally Posted by DRM08:
I don’t see them figuring it out this season. The roster is extremely flawed. Need to have way more success in the Draft and other off-season decisions moving forward. It’s not something that can be fixed in a single off-season either.
Good thing Veach has a good track record of drafting well and making good free agent signings.
[Reply]
DRM08 07:36 AM 10-11-2021
Originally Posted by comochiefsfan:
Good thing Veach has a good track record of drafting well and making good free agent signings.
Yeah, I don’t have any confidence that they can fix the defense. It seems like KC is cursed on that side of the ball. With how bad that side of the ball is, you start to wonder if those big money contracts (5 defensive guys at $70M) should just be spent on offense (WR/RB and maybe OT).
[Reply]
ThaVirus 08:06 AM 10-11-2021
A lot of the issues we had last night weren't on him, but he looked like shit last night.

There's simply no way that teams are able to play 2 safeties 20 yards off the LoS, prevent any big plays downfield, stop the run, create pressure with 3 or 4 down linemen, and put clamps on the short/intermediate stuff. The way Pat played last night you'd think they were lining up 18 guys on defense.

I'm hoping last night was just a bad night. It's concerning that we've seen two of these types of nights already this year (the Super Bowl in February), but we've got 12 more games to right the ship.
[Reply]
ThaVirus 08:08 AM 10-11-2021
And more broadly, I used to worry that we'd waste Mahomes' career ala Aaron Rodgers and the Pack, but at this rate we're heading more toward the Drew Brees' Saints path.

At least the Packers fielded enough of a team to consistently get back to the NFCCG. Those Brees led Saints teams struggled to make it to the playoffs. And if we don't get this shit fixed soon, that'll be us in a hurry.
[Reply]
KChiefs1 11:47 AM 10-12-2021
Patrick Mahomes' fiancee Brittany Matthews was not happy with the officials during the Kansas City Chiefs game on Sunday and also took aim at fans who criticized her. During the Chiefs game against the Buffalo Bills, Matthews shared her thoughts on the game via Twitter and was not happy with the officiating. At one point during the game, Matthews wrote, "Refs are never in our favor." The 26-year-old sent a follow-up tweet that read, "Ever." Matthews doubled down with another tweet that said, "I said what I said. Y'all so mad."

One Cheifs fan sent a message to Matthews on Twitter, writing, "Girl. I need you to stop. This was my team long before Patrick was here. It's not giving the org a good look. Chiefs are bigger than you, me or any one player." And that's when Matthews sent a message of her own to the fan.

"In the nicest way possible…Shut up," Matthews tweeted. The Chiefs ended up losing to the Bills 38-20 and have now lost three games this year. Ever since Mahomes took over as the starting quarterback in 2018, the Chiefs have not lost more than four games in a regular season. After the game, Mahomes spoke to the media and revealed what needs to happen in order to get back on track.

"It starts with me," Mahomes said, per ESPN. "It's something I've not usually done in my career, but I have to reevaluate where I'm at, what decisions I'm making. "I've been a crazier player as far as scrambling and making throws. But in my career, I've never been someone who throws a lot of interceptions. I have to look at it now, reevaluate what I'm doing, and I have to cut it out." Because each team will play 17 regular-season games, the Chiefs have some time to turn things around. But with them being in last place in the AFC West, they can't continue to make the mistakes that have put them in a hole.

The Chiefs are a marked team as they have represented the AFC in the Super Bowl the last two seasons. This means that every team they face this year is going to give them everything they have. The Chiefs will look to get back on track this Sunday when they face the Washington Football Team.

[Reply]
KChiefs1 11:53 AM 10-12-2021
No NFL quarterback is perfect, but Patrick Mahomes comes about as close as possible to playing the position at a flawless level. However, the superstar signal-caller hasn’t quite lived up to expectations this season, and even if he rediscovers his 2018 MVP form, the Kansas City Chiefs look ill-equipped to make a third straight trip to the Super Bowl.

After all, the reigning AFC champions have a major crisis on their hands that has nothing to do with their unquestioned leader’s uncharacteristic struggles.

The scary part?
Originally Posted by :
Not even a perfect version of Mahomes can solve the biggest problem plaguing Andy Reid’s team.

Even a generational talent like Patrick Mahomes makes mistakes. However, nobody could have predicted he would match his 2020 interception total ago by mid-October.

With six picks in five games, the 26-year-old has surprisingly turned the ball over at a significantly higher rate than ever before. While Mahomes deserves credit for totaling 16 touchdown passes, he also deserves criticism for giving away possessions.

Since starting the season with a turnover-free, three-touchdown outing against the Cleveland Browns, the 26-year-old has thrown at least one interception in every game. He tossed two in a 30-24 Week 3 loss to the Los Angeles Chargers before turning in another multi-pick performance against the Buffalo Bills Sunday night that also included a lost fumble.

“It starts with me,” Mahomes said, per ESPN. “It’s something I’ve not usually done in my career, but I have to reevaluate where I’m at, what decisions I’m making. I’ve been a crazier player as far as scrambling and making throws. But in my career I’ve never been someone who throws a lot of interceptions. I have to look at it now, reevaluate what I’m doing, and I have to cut it out.”

Obviously, the Chiefs would love for their quarterback to cut down on the turnovers. And you can bet Mahomes will work hard to make smarter decisions and take better care of the football.

But even if he becomes a dominant force the rest of the way, his team seems destined to fall short anyways.

Although the Chiefs rank fifth in scoring at an impressive clip of 30.8 points per game, they have a disappointing 2-3 record. In fact, they’ve quickly gone from owning the AFC West to sitting in last place in the division.

While Mahomes and the offense certainly have room to improve, it’s clear Kansas City is in full crisis mode on the other side of the ball. After all, Steve Spagnuolo’s defense simply can’t stop anybody.

Most recently, Josh Allen completely carved up a unit that could not contain the Bills on the ground or through the air. The top MVP candidate totaled 315 passing yards, 59 rushing yards, and four touchdowns in Buffalo’s 38-20 victory at Arrowhead Stadium, and he made it look easy.

Of course, Allen became just the latest quarterback to experience tremendous success against the Chiefs. Lamar Jackson racked up 239 passing yards, 107 rushing yards, and three touchdowns in a dramatic one-point win over Mahomes and Co. The following week, Justin Herbert threw four touchdowns in a marquee matchup featuring two of the best young quarterbacks in the league.

Even the up-and-down Jalen Hurts managed to have a big day against Kansas City. The second-year pro completed 66.7% of his passes for 387 yards and two touchdowns in a game that saw the Philadelphia Eagles push their former head coach’s squad to the limit.

Perhaps the most concerning part of the entire situation is that the Chiefs have shown little ability to stop the run or the pass. They rank 29th in both passing yards allowed per game (296.4) and rushing yards allowed per game (141.0), which speaks volumes about how easy it’s been for opposing offenses to move the ball up and down the field.

Then again, when the Chiefs’ highest-paid defensive player only has two sacks and four quarterback hits (maybe moving Chris Jones to defensive end wasn’t a good idea) and two of their other three players who’ve recorded a sack play in the secondary, it shouldn’t be a surprise they rank last in points allowed.

Unfortunately for the Chiefs, even the best version of Mahomes can’t make up for a bad defense. Sure, scoring a ton of points helps, but it won’t matter if your defense gives up even more. And with the way Spagnuolo’s group has looked so far, it’s hard to get excited about what lies ahead for a team that’s attempting to represent the AFC in the Super Bowl for the third straight season.

Why should anyone fear a front seven that has the incredibly underwhelming Anthony Hitchens and rookie Nick Bolton at linebacker? The former ranks 72nd out of 84 players at the position in Pro Football Focus‘ grading system.

The latter ranks 55th.

What’s scary about facing Frank Clark anymore? Once viewed as a top-flight pass rusher, the 28-year-old hasn’t recorded a sack or quarterback hit in two games, and he ranks dead-last out of the 105 defensive ends graded by PFF.

How exactly will the Chiefs’ secondary get better given their underwhelming personnel? Starting cornerback L’Jarius Sneed has allowed an 80% completion rate on 15 targets, so there are questions about his ability to handle receivers on a consistent basis. Rashad Fenton has given up receptions on all seven of his targets, and Mike Hughes has surrendered three touchdowns on 24 throws in his direction.

Plus, Tyrann Mathieu has taken a slight step back after putting together arguably the best season of his NFL career. The veteran safety has allowed a completion rate of 81.8% — a substantially higher mark than the 61.6% average he recorded from 2018-20.

At this point, Kansas City looks poorly equipped to stop elite AFC quarterbacks like Allen, Jackson, and Herbert, and even playoff hopefuls like Joe Burrow and Derek Carr could inflict serious damage against the NFL’s worst defense. Barring a complete turnaround on that side of the ball over the coming weeks, the Chiefs have no shot at winning a Super Bowl title.

And if Patrick Mahomes doesn’t start stringing wins together, he may end up watching the postseason from home.
[Reply]
DRM08 12:06 PM 10-12-2021
Originally Posted by KChiefs1:

"It starts with me," Mahomes said, per ESPN. "It's something I've not usually done in my career, but I have to reevaluate where I'm at, what decisions I'm making. "I've been a crazier player as far as scrambling and making throws. But in my career, I've never been someone who throws a lot of interceptions. I have to look at it now, reevaluate what I'm doing, and I have to cut it out." Because each team will play 17 regular-season games, the Chiefs have some time to turn things around. But with them being in last place in the AFC West, they can't continue to make the mistakes that have put them in a hole.
I'm glad he realizes he needs to be a lot better. We will see if he can get things straightened out on his end. He needs some help though. Tyreek Hill had two huge drops against Buffalo. One killed a drive, while the other directly gave 7 points to Buffalo. Tyreek also fumbled deep in Chargers territory, a game they lost by one possession. Both of these superstar players need to be a lot better.
[Reply]
Page 2101 of 2687
« First < 1101160120012051209120972098209921002101 21022103210421052111215122012601 > Last »
Up