ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 10 of 70
« First < 678910 111213142060 > Last »
Media Center>Doctor Who
keg in kc 12:57 PM 03-30-2011
Been meaning to start a thread on this for years and never have for some reason. Big fan of both the original (what I've seen/remember of it...) and the rebooted series.

New doctor:

[Reply]
vailpass 03:51 PM 06-09-2011
Originally Posted by keg in kc:
Torchwood is the 'adult' version of Dr. Who. Captain Jack was still gay (or I suppose bi - I think he's equal opportunity) on Doctor Who, but sexuality is not something generally pushed on that show. Although Amy was all over the Doctor at one point last season.
Thanks Keg.
What did you mean about Starz? Is Who moving from BBC?

Torchwood? Looks like I've got some googling to do.

Amy Pond pushing up on the Doctor is OK; she could have gone bottomless the entire season and that would have been acceptable.
[Reply]
keg in kc 04:06 PM 06-09-2011
Originally Posted by vailpass:
Thanks Keg.
What did you mean about Starz? Is Who moving from BBC?
No, Torchwood in the US is now airing on Starz. No change to Doctor Who, at least for now.
[Reply]
vailpass 04:27 PM 06-09-2011
No, Torchwood in the US is now airing on Starz. No change to Doctor Who, at least for now.
Thanks for keeping us media-impaired people informed :-)
[Reply]
kc rush 07:49 AM 06-10-2011
Originally Posted by Jawshco:
And for me, I like Capt. Jack, but he's better in small doses, IMO. He should be a guest star not a full time companion.
I don't mind an episode or two, but he gets on my nerves pretty quickly, and over any length of time.

I got a few episodes into the first season of Torchwood, but couldn't watch any more than that.
[Reply]
Jawshco 11:16 PM 06-10-2011
Originally Posted by kc rush:
I don't mind an episode or two, but he gets on my nerves pretty quickly, and over any length of time.

I got a few episodes into the first season of Torchwood, but couldn't watch any more than that.
Well... the first season of Torchwood was crap. Season 2 was better (especially toward the end), and I thought Children of Earth was even better. You get a whole new view of Capt. Jack in that season. You even get to see that non-gay side a bit. Afterall, he's an omnisexual.
[Reply]
keg in kc 11:42 PM 06-10-2011
Children of Earth was fantastic, as I recall.
[Reply]
Rausch 07:01 AM 06-11-2011
Just starting season 2 (new series) now. I think I'm 3 eps in.

So far I don't hate the new (now old) DR. as much as I thought I would...
[Reply]
bevischief 08:56 AM 06-11-2011
BBC America is having a mini marathon of the current season all day leading to new one tonight.
[Reply]
Jawshco 11:35 AM 06-11-2011
Anyone listened to or heard about The Minister of Chance?

This audio production is a spinoff of Doctor Who, that features a Time Lord that I guess escaped the Time War. The Minister doesn't feature the Doctor that I know of, but both Sly McCoy and Paul McGann are in the cast.

They're even talking about making a Minister of Chance movie.

I have no clue if it's canon or at all related to the BBC. Have any of you listened to this?

http://www.ministerofchance.com/about.htm
[Reply]
keg in kc 03:54 PM 06-11-2011
Originally Posted by Rausch:
Just starting season 2 (new series) now. I think I'm 3 eps in.

So far I don't hate the new (now old) DR. as much as I thought I would...
You mean Tennant?

He's pretty fantastic by the time he leaves.
[Reply]
Jawshco 11:57 PM 06-11-2011
You mean Tennant?

He's pretty fantastic by the time he leaves.
IMO, The very first Tennant episode, Christmas Invasion, was brilliant. The Doctor sword fighting the skully Sycorax aliens, in an Arthur Dent bathrobe was awesome. And, The Sycorax Rock! Ha! Cheesy RTD era as always, but my kids and I love watching that one.

The latter part of the season with Rose, the 3D glasses era, was good as well, but the next two seasons were progressively better.
[Reply]
CrazyPhuD 12:06 AM 06-12-2011
Originally Posted by bevischief:
BBC America is having a mini marathon of the current season all day leading to new one tonight.
I don't think there is one tonight right? It's on hiatus until Sept.
[Reply]
kc rush 11:01 AM 06-13-2011
Originally Posted by Jawshco:
Well... the first season of Torchwood was crap. Season 2 was better (especially toward the end), and I thought Children of Earth was even better. You get a whole new view of Capt. Jack in that season. You even get to see that non-gay side a bit. Afterall, he's an omnisexual.
So is it worth suffering through season 1, or could I jump in to later episodes and not be lost?
[Reply]
Third Eye 12:18 PM 06-13-2011
So is it worth suffering through season 1, or could I jump in to later episodes and not be lost?
You definitely need to watch the first season. There's some character development that I think is important. I also may be in the minority here, but I don't necessarily agree that the first season is crap. It IS the weakest, but it has its moments.

There are a few episodes you could probably skip though and not miss much.
[Reply]
Jawshco 01:51 PM 06-13-2011
I don't think you could skip the entire season, but you could certainly skip about half the episodes without a problem. Here are the key episodes of season 1:

Episode 1: Gwen's origin w/ Torchwood, & introduction to the glove.
Episode 3: Ghost Machine- key for understanding Owen and Gwen.
Episode 4: Cyberwoman- Boring, but key for Ianto's background.
Episode 8: They keep Killing Susie- more about the glove
Episode 10: Out of time- key for Owen
Episode 11: Combat- key for Gwen & Rhys
Episode 12: Capt Jack Harkness- I'd personally like to never see this uber gay episode again, but it ties directly into the finale, which is probably the most Important episode of the Season.
Episode 13: End of Days- Probably the most important episode of the season. It has a bit of summary of sorts. If you had to skip a lot of the eps, this one and episode 1 are probably the most mandatory to understanding things. And
This episode ties directly to the DW episode "Utopia."
[Reply]
Page 10 of 70
« First < 678910 111213142060 > Last »
Up