ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 13 of 71
« First < 3910111213 141516172363 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***Official 2022-2023 Missouri Tigers Men's Basketball***
dlphg9 08:07 PM 03-26-2022
Expecting big things boys!

Missouri got rid of crappy CM and the board went out and got one of the top coaches according to some in Cleveland State's Dennis Gates.

In 2 days he has 2 recruits

Top JUCO player 6' 10" Mohamed Diarra
Transport portal DeAndre Gholston who avg 15 pts at Milwaukee over the past 2 years

Very excited!
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 09:33 AM 11-30-2022
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
I think you were the one that made this point the loudest, but the reason the Tigers couldn't play offense was the Cuonzo simply didn't try to recruit it.

He recruited grit/size/defensive tenacity first, then passing and shooting in some order well behind it.

And I suspect most of his practices weren't built around establishing a cohesive offensive foundation either.

It was a simple question of priorities for him and they were just...wrong. The True Sons who wanted a return to the halcyon days of Norm Stewart (which simply weren't that great to begin with) got what they wanted but they were so damn out of touch with modern basketball.

Cuonzo should probably be a defensive assistant somewhere or maybe a mid-major coach who can punch up and try to ugly up some games against higher quality opponents.

But he's clearly wildly overmatched as a Power 5 head coach.
Oh, I definitely shouted that from the rooftops.

His practice sessions did not focus on offensive basketball, or skill work. It was 80 percent conditioning and defense, rebounding, and toughness drills.

I think he was targeted more because he was a minority from St. Louis, and a few key boosters convinced Sterk he would be able to lock down the STL metro as a result.

And hey. That looked good for... 9 months? Then he lost the EJ Liddell recruitment while also getting burned out on high-profile recruits by his difficulties with Porter's family. And it tanked as a result.

His proper level is coaching hoops at DIII or something like that, where it is NOT scholarship and his values line up more with the types of student athletes they have.
[Reply]
ChiefaRoo 12:05 PM 11-30-2022
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
It's amazing how incompetent he was. It's also amazing to come to this realization:

The Tigers have a competent coach who understands offensive basketball and how to mold his style to the team he has (rather than pounding the team he has into a specific style) for the first time since Frank Haith was the coach.

Haith had faults, but he was still much better at this than either Kermit the Coach or CuonzNO.
Wichita State and Gregg Marshall broke Cuonzo at Tennessee and before that pounded his a$$ at Misery State twice a year for multiple seasons. He was Andrew Luck after Mahomes by the time he got to Mizzou.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 12:13 PM 11-30-2022
Originally Posted by ChiefaRoo:
Wichita State and Gregg Marshall broke Cuonzo at Tennessee and before that pounded his a$$ at Misery State. Seriously he was Andrew Luck after Mahomes by the time he got to Mizzou.
He did, does, and always will suck at running a college basketball program.

Inconsistent and below-average recruiter. Poor skill developer. Not a good in-game coach. Not able to design an effective offense.

He's a good person who is great at helping guys be complete people and develop some toughness. That's not a good D1 hoops coach any more, and hasn't been since the 1980s, really.
[Reply]
ChiefaRoo 12:22 PM 11-30-2022

Inconsistent and below-average recruiter. Poor skill developer. Not a good in-game coach. Not able to design an effective offense.

He's a good person who is great at helping guys be complete people and develop some toughness. That's not a good D1 hoops coach any more, and hasn't been since the 1980s, really.
Totally agree. I think his Purdue resume and professional career gave him momentum and opened doors. I don’t get why TN and Cal hired him. Mizzou? I guess because he was a St.Louis native.
[Reply]
ChiefsCountry 12:29 PM 11-30-2022
Wichita State and Gregg Marshall broke Cuonzo at Tennessee and before that pounded his a$$ at Misery State twice a year for multiple seasons. He was Andrew Luck after Mahomes by the time he got to Mizzou.

[Reply]
RockChalk 01:02 PM 11-30-2022
Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry:
Don't worry about Chiefaroo. He is going to be forever stuck in the 10-year run of Greggggggg at WSU. KU lives rent free in his head and now it appears that MU will too.
[Reply]
ChiefaRoo 02:13 PM 11-30-2022
Originally Posted by RockChalk:
Don't worry about Chiefaroo. He is going to be forever stuck in the 10-year run of Greggggggg at WSU. KU lives rent free in his head and now it appears that MU will too.
I’ve got no argument with Mizzou fan. WSU and Mizzou beat each other in away games recently. I’m quite content watching the Shocks have an average college basketball season so they can fire the lame coach that was hired by the lame AD who was fired recently.

Now Missouri State? C’mon man. It’s about league titles and NCAA runs. You won a title once or twice. Congrats. WSU won the NIT that same year.
Who wins every league game… oh wait WSU did do that too a few years later and made Mo-St’s players cry on their home court. Pounded that furry pig booty for years afterwards.

KU fan can Jack off to Selfs toupee.
[Reply]
ChiefaRoo 02:32 PM 11-30-2022
I think WSU took 2/3 from Cuonzo at UT then he went to Cal if memory serves.
[Reply]
ChiefaRoo 02:36 PM 11-30-2022
Originally Posted by RockChalk:
Hey buddy memories are all any of us have. If it weren’t for last season KU fan would still be talking about Mario Chalmers … which was a very long time ago.

I will give you credit for clicking on this thread. Seems most KU fans don’t really like College basketball they just want to be called the NCAA champ every season and be done with it.
[Reply]
dlphg9 03:07 PM 11-30-2022

I think Dennis Gates has this skill as well as being able to recruit and coach at a high level. That press conference with him and I can't remember the player, but he was talking about how Coach Gates has helped him so much.

He seems like a great guy.
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 03:10 PM 11-30-2022
Originally Posted by dlphg9:
I think Dennis Gates has this skill as well as being able to recruit and coach at a high level. That press conference with him and I can't remember the player, but he was talking about how Coach Gates has helped him so much.

He seems like a great guy.
He's certainly a presence. Couple that with guys actually executing offensively, even with the game on the line, and it's refreshing to say the least.
[Reply]
PHOG 03:58 PM 11-30-2022
Hey buddy memories are all any of us have. If it weren’t for last season KU fan would still be talking about Mario Chalmers … which was a very long time ago.

I will give you credit for clicking on this thread. Seems most KU fans don’t really like College basketball they just want to be called the NCAA champ every season and be done with it.
:-)
[Reply]
RockChalk 09:12 PM 11-30-2022

Some day we’ll run into each other, grab a beer or two and have a good laugh about what a complete and utter moron you are.
[Reply]
ChiefBlueCFC 09:15 PM 11-30-2022
We gonna learn a lot about these boys this month
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 10:11 PM 11-30-2022
Oh, I definitely shouted that from the rooftops.

His practice sessions did not focus on offensive basketball, or skill work. It was 80 percent conditioning and defense, rebounding, and toughness drills.

I think he was targeted more because he was a minority from St. Louis, and a few key boosters convinced Sterk he would be able to lock down the STL metro as a result.

And hey. That looked good for... 9 months? Then he lost the EJ Liddell recruitment while also getting burned out on high-profile recruits by his difficulties with Porter's family. And it tanked as a result.

His proper level is coaching hoops at DIII or something like that, where it is NOT scholarship and his values line up more with the types of student athletes they have.
Difficulties w/ Porter's family?
[Reply]
Page 13 of 71
« First < 3910111213 141516172363 > Last »
Up