ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 116 of 221
« First < 1666106112113114115116 117118119120126166216 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>The Fishing Thread
Easy 6 07:58 PM 02-19-2010
Searched around & only found the video fishing & BassMasters threads, i know their are plenty of outdoorsman here, so i figured it'd be cool to draw upon the Planets vast experience in all things fishing.

I only use spincast reels & fish mostly large/smallmouth bass & cats. My choice of reels is quite the source of derision from many people i know 'duffer gear', but i haul in my share of 6 pound bass & 10-20 pound cats on that gear no problem. With a little know-how you can use just about any technique you want to on 'duffer gear'.

Berkley Powerbaits are a big part of my trick bag, the difference between those & regular stuff is night & day. My best action last summer came on Mister Twister scented white curly tail grubs, on one day fishing from shore to a bridge pier, i caught smallies, bigmouths, perch & even 1 carp believe it or not... great day. But my bread & butter is a texas rigged Berkley worm, it'll wiggle through any kind of cover without getting hung up.

With cats i strictly bottom fish, no bobber & bait is just as basic... but its always in 2's to give'em a real treat... a shrimp/with a nightcrawler, liver/chunk of cheese etc. Cats are mostly for night sport to me, time to kick back a lil...

So thats me style, how do the rest of you guys get your fish on? What do you fish for, what do you use? IIRC Missouri's trout season just kicked off, anyone getting anything?
[Reply]
SAUTO 05:39 PM 01-20-2017
Originally Posted by stumppy:
Man, it's been too many years since I made it up there. Seen a lot of guys using home made remote control boats to run their lines across the current and drop them in the whirlpool on the other side. A lot of big cats pulled out of there. Blues, channels, and albinos. Pretty sweet setups for fisjing that particular spot.
It's been a LONG time then. They haven't allowed that for almost 30 years.

There's a gold fish that feeds up there with the big cats that's over 50 lbs.
[Reply]
Easy 6 05:55 PM 01-20-2017
Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO:
:-) thats awesome
[Reply]
stumppy 06:23 PM 01-20-2017
It's been a LONG time then. They haven't allowed that for almost 30 years.

Yup, it was around 25 to 3O years ago. It was a pretty cool setup that eliminated having to cast the 5O or so yards across the current. They were using a bow trigger hooked up to a servo to release the line and big surf casting R&R's with one quart oil bottles for bobbers. I remember seeing one stringer that had 6 cats on it. The smallest was around 2Olbs, biggest was around 5O lbs. All of the boats were home made out of thick styrofoam.
I've thought about throwing together something like that every now and then just for those spots you can never quite get to.
[Reply]
SAUTO 06:24 PM 01-20-2017
Yup, it was around 25 to 3O years ago. It was a pretty cool setup that eliminated having to cast the 5O or so yards across the current. They were using a bow trigger hooked up to a servo to release the line and big surf casting R&R's with one quart oil bottles for bobbers. I remember seeing one stringer that had 6 cats on it. The smallest was around 2Olbs, biggest was around 5O lbs. All of the boats were home made out of thick styrofoam.
I've thought about throwing together something like that every now and then just for those spots you can never quite get to.
They don't even let you cast up there anymore.

Fucking idiots were breaking the Windows out of the powerhouse with their big weights.
[Reply]
SAUTO 06:25 PM 01-20-2017
Originally Posted by Easy 6:
:-) thats awesome
There are all colors there. My boy likes to feed them, next time we go ill shoot a pic
[Reply]
stumppy 06:28 PM 01-20-2017
They don't even let you cast up there anymore.

Fucking idiots were breaking the Windows out of the powerhouse with their big weights.
I remember being there in the late 8O's one spring after record rainfalls. The flooding was bad all over the state but really bad in that area. The power of all that water being released from the damn was just fucking awesome. The stream coming out was rolling and cresting and just brioling up all over as it went by. Some of the rollers were at least 25 foot high. Quite a sight.
[Reply]
bdj23 06:41 PM 01-20-2017
I hate seeing people pull stringers of huge catfish out of lakes. It can take 20 years for a flathead to grow to that size.

You can catch 10lb channel cat til your heart is content out at lone star like south of Lawrence if you want catfish to eat. Let the monsters go and grow into record fish.
[Reply]
stumppy 07:03 PM 01-20-2017
Originally Posted by BDj23:
I hate seeing people pull stringers of huge catfish out of lakes. It can take 20 years for a flathead to grow to that size.

You can catch 10lb channel cat til your heart is content out at lone star like south of Lawrence if you want catfish to eat. Let the monsters go and grow into record fish.
That is my preference too. Hell, I don't really even like fish. Once in a while I have some if it's right out of the creek and cooked for shore lunch but thats about it. All I want is to go to battle against those sneaky, bait stealing, hook throwing, line snapping mofo's. Keep what you would like to eat but put the old big SOBs back in the water.
[Reply]
stumppy 07:08 PM 01-20-2017
DAMNIT, all this talking about fishing has got my fever up bad. Worse than any drug I've ever done thats for sure.
[Reply]
SAUTO 07:21 PM 01-20-2017
DAMNIT, all this talking about fishing has got my fever up bad. Worse than any drug I've ever done thats for sure.
I WISH fishing was my vice. My father in law fished like crazy and loved working with the grandkids at it. He's got this fucking awesome house, fancy everything, and he's had my daughter practicing casting with jigs all over that house. Just tells her to hit spots on the walls, he's that into fishing (imagine the walls and my mil is very particular, they have a housekeeper come in a couple times a week and it started over that) he had a stroke the month before my son was born and lost his left side (dominant) so he can't really take them anymore, if he's going it's with helpand I dont think he likes the kids to see him that way.

So I take them and he tells me what to tell them to do. He watches them cast in the house though.

I do everything else with it. For him and them. It's not really my thing, although it's starting to grow on me. And it's free. He has so many bags from bass pro in his building that it's gotten to be many thousands of dollars.

He's got this dock spot that he's owned for over 30 years and has built beds under it since he bought it. My brother in law dives down and works on it several times a year.

They are always there.
[Reply]
stumppy 09:06 PM 01-20-2017
I WISH fishing was my vice. My father in law fished like crazy and loved working with the grandkids at it. He's got this fucking awesome house, fancy everything, and he's had my daughter practicing casting with jigs all over that house. Just tells her to hit spots on the walls, he's that into fishing (imagine the walls and my mil is very particular, they have a housekeeper come in a couple times a week and it started over that) he had a stroke the month before my son was born and lost his left side (dominant) so he can't really take them anymore, if he's going it's with helpand I dont think he likes the kids to see him that way.

So I take them and he tells me what to tell them to do. He watches them cast in the house though.

I do everything else with it. For him and them. It's not really my thing, although it's starting to grow on me. And it's free. He has so many bags from bass pro in his building that it's gotten to be many thousands of dollars.

He's got this dock spot that he's owned for over 30 years and has built beds under it since he bought it. My brother in law dives down and works on it several times a year.

They are always there.
Damn man, that really sucks for your FIL and for the kids. Although there were enjoyable things about taking my kids when they were young, fishing was not what I enjoyed about it. Too much shit to do for the kids. lol As they got older it got better. I however have always been a fishing junky.
Having a 'spot' for them to fish and catch at is 3/4 of the battle in keeping them interested. Good on you for helping the old guy keep being that part of there lives. I'd have gave anything to have someone to take me fishing when i was young.
Had an aunt that got me started at about 3 yrs old. She unfortunately died when I was 5...I had the fever,..dad was already dead so I used to drop a line in any place that held water. lmao, fished in a goldfish ponds in parks, any running water i could find, anywhere that had a fish in it. lmao
[Reply]
bdj23 01:04 PM 01-21-2017
That is my preference too. Hell, I don't really even like fish. Once in a while I have some if it's right out of the creek and cooked for shore lunch but thats about it. All I want is to go to battle against those sneaky, bait stealing, hook throwing, line snapping mofo's. Keep what you would like to eat but put the old big SOBs back in the water.
I rarely eat fish either, catfish is alright but not good enough for me to put in the effort to clean a bunch of them.

If I'm eating anything, it's Walleye, but i don't fish for Walleye. When i catch those, it's by accident.

Also, I'm all for softshell turtle genocide. Once the current goes down on the Kaw, those cock suckers are everywhere.
[Reply]
Rasputin 01:37 PM 01-21-2017
I rarely eat fish either, catfish is alright but not good enough for me to put in the effort to clean a bunch of them.

If I'm eating anything, it's Walleye, but i don't fish for Walleye. When i catch those, it's by accident.

Also, I'm all for softshell turtle genocide. Once the current goes down on the Kaw, those cock suckers are everywhere.

AMEN

fuck turtles :-)
[Reply]
bdj23 05:58 PM 01-21-2017
Currently in the process of planning a trip to Croatia and Montenegro.

Better believe I'm going fishing when I'm over there.
[Reply]
Easy 6 06:30 PM 01-21-2017
Currently in the process of planning a trip to Croatia and Montenegro.

Better believe I'm going fishing when I'm over there.
Say what, why those two places?

Gotta be one of two things IMO... either your ancestry is from that region, or you're Chiefplanets own Jeremy Wade crisscrossing the globe in search of rare, maneating fish
[Reply]
Page 116 of 221
« First < 1666106112113114115116 117118119120126166216 > Last »
Up