ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 8
1 2345 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Flexing Thursday Night Football games to be considered by NFL owners
FloridaMan88 08:16 PM 03-23-2023
JFC what a terrible idea…

Link: https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/n...er-report/amp/

Originally Posted by :
NFL owners to vote to start flexing 'Thursday Night Football' games for 2023, per report

"Thursday Night Football" may have more compelling games on its schedule next season. NFL owners will be asked during next week's league meetings to approve a flex plan for Thursday night games that go into effect for the 2023 season, according to the Sports Business Journal.

The main purpose of passing the flex plan would be to eliminate Thursday night games between losing teams. If the plan passes, the NFL would be permitted to shift Sunday afternoon games to Thursday night from weeks 14-17 with 15 days notice. The league would also be permitted to schedule teams for Thursday night games after a previous Sunday game on two occasions. Currently, a team can only play one game on Thursday night after playing a Sunday night game.

While there is optimism that the proposal will pass, there are reasons to believe that it could be voted down by the owners. NFL coaches, for one, are not fans of schedule changes, especially during the season. Safety also becomes a concern as teams could be asked to play more games on short weeks.

Amazon's first season with "Thursday Night Football" drew an average viewership of 9.6 million, according to Neilsen. While that is a solid number, it was a 46 percent decline from the previous season when Thursday night games were broadcast on Fox and NFL Network. Games that did not have significant playoff implications may have contributed to the decline in viewership.

There's also the issue of fans who purchase tickets well in advance of their game. The possibility of more games being flexed may cause more hesitation from fans who are considering purchasing tickets ahead of the game they plan on attending.

For a proposal to pass, it must receive 75 percent of the vote, meaning that 24 of the NFL's 32 owners must vote in favor of the proposal. Given the NFL's commitment to generating revenue, the safe bet is that the owners will pass the proposal, even if it goes against the wishes of coaches, players and fans.

[Reply]
Dunerdr 08:18 PM 03-23-2023
I know this will fuck us into a short week at some point but, FUCKING IN. I can’t watch the broncos vs the jets or some bullshit again.
[Reply]
BleedingRed 08:20 PM 03-23-2023
Chiefs vs whoever will never be flexed. If it some bottom feeding team NFL owners will offer a sacrifice game just so tens of millions can watch Mahomes drop 6TDs and 400 yrd
[Reply]
Rain Man 08:20 PM 03-23-2023
I like watching losing teams. Otherwise, I never get to see the Falcons or the Commanders play.
[Reply]
Dunerdr 08:20 PM 03-23-2023
If the chiefs play Thursday night every week, there are no short weeks.
[Reply]
Archie Bunker 08:22 PM 03-23-2023
Wish they’d just flex the whole concept of Thursday Night Football into the trash.
[Reply]
displacedinMN 09:33 PM 03-23-2023
Originally Posted by Archie Bunker:
Wish they’d just flex the whole concept of Thursday Night Football into the trash.
agreed
[Reply]
mr. tegu 09:39 PM 03-23-2023
And deprive us of the Colts vs Broncos game that was an all time great last season? Legitimately one of the most entertaining games of the season.
[Reply]
Titty Meat 09:46 PM 03-23-2023
Flex all Thursday games to Sunday
[Reply]
FloridaMan88 09:47 PM 03-23-2023
Fat Russell basically killed Thursday Night Football, forcing the flex.
[Reply]
Jewish Rabbi 09:49 PM 03-23-2023
Originally Posted by Titty Meat:
Flex all Thursday games to Sunday
Flex your ass to the Lamar Hunt statue bitch
[Reply]
displacedinMN 09:57 PM 03-23-2023
Originally Posted by mr. tegu:
And deprive us of the Colts vs Broncos game that was an all time great last season? Legitimately one of the most entertaining games of the season.
that was an epic fail of a game
[Reply]
ThyKingdomCome15 10:05 PM 03-23-2023
Meh, I'm for it I guess. Either/or.
[Reply]
Frazod 10:06 PM 03-23-2023
Fuck Thursday night games.
[Reply]
Bump 10:12 PM 03-23-2023
NFL: "we care about our players"

also NFL: "we make them play 3 days after they play on Sunday because who needs recovery time"
[Reply]
Page 1 of 8
1 2345 > Last »
Up