ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 21 of 21
« First < 111718192021
Nzoner's Game Room>Jets in talks with Packers, Aaron Rodgers
Eleazar 12:54 PM 03-07-2023
Jets in talks with Packers, Aaron Rodgers, sources say

The New York Jets have had conversations with the Green Bay Packers and with quarterback Aaron Rodgers this week regarding a potential trade of the four-time MVP to the Jets, according to sources.

The sources said some of those conversations were expected to take place Tuesday, but that it's unclear as of Tuesday morning whether they will result in a trade.

Rodgers still has not made any announcements about what he intends to do this season. It's still possible he decides to retire, or to stay in Green Bay. But if he still wants to play and he and the Packers agree it's time for him to play somewhere else, the Jets appear to be a realistic option.

If the Jets are speaking directly with Rodgers, they and he would have had to secure the Packers' permission, as he is still under contract with Green Bay. So, the discussions Rodgers is having with the Jets indicate at least some openness on the part of the Packers to the idea of trading him there.

But there are potential complications to a deal, including Rodgers' huge and complicated contract, that might have to be addressed to make sure both teams would be in compliance with the salary cap by the start of the league year next Wednesday at 4 p.m. ET.

Rodgers is under contract through 2024 for $108.8 million. Technically, the contract, signed last March, runs through 2026, but 2025 and 2026 are considered "dummy" years for cap purposes. His deal includes a fully guaranteed $59.5 million this season, with $58.3 million coming in the form of an option bonus, payable before the start of the regular season.

Because his bonus money is prorated, Rodgers wouldn't hobble the Jets' cap. He would count $15.8 million in 2023 and $32.5 million in 2024, cap-friendly for a player of his stature.

The Packers would get hit with a $40.3 million "dead" charge in 2023 -- nearly $9 million more than he'd count if he were on the roster.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...rs-sources-say
[Reply]
The Franchise 10:11 AM 04-13-2023
The Jets painted themselves into a corner. It's either Rodgers, Jackson or Wilson. And I'm not sure they've shown any interest in Lamar at all.
[Reply]
staylor26 10:13 AM 04-13-2023
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
The Jets painted themselves into a corner. It's either Rodgers, Jackson or Wilson. And I'm not sure they've shown any interest in Lamar at all.
And I just don't see how Lamar fits into that offense. That's the problem with Lamar, so many teams would have to change their offense entirely.
[Reply]
The Franchise 10:15 AM 04-13-2023
Originally Posted by staylor26:
And I just don't see how Lamar fits into that offense. That's the problem with Lamar, so many teams would have to change their offense entirely.
Yeah, so it's Rodgers and Wilson.

They should have just gone after Carr and ended this shit a month ago. He'd at least help that team get to the playoffs.
[Reply]
staylor26 10:18 AM 04-13-2023
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
Yeah, so it's Rodgers and Wilson.

They should have just gone after Carr and ended this shit a month ago. He'd at least help that team get to the playoffs.
Agreed. If they're really that concerned about Rodgers retiring after a year, then they should've just signed Carr.

Now they have their fans thinking they're 100% getting Rodgers, and everybody is talking SB.
[Reply]
Bowser 10:21 AM 04-13-2023
Watch Baltimore swoop in and trade for Rodgers now, lol.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 10:46 AM 04-13-2023
:-) Can't imagine how miserable Rodgers will make things for Gute and Co if they end up not trading him. He's going to fuck that team so hard out of spite.
[Reply]
Wisconsin_Chief 10:52 AM 04-13-2023
Originally Posted by Marcellus:
Bolded part 1 is patently false, Rodgers drug his feet and didn't say anything about playing again for sure until fairly recently. This also seemed to coincide with GB saying they were moving on which kind of forced his hand.
Not sure where you're getting that. He reportedly told the Packers a week before he went on McAfee's podcast that he would accept a trade to the Jets. That was only like a month after the Super Bowl or so I think. Not like he pulled a Favre and retired and then decided to come back in August.

Also, his hand isn't forced into anything. If the Packers don't trade him, they're the ones who are screwed, not vice versa. Them trying to act like they have any sort of leverage here or can make him do anything is downright laughable. They handed him $50+ million guaranteed for the season, and he'll make that money one way or another, even if they continue to be morons and don't take the Jets offer. He'll show up at team activities and then they'll really be screwed.

I don't like the guy, but the Packers front office is every bit the joke he is and then some. That's why this mess has occurred, because everyone involved is a clown.
[Reply]
notorious 10:53 AM 04-13-2023
Rodgers could hide in GB and the fans love him.

If he struggles in NY watch out.
[Reply]
tredadda 11:02 AM 04-13-2023
Originally Posted by Wisconsin_Chief:
To be fair, Rodgers hasn't really been the cause of any of this. He immediately made it known he wanted to play for the Jets and didn't waste anyone's time. This is on the Packers front office for being clueless idiots (which they have been for years) and thinking they have some kind of leverage here when they have absolutely none whatsoever.

Rodgers could certainly come out and commit to playing for 2 more years, but it's not really his problem to make Woody Johnson feel better about the situation. I actually agree though about Jackson. Not sure why they wouldn't be taking a look at him. Seems Johnson got dead set on Rodgers and there's no turning back now.
Rodgers is on the verge of hanging it up at any moment. I would take nothing he says right now or in the future seriously. Woody can either go all in now and roll the dice that Rodgers brings them a championship or he can drag his feet and risk being left with nothing. This is what you get when you pin your hopes on a talented yet flaky QB pushing 40.
[Reply]
The Franchise 11:05 AM 04-13-2023
Originally Posted by notorious:
Rodgers could hide in GB and the fans love him.

If he struggles in NY watch out.
Does Rodgers look like the type of person to give a shit what NY thinks if he struggles?
[Reply]
Wisconsin_Chief 11:06 AM 04-13-2023
Originally Posted by tredadda:
Rodgers is on the verge of hanging it up at any moment. I would take nothing he says right now or in the future seriously. Woody can either go all in now and roll the dice that Rodgers brings them a championship or he can drag his feet and risk being left with nothing. This is what you get when you pin your hopes on a talented yet flaky QB pushing 40.
Totally agree, and like I said in one of my other posts that's the reason this whole thing is turning into such a mess. Everyone involved is being ridiculous. Both front offices need to just bite the bullet and stop thinking one of them is going to get the upper hand.
[Reply]
tredadda 11:13 AM 04-13-2023
Originally Posted by Wisconsin_Chief:
Totally agree, and like I said in one of my other posts that's the reason this whole thing is turning into such a mess. Everyone involved is being ridiculous. Both front offices need to just bite the bullet and stop thinking one of them is going to get the upper hand.
Yup. GB really needs to lower their demands some. Holding out for as much as they can is hurting them. If they don't trade him they still have to pay him $50 million and there is no guarantee that he will play or give much effort. They just need to trade him, wipe their hands and build around Love.
[Reply]
Page 21 of 21
« First < 111718192021
Up