ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 38 of 46
« First < 283435363738 39404142 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>The SNL Thread
Easy 6 08:51 PM 05-12-2007
I've been considering doing this for a while, so here goes. A thread to discuss anyone & anything relating to the show.

They keep a pretty tight lid on all images & apparently stay after youtube as well, so those kinds of things might be a 'lil hard to come by, but oh well.

Pretty much everyone here seems to be a fan of it on some level, so it might be kinda fun.

Its as close to Cant Miss Television as there is for me.
[Reply]
Easy 6 11:03 AM 05-09-2021
Originally Posted by MTG#10:
Guess you missed the weekend update? Wish I would have.
Went outside and did a little stargazing during that, I'll never watch those two clowns
[Reply]
scho63 11:26 AM 05-09-2021
Kate McKinnon is far and away the best talent in that cast. I don't remember a single time she didn't make me laugh.
[Reply]
CoMoChief 02:04 PM 05-09-2021
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
Murdur durdur.

Very good satire of Mare from Easttown

Spoiler!
Really? Thought this was fuckin stupid.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 02:59 PM 05-09-2021
Originally Posted by CoMoChief:
That's way the comedy works. If you're not familiar with what's being lampooned, it's not funny.

SNL has always made fun of TV shows, actors and movies. Sometimes it works (MacGruber, Andy Samberg's Mark Wahlberg) and sometimes it's doesn't but if you're unfamiliar with pop culture, it'll never work and never be funny.

I was pleasantly surprised by last night's show. Elon Musk was far more entertaining and charming than I expected and most of the skits were better than they'd been all season, IMO.

It wasn't great but it wasn't unwatchable, IMO, either.
[Reply]
Otter 03:25 PM 05-09-2021
Originally Posted by CoMoChief:
I lived in PA until shortly after college. If you get the references it's pretty funny.

Still blurt out "youz guyz" every once in awhile. While "jagoff" never stuck with me I did go to UPitt and dealt with many Pittsburg peeps. It's a staple of the dialect.
[Reply]
Chiefaholic 06:16 PM 05-09-2021
I watched the online version and can honestly say (as a person who watched SNL in the 70's and 80's weekly) that modern day SNL is boring. The entire show netted a couple chuckles, and for the most part was lame. How this show is still on air is beyond me.
[Reply]
Stryker 08:01 PM 05-09-2021
It's ok and I get some chuckles as well but it will never be what it was back in the 70's and 80's maybe even 90's. Skits like...

Two Wild and Crazy Guys
Theodoric of York
Cheeseburger Pepsi Pepsi - Samurai Deli
Jane you ignorant slut!
It was constant humor and creative!

Debbie Downer and such was the landside and the beginning of the end.

Then there's D in a Box
Threesome
Jizz in my pants and other late bloomers that were fresh and funny as hell!
[Reply]
eDave 08:10 PM 05-09-2021
Originally Posted by Chiefaholic:
I watched the online version and can honestly say (as a person who watched SNL in the 70's and 80's weekly) that modern day SNL is boring. The entire show netted a couple chuckles, and for the most part was lame. How this show is still on air is beyond me.
It's a generational thing. No different than music. You've outgrown it are not necessarily their target audience.
[Reply]
mr. tegu 08:22 PM 05-09-2021
I remember when the Rock was on for what I think was his first time. It seemed like a big deal at the time for me and I still recall really liking the caveman skit.
[Reply]
KCrockaholic 08:33 PM 05-09-2021
Originally Posted by mr. tegu:
I remember when the Rock was on for what I think was his first time. It seemed like a big deal at the time for me and I still recall really liking the caveman skit.
Yep. He was phenomenal
[Reply]
GayFrogs 01:04 AM 05-10-2021
The simpsons is still on the air
[Reply]
BigRedChief 09:35 PM 06-04-2021
here’s why........

For the first time in its history, Saturday Night Live finished ahead of every other entertainment show in the ratings — not just in late night, but across all of ad-supported TV.

The NBC series wrapped its 46th season as the top entertainment program (i.e., not including sports telecasts) among adults 18-49. It’s the top-rated comedy in the key ad demographic for the second consecutive season.
[Reply]
|Zach| 10:18 PM 06-04-2021
Originally Posted by Stryker:
It's ok and I get some chuckles as well but it will never be what it was back in the 70's and 80's maybe even 90's. Skits like...

Two Wild and Crazy Guys
Theodoric of York
Cheeseburger Pepsi Pepsi - Samurai Deli
Jane you ignorant slut!
It was constant humor and creative!

Debbie Downer and such was the landside and the beginning of the end.

Then there's D in a Box
Threesome
Jizz in my pants and other late bloomers that were fresh and funny as hell!

A few things. I think the degree of difficulty to have a really funny SNL episode is so much higher than it used to be. In the era of social media and instant comedy everywhere instant reactions to literally everything and just more people trying to funny in the world its a lot harder to be fresh.

Even something that is legit pretty funny gets run into the ground instantly. I think SNL is at its best during its late in the show off the wall sketches. None of the political stuff is any good and things they do to make old people laugh is not funny. There are a few things here that I think are funnier than anything you mentioned above save for Debbie Downer which was really good.

[Reply]
|Zach| 10:20 PM 06-04-2021
Those are just a few examples that came to mind instantly there are so many more. And my point is not that SNL is never unfunny...it often is unfunny just like its often been unfunny since the start. But I think there is a specific brand of humor they do well when they attempt it and its usually not at the top half of the show.

I miss Hader, Killam, and Forte a lot. Mikey Day is really strong and Bowen Yang is an instant star.
[Reply]
eDave 04:19 AM 06-05-2021
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
here’s why........

For the first time in its history, Saturday Night Live finished ahead of every other entertainment show in the ratings — not just in late night, but across all of ad-supported TV.

The NBC series wrapped its 46th season as the top entertainment program (i.e., not including sports telecasts) among adults 18-49. It’s the top-rated comedy in the key ad demographic for the second consecutive season.
The demographic doesn't change. The demographic does.
[Reply]
Page 38 of 46
« First < 283435363738 39404142 > Last »
Up