ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 5 of 5
< 12345
Nzoner's Game Room>My Dad is so awesome, he waited for me
Hog's Gone Fishin 09:02 PM 05-07-2021
My sister told him Jimmy was on the way, drove 8 hours at 90mph and made it. I got to the hospital, I made my way to his room on the 5th floor . I grabbed his hand , rubbed his shoulder, told him i was here .

He took his last four breaths and was gone.

Buried him yesterday.

God is good!
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 04:17 PM 05-08-2021
Originally Posted by REDHOTGTO:
so sorry old friend, ive been there with my mom its no fun
did they still live in indy ?
No, they moved away years ago. But his veterinary clinic and farm was there in Indy in the early years.

He had that clinic by the overpass on west Main if you remember that had the big cow on the pedestal. Dr Whittim took over his practice when he left.
[Reply]
REDHOTGTO 04:19 PM 05-08-2021
cool, again sorry for your loss, glad he hung on till ya got there
[Reply]
IowaHawkeyeChief 05:22 PM 05-08-2021
Sorry to hear Hog... It's amazing what a person's "spirit" may do...

My brother died of Brain Cancer a few years back... My brother who died, myself, and another brother were all extremely close. Daily phone calls, annual trips with our spouses, etc. He was in hospice and he was near the end, we thought a couple of days out. So my brother and I, and our sons, drove my mother back to her house as she needed some medication and she lived an hour or so away. We dropped Mom and then proceeded to my lake house another hour or so. We were going to head back fairly early the next morning, pick up Mom, and go back to hospice for the duration. We stopped along the way and bought some whiskey, beer and other items and had decided we were going to tie one on a bit. Well, we got to the lake, ate a late dinner, and then proceeded to not tie one on, we don't know why, but we just sat around the fire and told story after story about my brother, memories from our youth and throughout our lives. All of a sudden we realized it was nearly 4:30 in the morning. Thank god we weren't wasted because we had to wake up early and head back. Everyone went to their bedrooms and I was the last to turn off the lights and head to bed. I got into bed and 2 minutes later, my Sister-in-law called and said that they had woken her up and that the monitor had went off and my brother had passed a few minutes previously. We talked the next day to his kids and other family and all had went to bed early after a few long days... We were the only ones up and it was like he was waiting for us to go to bed as he listened to our stories...

My prayers our with you and your family Hog.
[Reply]
Lzen 05:33 PM 05-08-2021
Good to hear you had the last moments. My dad struggled so much I had to leave the hospital room. He was so hopped up on morphine it was hard to see him like that. But before that he did say he was glad all his kids were there with him.
[Reply]
scho63 06:06 PM 05-08-2021
Great that you see the positive in this and that you are thankful.

Sorry about the passing of your Dad but so happy you got that last moment of bonding.

My father passed away in the hospital a few hours before my Mom, my sister and I got back from the prior day.

Me, my sister and my Aunt all were with my Mom holding her hands as she took her last breaths.
[Reply]
jjchieffan 08:55 AM 05-09-2021
Glad that you got to be there. I haven't buried a parent, but we lost my sister to cancer in 2019. My daughter had an appointment with a doctor right down the road from the hospital the morning she passed. We were at that appointment when I got the call that she had gone. It was devastating that I was that close and missed those final moments with her. That's awesome that you got to be there.
[Reply]
ROYC75 10:04 AM 05-09-2021
May he RIP knowing that the 2 of you were able to share that last bonding moment with unconditional love.

Thanks for sharing your treasured memory for life.
[Reply]
eDave 10:06 AM 05-09-2021
Originally Posted by ROYC75:
May he RIP knowing that the 2 of you were able to share that last bonding moment with unconditional love.

Thanks for sharing your treasured memory for life.
How are YOU doing?
[Reply]
ROYC75 11:31 AM 05-09-2021
Originally Posted by eDave:
How are YOU doing?
Fair to be honest with ya. If you ask anybody around me you would here I'm doing GREAT, GOOD . All of the stuff except that living in a great deal of pain daily.

I got released from therapy at 83 degrees flexibility on my right knee and now I'm up to 95 on my own workout regime.

But with that there's still a lot of pain if I try to move it any more than that cuz it just does not want to move since it's scar tissue. Long-term knee issues has caused my back to have greater issues and now they want to do surgery on it. I've already pushed off the idea of ever getting both rotator cuff issues repaired, I'm tired of surgeries.

As a last-ditch effort to ease the pain, the doc has ordered me to therapy on my back hoping that I can get the inflammation to calm down in the L4 L5 area hoping to get the core muscles to strengthen up enough to support myself.

I'm planning a 1.5, maybe 2 month long trip around August to the western part of the states to see family, friends and do some sightseeing.

Most of all I'm just happy to be alive after that ordeal of nearly losing my life and not being mobile anymore. Just so thankful to be alive.

Thanks for asking and how are you doing?
[Reply]
Easy 6 01:14 PM 05-09-2021
The older I get, the more clear it becomes that we have to cherish every minute we get with loved ones

If I may, I'd like to share a quick story

Between the time I was born in 71, up until he died in 2007, the amount of time I was able tp spend with dad could be contained in a month, tops.. he was just filled with wanderlust I guess, moving between Florida, Colorado, Nevada and all points in between during my life, being in Illinois just made it basically impossible to see him

And he never made any real effort to bring me to where he was on summer vacations etc

As those who've been in similar situations can attest, its definitely leaves a deep void in you... doesn't dad love or care about me? No Christmas, no birthday cards, won't come see me, nothing?

But jump to 2007 and he's starting to get older at age 64, so he decides to move back to my old hometown, the town where he met my mother and had run a business back in the late 60s - early 70s

I was living 30 miles away in the state capital of Springfield at the time, but I quickly decided to move back to this boring ass little town, that I'd long ago SWORE I'd never come back to, for that one reason alone... finally, here's my chance to spend real time with dad and have a real relationship!

So we reconnected here in June of 2007, and started spending time with each other whenever possible... but it wasn't meant to last, he died exactly one month after I'd come back here, we had all of 30 days to reconnect

It was maybe the worst kick in the nuts I've ever taken... WE WERE JUST GETTING STARTED :-) :-)

So yeah, if there is a parent, or any loved one, you've fallen away from... just remember that nothing is promised to us, it could all end tomorrow, so please don't wait to put the past aside and reconnect
[Reply]
Page 5 of 5
< 12345
Up