Page 916 of 934
« First < 416816866906912913914915916 917918919920926 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Investing megathread extravaganza
DaFace 11:23 AM 06-27-2016
A place to talk about investing stuff.
[Reply]
lewdog 08:45 PM 11-26-2023
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
I'm optimistic. The market went down when interest rates went up, so it seems logical that the opposite should happen next year. And we've essentially been at a 0 percent return on average for the past couple of years, so at some point it'll go positive.
Do you remember the lost decade of stocks from 2000-2009? The market basically made no gains for those years. Many are predicting that but there's always a bull to follow too.

"So, now consider total returns — price movement plus dividends: since 1925, only 7 per cent of rolling 10-year S&P 500 total returns were flat or negative."

https://www.thenationalnews.com/busi...ually-bullish/
[Reply]
Rain Man 09:49 PM 11-26-2023
Originally Posted by lewdog:
Do you remember the lost decade of stocks from 2000-2009? The market basically made no gains for those years. Many are predicting that but there's always a bull to follow too.

"So, now consider total returns — price movement plus dividends: since 1925, only 7 per cent of rolling 10-year S&P 500 total returns were flat or negative."

https://www.thenationalnews.com/busi...ually-bullish/
I just calculated our most recent ten-year average (assuming no change in December), and it comes out to 8.6 percent per year, which is kind of average. I was curious what it would be given the volatility of the last few years.
[Reply]
Buehler445 11:02 PM 11-26-2023
I'm optimistic. The market went down when interest rates went up, so it seems logical that the opposite should happen next year. And we've essentially been at a 0 percent return on average for the past couple of years, so at some point it'll go positive.
I think there is still a fair amount of risk in the market. I've seen some rather troubling statistics on consumer debt, especially in the lower income individuals in the country that is pretty horrifying. Maybe it's nothing, maybe it's something that can cascade. I'm not educated enough to know.

I think there are major structural issues in real estate. I know there has been a lot of real estate bought on leverage, REITs, commercial, side hustles pushed by YouTube Finance bros, etc, and the numbers just don't work at 9% interest. Anywhere. Maybe it's no more than normal, maybe it's a swath of commercial real estate that is vastly under capitalized.

The other thing that is worrisome, and will remain for awhile is that I'm concerned that our society isn't good for high interest mortgages. Mortgages rates haven't been in the same universe as this since 9/11. That means there is 20 years of rates half this. I think I read it was 1995 since rates were this high. That means that nobody under 50 has ever even had the opportunity to be in the housing market in this kind of environment. And the world was far different then than now. That is a major structural change that was quite abrupt and we may not have seen all the repercussions yet.

The other thing that could make this thing get real ugly real fast is if the labor market softens. Every talking head couldn't help but crow about how the labor market was strong and there couldn't be a recession with a strong labor market. I think we've seen in Silicon Valley it doesn't take a load of layoffs to soften a labor market. That thing falls out of bed, even a little bit, I think it could have tremendous cascading results.

Obviously I hope none of that comes to pass, but those are the risks I see.
[Reply]
scho63 11:21 PM 11-26-2023
I've been back trading options, mostly calls and its bern a good month.

SHOP has been good to me.
[Reply]
Rain Man 12:22 AM 11-27-2023
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
I think there is still a fair amount of risk in the market. I've seen some rather troubling statistics on consumer debt, especially in the lower income individuals in the country that is pretty horrifying. Maybe it's nothing, maybe it's something that can cascade. I'm not educated enough to know.

I think there are major structural issues in real estate. I know there has been a lot of real estate bought on leverage, REITs, commercial, side hustles pushed by YouTube Finance bros, etc, and the numbers just don't work at 9% interest. Anywhere. Maybe it's no more than normal, maybe it's a swath of commercial real estate that is vastly under capitalized.

The other thing that is worrisome, and will remain for awhile is that I'm concerned that our society isn't good for high interest mortgages. Mortgages rates haven't been in the same universe as this since 9/11. That means there is 20 years of rates half this. I think I read it was 1995 since rates were this high. That means that nobody under 50 has ever even had the opportunity to be in the housing market in this kind of environment. And the world was far different then than now. That is a major structural change that was quite abrupt and we may not have seen all the repercussions yet.

The other thing that could make this thing get real ugly real fast is if the labor market softens. Every talking head couldn't help but crow about how the labor market was strong and there couldn't be a recession with a strong labor market. I think we've seen in Silicon Valley it doesn't take a load of layoffs to soften a labor market. That thing falls out of bed, even a little bit, I think it could have tremendous cascading results.

Obviously I hope none of that comes to pass, but those are the risks I see.
The commercial real estate stuff is the big risk in my opinion. I could see a bad scenario where that sector collapses and starts taking banks with it. But I pay other people to solve those problems.
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 07:48 PM 12-06-2023
Some HUGE dividends being paid this month on the Yieldmax funds
CONY is killing it!

https://www.globenewswire.com/news-r...nd-Others.html
[Reply]
Rain Man 08:15 PM 12-06-2023
Originally Posted by Hog's Gone Fishin:
Some HUGE dividends being paid this month on the Yieldmax funds
CONY is killing it!

https://www.globenewswire.com/news-r...nd-Others.html
That's free money!
[Reply]
lewdog 08:17 PM 12-06-2023
That's free money!
God fucking dammit!!!!

:-)
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 08:39 PM 12-06-2023
That's free money!
God ****ing dammit!!!!

:-)
There's a guy in one discord I follow that put 250K each on CONY,TSLY,QQQY, IWMY

CONY was at $21 at the time. His dividend for CONY alone on 12/13 will be $29,285

CONY is currently over $25 and it paid over $1 each of the last two months
[Reply]
lewdog 10:12 AM 12-17-2023
My retirement accounts are at all time highs.

LFG!!!!!
[Reply]
Buehler445 10:50 AM 12-17-2023

LFG!!!!!
I haven't been actively trading anything, but in passing my brokerage account has seen a good bump.

I need to look and see what my retirement accounts are doing.
[Reply]
Rain Man 06:36 PM 12-18-2023

LFG!!!!!
This has been a great rally, and a great year overall. We had the painful drop in the third quarter, but the other three far more than made up for it.

And at my Christmas dinner this year, I'm going to give thanks for buying a lot of NVDA a couple of years ago.
[Reply]
lewdog 07:44 PM 12-18-2023
This recent vertical move is pretty insane. Almost no pullbacks for weeks on the indexes. Kind of insane.
[Reply]
Shag 08:20 PM 12-18-2023
I'm sitting on a good chunk of cash currently, as a result of the VMW to AVGO acquisition. Looking to get that money back in the market, into a relatively safe investment available at Etrade. Suggestions?
[Reply]
Bearcat 09:16 PM 12-18-2023
My financial guy pulled money out of stocks and into less risky places at basically the low point at the end of October.... and of course now or even a couple weeks ago it seemed dumb to just move back and forth, especially with all the speculation right now.

I might fire my financial guy.
[Reply]
Page 916 of 934
« First < 416816866906912913914915916 917918919920926 > Last »
Up