ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3856 of 3903
« First < 2856335637563806384638523853385438553856 38573858385938603866 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
eDave 06:31 PM 01-05-2022
Originally Posted by stanleychief:
I was sick the last two weeks with what I thought was the flu. I went to a drive up Covid testing location and had two nasal swabs done. One was for the rapid antigen test, and the other goes off to a lab for a PCR test if the antigen test is negative. Both came back negative. It's strange, because I lost my sense of smell, which is usually a giveaway sign for Covid.

I ran across a few articles that were talking about nasal swabbing returning false negative results for Omicron. Instead, a throat swab is also being recommended by a few doctors.

Is a throat swab with a nose swab a better way to detect omicron?

It makes me wonder if this 'flu' that I had was actually the omicron variant.
I have what you have and since before Christmas. I've just assumed it as Omnicron. Haven't been tested or whatever because it doesn't matter what I have. I'm just sick.
[Reply]
Bearcat 06:32 PM 01-05-2022
I don't understand how things have been status quo for hospitals for two fucking years now with no fundamental changes in how they accept and deny patients and deal with capacity.

And I'm not saying it's as easy as denying unvaccinated Covid patients or there is a simple solution.... but good god, it's been two years. (well, almost)... and we keep doing the same shit like nothing is wrong.
[Reply]
Chief Roundup 07:02 PM 01-05-2022
Originally Posted by Bearcat:
I don't understand how things have been status quo for hospitals for two fucking years now with no fundamental changes in how they accept and deny patients and deal with capacity.

And I'm not saying it's as easy as denying unvaccinated Covid patients or there is a simple solution.... but good god, it's been two years. (well, almost)... and we keep doing the same shit like nothing is wrong.
This was not believed to be "here forever". It was believed that there would only be a short term need, for several reasons.
I am not sure that you and or others understand what is required to accept more and more Covid positive patients. What the liability is for turning away any patient.
[Reply]
Bearcat 07:18 PM 01-05-2022
Originally Posted by Chief Roundup:
This was not believed to be "here forever". It was believed that there would only be a short term need, for several reasons.
I am not sure that you and or others understand what is required to accept more and more Covid positive patients. What the liability is for turning away any patient.
Sure, with the first wave, there wasn't supposed to be a 2nd wave. Then with the 2nd wave, it wasn't supposed to survive another summer.... but what about waves 3 and 4 (I think we're up to), and eventually saying what the fuck are we going to do if this continues?!

And there are already countless stories about patients being turned away or sitting in waiting rooms or in beds in hallways for hours on end.... again, not saying there is a single simple solution, but would expect something to be happening by now (and maybe there is and I just haven't seen it or we aren't privy to it).
[Reply]
Chief Roundup 07:29 PM 01-05-2022
Sure, with the first wave, there wasn't supposed to be a 2nd wave. Then with the 2nd wave, it wasn't supposed to survive another summer.... but what about waves 3 and 4 (I think we're up to), and eventually saying what the fuck are we going to do if this continues?!

And there are already countless stories about patients being turned away or sitting in waiting rooms or in beds in hallways for hours on end.... again, not saying there is a single simple solution, but would expect something to be happening by now (and maybe there is and I just haven't seen it or we aren't privy to it).
What would you think any of those solutions would entail? Build additional wings for the extra capacity needed? Do you realize how long, years, that would take? Where is all of that money going to come from? Hospitals, such as the one that I am employed at, have already rented every empty, vacant, or run down hotel/motel in the county. Those facilities do not have proper anything for medical care. It is easier to transport mobile equipment to those places than it is to remodel the entire facilities, the owners don't want that either, where there could be oxygen, medical air, medical vacuum just for starters. The construction requirements for medical buildings super exceed 99% of all other building types.
[Reply]
keg in kc 08:15 PM 01-05-2022
I've been hospitalized for two months. The first hospital I was only in for a half a day. I ended up in the second hospital, as i was told by staff from the first on my way out of the first, because it was the only available bed they could find in the entire KC metro at a facility with the staff and equipment I needed as a stroke. Because according to them (no way for me to verify) the area had been swamped with covid patients from south Dakota. But in my mind, I nearly died of my stroke, and had it happened because of that, I would have been literally killed by covid without ever even contracting it

I am in a rehab facility now for more intense therapy, there has been a small so far recent outbreak here, and now this place is back on strict protocols for everyone, staff, patient or visitor.

I am very good friends with a nurse from the second hospital now, and things are getting pretty rough for her there.

Just some personal anecdotes....
[Reply]
Chiefspants 08:19 PM 01-05-2022
Originally Posted by keg in kc:
I've been hospitalized for two months. The first hospital I was only in for a half a day. I ended up in the second hospital, as i was told by staff from the first on my way out of the first, because it was the only available bed they could find in the entire KC metro at a facility with the staff and equipment I needed as a stroke. Because according to them (no way for me to verify) the area had been swamped with covid patients from south Dakota. But in my mind, I nearly died of my stroke, and had it happened because of that, I would have been literally killed by covid without ever even contracting it

I am in a rehab facility now for more intense therapy, there has been a small so far recent outbreak here, and now this place is back on strict protocols for everyone, staff, patient or visitor.

I am very good friends with a nurse from the second hospital now, and things are getting pretty rough for her there.

Holy crap, dude. So sorry you've had that experience. How is the therapy going?
[Reply]
Katipan 08:24 PM 01-05-2022
Originally Posted by keg in kc:

Do you need anything? I can pack a box. ❤
[Reply]
Bearcat 08:27 PM 01-05-2022
What would you think any of those solutions would entail? Build additional wings for the extra capacity needed? Do you realize how long, years, that would take? Where is all of that money going to come from? Hospitals, such as the one that I am employed at, have already rented every empty, vacant, or run down hotel/motel in the county. Those facilities do not have proper anything for medical care. It is easier to transport mobile equipment to those places than it is to remodel the entire facilities, the owners don't want that either, where there could be oxygen, medical air, medical vacuum just for starters. The construction requirements for medical buildings super exceed 99% of all other building types.
Apologies if my post came off differently than intended... I didn't have a specific ax to grind or people to blame or whatever, it was mostly venting.

Typically when things are at a 'something's got to give' level of crap, something gives... and in corporate America, if that thing is expensive enough, it gets a lot of attention.

And it's just very disheartening to read the same news over and over as 'something gave' almost two years ago.
[Reply]
Chief Roundup 08:44 PM 01-05-2022
Apologies if my post came off differently than intended... I didn't have a specific ax to grind or people to blame or whatever, it was mostly venting.

Typically when things are at a 'something's got to give' level of crap, something gives... and in corporate America, if that thing is expensive enough, it gets a lot of attention.

And it's just very disheartening to read the same news over and over as 'something gave' almost two years ago.
Apologies if my post came across in a way not intended also. I can see where it could have seemed that way. At the hospital, I work at we "repurposed" 75 rooms for Covid. That means that there are 75 rooms that cannot be used for anything else. All Covid rooms have to be "negative pressure" to ensure that the virus cannot spread within the facility. To make those rooms negative pressure we had to remove the windows and install Lexan with a weather, insect, and vermin proof exterior hood, they look like an oversized dryer vent. Due to this if we have an available bed Covid patients come to us from anywhere within the state or from outside the state for overflow.
That also means that we have less capacity for all of the medical needs prior to Covid. It means that some cancer patients have to recuperate from home instead of getting the care that they really need.
[Reply]
Bearcat 08:55 PM 01-05-2022
Apologies if my post came across in a way not intended also. I can see where it could have seemed that way. At the hospital, I work at we "repurposed" 75 rooms for Covid. That means that there are 75 rooms that cannot be used for anything else. All Covid rooms have to be "negative pressure" to ensure that the virus cannot spread within the facility. To make those rooms negative pressure we had to remove the windows and install Lexan with a weather, insect, and vermin proof exterior hood, they look like an oversized dryer vent. Due to this if we have an available bed Covid patients come to us from anywhere within the state or from outside the state for overflow.
That also means that we have less capacity for all of the medical needs prior to Covid. It means that some cancer patients have to recuperate from home instead of getting the care that they really need.
The hospital here did that as well (at least during the first surge)... it wasn't many rooms, but looked like something out of ET, having to even zipper in and out. And I know hospitals have made huge strides in telehealth, plus reducing or eliminating elective surgeries, stories about new ICU units being "built" in parking garages; but battling against nurse shortages and other human or physical resources. A lot of lessons learned from the first surge (and I'm sure the 2nd, 3rd, 4th...), yet only so much they can do.

It's insane.
[Reply]
keg in kc 09:02 PM 01-05-2022
To those who asked Everything is going great for me so far. I have recovered very quickly according to pretty much everyone I work with. I have a follow up appointment with neurology later this week but I don't expect anything negative with that.

I feel bad sometimes, there are patients in here, some younger, who had their brain injuries after mine who can't get around much at all, much less as well as I do. I'm actuallycompletely unassisted now, free roam everywhere without a wheelchair or a walker or a cane or anything. Basically just need to work on strength and endurance.
[Reply]
stanleychief 10:35 PM 01-05-2022
Originally Posted by eDave:
I have what you have and since before Christmas. I've just assumed it as Omnicron. Haven't been tested or whatever because it doesn't matter what I have. I'm just sick.
I had Delta in October. My wife never got sick or tested positive for Delta, despite being in close contact with me. Her Moderna shots worked wonders. My J&J shot did not. Delta knocked me on my ass for a few days, and hung around for several weeks. My lungs didn't feel 100% for about a month and a half.

Whatever this was, it hit quick, but not nearly as bad as Delta. It also didn't last very long. I had a pretty scratchy throat and that irritating cough that goes with it. No fever or chills though, and very little stuff happened in my lungs. My O2 levels were never below 95.

As for my wife, this time around, she got sick as well. This stuff hit her harder than it did me. She had some minor breathing difficulty and lost her sense of smell for three days. She also tested negative for Covid on a nasal PCR test.

I don't really care too much what this actually was either, other than to satisfy my own curiosity. I have elderly parents, so I had to avoid them over Christmas. Whether it was the flu or Covid, I used my best judgement to stay away.

Hope you get well soon!
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 10:55 PM 01-05-2022
Honestly, it's been pretty shocking how healthy my family has been. We send our 3 kids to schools daily. They all play sports against kids from all over and have practices several nights per week. I'm out and about daily and teach 120 or so University kids. NONE of us has been sick in the past year plus.

To provide context, I had covid a year ago September (most likely caught it from a student). None of my family members have had it, though. Since then, I've got 2 Pfizers plus a booster, as has my wife. All of our kids have 2 Pfizers. We also get flu shots yearly.

We're typically healthy, but this has seemed odd with seemingly everyone else falling like flies.
[Reply]
Monticore 07:33 AM 01-06-2022
just a bunch of rando COVID articles, i think it is time for them to abandon total case counts and just focus on COVID hospitalization numbers, this wave seems to be cause staff shortages due to sickness than hospitalization issues overwhelming hospitals in a different way.

Why COVID-19 hospitalizations of Canadian kids — and infants — could keep rising as Omicron spreads

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/health/med...sLZ?li=AAggNb9

Ontario hospitals urge pregnant people to get vaccine, cite infant COVID admissions

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/lifestyle/...zum?li=AAggFp5

Omicron and living with COVID: Why the new variant might change the timeline

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/health/med...h2B?li=AAggNb9

Omicron could boost waning immunity, shown in blood: Gov't COVID-19 advisers.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canad...la2?li=AAggNb9
[Reply]
Page 3856 of 3903
« First < 2856335637563806384638523853385438553856 38573858385938603866 > Last »
Up