ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 10 of 20
« First < 678910 11121314 > Last »
Media Center>Top gun trailer
DJ's left nut 08:31 AM 06-06-2022
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
Saw it today. They had every cliche imaginable making an appearance in this movie. Every person in this film was predictable as were their actions. Yet, it was still entertaining.

Using real DOD F-18’s and the access that the DOD allowed made this movie unlike any before it. You didn’t need CGI to show the action or speed of the jets. Best dog fights ever filmed.
Yup.

You and Frazod are absolutely correct - there was nothing from a story perspective that made that movie unique. And frankly, I want to go see it removed from the 'burden' of watching the story just so I can appreciate the cinematography.

Because that's what truly made the movie.

To me it was a lot like Dunkirk. Dunkirk is a fairly dull, lifeless movie on television. But on a large screen it was incredible. Maverick is the same animal.
[Reply]
Frazod 11:04 AM 06-06-2022
I guess I should point out that one of my criticisms is unfounded in the modern Navy - a pilot/RIO can wear glasses or contacts if his/her vision is correctable to 20/20. That wasn't the case when I was in, but of course I was in when the first movie came out in the mid 80s. I thought they just put glasses on Bob to make his dorky character even dorkier. While it was a small thing, it was enough to set off my Navy veteran bullshit alarm.

Anyway, I was wrong on that point. I stand by the rest of them, though.
[Reply]
notorious 11:07 AM 06-06-2022
Originally Posted by Frazod:
I guess I should point out that one of my criticisms is unfounded in the modern Navy - a pilot/RIO can wear glasses or contacts if his/her vision is correctable to 20/20. That wasn't the case when I was in, but of course I was in when the first movie came out in the mid 80s. I thought they just put glasses on Bob to make his dorky character even dorkier. While it was a small thing, it was enough to set off my Navy veteran bullshit alarm.

Anyway, I was wrong on that point. I stand by the rest of them, though.
This was THE reason I didn't join the AF or Navy.

I wanted at least a shot at making the flight program. They said nope, but still pushed hard since my test scores were fantastic.

Fuck em'
[Reply]
Frazod 11:20 AM 06-06-2022
Originally Posted by notorious:
This was THE reason I didn't join the AF or Navy.

I wanted at least a shot at making the flight program. They said nope, but still pushed hard since my test scores were fantastic.

Fuck em'
I still kind of question it, though. I mean, with all the violent physical forces at play on somebody flying a fighter, it seems kind of chancy. I've known people to lose contacts or have their glasses break/shift from a variety of things infinitely more gentle than five G barrel rolls.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 11:28 AM 06-06-2022
love a good naval expose from frazod :-)
[Reply]
Frazod 11:35 AM 06-06-2022
Admittedly, my only real experience with naval aviation was when a carrier my ship was alongside in the Med during an UNREP (resupplying by lines and helos) scrambled its ready fighters as we performed an emergency breakaway when a Russian cruiser steamed directly ahead of us and stopped.

The Russian ship moved out of way. Quickly. :-) They fucked with us like that sometimes. I'm sure we did the same to them.

That shit was LOUD, too.
[Reply]
Bowser 03:04 PM 06-06-2022
And here my dumb ass was thinking the actors actually got to fly the planes after watching this and the training they went through, lol.

Even if they didn't fly them it's impressive they were in there and dealing with those G's.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 03:30 PM 06-06-2022
Originally Posted by Bowser:
And here my dumb ass was thinking the actors actually got to fly the planes after watching this and the training they went through, lol.

Even if they didn't fly them it's impressive they were in there and dealing with those G's.
Wait...what?!?

You thought they just tossed Miles Teller the keys to an F-18 and said "bring 'er back in one piece..."

My understanding is that Cruise can actually fly and that he actually flew that trainer in the scene at the end with Jennifer Connelly. But that part of the Navy allowing them to use the real Hornets was a strict "Tom Cruise can't touch ANYTHING" requirement because...well, his reputation precedes him.

The guys just balls to the walls - but there's no way they're giving a pile of actors control of a fighter jet.
[Reply]
Bowser 04:15 PM 06-06-2022
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Wait...what?!?

You thought they just tossed Miles Teller the keys to an F-18 and said "bring 'er back in one piece..."

My understanding is that Cruise can actually fly and that he actually flew that trainer in the scene at the end with Jennifer Connelly. But that part of the Navy allowing them to use the real Hornets was a strict "Tom Cruise can't touch ANYTHING" requirement because...well, his reputation precedes him.

The guys just balls to the walls - but there's no way they're giving a pile of actors control of a fighter jet.
I mean, I figured it was a retired F/18 drug out of mothballs :-)

Let me be excited and a live self constructed fantasy life vicariously, damn you.
[Reply]
Frazod 04:23 PM 06-06-2022
Wait...what?!?

The “trainer” is a P-51 Mustang, and it’s actually owned by Cruise.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 04:25 PM 06-06-2022
Originally Posted by Frazod:
The “trainer” is a P-51 Mustang, and it’s actually owned by Cruise.
Yeah, I realized that when I found the Cordrey video.

So I definitely did it a bit of a disservice, to say the least.

I'll be honest - it's smaller than I expected. I remember seeing the fighters on the carrier in San Diego and thinking they were enormous compared to what I expected. But when they were working on/climbing into that Mustang in the movie - it was just...little.

I guess it doesn't have to be as big without jet engines hooked to it and no missiles (pretty sure they didn't even have rockets on those, correct?)
[Reply]
Megatron96 12:35 AM 06-07-2022
Yeah, I realized that when I found the Cordrey video.

So I definitely did it a bit of a disservice, to say the least.

I'll be honest - it's smaller than I expected. I remember seeing the fighters on the carrier in San Diego and thinking they were enormous compared to what I expected. But when they were working on/climbing into that Mustang in the movie - it was just...little.

I guess it doesn't have to be as big without jet engines hooked to it and no missiles (pretty sure they didn't even have rockets on those, correct?)
Actually, the P-51D made about 1,750 BHP on WEP and had an initial max climb rate of about 4,000ft/min. For comparison, a modern 737 has a max climb rate of 3,000ft/min. It had a top speed of over 440 mph.

But yeah, the Mustang is not a very big airplane.
[Reply]
O.city 03:39 PM 06-06-2022
Saw it last night. Enjoyed it.

No chance I could withstand the force of pilots. Just not a club in my bag for that.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 03:44 PM 06-06-2022
Yes - it appears Tom Cruise can definitely fly a P-51 as well as an actual 'fighter' style jet.

James Corden is an annoying pain in the ass but Tom Cruise is just wild as hell, man.

EDIT: From what I can find that's an Aero L-39 Albatros. Max Speed is in the 500 mph range with a 36K ft ceiling and a climb rate around 21 m/s; can pull a hair over 6 Gs.

So it ain't a Raptor or anything but it does not fuck around.
[Reply]
notorious 04:05 PM 06-06-2022
Yes - it appears Tom Cruise can definitely fly a P-51 as well as an actual 'fighter' style jet.

James Corden is an annoying pain in the ass but Tom Cruise is just wild as hell, man.

EDIT: From what I can find that's an Aero L-39 Albatros. Max Speed is in the 500 mph range with a 36K ft ceiling and a climb rate around 21 m/s; can pull a hair over 6 Gs.

So it ain't a Raptor or anything but it does not **** around.
I'm going to guess it can climb faster than that. :-)

(Nevermind, I'm used to meter or feet/minute)
[Reply]
Page 10 of 20
« First < 678910 11121314 > Last »
Up