ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 221 of 284
« First < 121171211217218219220221 222223224225231271 > Last »
Media Center>*The NEW Movies Thread*
Bowser 11:09 AM 01-04-2014
Old one is crapping out the server, per the new guidelines.

Browse the old thread that is chock full of goodness here -

http://chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=172245
[Reply]
DeepPurple 03:09 PM 02-06-2020
Originally Posted by Mennonite:
The Last Jedi and The Shape of Water.

Folks, this kind of shit is why I don't watch many modern movies. Both were just laughably bad.
The Last Jedi I haven't seen, haven't watched a Star Wars movie since '84, not my cup of tea. I'm more into Alien and Aliens, more gritty sci-fi films. However, The Shape of Water is in my top 10 and maybe even my all-time favorite.

The Shape of Water has suspense, intrigue, it had atmosphere of the 1950's or 1960's, it has a real monster, it's a great villain in Michael Shannon, and the heroine was mute, someone who's is always put down and yet she has compassion for the creature. It brings out the same feelings like a Forrest Gump. Maybe it's a generation thing, I'm 69 and have seen thousands of films, many bad and many good. My favorite all time film is Chinatown from '74. I guess I'm not alone, The Shape of Water did win Best Picture Oscar.

[Reply]
Mennonite 07:21 PM 02-06-2020
Chinatown is awesome.

Last night I watched The Sisters Brothers and Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark.
[Reply]
DeepPurple 08:21 AM 02-07-2020
Chinatown is awesome.

Last night I watched The Sisters Brothers and Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark.
I've been wanting to see Sisters Brothers. Netflix doesn't have it and it's has not played on any of the premium channels I have, HBO, showtime etc.
[Reply]
patteeu 08:30 AM 02-07-2020
Originally Posted by DeepPurple:
I've been wanting to see Sisters Brothers. Netflix doesn't have it and it's has not played on any of the premium channels I have, HBO, showtime etc.
I think it's on Amazon Prime if you have that.
[Reply]
Mennonite 10:11 AM 02-07-2020
Originally Posted by DeepPurple:
It's an odd movie. It feels sort of like you have an extremely quirky script and the actors play it in a more straightforward way than it needs to be or just the opposite where you have a serious script and the actors play it in a quirky manner. I don't know. I like more traditional westerners so it didn't really work for me, and it wasn't strange enough to become a fun "weird" western tale.

There are some talented actors in it, but their performances seem a little stilted. The fight scenes aren't filmed in a very interesting manner either. Maybe the fault lies with the direction?

There is some very nice scenery however. And you get a surprise appearance by Carol Kane at the end.
[Reply]
heapshake 11:14 AM 02-07-2020
It's an odd movie. It feels sort of like you have an extremely quirky script and the actors play it in a more straightforward way than it needs to be or just the opposite where you have a serious script and the actors play it in a quirky manner. I don't know. I like more traditional westerners so it didn't really work for me, and it wasn't strange enough to become a fun "weird" western tale.
That pretty much matches my feelings about it. I thought I would love this but something was just off about it. It isn't horrible or even bad - it is just off.
[Reply]
heapshake 11:29 AM 02-07-2020
i watched The Turning. It is horrible. I wasn't a big fan of The Innocents but this version is just wrong. The acting is fine and Brooklyn Prince is adorable. Basically it is a creepy kid and a bunch of dream sequences (presented as reality until waking up) and the ending is something else.
[Reply]
Mennonite 11:57 AM 02-07-2020
What didn't you like about The Innocents?

Im watching 47 Meters Down: Uncaged right now. Pretty generic stuff. No tits so far either. How can a cgi shark in 2019 look less realistic than a rubber shark from 1975?
[Reply]
heapshake 03:23 PM 02-07-2020
What didn't you like about The Innocents?..
I really don't remember - when I think about it I just don't remember it fondly - but I looked on letterboxd and I gave it a heart so I must have liked it when I watched it. It hadn't crossed my mind until I was 5 minutes into The Turning.

Im watching 47 Meters Down: Uncaged right now. Pretty generic stuff. No tits so far either. How can a cgi shark in 2019 look less realistic than a rubber shark from 1975?
I liked it (somewhat). The plot is ridiculous but I like claustrophobic horror. I enjoyed Crawl more but it was a fun watch.
[Reply]
Mennonite 07:11 AM 02-08-2020
mother! (2017)

An allegory apparently. It's one of those movies you watch to see wtf is actually going on and then when you get to the end you still don't have a fucking clue.

I thought it was an ineffectual allegory about a struggling writer juggling a conflicting group of characters in an imaginary home. Actually it's an ineffectual allegory that "depicts the rape and torment of Mother Earth ... I (Jennifer Lawrence) represent Mother Earth; Javier, whose character is a poet, represents a form of God"
[Reply]
ThaVirus 08:59 AM 02-08-2020
Toy Story 4 was just OK in my book. I really thought the new character Forkey was fucking hilarious for some reason, but this one was probably the worst of the Toy Story bunch.
[Reply]
Stryker 09:31 PM 02-08-2020
Just watched "Midway" I enjoyed it. Saw "1917" still on the fence. SW Last Jedi was ok b/c they tied what they could all together - very hard task.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 04:03 AM 02-09-2020
Originally Posted by sully1983:
I highly recommend seeing Uncut Gems in theaters folks. It was sensational and Adam Sandler gives a great great performance in it (Kevin Garnett was pretty good too and played a key role).
Upstages Oscars with a helluva speech.

[Reply]
sully1983 11:46 PM 02-09-2020
mother! (2017)

An allegory apparently. It's one of those movies you watch to see wtf is actually going on and then when you get to the end you still don't have a ****ing clue.

I thought it was an ineffectual allegory about a struggling writer juggling a conflicting group of characters in an imaginary home. Actually it's an ineffectual allegory that "depicts the rape and torment of Mother Earth ... I (Jennifer Lawrence) represent Mother Earth; Javier, whose character is a poet, represents a form of God"
Ah yes, this is a good ol' Darren Aronofsky film that left me quite shook when I saw it in theaters. The 3rd act is so batshit insane that I went with it. Wild film.
[Reply]
DeepPurple 04:03 PM 02-10-2020
Originally Posted by sully1983:
Ah yes, this is a good ol' Darren Aronofsky film that left me quite shook when I saw it in theaters. The 3rd act is so batshit insane that I went with it. Wild film.
The thing with Darren Aronofsky is he directed Black Swan, the Wrestler and Requiem for a Dream, three films I gave 10 stars. What went wrong?

BTW, has any person outside of Hollywood seen Parasite? That reminds me of the Japanese film from 1985 "Ran". It was nominated for 4 Academy Awards and won best costume. Not one video store in Savannah had a copy, I ended renting the film in '89 when I moved to Atlanta and could find it. It was an incredible battle scenes on horses and great costumes. It's worth seeing, sort like the opening of Gladiator but the whole film.

[Reply]
Page 221 of 284
« First < 121171211217218219220221 222223224225231271 > Last »
Up