ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 4 of 4
< 1234
Nzoner's Game Room>DNS Issues?
stanleychief 09:44 PM 06-23-2022
I tried to load up the site and got a message that chiefsplanet.com was not found. Did a DNS lookup and got the same. Did someone hijack the domain, or was something removed that shouldn't have been?

I added a DNS entry in my hosts file to get here.
[Reply]
suzzer99 05:43 PM 06-24-2022
Same for me, it was down for a day if I kept trying to reload https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1 in the same tab.

But then I shortened it to https://www.chiefsplanet.com and magically chrome figured out to recheck the DNS or something.
[Reply]
dirk digler 05:55 PM 06-24-2022
It is always DNS
[Reply]
Donger 05:57 PM 06-24-2022
Just reboot it three times. Works like a charm.
[Reply]
Bowser 06:20 PM 06-24-2022
Originally Posted by Donger:
Just reboot it three times. Works like a charm.
*clear cookies and defragment first
[Reply]
BryanBusby 06:39 PM 06-24-2022

Originally Posted by Detoxing:
Godaddy is fucking AWFUL.

God i hate them so much. Bunch of incompetent fuck sticks....
Fucking this. GoDaddy should never get any money.
[Reply]
Pablo 06:42 PM 06-24-2022
Yeah, had a big problem with billay and DNS this morning. Met him in the Hawaiian Bros parking lot off Noland Rd about 10am and he DNS(Did not suck).
[Reply]
stanleychief 10:15 PM 06-24-2022
Originally Posted by Bowser:
And how about a round of applause for stanleychief for cracking 1K posts after 20 years here! All it took was ChiefsPlanet taking an unexpected dump to push him over the threshold! :-)
Why thank you! I couldn't think of a better way of celebrating than to track down a technical issue. Story of my life. :-)
[Reply]
stanleychief 10:16 PM 06-24-2022
Originally Posted by Bearcat:
I can respect a guy who only wants to come around when he knows other IT geeks will be the only ones here.
Crap. They're on to me..
[Reply]
Bearcat 10:20 PM 06-24-2022
Originally Posted by stanleychief:
Crap. They're on to me..
Can you take down the DNS servers again the next time the Chiefs lose in the playoffs? It would be nice to have some peace and quiet.
[Reply]
stanleychief 01:01 AM 06-25-2022
Originally Posted by Bearcat:
Can you take down the DNS servers again the next time the Chiefs lose in the playoffs? It would be nice to have some peace and quiet.
I'll have to make friends with someone at GoDaddy. It won't be pleasant though. They're kind of like the Denver Broncos of web hosting.
[Reply]
Monty 01:55 AM 06-25-2022
Well done. :-)
[Reply]
AustinChief 07:55 AM 06-25-2022
Originally Posted by stanleychief:
I'll have to make friends with someone at GoDaddy. It won't be pleasant though. They're kind of like the Denver Broncos of web hosting.
Just an FYI, we do NOT host at GoDaddy, they are just the Registrar. We host a dedicated server through a company called OVH.

Speaking of servers, we are actually in the early stages of a server upgrade. The main difference between the new server and this one will be SSD drives which should speed up the DB access.

I'm still waiting on the new server to be online then I expect it to take 4 or 5 days to migrate everything over. Hoping we are ready to go by July.
[Reply]
stanleychief 11:56 AM 06-25-2022
Originally Posted by AustinChief:
Just an FYI, we do NOT host at GoDaddy, they are just the Registrar. We host a dedicated server through a company called OVH.

Speaking of servers, we are actually in the early stages of a server upgrade. The main difference between the new server and this one will be SSD drives which should speed up the DB access.

I'm still waiting on the new server to be online then I expect it to take 4 or 5 days to migrate everything over. Hoping we are ready to go by July.
Awwww yeah! SSD should help a lot. Even more so if they are NVMe.

FWIW, I figured you weren't using them for hosting. I put GoDaddy hosting in the same bucket as 1&1 and Wix.. good for a mom & pop website with little demand and budget.

GoDaddy at least seemed competent at DNS. I've heard more than one story recently to suggest otherwise though.

OVH seems pretty reasonably priced. You said you are using a dedicated server? I like the unlimited, metered, 500Mbps bandwidth limit they offer on their lower end plans. Seems pretty reasonable.

I've currently got a custom server that I colocate here in Kansas City at Joe's Datacenter. Love that place. Super friendly staff, and I can pop in whenever something isn't working right. I think it's costing me something silly like $35/month for 1Gbps and 20TB data. More than enough for what I use it for.

Best of luck with the server upgrade!
[Reply]
Page 4 of 4
< 1234
Up