ChiefsPlanet Mobile
View Poll Results: Would you eat a goat?
Yes - I've had goat meat and would eat it again 45 66.18%
Yes - I've not had goat meat but would at least try it 15 22.06%
No - I've had it and didn't care for it 3 4.41%
No - I wouldn't eat goat meat 2 2.94%
Depends how far into the apocalype we are 3 4.41%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll
Page 2 of 5
< 12 345 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Goat Meat - Would You?
Mephistopheles Janx 06:08 PM 06-23-2022
Have you eaten goat/chevron and if so... how did you like it and how did it compare, in your opinion, to beef?

Would you eat goat/chevron?

---

But... why?

Meat prices are skyrocketing and who the hell knows if it will even be feasible to even afford to buy meat and/or if it will even be available. I'm not thinking in a conspiracy theorist "the world government is going to make people stop eating meat" kinda way. Just in a cost and general availability kinda way.

I just picked up 5 goats (4 registered "Fainting" goats and a ND weather) and the intention is that these are going to be my friends and pets. Their children OTOH... the pretty ones sell (they can go from $300-$500 a piece) and the ones that don't hang around for 5 months then go into the freezer with all organs, scraps, and a lot of the stew meat being gathered and going to the dogs.

4 pictured, one getting here today

Ok, but... why GOATS?

2 big reasons.

1) I'm out here on this homestead all by myself now and the last thing I need is to get sideswiped by an animal considerably larger than me and while cows tend to be docile... I'm just not willing to risk it.

I chose Myotonic goats specifically because they tend to be friendly and are among the smallest of the meat goats. Plus, the fact that they stiffen up when spooked makes it that much easier to chase them down if they slip out.

2) $$$ They eat 30-40% less than cows do per pound of meat produced meaning I have more than enough hay to feed them year around with no issues. Also, they are considerably less expensive than cows in terms of cost for the actual animal itself.

I'll be butchering them myself thus will not incur any processing fees.
[Reply]
R Clark 07:56 PM 06-23-2022
I’ve ate it not bad if done right. But beef is by far superior . Don’t be intimidated by beef cause of size , you can handle them just don’t go to local sale barn and buy someone’s crazy ass junk.
[Reply]
Fish 08:03 PM 06-23-2022
It's one of my favorite dishes at the local Indian buffet I frequent.
[Reply]
TrebMaxx 08:13 PM 06-23-2022
I hope Patrick Mahomes II doesn't see this thread.
[Reply]
BWillie 08:17 PM 06-23-2022
Absolutely. I will eat the shit out of any land bearing animal.
[Reply]
loochy 08:24 PM 06-23-2022
Originally Posted by RealSNR:
Would you eat a goat’s ASSHOLE?
Only if it's deep fried and battered
[Reply]
hometeam 08:45 PM 06-23-2022
goat meat is good i didnt even know this was a question
[Reply]
Mephistopheles Janx 08:51 PM 06-23-2022
Originally Posted by hometeam:
goat meat is good i didnt even know this was a question
My wife couldn't fathom the idea of eating a goat. She had finally relented after watching several youtube videos of families eating goat meat but even then she was hesitant.

Now that it is just me... I'm gonna have more chicken, eggs, and red meat than I will be able to consume on my own. Thus the idea of feeding the dogs from the animals here.
[Reply]
Mephistopheles Janx 08:54 PM 06-23-2022
Originally Posted by mlyonsd:
Goat cheese. :-)
Agreed... not my favorite at all though a properly made manchego is pretty dang good. There will be no milking of these girls... that is strictly for the babies.

Originally Posted by R Clark:
I’ve ate it not bad if done right. But beef is by far superior . Don’t be intimidated by beef cause of size , you can handle them just don’t go to local sale barn and buy someone’s crazy ass junk.
I'm still gonna have beef. My step-father grew up on a ranch and his 83 year old father is still running cattle on horseback. I get gift packages of beef from the family every now and then.

Perhaps one day I will mess with a cow but for now... I need to ensure that I'm not gonna have a critter take me out at the knees and there is fuck-all I can do about it.
[Reply]
Mephistopheles Janx 08:55 PM 06-23-2022
Originally Posted by mililo4cpa:
Ironically enough, just today, a friend of mine volunteered to go buy a goat shoulder if I would smoke it....

Having had goat on a few occasions, that is an easy "yes" for me.....
I'd be curious to know what a goat shoulder sells for... and where the hell you can get one in KC.
[Reply]
BWillie 09:05 PM 06-23-2022
goats r good lawn mowers
[Reply]
loochy 09:06 PM 06-23-2022
Originally Posted by BWillie:
goats r good lawn mowers

organic, grass fed, free range
[Reply]
Mephistopheles Janx 09:10 PM 06-23-2022
Originally Posted by mililo4cpa:
Ironically enough, just today, a friend of mine volunteered to go buy a goat shoulder if I would smoke it....

Having had goat on a few occasions, that is an easy "yes" for me.....
Originally Posted by loochy:
organic, grass fed, free range
:-)

It literally costs me nothing to feed them. If I do this right I, essentially, have a lifetime supply of meat for the initial investment of $1,500 (in livestock... fencing and their home was a rather pricey expense as well TBH).
[Reply]
Rain Man 09:32 PM 06-23-2022
Originally Posted by Mephistopheles Janx:
:-)

It literally costs me nothing to feed them. If I do this right I, essentially, have a lifetime supply of meat for the initial investment of $1,500 (in livestock... fencing and their home was a rather pricey expense as well TBH).
I'm really intrigued and somewhat envious of your farm, other than the fact that I could not kill an innocent goat.
[Reply]
raybec 4 10:33 PM 06-23-2022
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
I'm really intrigued and somewhat envious of your farm, other than the fact that I could not kill an innocent goat.
Goats are guilty as hell. Nothing innocent about those little bastards. They deserve to be eaten.
[Reply]
Fish 10:42 PM 06-23-2022
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
All goats beyond like 10 months old are total jerks. They don't care.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 5
< 12 345 >
Up