ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 6 of 33
« First < 23456 7891016 > Last »
Media Center>Star Trek: Strange New Worlds
Bowser 06:57 PM 04-03-2022
Maybe it's overkill having a thread for this, but meh.

[Reply]
Frazod 12:39 PM 06-13-2022
Originally Posted by lawrenceRaider:

Interesting. We rewatched Dune on Saturday.

Noticed the same thing.
Not to hijack the Star Trek thread, but I must say, I enjoyed Dune far more upon a second viewing at home than I did at the theater, and I really liked it when I saw it in the theater. A combination of the overloud score/sound effects and my crappy hearing caused me to initially miss a lot of dialogue that the captions filled in.

I really wish theaters would provide showings with closed captions.
[Reply]
Megatron96 02:54 PM 06-13-2022
Beginning to really like this series.

It is very reminiscent of the original series in its writing, music, even the camera work, but with a subtle modern twist here and there. If they can keep it up and not go postal with the woke shit this is going to easily be my all-time second-favorite ST series. Even if Capt. Pike seems to be morphing into Kirk more and more with each episode.
[Reply]
KC_Connection 04:48 PM 06-13-2022
Originally Posted by Megatron96:

It is very reminiscent of the original series in its writing, music, even the camera work, but with a subtle modern twist here and there. If they can keep it up and not go postal with the woke shit this is going to easily be my all-time second-favorite ST series. Even if Capt. Pike seems to be morphing into Kirk more and more with each episode.
Yeah that's the best comparison, it's like an updated spin on TOS.

I also think there's an argument right now that this is the best first season of a Trek series quality wise since TOS (TNG S1 was bad and DS9 didn't start really getting rolling until later).
[Reply]
Frazod 05:16 PM 06-13-2022
Originally Posted by KC_Connection:
Yeah that's the best comparison, it's like an updated spin on TOS.

I also think there's an argument right now that this is the best first season of a Trek series quality wise since TOS (TNG S1 was bad and DS9 didn't start really getting rolling until later).
I can see that. IIRC, after suffering through the wretched pilot I didn't watch another episode of TNG until Season 3. I could probably count on one hand the number of episodes from the first and second seasons that I actually bother to ever rewatch. DS9 was fairly lame until Season 4 (hated all the Bajoran religious crap), Voyager was, well, Voyager, and I never got into Enterprise at all.

They're doing a good job so far. Still waiting for some epic space battles, though. I suspect they may be holding that back for the final episode, though.
[Reply]
listopencil 07:46 PM 06-13-2022
Originally Posted by Megatron96:

I am sure they were going for that. Right down to the bits of the original theme blended into this one.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 08:31 AM 06-14-2022
Originally Posted by Frazod:
They're doing a good job so far. Still waiting for some epic space battles, though. I suspect they may be holding that back for the final episode, though.
Good to see the Star Trek universe go back to its roots. Not perfect but its a good show.

I'm sure they are saving the big space battle for the ending. I'd also be real disappointed if we don't get a big space battle.
[Reply]
KC_Connection 09:22 PM 06-14-2022
https://www.vulture.com/article/star...orlds-yes.html

Originally Posted by :
KVA: The episodic rhythm of Strange New Worlds feels like an immense relief in the current TV landscape. It feels like such a relief that I am almost waiting, afraid, for the moment when the show suddenly abandons episodic structure and slowly bleeds into a more serialized plot. Some would be fine! A nice two-parter as a treat! But aside from the way that episodic plotting creates a solid structural framework, there’s something crucial about the way an episodic format allows Strange New Worlds to play with a variety of tones. Not every hour of the show needs to feel the same. The palette is broader, and there’s something so lovely about not knowing exactly what each new episode will feel like. I’d argue that it’s not necessarily a problem for Star Trek to be grim. The problem is when it’s grim all the time. Your point about character-based emotional through-lines fits in here, too. We can have some backstory about why Captain Pike feels haunted, but we could also have emotional through-lines about romance plots or friendships or a much broader spectrum of emotional experiences. Episodes! Are! Our! Friends!
I agree with this point made in this article. I think the episodic nature of this show is really helping it right now and it’s something you rarely see in this streaming era of television anymore.
[Reply]
listopencil 04:43 AM 06-15-2022

I agree with this point made in this article. I think the episodic nature of this show is really helping it right now and it’s something you rarely see in this streaming era of television anymore.
In an episodic format the stories have to be a little tighter and there have been some rough spots here and there when they need to move things along. Sometimes it hurts the story because the conflict has to be resolved by the end of the episode, but this last episode also shows how you can leave an open ended resolution when the ensemble cast is always traveling. That planet was fucked up? Whew! Well, we're not staying there. Oh well. It's just different and it's more like old school weekly television. That's a bit of a refreshing change.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 10:05 AM 06-15-2022

[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 06:06 AM 06-17-2022

Definitely makes it feel fresh in the current environment of every damn show being so fucking grim all the damn time. It seems there has been a race to see who can make a show with the absolute worst thing either happening, or looming over the top of the show.
[Reply]
Bowser 12:53 PM 06-17-2022
I enjoyed the latest episode, but I'm kind of feeling that it was way too easy for that band of dipshits to take over the Federation flag ship.

I liked Captain Angel, though. She waltzed right over young and inexperienced Spock. I hope she returns so her, Nurse Chapell, and Number One can all get in a three way death match. For personal reasons.
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 03:42 PM 06-17-2022
Did you notice Captain Angel's Adam's Apple?
[Reply]
Bowser 04:37 PM 06-17-2022
Originally Posted by lawrenceRaider:
Did you notice Captain Angel's Adam's Apple?

[Reply]
Bowser 04:39 PM 06-17-2022
And oh yeah, I was genuinely surprised that

Spoiler!

[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 04:52 PM 06-17-2022
Originally Posted by Bowser:
Jesse James Keitel (actor who plays Captain Angel) is "non-binary". Also has a prominent Adam's Apple.
[Reply]
Page 6 of 33
« First < 23456 7891016 > Last »
Up