6 Nick Loftin, SS
7 Kyle Isbel, OF
8 Khali Lee, OF
9 Jonathan Bowlan, RHP
10 Carlos Hernedez, RHP
[Reply]
jd1020 06:57 PM 11-03-2021
Originally Posted by Titty Meat:
What's your point? Skunkhead has hung onto plenty of players for nastolgia purposes in the past.
Point being you traded a player away that wasn't going to do jack shit for the 2021 Royals and if the Royals want they can re-sign him.

You guys were bitching about acquiring him for a 1 year injury prone closer, and now you are complaining you traded away a rental in a season that ended 18 games out of a playoff spot?
[Reply]
Al Bundy 08:50 PM 11-03-2021
Originally Posted by jd1020:
Point being you traded a player away that wasn't going to do jack shit for the 2021 Royals and if the Royals want they can re-sign him.

You guys were bitching about acquiring him for a 1 year injury prone closer, and now you are complaining you traded away a rental in a season that ended 18 games out of a playoff spot?
The Royals hand was forced if they were going to trade him it would be for a player that would spend his career being a minor league filler.
[Reply]
dallaschiefsfan 09:48 PM 11-03-2021
Originally Posted by Bronco_buster2:
Anyone read the athletic? DM and Picollo interviews are in article by Alec Lewis but I don’t get it.
The basics:

1. Mondesi - they have an off-season program/plan for him that he has committed to (this is the first time for the royals to design a plan). They determined he has a sprinter-body w/ "quick-twitch fibers", similar to Tyreek Hill. The difference is Hill maxes out once a week vs. multiple games a week. He also is spending a week w/ Tosar in Florida before arriving in Surprise by January.

2. Infield - No decisions made on configuration of the infield. Will be decided March 31 is the current answer. Also, Picollo is beside himself that Lopez was not a Rawlings finalist.

3. Benintendi - seems fairly uncertain as to whether he will be with the Royals long term via an extension (or next year, if you read between the lines), despite the fact they will tender him.

4. Witt Jr. - It will be hard not to have him make the team out of ST if he plays like last Spring, given his past season in the minors.

5. Young Pitchers - they're formulating the off-season plan for each of them, but the key focus is promoting health. This part was interesting. He implied that the front office is involved in regulating Matheny and Eldred's use of the young arms...pulling them back if they felt they needed a break (in the case of Singer and Hernandez, specifically mentioned). Moore said, "We initiated it. And they understood it. And I felt that was an important growing time for us.”

6. Free agents/trades - ideally they'd like to get a top of the rotation starter, but that it would be unlikely to be a free agent. More likely a trade that could hurt. More likely, they role with what they have, "be very disciplined with our young players" and supplement by resigning a guy like Santana (who is said to have been huge in mentoring and helping Hernandez development this season) and going all in on building a "really really strong and powerful and elite championship-caliber bullpen,” Moore said.
[Reply]
BWillie 10:34 PM 11-03-2021
Originally Posted by Mecca:
This exact type of thing is why I get annoyed when people start talking about trading Melendez...Moore's recent trades are not good.
I want to trade Pratto. Melendez is the best prospect in the org in my opinion. What a bounceback yr. It was fucking amazing.
[Reply]
BWillie 10:36 PM 11-03-2021
Originally Posted by dlphg9:
World Series MVP Jorge Soler

He had 3 go ahead homers and was the 6th player to ever do that. He also hit .300. I could see someone giving him a decent contract. He turned the corner to a really nice season after he left.
What happens in five or six games is rarely statistically significant.

Fortunately for us the Padres helped us not resign Eric Hosmer.
[Reply]
Nightfyre 10:46 PM 11-03-2021
Pratto, Melendez, and Witt all need to be part of the next window. All bring elite defense and terrific offensive potential. Rather than trade for a front of the rotation guy, they need to shell out for one. If you are going to trade for anything, make it an elite centerfielder and lock down the middle of the defense for the window.

With those pieces in place, you can readily and more cheaply augment the roster for any final push scenarios.
[Reply]
Wilson8 11:11 PM 11-03-2021
Originally Posted by dallaschiefsfan:
The basics:

1. Mondesi - they have an off-season program/plan for him that he has committed to (this is the first time for the royals to design a plan). They determined he has a sprinter-body w/ "quick-twitch fibers", similar to Tyreek Hill. The difference is Hill maxes out once a week vs. multiple games a week. He also is spending a week w/ Tosar in Florida before arriving in Surprise by January. It's good that they have a program/plan. During the season Royals need to play him in a position where they have Plan B when he gets injured.

2. Infield - No decisions made on configuration of the infield. Will be decided March 31 is the current answer. Also, Picollo is beside himself that Lopez was not a Rawlings finalist. That seems fair but you know they have something in mind already.

3. Benintendi - seems fairly uncertain as to whether he will be with the Royals long term via an extension (or next year, if you read between the lines), despite the fact they will tender him. I like Benintendi. it will be interesting how this plays out for 2022 and beyond.

4. Witt Jr. - It will be hard not to have him make the team out of ST if he plays like last Spring, given his past season in the minors. No doubt.

5. Young Pitchers - they're formulating the off-season plan for each of them, but the key focus is promoting health. This part was interesting. He implied that the front office is involved in regulating Matheny and Eldred's use of the young arms...pulling them back if they felt they needed a break (in the case of Singer and Hernandez, specifically mentioned). Moore said, "We initiated it. And they understood it. And I felt that was an important growing time for us.” It's good to have someone looking after the health of the pitchers.

6. Free agents/trades - ideally they'd like to get a top of the rotation starter, but that it would be unlikely to be a free agent. More likely a trade that could hurt. More likely, they role with what they have, "be very disciplined with our young players" and supplement by resigning a guy like Santana (who is said to have been huge in mentoring and helping Hernandez development this season) and going all in on building a "really really strong and powerful and elite championship-caliber bullpen,” Moore said.
If Santana can keep improving Hernandez, please keep him for that. It will be interesting to see what kind of bullpen they are able to create. I don't think it would take more than a couple of pitchers.
I'm looking forward to seeing how the Royals develop. I am very hopeful that they will be competitive next year.
[Reply]
dlphg9 12:14 AM 11-04-2021
Originally Posted by BWillie:

He had a 64 game stretch that was damn impressive. It started before he was traded. From July 20th to Oct 3rd he had a .269 BA .362 OBP .571 SLG .934 OPS and a .260 BABIP. He had 12 2B 20 HR 40 RBIs 35 BBs 51 SOs. Extrapolate that over 162 and that comes out to 30 2B,s 51 HRs, 101 RBIs. Add that to his postseason and a team will pay for him. It won't be a huge contract, but it won't be for peanuts.

I was all for trading him and was glad they did, just putting that out there.
[Reply]
dlphg9 12:46 AM 11-04-2021
Originally Posted by BWillie:

He had a 64 game stretch that was damn impressive. It started before he was traded. From July 20th to Oct 3rd he had a .269 BA .362 OBP .571 SLG .934 OPS and a .260 BABIP. He had 12 2B 20 HR 40 RBIs 35 BBs 51 SOs. Extrapolate that over 162 and that comes out to 30 2B,s 51 HRs, 101 RBIs. Add that to his postseason and a team will pay for him. It won't be a huge contract, but it won't be for peanuts.

[Reply]
duncan_idaho 05:05 AM 11-04-2021

The Royals are apparently among the teams expected to make an offer for this guy:
https://www.prospectslive.com/prospe...g-out-of-japan

Contract expectations are in the 3-4 year/20-30M range.

Would be an exciting add and high potential for their RF spot…
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 05:21 AM 11-04-2021
And looking at this upcoming 2022 draft class, the Royals will have a great shot to land a nice talent at #9. The class is deep with college hitters, prep bats, and prep arms.

Notably, there are a bunch of college hitters with good power and speed. My crush is LSU SS/3B Jacob Berry, but there are 3-4 other college bars with similar profiles to him.

Also, Andruw Jones’ kid is in this draft. 6-3, toolsy, may be fit in CF or SS.
[Reply]
BWillie 09:27 AM 11-04-2021

Soler is in between the player he was for us and the player he was for the Braves this year.

If we didn't have Vinny and Pratto coming up, I would have said roll with the punches with Soler and keep him. Guys that hit 50 HRs don't grow on trees. And guys that don't have an elite hit tool are more prone to huge slumps. We've even seen guys like Bryce Harper go through long periods of famine. I wasn't as hard on Soler as most were here, except for his fielding. His fielding is truly terrible (in the OF)
[Reply]
ChiefsCountry 10:02 AM 11-04-2021
Originally Posted by Titty Meat:
Good job skunkhead trading away Soler

[Reply]
ChiefsCountry 10:05 AM 11-04-2021
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
The Royals are apparently among the teams expected to make an offer for this guy:
https://www.prospectslive.com/prospe...g-out-of-japan

Contract expectations are in the 3-4 year/20-30M range.

Would be an exciting add and high potential for their RF spot…
Sungwoo Lee had an interesting take on him...

Ohtani, Darvish.. Nomo, Ichiro and ShinSoo Choo are exceptional ones.
KOR/JPN players are relatively weak in power & fragile with small body frame for 162 gms in a season.
What happened to Mac Suzuki, Yabuta and Royals 1st-ever KOR-born draftee C JinHo Shin?? 🙄🧐🥴🤔 https://t.co/d65PXY1bdV

— Sungwoo Lee (@Koreanfan_KC) November 2, 2021

[Reply]
duncan_idaho 10:43 AM 11-04-2021
Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry:
Sungwoo Lee had an interesting take on him...

I don't think that take really matches up with this guy, though.

He's built like the Cardinals' Tyler O'Neill. Pretty classic RF profile.
[Reply]
Page 427 of 440
« First < 327377417423424425426427 428429430431437 > Last »
Up