ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 13 of 26
« First < 3910111213 1415161723 > Last »
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>If the Chiefs took WR Christian Watson at 30…
DJ's left nut 10:37 PM 04-01-2022
And again - it isn't to say that he's a better prospect in a vacuum - that's not typically an analysis I'll make or that I think is worth making.

I think he's a better prospect for Kansas City. I think the slight edge in athleticism as well as the way he gets his speed through short, almost violent steps, is a greater advantage in this offense than Watson's height.

I mean yeah, Hill is a lazy comparison, but that's exactly the sort of thing that made Hill such a bitch when he got his shoulders square to a defender as opposed to Hardman's speed that isn't as 'jittery'.

How a guy like Austin gets his speed and his ability to stop/start more quickly is simply more valuable to me than Watson's added height when I'm trying to put pieces around this quarterback in this system.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:54 PM 04-01-2022
One more thing, and it's a point I'm not sure I've made yet, but it involves running mechanics.

Watson is obviously very tall and long legged; he's a long-strider. Now that doesn't mean he's slow to get up to speed because he isn't. But the way he gets his speed to is just eat up turf with every stride, like say Usain Bolt. And on a track there's no downside to that at all.

But in football, with another guy trying to disrupt your stride and/or knock you off your route, it creates an issue.

I was a shitty football player (only bad ballplayer on CP) but I took to coaching well. And one thing I was always taught as a DB was that when you're alongside a receiver, what him in the hands as he's running. You'll never get a flag thrown (I never did) but as he's pumping those arms, if you have a hand down by your hip just giving him a little chuck, you'll throw his running mechanics off. You'll disrupt his stride.

Now when you're a little guy like Austin, literally every time your foot hits the ground again, your body will 'self-correct' and get you back in line. Because the movements were small and precise. You can't really get disrupted much when you're constantly correcting via small movements.

Meanwhile if you're someone that gets his speed like Watson, getting your stride disrupted just ruins the route. You're going to have a much harder time self-correcting because in that 20 yards you run (for example), you took 15 strides with larger, more levery movements. As opposed to a little sparkplug with rapid footfires like Austin who's constantly correcting.

Think of it as making a small correction to catch a skid through a turn vs. power-sliding through it. Oh sure, by the end you're still pointing the same direction, but if you're making smaller and quicker corrections in the skid, you'll come out of the corner in far better shape than if you kick the ass end out and than catch it.

If you give me 2 guys with the same speed but one of them is 6 inches shorter than the other, that shorter guy is going to have more functional 'football' speed damn near every single time.

And when you see Austin out there playing the Z at Memphis, you can see exactly what I'm talking about. People just thought they could body this little dude off his route and then they realize real fast that this guy is damn sturdy and uses that shorter stature to make himself damn near impossible to re-route.

Whereas Watson, that IS one of the concerns I've read about him. He's a guy you can knock off his route - and that's just not terribly surprising. It makes all the sense in the world when you think about the physics that have to be involved in a 6'5" guy's running mechanics.

And it won't show up on the highlights we watch because you just won't see the plays where the QB doesn't go his way on those tapes because he got taken off his route.
[Reply]
kcbubb 12:33 AM 04-02-2022
I think that’s a fair assessment of equal speed for short guys vs tall guys but the little guys with dinosaur arms have to get off the jam and Austin is tiny. He’s not muscled up like hill. Is Austin gonna get bullied in the nfl? Austin is only 5’7” and 170 lbs. I don’t know if he’ll get bullied or not. He’s one my fav late round guys. Maybe our late 3rd? I don’t know but his size and how he’ll handle the press and contact is a risk with his size but I do like him.

One thing to notice is that Watson’s 10 yard split is 1.45, which is crazy. Austin’s 10 yd split is 1.5. Watson’s quickness is real and it shows. Watch him on in the senior bowl and his quickness is crazy for his size. His catch range is also a plus. Watson’s size and long arms are also a plus against the press and any kind of contact. Watsons floor is a deep threat and gadget guy. I’m not sure what Austin’s floor is. Maybe tavon austin?

I’d take watson in the first. He’s worth the risk for me with his tape. It’s risky with his numbers and competition but he’s got burst, change of direction. He doesn’t have to build up his speed. He’s a freak and again, you see it on his tape. He’s not an underwear guy. Huge hands and he can catch and run routes. He’s raw. But can it translate to the nfl? I don’t know. That’s why jameson is worth a trade up for me. He’s dominated the big boys in college. But austin is intriguing in the late third or early 4th for me. I like him. But he doesn’t have the ceiling of watson, not close.
[Reply]
kcbubb 12:40 AM 04-02-2022
Also, if we ar going with a little wr, I really like wandale Robinson. He’s really shifty and compact. Mini deebo. He’s not the deep threat that austin is though.
[Reply]
Chargem 01:37 AM 04-02-2022
I really hope they take 2 shots at WR in the draft, but it seems relatively unlikely to me. I think Andy normally carries 6 WR, and you have JJSS, MVS, Hardman locking up the first 3 slots. If the rumours about another veteran are true, it just seems unlikely.
[Reply]
emaw1979 01:02 AM 04-05-2022
He's my favorite WR in the draft due to Williams' injury and availability.

Chris Simms has a recent podcast discussion about his top 5 WRs in the draft and gushes about him.
[Reply]
The Franchise 07:41 AM 04-05-2022
Pro Football Network's Aaron Wilson reports Nebraska WR Samori Toure is drawing "heavy interest" from the Chiefs, Bengals, Packers, Colts, and 49ers.

A rising wideout prospect as the NFL Draft draws near, Toure -- who set a Cornhuskers record with five 100-yard receiving games in 2021 -- could be a sought-after player for receiver-needy teams like the Chiefs and Packers, who last month lost Tyreek Hill and Davante Adams, respectively. Toure in 2021 had the second highest yards per reception (19.5) in Nebraska history thanks to a host of big downfield plays in the Cornhuskers offense. His four catch, 150 yard, one touchdown performance against Ohio State in November drew national attention. He transferred to Nebraska from Montana, where he caught 155 passes for 2,488 yards and 20 touchdowns over three years. Toure would have immediate fantasy intrigue if he were to land in Kansas City of Green Bay.
[Reply]
Coogs 07:59 AM 04-05-2022
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
Pro Football Network's Aaron Wilson reports Nebraska WR Samori Toure is drawing "heavy interest" from the Chiefs, Bengals, Packers, Colts, and 49ers.

A rising wideout prospect as the NFL Draft draws near, Toure -- who set a Cornhuskers record with five 100-yard receiving games in 2021 -- could be a sought-after player for receiver-needy teams like the Chiefs and Packers, who last month lost Tyreek Hill and Davante Adams, respectively. Toure in 2021 had the second highest yards per reception (19.5) in Nebraska history thanks to a host of big downfield plays in the Cornhuskers offense. His four catch, 150 yard, one touchdown performance against Ohio State in November drew national attention. He transferred to Nebraska from Montana, where he caught 155 passes for 2,488 yards and 20 touchdowns over three years. Toure would have immediate fantasy intrigue if he were to land in Kansas City of Green Bay.
He would be a great 7th round pick. In fact there are several Huskers who would be nice additions to our team.
[Reply]
Titty Meat 08:17 AM 04-05-2022

If he had speed he would be a great NFL WR. Very good college WR just don't think he's fast enough at the next level
[Reply]
Coogs 08:34 AM 04-05-2022
Originally Posted by Titty Meat:
If he had speed he would be a great NFL WR. Very good college WR just don't think he's fast enough at the next level
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si....2022-nfl-draft

Times are not terrible.
[Reply]
SAGA45 04:16 PM 04-05-2022

.@HuskerFBNation WR Samori Toure (@samori_toure) had a great Pro Day yesterday.

Along with the 4.43 below (and all times in 4.4s), other numbers from his day:

SS - 4.22
3C - 6.77
BJ - 10’4
VJ - 34.5
Bench - 7 https://t.co/4uRO0bYg3V

— Eric Galko (@EricGalko) March 23, 2022

[Reply]
Titty Meat 09:29 PM 04-05-2022
Originally Posted by SAGA45:
OK? A bunch of useless numbers in shorts. You've never even seen the kid play. Watched him every week good college player doesn't have top end speed isn't very physical. He will struggle at the next level. You guys are way too married to numbers. Why do you think he's a projected 7th rounder?
[Reply]
SAGA45 11:05 AM 04-06-2022
OK? A bunch of useless numbers in shorts. You've never even seen the kid play.
You're wrong on both accounts.

Watched him every week good college player doesn't have top end speed isn't very physical. He will struggle at the next level.
Well... if that's the case you should notify the teams with reported heavy interest in him, including the Chiefs, and let them know they're wasting their time and resources. I'm sure they'd appreciate the heads-up.
[Reply]
chiefforlife 12:51 PM 04-06-2022
OK? A bunch of useless numbers in shorts. You've never even seen the kid play. Watched him every week good college player doesn't have top end speed isn't very physical. He will struggle at the next level. You guys are way too married to numbers. Why do you think he's a projected 7th rounder?

Well the Chiefs have seen enough to be interested. Maybe they are thinking 7th round?

This is why they have 7 rounds, no?
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 08:23 AM 04-05-2022

I presume he's another guy we wouldn't have a problem taking in the first round?
[Reply]
Page 13 of 26
« First < 3910111213 1415161723 > Last »
Up