ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 11 of 16
« First < 7891011 12131415 > Last »
Media Center>Serial Podcast
Pushead2 01:13 PM 11-03-2014
I searched for a thread or post about this podcast, but didn't see anything.

Anyone else been following and listening to the episodes? I'm completely hooked. It's so compelling and just absolutely intriguing.

Here's a brief summary from the podcast's site:

On January 13, 1999, a girl named Hae Min Lee, a senior at Woodlawn High School in Baltimore County, Maryland, disappeared. A month later, her body turned up in a city park. She'd been strangled. Her 17-year-old ex-boyfriend, Adnan Syed, was arrested for the crime, and within a year, he was convicted and sentenced to spend the rest of his life in prison. The case against him was largely based on the story of one witness, Adnan’s friend Jay, who testified that he helped Adnan bury Hae's body. But Adnan has always maintained he had nothing to do with Hae’s death. Some people believe he’s telling the truth. Many others don’t.

Sarah Koenig, who hosts Serial, first learned about this case more than a year ago. In the months since, she's been sorting through box after box (after box) of legal documents and investigators' notes, listening to trial testimony and police interrogations, and talking to everyone she can find who remembers what happened between Adnan Syed and Hae Min Lee fifteen years ago. What she realized is that the trial covered up a far more complicated story, which neither the jury nor the public got to hear. The high school scene, the shifting statements to police, the prejudices, the sketchy alibis, the scant forensic evidence - all of it leads back to the most basic questions: How can you know a person’s character? How can you tell what they’re capable of? In Season One of Serial, she looks for answers.

I provided some helpful links below:

Podcast: www.serialpodcast.org

Reddit: www.reddit.com/r/serialpodcast/
[Reply]
Red Brooklyn 01:31 PM 06-20-2015
Originally Posted by Anyong Bluth:
They may be upfront in their "bias", but the information they present is logically sound and legit.

Any speculation that is discussed isn't far fetched or off on some wild goose chase.
Exactly. And the one or two times (and it really is only one or two that I caught) that Rabia starts to get even a little tinfoil hat conspiracy theory-y, the other two jump in and say, "well that's a little weird, but who cares because A) and B) and C) are REALLY weird and here are some fact. And Rabia is like, "good point."

The bias shouldn't be something that turns anyone away from listening to the information. There are just way too many facts supported by experts to write this off.
[Reply]
The Franchise 12:04 PM 06-23-2015
Episode 6 is up.
[Reply]
Pushead2 04:04 PM 06-23-2015
Episode 6 was good, a few more "wtf" were they doing moments.

The podcast(s) were good, but there's a couple huge pieces that are missing from the story. Until then, I feel like it's all going to be redundant information.
[Reply]
Anyong Bluth 11:15 AM 06-24-2015
Originally Posted by Pushead2:
Episode 6 was good, a few more "wtf" were they doing moments.

The podcast(s) were good, but there's a couple huge pieces that are missing from the story. Until then, I feel like it's all going to be redundant information.
You mean missing as in they're sitting on it to draw it out and
Up the # of episodes?
If so, I can live with it - it'll suck more when there are no more episodes.

Have others been listening to the supplemental shorts between the main episodes? I thought the short interviews with the Q&A offer some context and background information.
Interesting to hear that aside from the Adnan's case, now that Undisclosed has been such a draw that a number of those involved with it are exploring presenting additional cases where there has been sloppy investigations and leads arbitrarily dismissed with evidence omitted.
[Reply]
keg in kc 11:20 AM 06-24-2015
Just started listening to Undisclosed. Hearing Hae's voice at the beginning of episode two was chilling.
[Reply]
Pushead2 03:37 PM 06-24-2015
Originally Posted by Anyong Bluth:
You mean missing as in they're sitting on it to draw it out and
Up the # of episodes?
If so, I can live with it - it'll suck more when there are no more episodes.

Have others been listening to the supplemental shorts between the main episodes? I thought the short interviews with the Q&A offer some context and background information.
Interesting to hear that aside from the Adnan's case, now that Undisclosed has been such a draw that a number of those involved with it are exploring presenting additional cases where there has been sloppy investigations and leads arbitrarily dismissed with evidence omitted.
I think my post was poorly written by myself - sorry about that. I'm all for them having a bunch of episodes, I'll listen for sure. I meant in like them finding out a "smoking gun" you know?

I've been listening for sure. I want to hear what they say about the two dope detectives' other cases. It seemed like O'Shea wasn't so bad.
[Reply]
Anyong Bluth 04:06 PM 06-24-2015
Originally Posted by Pushead2:
I think my post was poorly written by myself - sorry about that. I'm all for them having a bunch of episodes, I'll listen for sure. I meant in like them finding out a "smoking gun" you know?

I've been listening for sure. I want to hear what they say about the two dope detectives' other cases. It seemed like O'Shea wasn't so bad.
I get ya. I think it's just part of the format. A bit of the theatrical and draw it out to build up the drama.

However, the story already has enough to keep you interested, so it's not as necessary here.

I hadn't even thought about your second point. I remember them mentioning it, but now you bring it up I'm curious about those other cases.

There's a discussion panel with the main Undisclosed creators up on youtube, and she mentions that there's still a ton of information, background, and people not even brought up by either podcast tha they can't discuss.

Apparently you can find a good amount of it online if you scavenge around for it, but it's not been covered...

I'm curious to know about what, but haven't been looking as of yet.
[Reply]
Pushead2 11:27 PM 06-24-2015
Originally Posted by keg in kc:
Just started listening to Undisclosed. Hearing Hae's voice at the beginning of episode two was chilling.

[Reply]
Al Bundy 05:04 PM 07-14-2015
Episode 7 of Undisclosed has been posted and is really, really good. Seems to me Baltimore police handled this "questionably".
[Reply]
Silock 08:00 PM 07-14-2015
I don't see any way Adnan did this.
[Reply]
The Franchise 11:03 AM 07-15-2015
Originally Posted by Silock:
Nope. Looks to me like the Baltimore PD locked onto Adnan because of an "easy" conviction and railroaded him throughout the entire thing.
[Reply]
Al Bundy 08:17 PM 07-15-2015
Originally Posted by Silock:
I agree 100%.
[Reply]
Anyong Bluth 09:21 PM 07-15-2015
The bail hearing bullshit pisses me off!
It's insane no one gets clued in to the fact he can't be charged with a capital crime- even after filing an appeal to it being denied at least 3 months later?

As an attorney nothing sickens me more than lazy and sloppy work. The fault lies with everyone on this one. This is exactly how people who have done nothing end up fucked.
Lazy / shady cops. Lazy / sloppy attorneys, and careless judges = clusterfuck.

Most disturbing is with all the information out on the table and a national spotlight on this entire investigation and prosecution, the state knows he didn't do it. But to save face , careers, and any potential liability their going to slow play the situation.
Let it drag, put up minimal resistance along the appeals process, and at some point the case will be granted eligible for the state to retry the case.

So, the verdict may be vacated, but the state will leverage threatening to retry the case unless he wants to take an offer for a commuted sentence.
He'll be out of jail but still have a murder conviction on his record. The entire reason is for leverage to insulate the state's liability from being sued or any large money settlement.
[Reply]
Al Bundy 09:24 PM 07-15-2015
On one of those podcasts they talked about the city of Baltimore being sued by someone because of the cops. They are sloppy and had just him in mind...
[Reply]
Pushead2 04:32 PM 07-16-2015
Yeah there are so many things that are just beyond the limits of "you have to be kidding me right?".

Do any of y'all follow Colin on twitter? (https://twitter.com/EvidenceProf , make sure to click the "tweets & replies") He answers a lot of questions a day to people that have questions. I stumbled through his page the other night and it appears that his new lawyer has convinced Adnan to not do the DNA testing at the moment.

The only thing I can think of why he would want that is maybe they have the state's timeline on the ropes. Could you imagine if Adnan's DNA popped up from the PERK kit?
Could be a damaging blow that he can't wiggle out from.
[Reply]
Page 11 of 16
« First < 7891011 12131415 > Last »
Up