ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 205 of 2687
« First < 105155195201202203204205 2062072082092152553057051205 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>*****The Patrick Mahomes Thread*****
Dante84 07:19 PM 04-27-2017
IT ****ING HAPPENED

OP UPDATE:

Because of all the interest in this thread, I've place all of the video content of Patrick Mahomes II's college career, and draft day goodness into a single post that can be found here. Enjoy!
[Reply]
Halfcan 03:40 PM 06-09-2017
Originally Posted by RunKC:
Really good article on how Mahomes has improved his technique and mechanics in the last 6 months in pre-draft coaching and OTA's.

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2017/6/...as-tech-chiefs
Looking forward to seeing his progress once training camp starts. He has made a lot of positive changes in 6 months. :-)
[Reply]
ModSocks 03:51 PM 06-09-2017
Originally Posted by RunKC:
Really good article on how Mahomes has improved his technique and mechanics in the last 6 months in pre-draft coaching and OTA's.

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2017/6/...as-tech-chiefs
Color me skeptical.
[Reply]
SAUTO 03:56 PM 06-09-2017
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
Color me skeptical.
Me too, especially when the bullets are flying.

But he did seem to blow up towards the end after he was getting worked out.

And he didn't always throw with that almost sidearm motion before either.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 03:59 PM 06-09-2017
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
Color me skeptical.

Me, too, which is why I've been saying that Mahomes starting in 2018 is an unreasonable expectation.

He has a long, long way to go.
[Reply]
beach tribe 04:14 PM 06-09-2017
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
Me, too, which is why I've been saying that Mahomes starting in 2018 is an unreasonable expectation.

He has a long, long way to go.
If he can't learn how to make his drops and call plays in a full season on the bench, then he should never have been drafted in the first or hell even the 2nd round..

He's a smart kid who works really hard and obviously wants to improve and wants to play....sooner rather than later.

A lot of you guys are really over blowing his situation..

He will be the starter in 2018, and he damn well better be ready or the coaching staff has failed.
With the staff we have, I don't expect them to fail..
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 04:19 PM 06-09-2017
Originally Posted by beach tribe:
If he can't learn how to make his drops and call plays in a full season on the bench, then he should never have been drafted in the first or hell even the 2nd round..

He's a smart kid who works really hard and obviously wants to improve and wants to play....sooner rather than later.

A lot of you guys are really over blowing his situation..

He will be the starter in 2018, and he damn well better be ready or the coaching staff has failed.

I'm expecting him to well.
No, I'm not overstating the situation, at all.

O.City made the same comment back in January, that once he saw video of Mahomes games, he wouldn't take him before the 3rd round. I disagreed and thought the Chiefs should do whatever it takes to trade up and get him in the first and fortunately, they did just that.

But QB's are overvalued each and every year because great QB's are so rare. Mahomes will not only need to fix his mechanics and call plays with 18 words, he'll need to do it naturally and not fall back into bad habits.

The minute he's ready to lead the Chiefs will be when he's under center and not thinking about the play call or his mechanics, but the opposing defense.

That's going to take time.
[Reply]
beach tribe 04:19 PM 06-09-2017
As for the article...Reid has already said that he's not worried about his mechanics that much because he has the arm talent to get the ball wherever he wants it whether his mechanics are correct or not....Farve like, I believe he said.

Of course they will work to improve them, but it's not the issue that many, including the article's author make it out to be.
[Reply]
beach tribe 04:43 PM 06-09-2017

O.City made the same comment back in January, that once he saw video of Mahomes games, he wouldn't take him before the 3rd round. I disagreed and thought the Chiefs should do whatever it takes to trade up and get him in the first and fortunately, they did just that.

But QB's are overvalued each and every year because great QB's are so rare. Mahomes will not only need to fix his mechanics and call plays with 18 words, he'll need to do it naturally and not fall back into bad habits.

The minute he's ready to lead the Chiefs will be when he's under center and not thinking about the play call or his mechanics, but the opposing defense.

17 months is long enough to learn another language,.
I don't think it will be an issue for the man to learn how to call plays.

I started reading up on what goes into calling the plays, and I can half assed spit out west coast offense verbiage, having spent less than half an hr reading into it.

I am not trying to downplay the difficulty of learning the playbook, but we are talking about over a year of watching, studying and practicing..
If the guy has half a brain, he will be ready to play..

If he is not on the field week one of 2018, then we should all be VERY worried.

But that's not going to happen.
Because playing time is also needed to really get a full grasp on how to play the position, and there is no way anyone spends a Top ten pick on a player, to not have him see the field until his third season.

It has NEVER Happened before.....Ever.
And it never will..
The closest thing is the Aaron Rodgers situation, which, actually, isn't the same situation, because not being ready, is not the reason he didn't play.
[Reply]
RunKC 04:50 PM 06-09-2017

Mahomes was on the all-academic team off the field and on the field he called 13 word plays.

The mental part of the game will not be a huge concern IMO. He's way ahead of a prospect like Paxton Lynch mentally coming out of college.
[Reply]
beach tribe 04:51 PM 06-09-2017
Not even Alex Smith thinks he will be starting for the Chiefs in 2018.
[Reply]
jjchieffan 04:55 PM 06-09-2017
Dane, you have been right a lot on player evaluations. But I hope that you're wrong on this one. I am anxious to see our young gunslinger start. I don't mind giving him a year to develop, but man, I don't want to have to wait 2. But, if Andy decides that he needs another year, I'll trust his judgement.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 05:02 PM 06-09-2017
Mahomes starting in 2018 is an unreasonable expectation.
:-)

Literally flying in the face of the mainstream philosophy for developing a QB in the NFL during the last 20 years, but whatever!
[Reply]
Red Dawg 05:04 PM 06-09-2017
In 18 he will start. Smith looks to probably go even further down hill. Freaking OTAs and already people are talking about him riding the bench for two years.
[Reply]
RunKC 05:24 PM 06-09-2017
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:

Literally flying in the face of the mainstream philosophy for developing a QB in the NFL during the last 20 years, but whatever!
And how many of those teams using that philosophy developed a successful QB long term?

If Andy says he needs to sit year 2, I'm 100% fine with that.
[Reply]
Sweet Daddy Hate 05:35 PM 06-09-2017
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:

Originally Posted by Tuckdaddy:
In 18 he will start. Smith looks to probably go even further down hill. Freaking OTAs and already people are talking about him riding the bench for two years.
I recall being told quite vehemently by...someone...gee, I just can't seem to remember who...
that NO ONE takes a QB in the first round and sits them for a year. NO ONE!
And I would imagine that such a hard and fast rule is DOUBLY applicable if said team ACTUALLY TRADED PICKS TO MOVE UP AND GET HIM!
[Reply]
Page 205 of 2687
« First < 105155195201202203204205 2062072082092152553057051205 > Last »
Up