ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 120 of 185
« First < 2070110116117118119120 121122123124130170 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>*****The George Karlaftis Thread*****
Dante84 09:16 PM 04-28-2022
More to come!

What are the #Chiefs getting in George Karlaftis?

Had an NFC Personnel executive tell me “He reminds me of J.J. Watt, when Watt was coming out. An explosive and versatile playmaker who has a high motor and can line up at 3,5, or 7. Very strong kid” #NFL #NFLDraft pic.twitter.com/5qM3g6OrMr

— Matt Lombardo (@MattLombardoNFL) April 29, 2022

George Karlaftis was drafted with pick 30 of round 1 in the 2022 draft class. He scored a 9.23 RAS out of a possible 10.00. This ranked 116 out of 1503 DE from 1987 to 2022. https://t.co/iXXBvnoFJc #RAS #Chiefs pic.twitter.com/eZ9XjNRDUB

— Kent Lee Platte (@MathBomb) April 29, 2022

“I was sitting there the whole night hoping we’d be able to get you.”

Karlaftis gets the call �� pic.twitter.com/DRGBDekvnl

— Kansas City Chiefs (@Chiefs) April 29, 2022

[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 09:00 AM 11-17-2022
Originally Posted by Lzen:
Well then maybe that's what I was remembering. Imagine starting Studabaker over Houston. :-)
:-) No shit.
[Reply]
htismaqe 09:00 AM 11-17-2022
Well then maybe that's what I was remembering. Imagine starting Studabaker over Houston. :-)
"The Right 53"
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 09:06 AM 11-17-2022
It is pretty incredible to see that Houston played 12 games prior to getting his first sack.
Houston was really bad about turning the corner when he first started.

I remember everyone being super excited about him and even as early as pre-season games we could see incredible burst and first step quickness. But he was getting to 'half a man' on OTs and....just kept going. He was taking himself out of plays early in his career.

But you could see him improving week over week. Once he learned how to dip those shoulders a bit and power around a corner, it was all over but the crying.
[Reply]
raybec 4 09:12 AM 11-17-2022
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:

I remember everyone being super excited about him and even as early as pre-season games we could see incredible burst and first step quickness. But he was getting to 'half a man' on OTs and....just kept going. He was taking himself out of plays early in his career.

But you could see him improving week over week. Once he learned how to dip those shoulders a bit and power around a corner, it was all over but the crying.
The only issue is I'm not sure there is something like that that George can "learn" that will get him there. I love the kid and the fact that he doesn't take plays off. He's just not as physically gifted as Houston was. If he had a little more bend to him he'd have several sacks already IMO
[Reply]
htismaqe 09:12 AM 11-17-2022

So do you think Karlaftis could have a similar growth spurt given how he's played so far?
[Reply]
ThaVirus 09:16 AM 11-17-2022
Another positive to note about Karlaftis is that he isn't out there making negative plays.

Skyy is directly responsible for like 3 turnovers and at least one busted drive because he let a punt get downed at the 1.

I don't recall ever thinking "Wow, George left a gaping hole where is gap responsibility should have been" or anything of that nature. He's out there flying around, trying to make plays.
[Reply]
Chieftain 09:23 AM 11-17-2022
George is a smart player and smart players have long careers in this league. Which is why we should be even more excited about the Toney acquisition. That kid plays smarter than he looks. He was very impressive last week. I thought of him as a physical freak who lacked IQ but this guy looked like a taller version of Tyreek out there. He picked up Andy's playbook in two weeks time. We don't lose that game to Buffalo with Toney playing.
[Reply]
synthesis2 09:23 AM 11-17-2022
I may be in the minority here but I think he is having a great year, hard to explain but the best way would be to say he is a B to B+ for everything, he has looked solid against the run, he has put on a great pass rush causing 10 plus QB to rush their throws for nothing. He puts in 110% effort, if we drafted over again and we had the first pick and had to pick a DE this is the guy I would want. He is also healthy which is really important. Sometimes you can find a guy who has more raw talent but they get hurt all the time. I think this guy is a 8-12 year starter for us.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 09:27 AM 11-17-2022
Originally Posted by raybec 4:
The only issue is I'm not sure there is something like that that George can "learn" that will get him there. I love the kid and the fact that he doesn't take plays off. He's just not as physically gifted as Houston was. If he had a little more bend to him he'd have several sacks already IMO
Of course not - I'm not expecting him to EVER be Justin Houston. No, he's not that level of pure talent. And setting raw talent aside, he's just not that style of player.

Originally Posted by htismaqe:
So do you think Karlaftis could have a similar growth spurt given how he's played so far?
See above - no, he's not going to unlock some magic trick like Houston's bend showing up that will suddenly have him exploding forward into an All Pro, IMO.

He's a guy who's going to have to grind. He'll get better at chaining moves or setting guys up. He'll get a little stronger. He'll get more precise and more consistent with his technique. I mean the difference between a good player and a HoFer is literally finishing one extra play/gm. Hell, it's not even that much. Just getting that level of consistency up to where he's a threat to finish the play on 80% of his reps instead of 60% of his reps will yield significant returns over large numbers.

He's a grinder and that's how grinders have to approach it, IMO. You keep doing the work, putting in the effort, racking up the opportunities and eventually the chips fall in your favor.

He ain't Mike McDermott out there going all in in every tournament. He's Joey Knish banking his small scores and winning the long game.
[Reply]
htismaqe 09:45 AM 11-17-2022
Of course not - I'm not expecting him to EVER be Justin Houston. No, he's not that level of pure talent. And setting raw talent aside, he's just not that style of player.

See above - no, he's not going to unlock some magic trick like Houston's bend showing up that will suddenly have him exploding forward into an All Pro, IMO.

He's a guy who's going to have to grind. He'll get better at chaining moves or setting guys up. He'll get a little stronger. He'll get more precise and more consistent with his technique. I mean the difference between a good player and a HoFer is literally finishing one extra play/gm. Hell, it's not even that much. Just getting that level of consistency up to where he's a threat to finish the play on 80% of his reps instead of 60% of his reps will yield significant returns over large numbers.

He's a grinder and that's how grinders have to approach it, IMO. You keep doing the work, putting in the effort, racking up the opportunities and eventually the chips fall in your favor.

He ain't Mike McDermott out there going all in in every tournament. He's Joey Knish banking his small scores and winning the long game.
Sorry I wasn't clear. I agree that Karlaftis won't explode into an All-Pro.

What I'm saying is that Houston when 12 games without a sack and suddenly got 3 in one game. Do you see Karlaftis being able to do something like that?
[Reply]
-King- 09:52 AM 11-17-2022
I don't really have an issue with how Karlaftis is playing lately. He did have a small "slump" in like games 2-6 but he's been really good the past few weeks. Just have to turn a few of those pressures into sacks and he'll be fine.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:00 AM 11-17-2022
Sorry I wasn't clear. I agree that Karlaftis won't explode into an All-Pro.

What I'm saying is that Houston when 12 games without a sack and suddenly got 3 in one game. Do you see Karlaftis being able to do something like that?
Sure - I mean if Eric Hicks can do it, so can George Karlaftis.

It's a preparation meets opportunity thing. Sooner or later he'll have a game like that if he just keeps pressuring pockets.

But it won't be because he unlocks some specific trait that makes him orders of magnitude better, IMO.
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:04 AM 11-17-2022
Sure - I mean if Eric Hicks can do it, so can George Karlaftis.

It's a preparation meets opportunity thing. Sooner or later he'll have a game like that if he just keeps pressuring pockets.

But it won't be because he unlocks some specific trait that makes him orders of magnitude better, IMO.
Right.

His improvement depends on him refining and learning new techniques. That won't result in exponential growth but it absolutely can lead to incremental growth.

Higher floor, lower ceiling type of thing.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:07 AM 11-17-2022
Right.

His improvement depends on him refining and learning new techniques. That won't result in exponential growth but it absolutely can lead to incremental growth.

Higher floor, lower ceiling type of thing.
Maybe; but mostly its a roles/style thing.

He's just not that guy. In many ways he's a more VALUABLE guy if he continues to develop. Or certainly a harder one to find.

Guys who can play really sound football and also contribute 8+ sacks are massively important and are big time force multpliers in their own right. They allow you to do more 'straight up' stuff because you don't have to cover for them like you would a Bruce Irvin sort of guided missile.

I don't know that it's fair to say Karlaftis has a low ceiling - just that his strengths aren't going to be flashy.
[Reply]
-King- 10:08 AM 11-17-2022
Him, CJ and Dunlap are playing really well together right now. I really hope they don't tinker with that trying to get Frank back in the mix.
[Reply]
Page 120 of 185
« First < 2070110116117118119120 121122123124130170 > Last »
Up