ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 112 of 185
« First < 1262102108109110111112 113114115116122162 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>*****The George Karlaftis Thread*****
Dante84 09:16 PM 04-28-2022
More to come!

What are the #Chiefs getting in George Karlaftis?

Had an NFC Personnel executive tell me “He reminds me of J.J. Watt, when Watt was coming out. An explosive and versatile playmaker who has a high motor and can line up at 3,5, or 7. Very strong kid” #NFL #NFLDraft pic.twitter.com/5qM3g6OrMr

— Matt Lombardo (@MattLombardoNFL) April 29, 2022

George Karlaftis was drafted with pick 30 of round 1 in the 2022 draft class. He scored a 9.23 RAS out of a possible 10.00. This ranked 116 out of 1503 DE from 1987 to 2022. https://t.co/iXXBvnoFJc #RAS #Chiefs pic.twitter.com/eZ9XjNRDUB

— Kent Lee Platte (@MathBomb) April 29, 2022

“I was sitting there the whole night hoping we’d be able to get you.”

Karlaftis gets the call �� pic.twitter.com/DRGBDekvnl

— Kansas City Chiefs (@Chiefs) April 29, 2022

[Reply]
TwistedChief 09:17 PM 11-08-2022
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
He tossed a TE...he's kinda supposed to do that, no?
And the other clips?
[Reply]
JPH83 02:05 AM 11-09-2022
Originally Posted by Megatron96:
Nah. Mostly he's about a half step slow getting to the QB from what I've seen. In short, he's still learning how to play at NFL speed. He's still thinking instead of just playing, so he's a beat slow yet. He'll be quicker as the season goes on and even more so next season. But even being a step slow, he's racking up a lot of QB pressures and hits, not to mention his solid play vs. the run so far.
I hear this a fair bit and it's just the one thing I don't see. It feels like a lot of the time he's taken out, or more often takes himself out about a million miles from the action on run plays. Watching again I think it's partly an over-eagerness to bring pressure to the QB. He's like a puppy, just a bundle of excited energy, but it means he just isn't reading a lot of these plays that well.

He's a smart kid, I'm sure he'll work it out. But precisely because of this I expected him to be better against the run at this point.
[Reply]
RealSNR 04:06 AM 11-09-2022
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
He tossed a TE...he's kinda supposed to do that, no?
We've been watching fucking Frank get stonewalled by TEs for multiple seasons, so this is still refreshing to see
[Reply]
O.city 10:10 AM 11-09-2022

This backs up the idea that while Karlaftis is executing Spags stunts well (which is a good thing, to be sure!), he's not winning as much as you'd want 1x1.

They've used him in a multitude of ways and he's been a useful player, but this is similar to what I've seen. https://t.co/E37Io4JQD9

— Seth Keysor (@RealMNchiefsfan) November 9, 2022

[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:24 AM 11-09-2022
Originally Posted by RunKC:
As someone who wasn’t thrilled with the Bryan Cook pick, I see why they drafted him. It wasn’t just to replace Daniel Sorenson but also to replace some of Juan Thornhill’s role. And I think he can. The guy was a corner for years before he became a safety. He also played a lot of roles in college. He’s probably a TE matchup but he did play in the slot in college too.

Juan is a pretty solid pass defender but he is so bad vs the run. He gets scared and can’t make the tackles needed.

Still need help up front but again Spags wanted the secondary shored up first.
And I had this conversation pre-draft with a few folks who were talking about 1st or 2nd round safeties.

Safety is a position that many teams, Chiefs included, have filled with a day 2 rookie who has contributed immediately. It's just an easier position to plug and play.

So why treat Thornhill's replacement as a dire, pressing need that must be addressed last season? Especially when DL has a longer learning curve?

I just don't see Cook as any kind of 'special' safety prospect that we needed to be a year ahead on. Not when the position is often filled on the fly and certainly not when we had dire needs (and still do) on the defensive line.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:25 AM 11-09-2022
Originally Posted by RealSNR:
We've been watching fucking Frank get stonewalled by TEs for multiple seasons, so this is still refreshing to see
God help us if Frank Clark is the bar to clear...
[Reply]
BWillie 11:39 AM 11-09-2022
Originally Posted by O.city:
Eek
[Reply]
Megatron96 11:57 AM 11-09-2022
Originally Posted by JPH83:
I hear this a fair bit and it's just the one thing I don't see. It feels like a lot of the time he's taken out, or more often takes himself out about a million miles from the action on run plays. Watching again I think it's partly an over-eagerness to bring pressure to the QB. He's like a puppy, just a bundle of excited energy, but it means he just isn't reading a lot of these plays that well.

He's a smart kid, I'm sure he'll work it out. But precisely because of this I expected him to be better against the run at this point.
LOl, he's a rookie. You didn't really expect him to win every snap?

But to say that he has poor recognition is just not the case.

He's making plays in the run game. Not every play, but he's making most of them. And I'm not talking about just making tackles or setting the edge. It's his recognition; this guy aint no Dee Ford. He's way ahead of guys like Dee when it comes to recognizing whether it's a run or a pass after the snap. What you call over-eagerness I think is just George beginning the snap as a pass rusher because that's the play-call, then recognizing that's it's a run, and adjusting on the fly. Basically, exactly what happened in the clip above. Actually, i think there's at least two fo them in that post with the multiple clips in t.

Does he need to work on is skills? Sure. But there's no question that he's a positive player on the DL right now, either making plays on his own or creating opportunities for other players, like that INT vs. SF a couple weeks ago. He didn't get there, but he created the pressure, along with Thornhill, and Jimmy had to try and throw that ball over and around Karlaftis, which forced the bad pass that Watson(?) intercepted.

Imo, Karlaftis is a solid run defender now. Maybe you have some specific examples to look at that show something different, but so far i haven't seen anything that says he's struggling vs. the run.
[Reply]
staylor26 12:10 PM 11-09-2022
Originally Posted by O.city:
So even with stunts and blitzes removed, he's still 2nd best in the class.

How is that a bad thing?
[Reply]
BWillie 12:14 PM 11-09-2022
Originally Posted by staylor26:
So even with stunts and blitzes removed, he's still 2nd best in the class.

How is that a bad thing?
Hes on track for ahh....sack. one sack. Hes everything we hoped he would be out of a 1st round DE. No reason for fans to expect more than 1 sack a year from a 1st round pick defensive end
[Reply]
staylor26 12:20 PM 11-09-2022
Originally Posted by BWillie:
Hes on track for ahh....sack. one sack. Hes everything we hoped he would be out of a 1st round DE. No reason for fans to expect more than 1 sack a year from a 1st round pick defensive end
Yea because even as a 21 year old rookie that is getting pressure, he willl never get better, and the pressure will never translate into sacks. The book is already written on him!

You're truly fucking reeruned.
[Reply]
RunKC 12:24 PM 11-09-2022
Patrick Surtain has zero INT’s this year.

He sucks!
[Reply]
Megatron96 12:27 PM 11-09-2022
Lolz. So when Justin Houston went 0-fer in his first 12 games as a rookie you would've written him off as a bust. 115 sacks to his career now.

Genious take there.:-)
[Reply]
New World Order 12:29 PM 11-09-2022
I know he’s only a rookie but it’s not like he had great sack numbers in college either.
[Reply]
RealSNR 12:30 PM 11-09-2022
Mahomes was on pace for 0 TDs for his career after his rookie season
[Reply]
Page 112 of 185
« First < 1262102108109110111112 113114115116122162 > Last »
Up