ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3857 of 3903
« First < 2857335737573807384738533854385538563857 38583859386038613867 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
Tylerthigpen!1! 10:56 AM 01-06-2022
My favorite Aunt died of covid yesterday. She was in her 60s and the recipient of a kidney transplant 10-15 years ago so she was on immunosuppressants. I'm not looking for sympathy but I just wanted to share with someone.
[Reply]
IA_Chiefs_fan 11:06 AM 01-06-2022
Originally Posted by Tylerthigpen!1!:
My favorite Aunt died of covid yesterday. She was in her 60s and the recipient of a kidney transplant 10-15 years ago so she was on immunosuppressants. I'm not looking for sympathy but I just wanted to share with someone.
I just lost my favorite aunt too. Not to Covid though. I got to tell mine that I loved her about a week before she passed.
[Reply]
TimBone 12:49 PM 01-06-2022
Originally Posted by Tylerthigpen!1!:
Originally Posted by IA_Chiefs_fan:
I just lost my favorite aunt too. Not to Covid though. I got to tell mine that I loved her about a week before she passed.
Condolences to you both.
[Reply]
TLO 01:04 PM 01-06-2022

Illustrating this important issue, the current rise of hospitalizations in a large health system among vaccinated, waned vs vaccinated, boosted pic.twitter.com/3J4FgCS7AH

— Eric Topol (@EricTopol) January 6, 2022

[Reply]
TLO 01:05 PM 01-06-2022

1 in 400 Americans have died of COVID-19

— BNO Newsroom (@BNODesk) January 6, 2022

[Reply]
TLO 01:07 PM 01-06-2022
In some lighter news.. Pete has been banned from this thread for like 8 months. He still has 1500 posts more than the second place poster, Donger. :-)
[Reply]
Fish 01:22 PM 01-06-2022
KCMO Mayor Lucas to introduce mask ordinance for students K-12

Kansas City, Missouri, Mayor Quinton Lucas will introduce an ordinance that would bring back masks for students in kindergarten through 12th grade.

Lucas' ordinance requires children, faculty, staff and visitors to wear a mask while inside of school buildings.

Exemptions from the mandate include children under the age of five or those with a medical condition or disability that prevents wearing a mask, among others.

The ordinance would take effect on Jan. 9 at 11:59 p.m. and run through Feb. 3, 2022.

Lucas' ordinance will be introduced for same-day adoption during the City Council meeting on Thursday.
[Reply]
wazu 01:28 PM 01-06-2022
This is literally the first day of my son's high school career that he was allowed to walk into school without wearing a mask.
[Reply]
R Clark 01:41 PM 01-06-2022
Originally Posted by wazu:
This is literally the first day of my son's high school career that he was allowed to walk into school without wearing a mask.
Stop and think about how fucked up that is.
[Reply]
Hawker007 01:45 PM 01-06-2022
Originally Posted by TLO:
I may be an idiot, but I'm not following that graph. Does that mean that 88% of people with 3 shots who go to the hospital survive? And only 52% with 2 shots do? I can't figure out any way those stats make any sense...
[Reply]
O.city 01:46 PM 01-06-2022
Well, wife couldn't outrun it forever.

She's on day 5. Seems to be doing fine. Lotta congestion and some body aches a few days ago, now just congested.
[Reply]
DaFace 01:55 PM 01-06-2022
Originally Posted by Hawker007:
I may be an idiot, but I'm not following that graph. Does that mean that 88% of people with 3 shots who go to the hospital survive? And only 52% with 2 shots do? I can't figure out any way those stats make any sense...
It's kind of a shitty chart. Without any labels, I'd have to guess to interpret what it means.

The table is a little clearer. But it's looking at hospitalizations - not deaths. Based on that table, the original vaccinations are 52% effective at preventing hospitalizations compared to nothing (so someone who is unvaccinated is roughly 2x as likely to be hospitalized), but boosters bump the effectiveness to 88% (so someone who is unvaccinated is roughly 8x as likely to be hospitalized).
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 02:01 PM 01-06-2022
Originally Posted by DaFace:
It's kind of a shitty chart. Without any labels, I'd have to guess to interpret what it means.

The table is a little clearer. But it's looking at hospitalizations - not deaths. Based on that table, the original vaccinations are 52% effective at preventing hospitalizations compared to nothing (so someone who is unvaccinated is roughly 2x as likely to be hospitalized), but boosters bump the effectiveness to 88% (so someone who is unvaccinated is roughly 8x as likely to be hospitalized).
Not quite.

Because the confidence interval spans 0, the effect of one shot is statistically insignificant according to that data. However, I would also add that the mixing of all vaccine manufacturers makes that data set almost worthless.

Also, I wouldn't even look at that last column at all. The hazard ratio tells you what you need to know. An unvaccinated person that is hospitalized with COVID has a hazard ratio of 1, because it is the outcome of interest. If you are less likely to be hospitalized, the hazard ratio will be somewhere between 0 and .99999 (repeating). If you are more likely to be hospitalized, the hazard ratio will be greater than one with a confidence interval that does not span one, meaning that an HR of 1.05 (CI 1.01-1.09) would indicate that you are more likely to be hospitalized, but an HR of 1.09 (CI .98-1.23) would indicate that you aren't.
[Reply]
Chiefspants 02:06 PM 01-06-2022
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins:
Not quite.

Because the confidence interval spans 0, the effect of one shot is statistically insignificant according to that data. However, I would also add that the mixing of all vaccine manufacturers makes that data set almost worthless.

Also, I wouldn't even look at that last column at all. The hazard ratio tells you what you need to know. An unvaccinated person that is hospitalized with COVID has a hazard ratio of 1, because it is the outcome of interest. If you are less likely to be hospitalized, the hazard ratio will be somewhere between 0 and .99999 (repeating). If you are more likely to be hospitalized, the hazard ratio will be greater than one with a confidence interval that does not span one, meaning that an HR of 1.05 (CI 1.01-1.09) would indicate that you are more likely to be hospitalized, but an HR of 1.09 (CI .98-1.23) would indicate that you aren't.
I realized I couldn't interpret that chart pretty early on, but now I realize that I REALLY couldn't interpret that chart.
[Reply]
DaFace 02:07 PM 01-06-2022
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins:
Not quite.

Not following. What do the 52% and 88% numbers he asked about mean if not effectiveness levels?
[Reply]
Page 3857 of 3903
« First < 2857335737573807384738533854385538563857 38583859386038613867 > Last »
Up