ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 41 of 1208
« First < 313738394041 4243444551911415411041 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Fire Me Boy! What's For Dinner? Thread
Buehler445 08:45 AM 07-15-2015
Since the other one got too big, let's keep the food truck rolling. Whacha got?

Vol 2. http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=285408
[Reply]
Baby Lee 06:00 PM 11-30-2015
Last couple days have been me working on Thai/Indian sauces from scratch.

Yellow Thai Curry on Sunday
Tikka Masala yesterday.

Easier than you think, once you track down the right spices. They're really just simmer dishes once you assemble your ingredients.

Took pictures, then sat to eat before it got cold. After I ate, discovered that focus was shit. So no images. Not really visual dishes anyway as they were sauced cubed chicken and vegetables over rice.

Also home brewed some Chai, which I cooled and mixed with milk and honey for a frozen drink.
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 06:07 PM 11-30-2015
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
Last couple days have been me working on Thai/Indian sauces from scratch.

Yellow Thai Curry on Sunday
Tikka Masala yesterday.

Easier than you think, once you track down the right spices. They're really just simmer dishes once you assemble your ingredients.

Took pictures, then sat to eat before it got cold. After I ate, discovered that focus was shit. So no images. Not really visual dishes anyway as they were sauced cubed chicken and vegetables over rice.

Also home brewed some Chai, which I cooled and mixed with milk and honey for a frozen drink.

Tikka masala is one of my favorite things. For those uninitiated to Indian cooking, here's a tip: "bloom" your spices, don't just throw them in the sauce. Cook them in oil for a minute or so. Most spices are fat soluble, so by cooking in oil, you'll really maximize flavor.

BL, would be interested in that chai recipe.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 06:25 PM 11-30-2015
Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy!:
Tikka masala is one of my favorite things. For those uninitiated to Indian cooking, here's a tip: "bloom" your spices, don't just throw them in the sauce. Cook them in oil for a minute or so. Most spices are fat soluble, so by cooking in oil, you'll really maximize flavor.

BL, would be interested in that chai recipe.
Oh yeah, the order is

oil
spices
meat
veggies
liquids

makes sure each stage is good and heated through before adding the next.

. . . .

Simmer.

Re: the Chai, nothing really involved. One of the vendors at the market had bulk Chai spices. I just simmered them in garnier bouquet, then put it in the freezer, then added full milk and honey when it started to crystalize. Brewed it a little stronger than usual since I was planning on diluting it with the milk after.
[Reply]
Mennonite 07:53 PM 11-30-2015
I would love to try some Indian cuisine, but the nearest restaurant is probably 60 miles from where I live. The closest I come is the international food aisle at Publix. I love this shit:

In one pan, I saute half of a large red onion
In a second pan, I saute a pound and a half of bite sized bits of chicken for about five minutes
Combine onions, chicken, and jalfrezi sauce. Cook on medium high until it begins to bubble. Cover and turn the temp down to simmer for about 20 minutes.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 08:06 PM 11-30-2015
Originally Posted by Mennonite:
I would love to try some Indian cuisine, but the nearest restaurant is probably 60 miles from where I live. The closest I come is the international food aisle at Publix. I love this shit:

In one pan, I saute half of a large red onion
In a second pan, I saute a pound and a half of bite sized bits of chicken for about five minutes
Combine onions, chicken, and jalfrezi sauce. Cook on medium high until it begins to bubble. Cover and turn the temp down to simmer for about 20 minutes.
Sharwoods is good sauce. Their Tikka is what spurred me to track down a scratch recipe.

[Reply]
lewdog 08:45 PM 11-30-2015
I love Gyros.

What's an easy and similar way to do them at home? I realize it won't be like meat cooked on a rotisserie.
[Reply]
lewdog 08:50 PM 11-30-2015
I made a really easy shrimp el diablo last weekend. Take one can of tomatoes, 3-5 (depending on spice level) chipotle peppers in adobo sauce and 1-2 gloves of garlic. Blend to a puree. Heat puree on stove until it's simmering. Add shrimp and cook for 4-5 minutes. Top on a bed of rice and sauteed bell peppers and onions.

It was so easy. I recipe from my Mexican co-worker.

I also made homemade salsa from the Sante Fe peppers I grew, just ripened (lol Phoenix), and she said it was some of the best salsa she's ever had. That was neat.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 08:50 PM 11-30-2015
Originally Posted by lewdog:
I love Gyros.

What's an easy and similar way to do them at home? I realize it won't be like meat cooked on a rotisserie.
Find an ethnic market. With any luck they'll carry gyro meat [so far as I can tell, there's no special name for it or anything. Everywhere I go just calls it 'gyro meat']. It's usually pre-sliced about the size of a candy bar and about as thick as philly steak slices.

Go with the lamb, chicken's OK, but not nearly as good as lamb.

You can heat it up in a skillet, or in a pan like bacon in the oven, or even in a toaster oven. I use a convection oven because it's easy, and it's tough to overcook the meat.

If they have the meat it's almost guaranteed they'll have tzatziki. Otherwise, tzatziki, kalamata olives, feta and pitas can usually be found in any decent market.

Then it's just a matter of romaine, onion and tomato you can pick up anywhere.
[Reply]
lewdog 09:00 PM 11-30-2015
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
Find an ethnic market. With any luck they'll carry gyro meat [so far as I can tell, there's no special name for it or anything. Everywhere I go just calls it 'gyro meat']. It's usually pre-sliced about the size of a candy bar and about as thick as philly steak slices.

Go with the lamb, chicken's OK, but not nearly as good as lamb.

You can heat it up in a skillet, or in a pan like bacon in the oven, or even in a toaster oven. I use a convection oven because it's easy, and it's tough to overcook the meat.

If they have the meat it's almost guaranteed they'll have tzatziki. Otherwise, tzatziki, kalamata olives, feta and pitas can usually be found in any decent market.

Then it's just a matter of romaine, onion and tomato you can pick up anywhere.

Did not know it came in a a "loaf" like that. Well that definitely helps.

Now I have to find an ethnic market.........
[Reply]
Baby Lee 09:03 PM 11-30-2015
Originally Posted by lewdog:
Did not know it came in a a "loaf" like that. Well that definitely helps.

No I have to find an ethnic market.........
It's a pressed sliced meat, just like bologna or salami, only with Mediterranean spices.

Now if you want an unsliced 'loaf' I've only seen it in the huge skewers [10-15 lbs] that gyro shops carry.
[Reply]
Pepe Silvia 10:06 AM 12-01-2015
I'm going to eat a bullet for my Christmas dinner in a few weeks.
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 10:10 AM 12-01-2015
Originally Posted by PackerinMo:
This is worrisome. I hope this is some kind of a joke I don't get.
[Reply]
BucEyedPea 10:14 AM 12-01-2015
Are you going to freeze some Bullet Proof coffee into a Popsicle? Or would that be a Fudgesicle; a coffsicle?
[Reply]
DaNewGuy 10:16 AM 12-01-2015
Dude the Packers will rebound, I know
It was a tough loss and all
[Reply]
Buehler445 10:24 AM 12-01-2015
Wife made spaghetti. Pasta purists will fucking crucify me, but it's all store bought. Store bought noodles, Prego, italian sausage. I'm quite certain you all could do better, but it was pretty goddamned good.

[Reply]
Page 41 of 1208
« First < 313738394041 4243444551911415411041 > Last »
Up