ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 18
< 123 456713 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Have you ever used a personal trainer?
SuperChief 12:42 PM 05-16-2022
Long story short, my wife and I are both starting a new journey w/ fitness and food. We're seeing a dietician soon to get some help with the food part, but we've also been considering getting a personal trainer (either one for both of us or separate - either option is on the table).

Does anyone here have experience with one? What are some good questions to ask to make sure I get the "right" one? Any tips to set us up for success in this process?
[Reply]
SupDock 02:05 PM 05-16-2022
Originally Posted by Bearcat:
Yeah, torn as well.

I did a good amount of research on my own, so on one hand I'd say a personal trainer could save time, but only if they're good... I feel like there would still be things I'd go home and research if only getting one opinion on the matter.

My initial thoughts...
- Think an infinite game. Not "90 days to a better you" where you make a ton of huge changes all at once. It's one thing if you do have an immediate goal (lose 20 pounds for a specific thing), but so much of it is about balance and sustainability.

- If you're looking to gain muscle, it's all about progressive overload, and at least for a beginner, you don't need to lift 6 days/week. The general rule I've seen is anywhere from 10-20 sets per muscle per week, and much over 5 sets per muscle in one workout is excessive and probably has no more ROI. I personally did 3 days/week full body for a while with good results.

- Diet... again, sustainability. Don't deprive yourself, but look at moderation. Counting calories has always worked out far better than not for me when needing to lose a few pounds.

- Feed your good habits with things that keep you going down that path. Walked/jogged consistently for a couple months? Buy a better pair of running shoes or ear buds for jogging or a nice smart watch.
Lift for a few months? Buy some home gym stuff for new exercises or accessories for the gym.
Sure, reward yourself with a beer sometimes, just don't be too self destructive... and feeding the good habits has worked really well for me because it keeps things new and you don't want to waste the dollars invested once it becomes a habit (as opposed to spending $2k on a treadmill day one).
This is spot on.
[Reply]
notorious 02:07 PM 05-16-2022
Don't have food in the house you shouldn't be eating.

My wife is horrible about bringing sweets home. FFS STOP!!!!!

We all have our moments of weakness. Make it harder to relapse on the bad stuff.
[Reply]
lewdog 03:04 PM 05-16-2022
Originally Posted by Vladimir_Kyrilytch:
Is lewdog a physical fitness guy? I knew there was more to lew than the common jew knew. Lou: is it possible for a guy like me to do a pull up? I have 14 pounds of dead weight that most men dont have. Its my atypically large penis. Advice?
Are you calling me a Jew?!
[Reply]
loochy 03:05 PM 05-16-2022
Originally Posted by lewdog:
Are you calling me a Jew?!
Don't hire a Jew personal trainer
[Reply]
SuperChief 03:07 PM 05-16-2022
Thanks for chiming in, folks! I really appreciate the input and advice.

My wife and I both have experience lifting weights, so the main thing we're looking for is the accountability part of the arrangement. Personally, I'm the least motivated person in terms of lifting and cardio, so I am desperately needing someone to help me get started. I'm confident that, over time, I'll be able to pick up the routines and workout plans quickly and be able to take it over for myself.

Slow and steady, though. I'm absolutely looking more into the "lifestyle" changes that some have mentioned already. I'm headed down the right path w/ nutrition (no soda, veggies w/ every meal, fairly clean eating overall), but it's the fitness part for which I need a swift kick in the arse.
[Reply]
ModSocks 03:14 PM 05-16-2022
Originally Posted by Bearcat:
- Feed your good habits with things that keep you going down that path. Walked/jogged consistently for a couple months? Buy a better pair of running shoes or ear buds for jogging or a nice smart watch.
Lift for a few months? Buy some home gym stuff for new exercises or accessories for the gym.

This strategy works well in my household. My wife treats "workout season" as an excellent time to splurge on all new excersice outfits and shoes etc.

Counter Point: My fitbit is such a motivational workout tool that i have a hard time going max effort w/o it on. If i can't gloat about my calorie burn and remarkably low heart rate to effort ratio, then i'm not into it.

"Look baby, i just had a 700 calorie workout and my heart is still in cruising speed...Pffff im a goddamn finely tuned machine".
[Reply]
SupDock 03:17 PM 05-16-2022
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
This strategy works well in my household. My wife treats "workout season" as an excellent time to splurge on all new excersice outfits and shoes etc.

Counter Point: My fitbit is such a motivational workout tool that i have a hard time going max effort w/o it on. If i can't gloat about my calorie burn and remarkably low heart rate to effort ratio, then i'm not into it.

"Look baby, i just had a 700 calorie workout and my heart is still in cruising speed...Pffff im a goddamn finely tuned machine".

Im the same way. When I was running in the cool weather I would be so annoyed when I forgot my watch that I almost wouldn’t work out.
[Reply]
T-post Tom 03:18 PM 05-16-2022
I hear Eric Berry is looking for a job. In addition to training, he’ll be happy to polish any excess football helmets you may have about.
[Reply]
ModSocks 03:23 PM 05-16-2022
Originally Posted by SuperChief:
Thanks for chiming in, folks! I really appreciate the input and advice.

My wife and I both have experience lifting weights, so the main thing we're looking for is the accountability part of the arrangement. Personally, I'm the least motivated person in terms of lifting and cardio, so I am desperately needing someone to help me get started. I'm confident that, over time, I'll be able to pick up the routines and workout plans quickly and be able to take it over for myself.

Slow and steady, though. I'm absolutely looking more into the "lifestyle" changes that some have mentioned already. I'm headed down the right path w/ nutrition (no soda, veggies w/ every meal, fairly clean eating overall), but it's the fitness part for which I need a swift kick in the arse.
Sweet.

I mentioned in another thread that my wife and I (and now my son) are basically groundhogs.

We emerge from our holes to workout when spring hits, then we hibernate again in the winter. Been that way for well over a decade now, lol.

We make it a point to eliminate alcohol, chips and soda. Aside from that we eat however the fuck we want. I understand that isn't the BEST thing to do, but so fucking what.

We're staying in shape. Looking good for our age. Keeping our "beach bodies" ready to go for the next hot summer beach day.

At this point im too old and too busy to give a fuck about 6 pack abs or looking perfect in my Calvin's. Eat good, live how you want. Just eliminate the pointless REAL bad shit. Booze, chips, soda.

I just feel like calorie counting and stressing over that shit simply puts too much stress on a person and sets forth some often difficult and unrealistic expectations. Im not saying it's not effective, just that i'm past the point of caring, and i can see gains and FEEL gains w/o it.
[Reply]
InChiefsHeaven 03:40 PM 05-16-2022
I'm gonna blow the trumpet for Orange Theory Fitness. It's a coach led class style workout, about an hour per workout. I've been doing it for 4 years. Oddly I have not lost much weight, but I have gained a tremendous (for a 51 year old guy) amount of muscle, balance and stamina and I've lost a lot of fat. I'm not a six pack abs guy, but I look good in my clothes and my arms are pretty stout.

The workouts are fun, and they also have (how many per year depends on the membership you sign up for) a BMI index scale that will let you know your fat and muscle content so you can track your progress. You work out with a heart monitor and you can see the amount of calories, your heart rate, and the amount of time your heart is at 84% or higher, which is the "orange zone". It really helps to see what your body is doing as you work out. The studio I'm at is like a family. I go on the same nights every week so I have gotten to know many of the other members, and that helps for accountability as well. They also have consultations with the coaches, and all of our coaches really know their stuff.

Diet and routine is key. You can't outwork a bad diet. That's frankly been my biggest stumbling block. BUT...I don't drink nearly as much as I used to, and my wife and I both are eating clean and cooking at home. We rarely go out to eat, and if we do, it's even more rare that it's a fast food thing.

Basically, it ain't cheap, but if you consider how many times you go in a month and divide your cost by that, it's hella cheap for a coached workout in a friendly environment that gives solid results, IF you stick with it. There's probably a studio in your area. I highly recommend at least giving them a call. I think they give you a free workout so you can see what it's all about. I used to be a planet fitness guy, but I didn't really know how to push myself. I am now able to run (Never used to do that) and I am lifting much heavier weights than I ever used to. For what it's worth, they have an annual Transformation Challenge that they do, and this year, I took 2nd place...which was bloody amazing to me.

Give it a try and good luck!
[Reply]
SupDock 03:44 PM 05-16-2022
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
Sweet.

I mentioned in another thread that my wife and I (and now my son) are basically groundhogs.

We emerge from our holes to workout when spring hits, then we hibernate again in the winter. Been that way for well over a decade now, lol.

We make it a point to eliminate alcohol, chips and soda. Aside from that we eat however the fuck we want. I understand that isn't the BEST thing to do, but so fucking what.

We're staying in shape. Looking good for our age. Keeping our "beach bodies" ready to go for the next hot summer beach day.

At this point im too old and too busy to give a fuck about 6 pack abs or looking perfect in my Calvin's. Eat good, live how you want. Just eliminate the pointless REAL bad shit. Booze, chips, soda.

I just feel like calorie counting and stressing over that shit simply puts too much stress on a person and sets forth some often difficult and unrealistic expectations. Im not saying it's not effective, just that i'm past the point of caring, and i can see gains and FEEL gains w/o it.

I think it depends a lot on the person. I have spoke with a lot of people that struggle with their weight. Many of them are convinced they are in a calorie deficit and cannot lose weight because “that’s just how my body is”

Calorie counting is the only solution I see to this issue, and even with tracking most people still don’t accurately track.
[Reply]
ModSocks 03:45 PM 05-16-2022
Originally Posted by SupDock:
I think it depends a lot on the person. I have spoke with a lot of people that struggle with their weight. Many of them are convinced they are in a calorie deficit and cannot lose weight because “that’s just how my body is”

Calorie counting is the only solution I see to this issue, and even with tracking most people still don’t accurately track.
Oh for sure.
[Reply]
InChiefsHeaven 03:49 PM 05-16-2022
Originally Posted by SupDock:

One thing I have learned over the last 4 years is...counting calories is not the be all end all. You have to look at what you are eating. In fact, my coaches have been having me eat MORE than I thought I should, concentrate on protein and when I lift, I lift as heavy as I can. Quality reps over quantity, and time under tension, so go slow. It ain't a race, and it's about your body, not the fitness model on YouTube. That's just me, but I really saw improvement this year. I don't even get on the scale anymore, I go by how my clothes fit.
[Reply]
ModSocks 03:53 PM 05-16-2022
Originally Posted by InChiefsHeaven:
One thing I have learned over the last 4 years is...counting calories is not the be all end all. You have to look at what you are eating. In fact, my coaches have been having me eat MORE than I thought I should, concentrate on protein and when I lift, I lift as heavy as I can. Quality reps over quantity, and time under tension, so go slow. It ain't a race, and it's about your body, not the fitness model on YouTube. That's just me, but I really saw improvement this year. I don't even get on the scale anymore, I go by how my clothes fit.
Idk how i feel about that whole low and slow vs light and fast debate.

IMO, they're both effective strats as long as you're reaching atrophy and working out consistently.

Atrophy and consistency are what REALLY matters. Its up to you the path you wanna take to get there.
[Reply]
SupDock 03:54 PM 05-16-2022
Originally Posted by InChiefsHeaven:
This is mostly wrong, at least if your primary goal is weight loss. I’m not saying it’s wrong for everyone, it’s just usually wrong in my experience when dealing someone who has struglgled for years with losing weight. People know what it means to eat healthy, they just can’t sustainably do it.

The only thing at you lose weight is with a calorie deficit. All the diets, all the workouts are just mechanisms to create a deficit. Someone who cannot succeed with weight loss needs to find a long term way to create deficit

When I am counseling on weight loss, sometimes I don’t even talk about macro quality. People need to focus on volume eating. They need to find low calorie high volume foods so they can feel full. To me this is a different conversation than someone who is looking for dietary changes to be more healthy.
[Reply]
Page 3 of 18
< 123 456713 > Last »
Up