ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 6
< 123 456 >
Nzoner's Game Room>I have an important life decision to make
TLO 07:11 PM 05-15-2022
I've been offered the opportunity to go to our cooperate headquarters in Minnesota to train to become an area director for the corporation I work with.

Right now I make $60k a year. And I'm generally happy with what I do. The area director position is like 85k a year.

The issue is, I don't think I have the money to live in Minnesota for 3 months. I'd be moving back to the KC area after I finish, and I'd want to keep the place I have in KC.

I'm not quite sure what to do. :-)
[Reply]
ThyKingdomCome15 09:08 PM 05-15-2022
Originally Posted by Hoover:
Just tell the you want to do it, but just can’t swing the apartment thing. I bet they figure something out.
I like this advice. I second this.
[Reply]
Iowanian 09:15 PM 05-15-2022
Don’t be afraid to invest in yourself. There is a way.

They should be paying per diem if it’s a temporary work obligation. That should cover expenses there and put money in your pocket if you do it right. There are cheaper rent by the week hotel suites geared towards construction and business types. It doesn’t have to be fancy if it’s clean.

If they aren’t doing something to help or per diem id consider that an example of red flags long term.
[Reply]
BryanBusby 09:57 PM 05-15-2022
Yeah they will likely be covering your room, boarding, transportation and meals dude.
[Reply]
oldman 10:32 PM 05-15-2022
Originally Posted by TripleThreat:
I seen a few others mention it but coming from someone who knows a thing or two about what companies should and shouldn’t provide, your company should be providing you with room and board if they are having you move somewhere to accommodate training. Obviously with private companies it can be a little gray and they can simply say no, but depending on your work (government jobs usually pay) when requesting accomodations for training they should either provide to you a specific location of their choosing, or have you choose your location and you pay OOP and have you submit probably end of month receipts of your stay to be reimbursed accordingly. But again, it really depends on what/who you work for

I mean shit, in my state your employer has to pay %20 of your internet bill if they are having you work from home and barely anyone knows about that for some reason where I live. There’s a lot employers should be providing you but won’t provide it until requested. Best advice, generally voice your concerns and ask what accommodations they will provide. For example my sister had to go somewhere for a year worth of training for her job and they did not provide her with any accomodations in her move but that was laid out in the fine print before switching positions. If it’s not been provided in the fine print, I’d definitely inquire..
I'd 2nd this. Most legit companies will pay for travel, housing, and meals if the training is over 25 miles from home. Depending on how long the training is, most will pay for travel to and from the employee's home base on occasion (1 weekend every 3-4 weeks).
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 04:40 AM 05-16-2022
This is really surprising to me!

I can't believe you actually have a job.
[Reply]
Flying High D 06:02 AM 05-16-2022
Make sure they pay for your laundry. Same outfit for 3 months could be very unsanitary. Make sure you put cameras in your house if you rent it out. You want to make you catch all the areas where the renter rubbed one out. You can always ask for $3.2k a month for living quarters allowance like the rest of us do. Plus, $285 a day per diem.
[Reply]
ChiTown 06:19 AM 05-16-2022
Take the gig. You are young, and just about everything is recoverable at this point in your life. Negotiate whatever you can for living expenses, but don’t miss out on an opportunity to advance your career if you really like the company. Sometimes you have to risk a little in order to make more.

Good luck!
[Reply]
scho63 06:19 AM 05-16-2022
They should be giving you a stipend of $2,500 a month or more for the time you are there.
[Reply]
scho63 06:21 AM 05-16-2022
If you like the company you work for and see more promotion / salary increases in the future, go for it. You would be foolish NOT to.

Sounds like a lot of worrying over nothing.
[Reply]
steve_minor 06:45 AM 05-16-2022
I would be surprised if they don't offer some money for housing. If they don't and you want to do it. If you plan to drive up to MN there are cheaper options outside the city with cheap bus transportation downtown. Check out areas like Chaska for rent. I think there might be an extended stay in Eden Prairie with a major bus hub there as well.

Good luck in your decision!!!
[Reply]
IA_Chiefs_fan 06:55 AM 05-16-2022
Just split your raise with me in perpetuity and I'll make all the MN arrangements for you. See, nothing to worry about.
[Reply]
GloryDayz 06:57 AM 05-16-2022
Might want to look into something like this (corporate apartment), and see if they'll cover it.

https://www.blucorporatehousing.com/mn/minneapolis/
[Reply]
digger 07:03 AM 05-16-2022
Congrats and good luck!
[Reply]
displacedinMN 07:34 AM 05-16-2022
If they want to train you, they should give a stipend, or pay for housing.

You have to ask. It is not unreasonable in this job market.
[Reply]
Kiimo 07:38 AM 05-16-2022
Originally Posted by mlyonsd:
The biggest question to me is do I want the job. Hours, stress, etc.
You take the training and you take the job. If you hate it you leave and go do another job but now the jobs you're applying to are regional manager jobs with 85k. Promotions can end up being a bad fit but they look great on a resume.

The jump from 60 to 85 is substantial as well.
[Reply]
Page 3 of 6
< 123 456 >
Up