ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 4 of 7
< 1234 567 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Let's Talk About Caribbean Vacations
Bowser 09:47 AM 05-15-2022
So, the kid and I have decided to hit up a beach vacay next summer ('23). Beach getaways were a pretty regular thing while she was growing up, and it will have been five years since we've done one next summer. We had decided we were going to hit up an active retreat in Utah complete with spa treatments and all that stuff, right up until I went to Mexico a few months back and sent her pics of the beach I was at which brought her to the decision that Utah can wait because she missed the beach so much. With that agreement out of the way, we have to decide WHICH beach to go enjoy. We both want to discover somewhere new, so that rules out Mexico, Jamaica, Bahamas, and the Dominican. I was eyeballing Aruba, one of the Saint islands (Lucia, Kitt, Maarten, Thomas), the Caymans, or maybe the Virgin Islands. All of these sound pricey on the surface, so I would love to hear some advice and stories of where you've traveled to go with the good and bad of the places!
[Reply]
Spott 01:52 PM 05-15-2022
Originally Posted by Coochie liquor:
Well, I guess if you’re going o just sit still and watch the ocean I’d be out too. But I’m never gonna be down for Montana, Alaska, or anywhere I can’t be in just a swimsuit for 90% of my vacation. I like warm/hot places. Tropical is ideal for me. We always hang at the pool, have fun with the entertainment, always end up at the night club dancing until early morning. I hate cold weather, and to me cold weather starts at 70 degrees.

Always plan an excursion, and when in Jamaica we try to make a day to go hang at our friends house.
I definitely prefer living in the same climate, but hiking in Montana for a few weeks was one of my favorite vacations. Of course I went in August so it was still in the 70’s there. Going skiing in the cold is a blast, too. I think the closest place to ski from here is in West Virginia. But there is certainly more to do on a tropical vacation than sit in a swimsuit and stare at the water. I’m actually going on a cruise in a couple of weeks which is definitely a perk of living in Florida.

So far, the only place I’ve been on vacation that I didn’t like was France. French people can truly get aids and die in a fire.
[Reply]
Rain Man 02:10 PM 05-15-2022
I've made day stops over the years in Grenada, St. Kitts, Antigua, Barbados, and Bonaire. I guess Bermuda too, though it's not really a Caribbean island. The one I would be most interested in going back to is Barbados. But then again I'm not a beach person at all, so I was more interested in walking around in town and doing tourist stuff.
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 02:28 PM 05-15-2022
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
I've made day stops over the years in Grenada, St. Kitts, Antigua, Barbados, and Bonaire. I guess Bermuda too, though it's not really a Caribbean island. The one I would be most interested in going back to is Barbados. But then again I'm not a beach person at all, so I was more interested in walking around in town and doing tourist stuff.
I enjoyed your freightliner cruise to Vietnam. Maybe that would be an option.
[Reply]
scho63 02:40 PM 05-15-2022
Barbados is nice and has a lot of wind surfing and other beach related activities but it's one of the farthest flights from the US along with Aruba, Curacao, and Trinidad / Tobago.
[Reply]
scho63 02:42 PM 05-15-2022
Have you ever thought of Cabo San Lucas?
[Reply]
2112 02:46 PM 05-15-2022
Been to Aruba twice. Had a great time both times. The last time I was there (2005) they had moved US customs to Aruba. Which was great because you weren’t stopped and strip searched when you got home. I bought a box of Cuban cigars back both times I went.

Also, if you like to golf get an early tee time because by mid day it’s like somebody opened the oven door.

FYI I went in the winter time both times because I can go to a beach anytime I want in the summertime here.
[Reply]
TinyEvel 02:53 PM 05-15-2022
Only places I've been in that region is Cancun, Cozumel and Turks and Caicos.

My wife loved Turks and Caicos, I didn't as much. To me it's a flat, dry island made mostly of coral and no hills/jungles. Yes the water is clear and sands white but I like snorkeling reefs and there was only one accessible from our hotel, a tiny one.

We did take a day boat trip out to the sea shelf and another kayak trip through mangrove shallows, which now that I think of it was pretty cool.

But overall in terms of things to do -- adventures outside of our Condo property -- it wasn't as much to do as other places I've been.

Big point is, what kind of vacation are you looking for? laying on the beach drinking most of the time? Nice restaurants, outdoor adventures? On/under the ocean adventures? Mixing with local population/interesting local lifestyle excursions? What one CPer liked vs. what you're looking for can be really different, obviously.

If your kid is young teen or younger, a sandals/Beaches place might be best due to the canned activities they have on those properties.
[Reply]
TinyEvel 02:57 PM 05-15-2022
Originally Posted by scho63:
Have you ever thought of Cabo San Lucas?
Better for college kids and young adult partiers, IMO unless you're staying at a resort in San Jose Del Cabo.

Downtown Cabo is a waste. Busy, commercial, dirty. And on the Pacific side the beaches are so rough you can't really swim. Not a fan.

Zihuatanejo is my favorite Pacific Coast town in Mexico.
[Reply]
Donger 02:59 PM 05-15-2022
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
I've made day stops over the years in Grenada
Circa 1983?
[Reply]
Coochie liquor 03:01 PM 05-15-2022
Originally Posted by BWillie:
It must be the people I've gone to tropical vacations with then. We just sit on the beach all day. Drink. After 4 hrs I'm always like -- uhmmm we gonna do anything? I guess we went scuba diving but other than that. Just staring at the ocean for 7 days in a row.
Yeah aside from the drinking part, that doesn’t sound fun. Believe me, when I’m there I’m turnt up to 10 and enjoying every second. Usually the staff come find me, and I get invited up on stage quite a bit.
[Reply]
PunkinDrublic 03:08 PM 05-15-2022
Not the Caribbean but I like off the beaten path type places. I spent two weeks in Puerto Escondido in Oaxaca, Mexico last month. Tiny ass airport but a cheap round trip flight from Mexico City. It was hot as balls and a little bit rustic with no high rise beach resorts but I enjoyed it. I always enjoy talking with the retired expats when I’m in Mexico.
[Reply]
Raiderhater 03:22 PM 05-15-2022
If not already mentioned, Roatán, Honduras. I even have my dream beach bar I can direct you to for your evenings (or days, I ain’t judging how you spend your time in tropical paradise). I seriously almost did not get back on the cruise ship that day.
[Reply]
Rain Man 03:25 PM 05-15-2022
Originally Posted by Donger:
Circa 1983?
I'm not allowed to talk about it.
[Reply]
Rain Man 03:27 PM 05-15-2022
Originally Posted by Hog's Gone Fishin:
I enjoyed your freightliner cruise to Vietnam. Maybe that would be an option.
Water, cool ocean breeze, catwalk to relax on, and Romanian food. I think it could work.
[Reply]
Coochie liquor 03:29 PM 05-15-2022
Originally Posted by scho63:
Barbados is nice and has a lot of wind surfing and other beach related activities but it's one of the farthest flights from the US along with Aruba, Curacao, and Trinidad / Tobago.
That’s why when we go for Carnival we are gonna do a week at Carnival where we stay at a hotel, then after the madness of Carnival is over we’re gonna do a week at all inclusive to relax and be pampered.

Foreday morning is the final night of Carnival. The parade starts at 1 am. We go parading through town jammin Soca music, and getting wild. It stops at sunup at the soccer stadium. The stadium is full of people, and we all dance and party in celebration of Crop Over. Man I cannot fucking wait. Color war, fette, mas, I’m stoked!
[Reply]
Page 4 of 7
< 1234 567 >
Up