ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>Top 10 Best Value Picks of the 2022 Draft
kccrow 09:35 PM 05-02-2022
Going to offer up my opinion on the best values in the draft. Feel free to post your own too.

1. Round 5, Selection 145 - OL Darian Kinnard, Kentucky - Kansas City Chiefs
It's not often you get an All-SEC lineman and two-time All-American (3rd team in 2020 and 1st team in 2021) in the 5th round but that's exactly what Kansas City got here. Even if he ends up inside at guard instead of right tackle, KC got a steal. Kinnard was projected to go in the middle of day two. To me, this was the biggest value in a draft that saw quite a few, especially for the Chiefs who make my list three times.

2. Round 1, Selection 26 - DE Jermaine Johnson II, Florida State - New York Jets
Widely considered a surefire top-15 player and potentially a top 8 selection in the days leading up to the draft (some even projected him at 4 to the Jets), Johnson fell down the board. The Jets flew up from the second round to grab Johnson where I quickly proclaimed "they won the draft" after landing outstanding players in Sauce Gardner and Garrett Wilson in the top 10. There's little doubt Johnson will be an immediate impact contributor in New York.

3. Round 3, Selection 76 - NT Travis Jones, Connecticut - Baltimore Ravens
Jones was talked about in most publications as a potential first-round pick and near-unanimous top 40 player, yet the Ravens snagged the powerful lineman in the middle of the third round. Jones gets to marinate in the rotation early on in Baltimore but could have been an immediate starter for most teams. I rank this amongst the best value propositions, especially with his scheme fit and the team he went to.

4. Round 3, Selection 103 - LB Leo Chenal, Wisconsin - Kansas City Chiefs
Widely considered among the top five linebackers in this class and the best strong-side projection, including the most ability to affect QBs ala Micah Parsons, Chenal ended up the 10th LB drafted and fell from a surefire second-round player to a late third-rounder. Chenal is a monster that is going to stake claim to his side of the field and thou shalt not pass.

5. Round 6, Selection 185 - CB Christian Benford, Villanova - Buffalo Bills
As teams were taking fliers on other FCS and Division II corners, the Bills waited and struck gold in the 6th with Benford who was the best CB in the FCS the past couple of seasons and probably should have been a 4th rounder. Benford had 47 career pass breakups and 14 career interceptions, including 18 and 7 respectively as a senior. Those are insane totals and he also has NFL size at 6'0" 208 to go with solid 4.5 speed and a 35" vertical. Those types of ball skills and attributes usually make it in the league.

6. Round 1, Selection 21 - CB Trent McDuffie, Washington - Kansas City Chiefs
Widely regarded as the 3rd best corner in the draft and a top 15 player (top 10 for some), the Chiefs were able to snag a potential star in the mold of Jaire Alexander at 21. The Chiefs will be able to deploy McDuffie all over the formation to take advantage of matchups. The fact they stole McDuffie from their newest rival in Buffalo probably just makes it a bit sweet for them.

7. Round 2, Selection 42 - CB Andrew Booth Jr, Clemson - Minnesota Vikings
Touted as one of the best press-man corners in the draft and a consensus round one player, the Vikings traded down and snagged Booth in the middle of the second round, getting tremendous value at a position of major need. The Vikings manipulated their draft position beautifully and ended up with two impact starters in their secondary as a result. Kudos.

8. Round 3, Selection 88 - WR Jalen Tolbert, South Alabama - Dallas Cowboys
There was no doubt that Tolbert exhibited a minimum of second-round talent but the Cowboys didn't subscribe to the run on WRs in the late second and let this guy fall into their laps after most teams took their guy earlier. Tolbert projects as a tremendous value and is similar to current Cowboy Michael Gallup. There is more than a passing chance that Tolbert outplays his draft position and ends up one of the better receivers in the crop.

9. Round 5, Selection 151 - RB Tyler Allgeier, Brigham Young - Atlanta Falcons
Allgeier is a horse with tremendous balance and power and showed out at BYU with back-to-back 1,000-yard seasons, including 1,600 yards in 2021 and a nation-leading 23 TDs. He doesn't bring a ton of 3rd down ability right out of the gate but he can be the lead in a committee and a damned fine one at that. In a league that takes RBs too early, the Falcons were patient and got a stud, which I expected to come off two rounds earlier, that fits their coach's style perfectly.

10. Round 7, Selection 223 - DE Isaiah Thomas, Oklahoma - Cleveland Browns
Thomas was never likely a day two prospect but most felt, and myself included, like high in the 4th round was probably where Thomas should go. The Browns ended up snagging this cat in the 7th round. Any time you can get a guy with his build and 7+ sacks in multiple seasons in a Power 5 conference, I think you have something to work with. Once this guy strengthens his lower half, he could be a really nice sleeper that can be starting strong side end that can get you 6-8 sacks regularly.
[Reply]
Halfcan 09:52 PM 05-02-2022
Veach did good!
[Reply]
JPH83 03:42 AM 05-03-2022
Love this, I'm taking out Chiefs picks because I'm not sure which to highlight, the below also aren't ranked, just a few I think are top steals.

Travis Jones - 76th - I really wanted us to swing for him. He might not have Chris Jones' pass-rush, but I think he'll bring a lot more pressure than some expect and he'll immediately stuff the run. Given Calais Campbell's age I think it's smart to retool at the position before it becomes a huge need, and it was kinda what I hoped the Chiefs would do. The one that got away for me and at that point a massive steal.

Bernhard Raimann - 77th - Colts needed a tackle, they got a borderline 1st rounder waaaay later. He might have some growing pains but his athleticism is unreal. I think he's going to be a great player and again I'm a little jealous we didn't go for him or Jones at the Cook pick.

Nakobe Dean - 83rd - IF he's fit, it's a steal. Can do it all, smart, a genuine leader, again a position of need and they got a 1st rounder miles later.

Calvin Austin III - 138th - Let's be honest if he's two inches taller he doesn't get to 138. Whatever the Steelers lack, it's not the ability to identify WR talent. DJ convinced me of him, and even if he's slot only I think he's going to be near enough impossible to cover there.

Kingsley Enagbare - 179th - Not a great athlete but an amazing get at this point in the draft. I'm not sure he offers the speed rush alternative I wanted for the Chiefs, but as a double dip he would've been great, just slipped between our picks. He's much, much better than his draft place imo.

Jamaree Salyer - 195th - Probably only a guard but I think he's this year's Trey Smith. Massive, violent, annoying that the Chargers got him.

UDFA - Kellen Deisch - Just think he's way better than this. Excellent athleticism but needs to work on his strength. I could absolutely see him sitting for a year and ultmately becoming a very competent RT.

I really like all of your picks kccrow as well, and I'd add Zaquandre White as a RB I think could be excellent, and Mike Rose as an LB I've not seen much talk of here but I could absolutely see make our roster as a UDFA.
[Reply]
kccrow 08:24 PM 05-03-2022
Nice JPH!

Salyer nearly made my list and was the last guy I axed off to shorten to ten.

I was up in the air on Dean but he did fall for legitimate injury concerns so I'm not entirely sure if it's good value or a good decision by other teams.

Enagbare could end up a steal too, no doubt. Solid player. I just question if he's got enough juice to really be an NFL pass rusher.
[Reply]
JPH83 12:32 AM 05-04-2022
Originally Posted by kccrow:
Nice JPH!

Salyer nearly made my list and was the last guy I axed off to shorten to ten.

I was up in the air on Dean but he did fall for legitimate injury concerns so I'm not entirely sure if it's good value or a good decision by other teams.

Enagbare could end up a steal too, no doubt. Solid player. I just question if he's got enough juice to really be an NFL pass rusher.
Yeah think I agree with all of that. Definitely a strong chance Enagbare just doesn't have the explosiveness.

One thing I didn't factor in, and I can't decide if it's a useful approach or not, is whether players were picked by teams who generally know about certain groups - WR, OL etc. I mean, I generally feel comfortable that Steelers know WRs and, i dunno, Packers know the OL. So if they swing for someone late who was also a consensus top player I might feel even more confident it's a good pick. Like I say, could be a dumb approach, it's a crap shoot after all.
[Reply]
kccrow 01:42 AM 05-04-2022
Originally Posted by JPH83:
Yeah think I agree with all of that. Definitely a strong chance Enagbare just doesn't have the explosiveness.

One thing I didn't factor in, and I can't decide if it's a useful approach or not, is whether players were picked by teams who generally know about certain groups - WR, OL etc. I mean, I generally feel comfortable that Steelers know WRs and, i dunno, Packers know the OL. So if they swing for someone late who was also a consensus top player I might feel even more confident it's a good pick. Like I say, could be a dumb approach, it's a crap shoot after all.
If the Packers take a tackle late, 9/10 times they are looking to convert him to guard. Rasheed Walker is probably a good bet. They are also phenomenal at plucking WRs from round 2 like Pittsburgh.

But yes, I think certain teams are pretty good at identifying some positions over others.

Baltimore at edge
New Orleans, Green Bay, and New England with Oline.
Minnesota on DLine
San Fran and Seattle at LB...

I mean, lists go on right. They don't always hit but they don't miss a whole bunch it seems. I don't know the factor in terms of late picks though.

I'm going off my gut feel about who I think got value though.

I liked Tampa's pick of Cade Otton at 106 too but didn't stick him in my final 10.
[Reply]
JPH83 06:28 AM 05-04-2022
If the Packers take a tackle late, 9/10 times they are looking to convert him to guard. Rasheed Walker is probably a good bet. They are also phenomenal at plucking WRs from round 2 like Pittsburgh.

But yes, I think certain teams are pretty good at identifying some positions over others.

Baltimore at edge
New Orleans, Green Bay, and New England with Oline.
Minnesota on DLine
San Fran and Seattle at LB...

I mean, lists go on right. They don't always hit but they don't miss a whole bunch it seems. I don't know the factor in terms of late picks though.

I'm going off my gut feel about who I think got value though.

I liked Tampa's pick of Cade Otton at 106 too but didn't stick him in my final 10.
Pretty much how I picked. I'll probably be wrong on at least half but that's the way it goes. It did feel like there was loads of value everywhere and far fewer mad reaches this year than in previous years. I'm struggling to think of a R1 pick I thought was nuts. Guess the Raiders didn't have one this year.
[Reply]
The Franchise 07:25 AM 05-04-2022
The Ravens getting Travis Jones that late definitely hurt.
[Reply]
JPH83 10:21 AM 05-04-2022
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
The Ravens getting Travis Jones that late definitely hurt.
For sure, fu**ers
[Reply]
Couch-Potato 01:44 PM 05-05-2022
#11 WR Justyn Ross
[Reply]
staylor26 02:32 PM 05-05-2022
Simple answer:

Pretty much all of the Chiefs and Ravens picks.
[Reply]
kccrow 08:24 PM 05-05-2022
Originally Posted by staylor26:
Simple answer:

Pretty much all of the Chiefs and Ravens picks.
Outside of a steal in Jones in the 3rd, the Ravens pretty much got guys where they should have gone. Good picks, but not tremendous values in my opinion. I also think Ojabo was a very large reach. We'll see how that ends up.

I loved Seattle's draft. I think they knocked it out of the park. I don't know if they really got these tremendous values that fell but they just took really good players at all the right spots.

Same goes for Pittsburgh, Indianapolis, Minnesota, and Dallas for me.

Green Bay and New York (Jets) had nice drafts too.

Speaking of the Jets... What a potential turnaround for them. All in my opinion but... Best CB, Best RB, Best WR, Top 5 DE, Top 4 TE.
[Reply]
Kellerfox 09:36 PM 05-05-2022
Outside of a steal in Jones in the 3rd, the Ravens pretty much got guys where they should have gone. Good picks, but not tremendous values in my opinion. I also think Ojabo was a very large reach. We'll see how that ends up.

I loved Seattle's draft. I think they knocked it out of the park. I don't know if they really got these tremendous values that fell but they just took really good players at all the right spots.

Same goes for Pittsburgh, Indianapolis, Minnesota, and Dallas for me.

Green Bay and New York (Jets) had nice drafts too.

Speaking of the Jets... What a potential turnaround for them. All in my opinion but... Best CB, Best RB, Best WR, Top 5 DE, Top 4 TE.
Hamilton was often projected as a top 5 pick. If you consider his drop being 3x projected he's just as big a steal as Jones (if not more).

Ojabo was perhaps taken in the expected range post-injury, but he's a top 15 talent when healthy and the early medical reports have been incredibly positive.

I hate the Ravens, but I think they got incredible value (as they always do).
[Reply]
kccrow 05:56 AM 05-06-2022
Originally Posted by Kellerfox:
Hamilton was often projected as a top 5 pick. If you consider his drop being 3x projected he's just as big a steal as Jones (if not more).

Ojabo was perhaps taken in the expected range post-injury, but he's a top 15 talent when healthy and the early medical reports have been incredibly positive.

I hate the Ravens, but I think they got incredible value (as they always do).
Only 3 safeties have been taken in the top 5 in the last 30 years and only 16 in the top 15.

1991 - Eric Turner (2), Stanley Richard (9)
1993 - Patrick Bates (12)
2002 - Roy Williams (8)
2004 - Sean Taylor (5)
2006 - Michael Huff (7), Donte Whitner (8)
2007 - LaRon Landry (6)
2010 - Eric Berry (5), Earl Thomas (14)
2012 - Mark Barron (7)
2013 - Kenny Vaccaro (15)
2016 - Karl Joseph (14)
2017 - Jamal Adams (6), Malik Hooker (15)
2018 - Minkah Fitzpatrick (11)

It's rare air to be a top 5 safety. There was some jockeying that he might be a fringe guy before he ran a bit on the slow side. So, I don't know if it's incredible value as much as it was that's about where he should have gone. It's certainly debatable and I won't argue strongly against you, but I'm more of the opinion that the 10-15 range was his appropriate slotting so it's difficult for me to say they got something they shouldn't have.

You all know my opinion on taking Ojabo in the 2nd. I think it's ridiculously stupid. I could end up the fool but we'll see. It'll be curious to see how Odeyingbo develops in Indy this season as a barometer. These 2 guys will certainly either strengthen or break my opinion on drafting with those types of injuries.
[Reply]
RealSNR 09:10 PM 05-06-2022
Oddly enough, I think Kinnard might be my least favorite pick of the entire Chiefs class even though just about every person (including me) thought it was pretty damn good value.

Things seem pretty cemented at OL, so unless he can play tackle some day (perhaps in the future, but maybe not this year) it looks like he's primarily going to be a replacement for Wylie down the road. That's okay... it's the 5th flipping round. It's just harder for me to get excited about something like that compared to everybody else we got.

Maybe that's Veach's fault for fucking nailing the first four rounds so goddamn hard that a fatty in the 5th (even one as promising as Kinnard) just seemed like a bit of a let down.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up