ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 33
< 12 345612 > Last »
Media Center>Star Trek: Strange New Worlds
Bowser 06:57 PM 04-03-2022
Maybe it's overkill having a thread for this, but meh.

[Reply]
KC_Connection 04:52 PM 05-01-2022
I remember reading at some point that this show was going to be fully episodic (like TOS) rather than serialized. Is that still the case? I'd prefer that, especially given new Trek has been largely a failure at telling serialized stories.
[Reply]
KC_Connection 09:53 PM 05-04-2022
https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com...first-reviews/

Originally Posted by :
By and large, this approach works. While it lacks “Discovery’s” ambition, “Strange New Worlds” also avoids that show’s struggles with serialization and scope, as each episode limits its focus to the story at hand. The result is as straightforward and direct as the show’s leading man, and nearly as likable. There’s no strain here, and while the more episodic style may be old-fashioned, it’s refreshing to watch something that isn’t pretending to be a 10-hour movie. – Zack Handlen, Variety

It doesn’t particularly care about the version of the Enterprise or its crew you may or may not be holding in your head, and heart. It simply wants to tell Trek stories the way they used to be told — one space battle, one diplomatic summit, one alien virus, one spatial anomaly, one transporter accident at a time. – Glen Weldon, NPR

So whereas the Discoveries and Picards of the world are focused on season-long Big Bad main arcs, Strange New Worlds is focusing on new stories each week, but also telling its characters’ stories over the long haul. Those are the season-long arcs, and man, does it really work in the first five. – Scott Collura, IGN Movies
Good early reviews. It's episodic and it sounds like it works well.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 09:55 PM 05-04-2022
Now I'm intrigued.

This is a lost art.
[Reply]
Frazod 06:58 AM 05-05-2022
Just finished watching the first episode. It wasn't great, but good enough. The cast is exponentially better than those of Discovery or Picard. And it actually feels like Star Trek.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 10:58 PM 05-05-2022
Originally Posted by Frazod:
Just finished watching the first episode. It wasn't great, but good enough. The cast is exponentially better than those of Discovery or Picard. And it actually feels like Star Trek.
Going old school Trek. No season long arc. Why not try it? Can’t be worse than Picard season 1.
[Reply]
Frazod 06:10 AM 05-06-2022
It basically felt like a typical do-gooder episode - could have easily been a NG or Voyager script.

And while I was never particularly fond of those types of episodes, at least it's familiar and better than the other crap they've served up lately.
[Reply]
listopencil 08:09 AM 05-06-2022
I watched the first episode. I liked it. The show has potential. It's already better than Dicksuckery, Voyager, and Picard.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 08:09 AM 05-06-2022
It basically felt like a typical do-gooder episode - could have easily been a NG or Voyager script.

And while I was never particularly fond of those types of episodes, at least it's familiar and better than the other crap they've served up lately.
That script could have been pitched and made in the 60's by Roddenberry for the original series.

Star Wars lost its way until it returned to its roots story telling in the Mandalorian. I hope Pike's crew can do the same.
[Reply]
listopencil 08:11 AM 05-06-2022
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
That script could have been pitched and made in the 60's by Roddenberry for the original series.

Star Wars lost its way until it returned to its roots story telling in the Mandalorian. I hope Pike's crew can do the same.
I almost agree with you. Roddenberry was a shit storyteller. The sci-fi writers were what made the episodes.
[Reply]
Snica 04:32 PM 05-06-2022
Definitely enjoyed this. Looking forward to where it goes. Anson Mount nails it as Pike.
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 01:30 PM 05-07-2022
First real Star Trek they've given us in a very long time.
[Reply]
Frazod 08:57 PM 05-07-2022
Originally Posted by Snica:
Definitely enjoyed this. Looking forward to where it goes. Anson Mount nails it as Pike.
Yeah, I really like him as Pike. I've mentioned before that he's pretty much a combination of Kirk and Picard.

I do kind of take issue with the foreknowledge of death bit. I mean, seriously, you know the day and place you're going to die - be somewhere else that day. Reminds me of an old Dilbert strip, where Dilbert is sentenced to death by Catbert for attacking a vending machine. In the last frame he says, "the execution is scheduled for tomorrow. I should call in sick." :-)
[Reply]
listopencil 09:29 PM 05-07-2022
Yeah, I really like him as Pike. I've mentioned before that he's pretty much a combination of Kirk and Picard.

I do kind of take issue with the foreknowledge of death bit. I mean, seriously, you know the day and place you're going to die - be somewhere else that day. Reminds me of an old Dilbert strip, where Dilbert is sentenced to death by Catbert for attacking a vending machine. In the last frame he says, "the execution is scheduled for tomorrow. I should call in sick." :-)
It's problematic but it sets up a hell of a series finale. Because Pike didn't die. He was taken to that fantasy planet of butt-brain aliens to live out his days with a pretend smoke show in pretend paradise.

[Reply]
Frazod 10:39 PM 05-07-2022
Originally Posted by listopencil:
It's problematic but it sets up a hell of a series finale. Because Pike didn't die. He was taken to that fantasy planet of butt-brain aliens to live out his days with a pretend smoke show in pretend paradise.
I really hope you didn't think that I didn't know that. :-)

Still, I think I'd prefer being healthy and vital in reality over the Talos IV illusion.
[Reply]
listopencil 11:01 PM 05-07-2022
I really hope you didn't think that I didn't know that. :-)

Still, I think I'd prefer being healthy and vital in reality over the Talos IV illusion.
Nah. It's just something that bothered me when watching the episode and I hope they play it off well.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 33
< 12 345612 > Last »
Up