ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 6 of 9
« First < 23456 789 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Herniated disc in neck...
penguinz 08:14 PM 03-02-2022
Anyone ever have to deal with this?

Causing nerve to get pinched and left arm is all but paralyzed and throbbing with insane amount of pain.

Already getting atrophied. Over an inch in circumference lost already.

MRI tomorrow and hopefully surgery or something to fix soon.
[Reply]
Mike in SW-MO 01:06 PM 03-11-2022
Originally Posted by stonedstooge:
I've had several epidurals over the past 20 years with some helping greatly, and others not so much.

Concerning the arthritis, a good anti-inflammatory seems to help with the pain (I take Meloxicam). I ran out of it for 3 days last week, and immediately would wake up with pain in my spine and fingers. Once I got the script refilled, those pains disappeared within 2 days. Make sure and request an anti-inflammatory from your doctor. Made a world of difference in my case.
The neurologist's PA said to get portable neck traction & do 5-10 pounds 2 x per day & take 800 mg ibuprofen 3 x per day until I am seen next week.

Just picked up the traction contraption over lunch. Interested to see what it does.
[Reply]
stonedstooge 01:31 PM 03-11-2022
Originally Posted by Mike in SW-MO:
The neurologist's PA said to get portable neck traction & do 5-10 pounds 2 x per day & take 800 mg ibuprofen 3 x per day until I am seen next week.

Just picked up the traction contraption over lunch. Interested to see what it does.
It'll try to make you look like Harvey Williams
[Reply]
penguinz 01:34 PM 03-11-2022
Originally Posted by Mike in SW-MO:

Make sure you are drinking a crap ton of water. Taking that much ibuprofen for and extended time is hell on your kidneys.

Being well hydrated will help clean it out of your kidneys.
[Reply]
penguinz 09:37 AM 03-17-2022
Getting epidural today. Hopefully it works. If not then disc replacement.
[Reply]
stonedstooge 09:52 AM 03-17-2022
Originally Posted by penguinz:
Good luck. Hope it stops your pain
[Reply]
stevieray 09:52 AM 03-17-2022
Good fortune to you.
[Reply]
penguinz 01:34 PM 03-17-2022
Just got infected. hope it works
[Reply]
Gravedigger 02:41 PM 03-17-2022
Find a place with cold swim lanes and hot tubs. Take ibuprofen before you go. Get into the cold lanes and swim a few laps, whatever stroke helps stretch the problem area for you. Since your issue is upper body you can even just walk while stretching your shoulders, arms, etc from one side to the other. Then get out and soak it in the hot tub, letting the jets hit it and doing arm motion exercises while doing it. Then back out and repeat and go home to rest.

I had an L4 L5 herniated disk a long time ago, went through chiropractor, didn’t help but one day in the two months I did it. Went to physical therapy and was stretched out every morning, given stretches to do at home, and given electro therapy and massage. Nobody, not my doctor, not the chiropractor and not the physical therapists told me what I put in this first paragraph, not one. I had a membership to Lifetime Fitness, same gym I hurt my back to begin with, so I decided to just go and swim since it was the last thing outside of shots and surgery that was presented to me. My back healed from the low impact motion and exercise in less than two months. Not saying it will work for you but if you’re being told, or not told, the same things I was, this will cost you far less to at least try.
[Reply]
manchambo 04:29 PM 03-17-2022
I have been dealing for several years with a cervical spine herniation and a lumbar herniation. One think I've noticed is that my neck responds much better to physical therapy exercises than the back--with my neck, I can get pain relief quickly with certain exercises (mostly, resistance, like wrap a towel around the head and push back on it with the neck).

As for surgery, if they think they can do something to trim a portion of the disc that's pushing on the nerve, go for it. If they start talking fusion, that's a whole other kettle of fish. Cutting away something that's pushing on the nerve usually works. Fusion is riskier, sometimes makes it worse.

If injections work, but don't last very long, you could consider a procedure to burn the nerve roots. That usually lasts longer.
[Reply]
DJJasonp 04:42 PM 03-17-2022
Been in a few car wrecks. Played soccer, goal keeper, at a high level through college and had lots of collisions with other players the ground and one time a goal post.

Lots of other stupid shit kids did in the 80s that should have probably killed us...

Nothing recent I can think of.

Same here. Goalkeeper in indoor soccer for many years. My body is wrecked from it. Have 3 MRIs scheduled for next week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Reply]
penguinz 05:28 PM 03-17-2022
Originally Posted by manchambo:
I have been dealing for several years with a cervical spine herniation and a lumbar herniation. One think I've noticed is that my neck responds much better to physical therapy exercises than the back--with my neck, I can get pain relief quickly with certain exercises (mostly, resistance, like wrap a towel around the head and push back on it with the neck).

As for surgery, if they think they can do something to trim a portion of the disc that's pushing on the nerve, go for it. If they start talking fusion, that's a whole other kettle of fish. Cutting away something that's pushing on the nerve usually works. Fusion is riskier, sometimes makes it worse.

If injections work, but don't last very long, you could consider a procedure to burn the nerve roots. That usually lasts longer.
Won't be fusion. It will be disc replacement. Supposed to keep flexibility same as natural disc.
[Reply]
manchambo 06:07 PM 03-17-2022
Won't be fusion. It will be disc replacement. Supposed to keep flexibility same as natural disc.
I would have a long talk with the doctor about that. I haven’t looked into it in several years, but the first artificial discs were sometimes spotty in performance. In fact, they used to say that many of the ones that were successful actually wound up turning into fusions (the bone grew back through the disc and immobilized the whole joint).

But the artificial discs have gotten better and (I think) it’s easier in the cervical level than the lumbar level because it doesn’t bear as much weight.
[Reply]
penguinz 06:45 PM 03-17-2022
Originally Posted by Reroka:
This,

but my surgery was not as successful. I am still a little pain not as much. I have to take painkillers to this day.
If you can get it try some FECO. I slept for more than 2 consecutive hours, almost 6 hours, for the first time last night using FECO
[Reply]
Rasputin 11:33 PM 03-17-2022
Oh fuck I hope it went well

I had to get three before my back surgery

the first one didn't work

oh ok doctor get another one

second one didn't fucking work

get another one well that' didnd't fucking work either.

sorry but that shit hurt and I ended up having surgery like I knew I needed with or without MRI I knew my back was fucked.

I hope your epidural works and I'll pray that you don't need a disk replacement. Seriously I hope and pray the epidural works for you.
[Reply]
penguinz 10:26 AM 03-18-2022
Originally Posted by Rasputin:
Oh **** I hope it went well

I had to get three before my back surgery

the first one didn't work

oh ok doctor get another one

second one didn't ****ing work

get another one well that' didnd't ****ing work either.

sorry but that shit hurt and I ended up having surgery like I knew I needed with or without MRI I knew my back was ****ed.

I hope your epidural works and I'll pray that you don't need a disk replacement. Seriously I hope and pray the epidural works for you.
I hope it works. Should have a better idea in the next few days. Fortunately my doc isn't going to make me keep getting them if it didn't take. She said if the first doesn't work then do the replacement and virtually guarantee relief.
[Reply]
Page 6 of 9
« First < 23456 789 >
Up