ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 9 of 29
« First < 56789 1011121319 > Last »
Media Center>So....Dune 2020. Cool?
Amnorix 03:03 PM 08-19-2019
I learned today for the first time that a remake of the awesome book (and decidedly less awesome early 80s movie) Dune is being made, and is currently in post-production with a release date of December 18, 2020.

The cast includes many I don't know, but the ones I do know seem excellent for their roles. It's damn near a Marvel reunion...

Jason Mamoa as Duncan Idaho (the swordmaster of House Atreides)

Josh Brolin as Gurney Halleck (weaponsmaster of House Atreides, played memorably (and surprisingly) by Patrick Stewart in the original movie

Stellan Skarsgard as Baron Harkonnen

Dave Bautista (better known as Drax the Destroyer) as "Beast" Rabban, the nephew of Harkonnen

The most critical guy -- the one playing Paul is unknown to me. https://www.imdb.com/name/nm3154303/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cl_t3

This film is also only going to cover the first half of the book, which is good. It's really not possible to cover the whole thing in one 2 or 3 hour movie.

Anyway -- I love the book and a really good film would be great. What say you about all this news? Or am I just the last to known (as would be typical, to be honest!)
[Reply]
listopencil 04:15 AM 07-23-2021
Originally Posted by Frazod:
Certainly looks better than the previous shit efforts.

Except....

The Fremen eyes are still wrong. BEADS OF DARK GLASS. It's right there in the fucking book. :-)
The Baron isn't fat enough.
Gurney is supposed to be lumpy and ugly. And Josh Brolin is about as ugly as Patrick Stewart.

One the other hand, it looks right. The combat is hand-to-hand, as its supposed to be. No weirding modules. And I do like the way the shields look. And they did a great job with the sandworms.

Oh well. I'm fairly convinced at this point that the only person who could do Dune to my complete satisfaction is me. And since that's not going to happen, I guess I'll hold out hope that the good will outweigh the bad.
I'm quietly waiting and hoping for the best. The source material is epic sci-fi at its best. To the point of bending genres so much that it's too complicated to nail it down as anything other than great classic sci-fi. I don't know if the books actually can be faithfully done in this format. So...just hoping for the best.
[Reply]
Valiant 08:17 PM 07-23-2021
Originally Posted by Shoes:
Another Dune trailer, Oct 22 release date. Enjoy:

I hope it is great, just gave me feelings of a cross between starwars sequels and twilight Mixed in the dune universe.

Needs to be 4 hours minimum or split into 2 movies.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 08:43 PM 07-23-2021
Originally Posted by Valiant:

or split into 2 movies.
This is part 1. But they haven’t committed to a part 2 yet. Only if this makes enough money will we get part 2.
[Reply]
Barret 09:20 PM 07-23-2021
Do you feel with the adding of larger names to this film it might attract more followers? Could that be the draw so it is not a flop? Then once drawn into the story a part 2 could be released.

Another question....where do you think they would stop part 1 at if they were going to split this in 2? When Paul drinks the water of life or some other time?
[Reply]
Valiant 10:34 PM 07-23-2021
Originally Posted by Deberg_1990:
This is part 1. But they haven’t committed to a part 2 yet. Only if this makes enough money will we get part 2.
Shit. HBO will hurt that imo.
[Reply]
sully1983 11:42 PM 07-23-2021
Originally Posted by Valiant:
I hope it is great, just gave me feelings of a cross between starwars sequels and twilight Mixed in the dune universe.

Needs to be 4 hours minimum or split into 2 movies.
Ouch Twilight??? Really? And it should easily blow JJ Abrams' stupid SW sequels out of the water in terms of quality story and looks a lot more like mature/adult sci fi entertainment than the new Star Wars shit sequels. It obviously won't make SW or Lord of the Rings box office bank. I'm just hoping for a huge sci fi epic.

The cast is LOADED from top to bottom and is directed by one of the best /most visionary filmmakers working today. I'm very confident that this is going to delver the goods.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 10:41 AM 07-24-2021
Originally Posted by sully1983:
I'm very confident that this is going to delver the goods.
A sequel hasn't even been greenlit yet so I wouldn't be too confident at this point in time.
[Reply]
Frazod 12:06 PM 07-24-2021
I like the idea that they're breaking up the story into two movies. One of the numerous failings of the Lynch abortion was trying to compress too much content into too little time.

Seems like they would have been better served to film both parts at once. It obviously would be more economical to continue shooting when everything and everybody is in place, rather than have to wrap and then start all over again. The entire second half of the book (minus Feyd's gladiatorial duel with the Atreides warrior on Giedi Prime) takes place on Arrakis.

If it is good, which despite my extremist nitpicking I think it will be, my biggest fear is that it won't do well enough to rate the conclusion, and that would be a goddamned shame.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 02:54 AM 07-25-2021
Finally got around to the documentary on Jodowarksi's vision, and as much as there is to admire. In the end we may be glad to have waited.

The good;

the concept of musical artists in the soundtrack tied to the families, Pink Floyd for Atriedes, Magma for Harkonnen, etc.

Many of the casting choices, Dali for emporer, Orson Welles, Mick Jaggar.

The art team, Giger, Moebius, O'Connor, Foss.

There are two things I think that were fatal to the vision. Special effects were not at the right place to give the vision justice yet at that time. Could have been MAYBE as good as SW-ANH, but could have been Zardoz or Flash Gordon, . . . or Lynch's Dune. Also, the baroque and ornate has always, IMO, detracted from the narrative. The visuals should be Bedouin and dusty, practical utilitarian.

The story of Dune is best served by relatable regular people, transformed by environment and hedonism into realistic extensions of people. Fremen should be hardy and powerful but lithe and deprived by eons of moisture scavenging. Baron Harkonnen should be grotesque [he needs gravity assist tech to move around, ferchrissakes], but like a flabby but imposing Colonel Kurtz, not a glistening pitiable monster in a fat suit like Fat Bastard. The spaceships and planetary vehicles should be weathered and utilitarian as well, not ornate artworks that display the creators imagination more than their usefulness.

There is still room for tons of detail, the stitching and drape of costumes. The weathering of tools and weapons and the untold tales they bring to life. But the story is better served by a sense of weather and use, to convey the universal reliability of the fantastical tale. Much like something SW, ESPECIALLY ANH was brilliant at. Malfunctioning service droids and improvised weapons and dark and seedy juke joints and clothes people actually would wear every day of their lives.
[Reply]
Frazod 05:46 AM 07-25-2021
I'll have to give that a look. It was always (and still is) Orson Welles that I picture in my mind's eye as the Baron. His size and rumbling voice fit the character perfectly. I always pictured a 60's era Ernest Borgnine as Halleck.

When it comes to Leto and Paul, I always thought they should be portrayed by the same actor. Even back in the 70's and 80's, this would have been easy enough to pull off with a little makeup and platform shoes to give Leto a little height difference, since they really don't share that many scenes together. In the book, when Gurney first encounters a transformed Paul in the desert his appearance is described as a ghost image of Leto. Chalamet looks nothing like Oscar, just as MacLachlan looked nothing like Prochnow.

Oh well. I was not consulted.
[Reply]
unlurking 06:45 AM 07-25-2021
Originally Posted by Frazod:
Fuck you, idiot. Nothing I said was political. Obviously the same can't be said of your blast of horseshit. Also, you don't need to be a conservative to hate Colbert; all you need is a functional soul.

Apologies to the other participants in this thread. I couldn't let this crap pass.
lol

Maybe I over reacted to your comment, and if so, my apologies. I'm just sick of the blatant backhanded tribal attacks that infest so many of the non-DC threads.
[Reply]
unlurking 06:48 AM 07-25-2021
Originally Posted by sully1983:
Ouch Twilight??? Really? And it should easily blow JJ Abrams' stupid SW sequels out of the water in terms of quality story and looks a lot more like mature/adult sci fi entertainment than the new Star Wars shit sequels. It obviously won't make SW or Lord of the Rings box office bank. I'm just hoping for a huge sci fi epic.

The cast is LOADED from top to bottom and is directed by one of the best /most visionary filmmakers working today. I'm very confident that this is going to delver the goods.
Yeah, I don't get the Star Wars / Twilight comparison. Granted, I haven't seen any of the Twilight movies (apparently there a shit ton of them as they seem to fill the Top 10 on Netflix right now) or the last Star Wars movie after flying space Leia, but it still seem a little overly pessimistic!
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 07:48 AM 07-25-2021
This is the biggest film of the year. It will do fine if COVID doesn't wreck shit.

The only thing that might steal box office from it is the new Bond film, or possibly Jackass.
[Reply]
sully1983 07:58 AM 07-25-2021
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
A sequel hasn't even been greenlit yet so I wouldn't be too confident at this point in time.
Oh I am well aware of that. I am specifically talking about Part 1 that comes out in October of this year. All I was getting at regarding the director "delivering the goods" is I'm confident that it'll be an entertaining sci fi epic. If we don't get a Part 2 (which mostly we won't sadly) at least Denis Villeneuve was able to bring some of it to life and I can't wait to see it in theaters.
[Reply]
sully1983 08:03 AM 07-25-2021
Originally Posted by unlurking:
Yeah, I don't get the Star Wars / Twilight comparison. Granted, I haven't seen any of the Twilight movies (apparently there a shit ton of them as they seem to fill the Top 10 on Netflix right now) or the last Star Wars movie after flying space Leia, but it still seem a little overly pessimistic!
Oh man whatever you do, don't ever watch the Twilight saga movies. Some of the worst /stupid cringe worthy shit I've ever seen. Back when Twilight was all the rage among the female demographic all around the globe, I was dating this chick that was obsessed with that crap. She was hot and had a pretty good personality and could suck a golfball out of a garden hose when it came to giving head so I endured watching most of them with her.

The cast of DUNE is loaded from top to bottom and I can't wait to see all these talented actors interact with each other.
[Reply]
Page 9 of 29
« First < 56789 1011121319 > Last »
Up