ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 16 of 26
« First < 61213141516 17181920 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Dropped passes
frozenchief 10:05 PM 12-05-2021
Why can’t we catch the ball? Kielce, Pringle, and Tyreek all dropped catchable passes. those drops really screwed our offensive production. Tyreek’s ‘drop’ led to an interception.

What is going on? Are Kielce and Tyreek injured? What do we do for this season? Drafting or free agency are good answers for next season, not this one. the dropped passes aren’t such an issue with Denver but come playoffs, they will be really large.

I have no idea what is going on or why this is happening now and would love to hear any comments/suggestions.
[Reply]
O.city 02:49 PM 12-06-2021
What LB? There's no one between him and Hill once he waited for the 2nd window, or alteast that was my watch.

I would expect Hill to make that catch. But I would also expect my QB to not miss hot and High across the middle from 8 yards away.
[Reply]
O.city 02:50 PM 12-06-2021
Originally Posted by KC_Connection:
Or just have an offensive line that doesn't unnecessarily hold when Mahomes is doing the very thing that makes him one of the best QBs ever.
It's just unnecessary.
[Reply]
OnTheWarpath15 02:50 PM 12-06-2021
Originally Posted by O.city:
What LB? There's no one between him and Hill once he waited for the 2nd window, or alteast that was my watch.

I would expect Hill to make that catch. But I would also expect my QB to not miss hot and High across the middle from 8 yards away.
Yeah, all I see is a huge alleyway.
[Reply]
RedRaider56 02:54 PM 12-06-2021
Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath15:
This play is the epitome of what o.city and I are talking about.

Could/should Tyreek have caught this ball? Probably. Was high and hot, but definitely catchable.

But Mahomes is at fault here too. His footwork sucked, he threw sidearm from a ridiculously clean pocket and instead of hitting Tyreek in the numbers, he sails it high.

But wait..everyone in the game thread last night said that throw was behind Hill..Hmmmm

Was it a little high? Yes. Catchable? Absolutely.
[Reply]
O.city 02:56 PM 12-06-2021
It's a throw from 8 yards and look at where Hill is having to reach. You never want to throw it high over the middle. Only bad things happen.
[Reply]
mabbott 02:56 PM 12-06-2021

Maybe you should watch it again.... https://twitter.com/NFL/status/14676...ick-mahomes%2F
[Reply]
Molitoth 02:57 PM 12-06-2021
Originally Posted by comochiefsfan:
Pat doesn't need or want us to apologize for him. He knows he needs to be better. Look at the sidearm throw to Pringle, the multiple torpedoes into the dirt.

He absolutely needs to improve just as much as everyone else.

Take off the homer glasses and watch the games objectively.
Why don't you start watching all of the other QB's in the league and realize that not a single one is better than Mahomes. QB's have the hardest job on the field... and if they throw a pass that hits a WR in the hands... that's on the receivers... not the QB.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 02:57 PM 12-06-2021
I'd be curious if those numbers are actually available. My personal option is closer to 50% as it looked much more difficult at full speed than in the still.

With that said, if Mahomes sets his feet and throws over the top, he likely hits Tyreek in the numbers and the catch rate goes over 95%.
Next gen stats has them. I haven't seen any way to get them on a throw by throw basis, though.
[Reply]
WilliamTheIrish 02:59 PM 12-06-2021
#41. Was standing right in that line. By moving his shoulders and a quick pump fake, Mahomes moved him out of the way. And then zipped it into that spot.

Have to catch that ball. Have to.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 03:02 PM 12-06-2021
It's just unnecessary.
https://youtu.be/kgad9TXZEYw?t=414

He's trying to manipulate #41. He does two pumps to draw him over towards Gray at the sideline.

Cassel (yes, that fucking guy) made a great point in the 'Cassel dissects Mahomes' thread. He pointed out that a pump fake creates a drift. When you pump, you re-set your feet. And when you re-set your feet, you slide in the direction of your pump fake. It was really noticeable on the deep throw to Pringle a couple weeks ago.

It happened here as well. He doesn't leave the pocket - he pumps twice to get 41 out of the passing lane and it works, but not as much as he wants so he tries to curl it around him as he's reaching back.

In that maelstrom, everything he does there is 100% reasonable. The only person to REALLY botch that play was Tyreek Hill.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 03:07 PM 12-06-2021
I've watched that play probably 30 times now - watch 41 at the snap, he soft-bites on the play fake and then starts to settle right back into that short zone where he's gotta get the football to to hit Hill. So he pumps to Gray twice to get 41 to cheat towards the sideline. After the 2nd pump, it's shit or get off the pot time and he STILL hasn't gotten 41 completely out of that lane so he tries to drop his arm angle and get it around him.

It worked. Hill just didn't bring it in.

I don't see how Mahomes did anything wrong here. He manipulated defenders and got the ball through them into his WRs hands. Collinsworth acts like the ball got away from him but I think that's almost exactly where he wanted it to give Hill a shot at it in full stride.

Hill just clanked the damn thing.
[Reply]
OnTheWarpath15 03:08 PM 12-06-2021
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
https://youtu.be/kgad9TXZEYw?t=414

He's trying to manipulate #41. He does two pumps to draw him over towards Gray at the sideline.

Cassel (yes, that fucking guy) made a great point in the 'Cassel dissects Mahomes' thread. He pointed out that a pump fake creates a drift. When you pump, you re-set your feet. And when you re-set your feet, you slide in the direction of your pump fake. It was really noticeable on the deep throw to Pringle a couple weeks ago.

It happened here as well. He doesn't leave the pocket - he pumps twice to get 41 out of the passing lane and it works, but not as much as he wants so he tries to curl it around him as he's reaching back.

In that maelstrom, everything he does there is 100% reasonable. The only person to REALLY botch that play was Tyreek Hill.
I'd love to see that play from behind - I agree with everything except the bold. It sure looks like at the time the ball was delivered, 41 was to the RIGHT of Mahomes with Hill coming from the right to the left across the field.

I'm not seeing where a sidearm/three quarter throw there is necessary.

The movement? Sure.
[Reply]
mabbott 03:12 PM 12-06-2021
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
I've watched that play probably 30 times now - watch 41 at the snap, he soft-bites on the play fake and then starts to settle right back into that short zone where he's gotta get the football to to hit Hill. So he pumps to Gray twice to get 41 to cheat towards the sideline. After the 2nd pump, it's shit or get off the pot time and he STILL hasn't gotten 41 completely out of that lane so he tries to drop his arm angle and get it around him.

It worked. Hill just didn't bring it in.

I don't see how Mahomes did anything wrong here. He manipulated defenders and got the ball through them into his WRs hands. Collinsworth acts like the ball got away from him but I think that's almost exactly where he wanted it to give Hill a shot at it in full stride.

Hill just clanked the damn thing.
^^^ This ... all of this
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 03:12 PM 12-06-2021
Also, now you have to deal with the baseball nerd in me. He knows the timing of the route is off now (as he takes the snap he looks RIGHT where he ends up going with the ball, I believe that's when he saw 41 and knew he was going to have to move him).

So he knows he's going late over the middle and someone's likely going to close that hole in a hurry. Many of you guys have played baseball and recognize that throwing motion - that's a snap throw. That's a fast little IFers throw that you tend to do on throws that are shorter but need to get there quick. It's designed to speed up your release.

I think he was trying to speed his release up to make sure he got that ball there as quickly as he could and keep Hill from getting obliterated by 23.

Mahomes is playing 5D chess out there at all times, folks. If there's something he's doing that you can't understand - it's because you just don't understand, not because he doesn't. He absolutely did that for a purpose. As I watch it more, I think he was trying to speed up his release to get the ball there in time for Hill to catch it and brace for contact. He knew the timing was off after he had to pump twice and the window was going to slam shut on him.

That play was perfectly acceptable. Hill HAS to catch that damn football.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 03:13 PM 12-06-2021
I'd love to see that play from behind - I agree with everything except the bold. It sure looks like at the time the ball was delivered, 41 was to the RIGHT of Mahomes with Hill coming from the right to the left across the field.

I'm not seeing where a sidearm/three quarter throw there is necessary.

The movement? Sure.
I just expounded on it and I had to watch the slow-mo of the play. Suddenly it just jumped out as me clear as day as a shortstop throw. He was trying to get the ball out quick.

I think you're right that it wasn't an attempt to wrap it around the defender (Collinsworth misled me with the commentary there). I think it was a snap throw.
[Reply]
Page 16 of 26
« First < 61213141516 17181920 > Last »
Up