ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 403 of 3903
« First < 303353393399400401402403 4044054064074134535039031403 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
Dartgod 09:18 PM 03-17-2020
Originally Posted by stumppy:
Just call me Capt. Oblivious.
Heh. :-)
[Reply]
eDave 09:20 PM 03-17-2020
Originally Posted by stumppy:
Just call me Capt. Obvious.
I'm still trying to figure out what you said that warrents such praise.
[Reply]
BIG_DADDY 09:20 PM 03-17-2020
It's the way of ChiefsPlanet. Always has been, always will.

That said, I'd like to see this thread maintain a higher level of civility than the norm. There is a lot of good, important information in this thread and I'd rather not see it get lost in the bickering.
I don’t envy the moderators job in this thread. This is a huge subject right now and there is a lot of media trying to take advantage of that by politicizing all if it infuriating the public and then they come in here. Great job mods.
[Reply]
FAX 09:20 PM 03-17-2020
Originally Posted by tk13:
It's still the case. That's literally what people in the know are still complaining about. We haven't been testing at a high level at all and we still aren't. They will never contain it unless the government gets serious about it.

West Virginia was the final state to finally have a case, announced today. They've done like 140 tests. Total. We're finally starting to ramp up testing in this country but it's already too late. That's the problem. You're going to have a whole bunch of mild and asymptomatic people out there spreading this around like wildfire.
Which raises another of the crucially important unknowns, Mr. tk13.

If it's true that hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of people have had the disease and presented few or no symptoms (didn't even know they had it), are we to isolate those people, ravage their livelihoods, destroy their businesses and bank accounts and scare them half to death? Or is it wiser to isolate only those individuals who are "at-risk" based on current knowledge (i.e. the elderly and those with existing compromised immune systems and/or breathing-related problems)?

FAX
[Reply]
Halfcan 09:21 PM 03-17-2020
Quarantine Day 1: Out of Cheetos and Little Debbie Snack Cacks. Not sure I can hold on...
[Reply]
stumppy 09:21 PM 03-17-2020
Heh. :-)
:-)

You're not wrong. Been taking care of the four grandkids for three days by myself. My brain has been stressed the fuck out and not firing on all cylinders.
[Reply]
FAX 09:22 PM 03-17-2020
Originally Posted by Stanley Nickels:
Incredibly wrong and irresponsible.
86% of 11 million is 9.5 million (or thereabouts).

FAX
[Reply]
Titty Meat 09:24 PM 03-17-2020
KANSAS CITY, Mo. — Six of 11 novel coronavirus cases in Johnson County, Kansas, were “acquired locally,” according to the Johnson County Department of Health and Environment.

Seems like a small number but gotta wonder how many that infected is the question
[Reply]
stumppy 09:24 PM 03-17-2020
Originally Posted by eDave:
I believe I was the victim of some of BD's scathing sarcasm.
[Reply]
Dartgod 09:24 PM 03-17-2020
Originally Posted by BIG_DADDY:
I don’t envy the moderators job in this thread. This is a huge subject right now and there is a lot of media trying to take advantage of that by politicizing all if it infuriating the public and then they come in here. Great job mods.
Everyone has done a great job policing themselves for the most part.
[Reply]
LiL stumppy 09:25 PM 03-17-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
Seen the toilet paper isle lately? That's how we know it is hysteria.
The definition of hysteria is, "exaggerated or uncontrollable emotion or excitement, especially among a group of people."

The majority of American's do not fit anywhere near this description. There are no mass rioting or looting, no marshal law, no increase in crime that's been documented.

It's a country of people that are taking precautions as they should and as they've been directed to (minus the whole TP issue, which is the only ridiculous thing that's really happened.)

People are stocking up on food because they assume a federal quarantine is headed down the pipe and they may as well shop now, rather than later.

If you can't see the implications of this virus, on our elderly population and certainly our economic system, you are being ignorant.

It's not a joke, it's not game, it's a legitimate pandemic that is being handled as such.
[Reply]
eDave 09:26 PM 03-17-2020
Originally Posted by Halfcan:
Quarantine Day 1: Out of Cheetos and Little Debbie Snack Cacks. Not sure I can hold on...
Ha ha. I eat like a KING on grocery shopping day. Sweets are gone by day 2.
[Reply]
Stanley Nickels 09:27 PM 03-17-2020
Originally Posted by FAX:
86% of 11 million is 9.5 million (or thereabouts).

FAX
The suggestion is that 86% of all COVID cases were likely undiagnosed. So for every 1 diagnosis they estimated that there were 6 undocumented cases. This is on the order of tens of thousands. The article does not suggest that 86% of Wuhan had the disease.
[Reply]
tk13 09:27 PM 03-17-2020
Originally Posted by FAX:
Which raises another of the crucially important unknowns, Mr. tk13.

If it's true that hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of people have had the disease and presented few or no symptoms (didn't even know they had it), are we to isolate those people, ravage their livelihoods, destroy their businesses and bank accounts and scare them half to death? Or is it wiser to isolate only those individuals who are "at-risk" based on current knowledge (i.e. the elderly and those with existing compromised immune systems and/or breathing-related problems)?

FAX
The right answer is to get out ahead of it like South Korea did and isolate everyone who tests positive. But it's too late for that.

In theory if you shut everything down for a couple, three weeks you probably increase your odds if everyone obeys the order. Problem is people here aren't going to obey the order. It's hard to say you can just let people mill about normally when there's a disease spreading around we don't know everything about. We don't entirely know if there are superspreaders of this disease, and there are cases where people who seem to be doing fine deteriorate rapidly in a very short period of time. That's a dangerous wheel to spin. I don't think you're ever going to get any health official to agree to that.
[Reply]
BIG_DADDY 09:28 PM 03-17-2020
Originally Posted by eDave:
One of my best friends is a biotech founder as are some of my clients. I have a family member in a very high position in the government. Nobody truly knows exactly what is going on and where this will take us for sure. The fact that he doesn’t buy into anything too much is great in this doom and gloom thread.
[Reply]
Page 403 of 3903
« First < 303353393399400401402403 4044054064074134535039031403 > Last »
Up