ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 620 of 1208
« First < 120520570610616617618619620 6216226236246306707201120 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Fire Me Boy! What's For Dinner? Thread
Buehler445 08:45 AM 07-15-2015
Since the other one got too big, let's keep the food truck rolling. Whacha got?

Vol 2. http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=285408
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 06:52 AM 09-06-2017
Originally Posted by GloryDayz:
I've been using regular mustard on port ribs forever, and I've always thought it both helped with the binding and helped to tenderize the ribs. Whatever I'm doing I'm doing something right, they're awesome.

I don't imagine there's enough mustard to do any tenderizing action past the first thin layer of meat. I think it's probably your low and slow cook that's doing all the tenderizing.
[Reply]
cooper barrett 07:42 AM 09-06-2017
Plain yellow mustard, you will never taste it!!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
That's entirely valid, but it comes down to personal taste.

The guy in the film even specifically mentioned the particular reasons he chose soy as a thinner binder with a strong umami.

Just make sure that's the flavor you're after. I'm not a particularly picky eater, but vinegar/mustard is not my favorite pairing with beef or pork. If I want that sharpness, I'll go straight to peppers for the heat.

It's not as bad as lemon-pepper in that regard [sharp/sour], just something you want to be judicious with.

Also, regardless of your choice of binder, keep mindful of how it coordinates with your rub. The two should enhance each other, not counteract.

As coop mentioned, mayo is a good neutral choice if your main aim is to highlight the flavors of the rub itself.

[Reply]
cooper barrett 07:45 AM 09-06-2017
Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy!:
I don't imagine there's enough mustard to do any tenderizing action past the first thin layer of meat. I think it's probably your low and slow cook that's doing all the tenderizing.
I agree, as the mustard turns into bark and the yellow color never seeps into the meat even when you don't get a smoke ring.
[Reply]
tooge 08:44 AM 09-06-2017
Looks damned good
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 08:47 AM 09-06-2017
Originally Posted by tooge:
Looks damned good

Thanks. I think that's one of the best butts I've done. I don't do a lot of them, as I generally prefer brisket, but I got that butt for $.89/pound. I think that brine did a really nice job.
[Reply]
srvy 08:58 AM 09-06-2017
I've not found that a thin layer of mustard to help a rub bind and crust has any noticeable flavor.
Same I have used always save cheap yellow mustard and paint brush forever to bind rub to ribs and never noticed a flavoring. One thing I dont like is tobasco because vinegar but for some reason with smoking its masked.

Oh for you all wanting to smoke beef short ribs Sams Club had them on sale last night when I stopped in for pork belly cryo flats 1.48 a lb.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 09:26 AM 09-06-2017
Originally Posted by cooper barrett:
Plain yellow mustard, you will never taste it!!!!!!!!!
I wasn't laying down a rule. I was just expressing the variables. A long smoke will exap a lot of the vinegar in the mustard, but if it's not to your taste to begin with, there's no rule you have to use it.

Kind of weird arguing about the 'merits' of something you supposedly don't taste at all.

Close your eyes and reach your hand out into your spice and sauce cabinet. If you touch soy sauce, use soy sauce. If mayo, or mustard, use mayo, or mustard.

WGAF? :-)
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 09:46 AM 09-06-2017
Originally Posted by srvy:

Oh for you all wanting to smoke beef short ribs Sams Club had them on sale last night when I stopped in for pork belly cryo flats 1.48 a lb.

What are you doing with the belly?
[Reply]
Abba-Dabba 10:43 AM 09-06-2017
Been thinking of doing this.

[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 11:19 AM 09-06-2017
Just canned 4 pints of homemade apple butter.

I fucking love this stuff. Have to not keep much around - I'd eat it with a spoon from the jar.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 11:48 AM 09-06-2017

I fucking love this stuff. Have to not keep much around - I'd eat it with a spoon from the jar.
Apple butter might be the single best thing you can put on a buttermilk biscuit.

Whether it's sitting down at Cracker Barrel or on the go with Popeyes, those are my go to.
[Reply]
cooper barrett 11:56 AM 09-06-2017
Originally Posted by RubberSponge:
Been thinking of doing this.
Done that before with some habanero jelly glaze!!!
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 12:05 PM 09-06-2017
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
Apple butter might be the single best thing you can put on a buttermilk biscuit.

Whether it's sitting down at Cracker Barrel or on the go with Popeyes, those are my go to.

Totally agree.
[Reply]
cooper barrett 12:23 PM 09-06-2017

I ****ing love this stuff. Have to not keep much around - I'd eat it with a spoon from the jar.
Ever stuff a pork loin with apple butter? I know it makes a fine glaze but I was wondering if "sautéed onions, peppers and apple butter stuffed pook loin sounded like a good idea? It kinda sounds good to me.
[Reply]
srvy 12:29 PM 09-06-2017
What are you doing with the belly?
Bacon. I bought 2 bellies and have them in curing salts and marinade in spare fridge. After that pork belly burnt ends video I may go back Sams see if still on sale and give it a try. Though I'd try to cut back the sugars some I don't want burnt end candy.

Also agree on Apple butter but I go store bought Musselmans sadly.

Sent from my LGUS991 using Tapatalk
[Reply]
Page 620 of 1208
« First < 120520570610616617618619620 6216226236246306707201120 > Last »
Up