ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 9
< 12 3456 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Mahomes decline.....
synthesis2 07:48 AM 10-25-2021
I know I'll get picked to pieces on this but just some thoughts on the past few years..

Year 1 for Mahomes starting: Guy is unreal, plays fancy free without a care in the world. Throws over 5000 yards and on 3rd and short he is dropping back throwing 50 plus yard passes. Sets the NFL on fire and with the WORST defense in modern football history we make it to the AFC championship game and besides Dee Ford we win the superbowl. He plays loose even with a historically bad D we do just fine because for that one year we have perhaps one of the best years EVER by any quarterback that has ever played any year. I get he may not be first but a top 5 all time year.

Year 2 you see him get a bit more conservative and not throwing it around as much as he does year 1 but still looks like 90% of year one. He did cut down on turnovers which was good but still not quite as good overall as year 1. The defense takes a step up and plays decent. Even 90% Mahomes (of year 1) with a decent defense we win the superbowl. early signs that year was he was starting to become too conservative.

Year 3 Now we are seeing him dump the ball off all the time and not taking nearly as many shots as he did year 1 ( seemed to be cut by 60% or more) We have games that year that are way to close for comfort ( falcons game as one example) and we don't cover the spread in most games ( not that it matters but means we are just squeaking things out. One of the only games that season where Mahomes looks anything like year 1 was the Buffalo game in the playoffs and he looked like he was playing fancy free like year 1. Then in the superbowl ( I get our O line vs our D line) but he started dropping his eye quickly and not being the old Patrick we know. Like the pressure was just too much for him. But you could tell that the entire year he was off compared with year 1 and year 2.

Year 4 Look I love what he has done for us as a fan base and I'll never forget it but something is way off with Mahomes. He is starting to look like Alex Smith, he isn't keeping his eyes down the field anymore, he looks jittery, he looks shaken, etc etc. He looks like a AVERAGE QB in football. I know you can make the argument that "look at his yards" or "look at his TD's" but I could also argue "look at his turnovers" but its more of a eye test.
He does not look ANYTHING like the year 1 and year 2 QB, he just looks average. Its like his field vision and decision making has completely gone. I think at best we win 9 games but 8 games is probably realistic.

*excuses* People say he is pressing because our defense is so bad but in year 1 our defense we historically awful as well. Even with a bad defense we should of won the superbowl and it was our best team ( because of how he played) Good or bad defense if Mahomes played like he did year 1 we win virtually every game.

Teams are playing us differently, worst excuse ever, look at the QB's that EVERYONE knows throws bombs so teams play them deep like they do the chiefs..... Guess what? they continue to throw the ball deep and continue to win. Examples the Raiders, they throw deep , everyone knows it and they play it that way but they still throw deep all the time and still make the throws. Tom Brady everyone knows throws deep and he continues to and it works. Its like using that as a excuse makes it ok. Just go back to how you were in his first year, throw it around and have fun. This isn't working.

Bottom line is our team isn't great but we have enough players on offense that we can be historically great again but it all hinges on Mahomes. If he gets back to playing like he did then we are fine but if he continues to play average this team is a .500 team at best. Mahomes is the great deodorant in the NFL. but thinking of madden its like Year 1 he was a 100, year 2 he was a 95, year 3 a 85 and now he is a 75. If we now have a average QB then we are cooked boys.

Something is wrong, its one or all of these but its the money, new child, wife, crazy brother or other things but he isn't remotely the same player he once was. No matter how bad our defense plays if we get fancy free Mahomes then we win if we continue to get this version of mahomes then its over...

We have lots of problems and I get we need better or new coaches, we need better players, we need better schemes but at the end of the day we need a better Mahomes.
[Reply]
Bowser 08:14 AM 10-25-2021
I don't think it's an excuse at all to say he's pressing because the team around him his subpar. I think at this point it's becoming a verifiable fact.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 08:14 AM 10-25-2021
We are the 1985 49ers
[Reply]
Bearcat 08:24 AM 10-25-2021
The offense was incredibly efficient for the first month of the season, long 10+ play, 70+ yard scoring drives... outside of a few boneheaded interceptions, I really don't know what else people would want out of him.

Of course, the other end of that has been the Bills and Titans games, where he's seemed pretty frustrated... and who the hell knows, maybe he's been less patient in those games because he knows they have to score every time, and some of the play calls hasn't helped either (running it on 2nd and long)...... pick your fan narrative.
[Reply]
gldtalon 08:33 AM 10-25-2021
I'm not seeing the fire in Mahomes anymore. I agree year one he was amazing, playing like he enjoyed the game having emotion about it and WANTING to win. Visibly firing up the team getting better plays from everyone and that has slowly disappeared till we get to this year where I'm not seeing that emotion on a regular basis. Almost like we don't care if we win this game or the next. These are all talented professional athletes and I understand that they are human but someone needs to make all these individuals a TEAM who cares, who wants to win. Previously that was Mahomes, maybe someone needs to help him remember.
[Reply]
Molitoth 08:34 AM 10-25-2021
This isn't that hard....

Teams are taking away the deep ball and forcing the Chiefs to Alex Smith it downfield.

Now, the Chiefs are moving the ball between the 20's normally with ease... until... they shoot themselves in the foot with a Fumble, a tipped pass for an INT, or a penalty.

Teams have figured out they don't need to beat the Chiefs offense... they will beat themselves.

After this has been done a few times, the lack of confidence has snowballed and now the team has no confidence in the person next to them, so they are trying to do something special instead of just doing their job.

That said, when you have to punt on your first drive and the defense allows 14 points... you have to start pressing because playing Alex Smith football is not going to cut it.
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 08:34 AM 10-25-2021
Originally Posted by GoForIt:
Mahomes is not patient enough to play the short game. Neither is Reid with Mahomes as his QB. The offense was more diverse with Hunt. It has been the Mahomes show for the last 2+ seasons. The 2 deep safeties and 4 men across forces patience and running. The issue is the D is so bad, there is no time for patience.
I don't know where people are getting this. Mahomes is plenty patient. He's also watched his receivers and CEH piss away long drives with stupid mistakes. We were very efficient early on but long drives hurt you when your offense is prone to dumb mistakes. And yeah, the defense sucking hurts that because your offense starts to press a bit.

It's gotten worse in recent months because we flat out don't have an option besides kelce who can get open in the intermediate routes. You'd think we'd be jumping to get Gordon in to solve that but we keep sending our other receivers to run deep routes.
[Reply]
whats good 08:38 AM 10-25-2021
his brother is at fault. fag
[Reply]
penguinz 08:39 AM 10-25-2021
Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501:
I don't know where people are getting this. Mahomes is plenty patient. He's also watched his receivers and CEH piss away long drives with stupid mistakes. We were very efficient early on but long drives hurt you when your offense is prone to dumb mistakes. And yeah, the defense sucking hurts that because your offense starts to press a bit.

It's gotten worse in recent months because we flat out don't have an option besides kelce who can get open in the intermediate routes. You'd think we'd be jumping to get Gordon in to solve that but we keep sending our other receivers to run deep routes.
This makes no sense. We are the only team that signs players and then not play them. Other teams bring in players with less potential than Gordon and they make big impacts their first eligible game. No reason why Gordon can not be in running slants or other routes over the middle to give Mahomes a big target and help take attention off Kelce and Hill.
[Reply]
Ming the Merciless 08:41 AM 10-25-2021
we've also lost our running attack. year 1 we lose kareem. year 3 we lost Damien Williams. Year 4 now we have not hunt or Williams and CEH goes on IR.

hard to be a world beater with no run game and 1 WR
[Reply]
Ming the Merciless 08:41 AM 10-25-2021
we've also lost our running attack. year 1 we lose kareem. year 3 we lost Damien Williams. Year 4 now we have not hunt or Williams and CEH goes on IR.

hard to be a world beater with no run game and 1 WR
[Reply]
AdolfOliverBush 08:41 AM 10-25-2021
I put the bulk of the blame on the coaches. As much as I like Reid, he needs to a more well-rounded head coach, and allow an OC to call the offensive plays. Is Bieniemy worthy of being an OC, let alone a top head coaching candidate? How would anyone know, if he isn't even calling plays? Spags has to be fired, which goes without saying. The Chiefs have now fielded 3 of the worst defenses I've ever seen under Robinson, Sutton, and Spags. Enough with the old guys, time to find a younger, more fiery coach with some balls, and the ability to adapt to his roster.
[Reply]
FringeNC 08:42 AM 10-25-2021
Aaron Rodgers YPA collapsed mid career when he lost weapons and pass protection. Mahomes isn’t declining. He knows that the Chiefs really can’t really ever punt or the game is over. Combine that with turnstiles at the tackle position and rubbish after Hill and Kelce and that’s where we are at.

The tackle position is the glaring problem. The games where he gets decent protection we look fine offense. A bit unlucky but still prolly best in league.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Reply]
Bowser 08:47 AM 10-25-2021
Our o-line had an awful, awful game yesterday. The Tits were getting consistent pressure with a four man rush. Brown had his worst game as a Chief by far.

That said, Mahomes is way to willing to break out of a clean-ish pocket to try and create something bigger than what was there for the taking. This is because nobody on this team not named Hill or Kelce can seem to get open the majority of the time and is another indicator or how Mahomes presses to help his teammates.
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 08:49 AM 10-25-2021
Originally Posted by penguinz:
This makes no sense. We are the only team that signs players and then not play them. Other teams bring in players with less potential than Gordon and they make big impacts their first eligible game. No reason why Gordon can not be in running slants or other routes over the middle to give Mahomes a big target and help take attention off Kelce and Hill.
Agreed. I don't get it. He's not going to be worse than Hardman or Robinson in this area. Hardman is a good speed option but he's just not usefu enough l in the short and intermediate vertical game.
[Reply]
Priest31kc 08:53 AM 10-25-2021

Mahomes is dangerously close to that point where Aaron Rodgers was a few years ago where he thinks he can salvage anything into a big play outside the pocket so he's turning down a lot of realistic opportunities within the structure of the offense

— Mike Renner (@PFF_Mike) October 25, 2021

[Reply]
Jewish Rabbi 08:54 AM 10-25-2021
Originally Posted by synthesis2:
I know I'll get picked to pieces on this but just some thoughts on the past few years..

Year 1 for Mahomes starting: Guy is unreal, plays fancy free without a care in the world. Throws over 5000 yards and on 3rd and short he is dropping back throwing 50 plus yard passes. Sets the NFL on fire and with the WORST defense in modern football history we make it to the AFC championship game and besides Dee Ford we win the superbowl. He plays loose even with a historically bad D we do just fine because for that one year we have perhaps one of the best years EVER by any quarterback that has ever played any year. I get he may not be first but a top 5 all time year.

Year 2 you see him get a bit more conservative and not throwing it around as much as he does year 1 but still looks like 90% of year one. He did cut down on turnovers which was good but still not quite as good overall as year 1. The defense takes a step up and plays decent. Even 90% Mahomes (of year 1) with a decent defense we win the superbowl. early signs that year was he was starting to become too conservative.

Year 3 Now we are seeing him dump the ball off all the time and not taking nearly as many shots as he did year 1 ( seemed to be cut by 60% or more) We have games that year that are way to close for comfort ( falcons game as one example) and we don't cover the spread in most games ( not that it matters but means we are just squeaking things out. One of the only games that season where Mahomes looks anything like year 1 was the Buffalo game in the playoffs and he looked like he was playing fancy free like year 1. Then in the superbowl ( I get our O line vs our D line) but he started dropping his eye quickly and not being the old Patrick we know. Like the pressure was just too much for him. But you could tell that the entire year he was off compared with year 1 and year 2.

Year 4 Look I love what he has done for us as a fan base and I'll never forget it but something is way off with Mahomes. He is starting to look like Alex Smith, he isn't keeping his eyes down the field anymore, he looks jittery, he looks shaken, etc etc. He looks like a AVERAGE QB in football. I know you can make the argument that "look at his yards" or "look at his TD's" but I could also argue "look at his turnovers" but its more of a eye test.
He does not look ANYTHING like the year 1 and year 2 QB, he just looks average. Its like his field vision and decision making has completely gone. I think at best we win 9 games but 8 games is probably realistic.

*excuses* People say he is pressing because our defense is so bad but in year 1 our defense we historically awful as well. Even with a bad defense we should of won the superbowl and it was our best team ( because of how he played) Good or bad defense if Mahomes played like he did year 1 we win virtually every game.

Teams are playing us differently, worst excuse ever, look at the QB's that EVERYONE knows throws bombs so teams play them deep like they do the chiefs..... Guess what? they continue to throw the ball deep and continue to win. Examples the Raiders, they throw deep , everyone knows it and they play it that way but they still throw deep all the time and still make the throws. Tom Brady everyone knows throws deep and he continues to and it works. Its like using that as a excuse makes it ok. Just go back to how you were in his first year, throw it around and have fun. This isn't working.

Bottom line is our team isn't great but we have enough players on offense that we can be historically great again but it all hinges on Mahomes. If he gets back to playing like he did then we are fine but if he continues to play average this team is a .500 team at best. Mahomes is the great deodorant in the NFL. but thinking of madden its like Year 1 he was a 100, year 2 he was a 95, year 3 a 85 and now he is a 75. If we now have a average QB then we are cooked boys.

Something is wrong, its one or all of these but its the money, new child, wife, crazy brother or other things but he isn't remotely the same player he once was. No matter how bad our defense plays if we get fancy free Mahomes then we win if we continue to get this version of mahomes then its over...

We have lots of problems and I get we need better or new coaches, we need better players, we need better schemes but at the end of the day we need a better Mahomes.
Interesting points, I counter with suggesting you never post here again!!!
[Reply]
Page 2 of 9
< 12 3456 > Last »
Up